Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The first chapter of post-timeskip Eden’s Zero is out. The updated versions of most of the characters look pretty good to be honest.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Dec 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The time skip still feels kinda random.

And the latest Fire Force is just heartwarming before delivering a whammy of a twist.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Larryb posted:

The first chapter of post-timeskip Eden’s Zero is out. The updated versions of most of the characters look pretty good to be honest.

I don't see much of a difference for Rebecca. Weisz looks virtually the same, but has a softer expression I guess?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Darth TNT posted:

I don't see much of a difference for Rebecca. Weisz looks virtually the same, but has a softer expression I guess?

True, Shiki seems to be the only one that went through some notable changes as far as I can tell. As someone else said, the fact that they’re doing a timeskip at all seems kind of random but I’m at least curious to see where this goes.

Speaking of EZ, has there been any further word on when the second season of the anime is coming out yet?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Marry Grave's Author has a new series
https://mangadex.org/title/9f2571b9-f1ba-42fd-82d2-6d371e79ae62/soara-and-the-monster-s-house

With some incredibly charming art

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Build King but...

Good?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

All right, I’m in.

Loving the art style. He wasted no time in establishing an emotional core. I wonder where we’re going with this though.
Cool concept, with good execution.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Alacron posted:

Build King but...

Good?

Basically my thoughts reading the chapter. I'm already sold because Mary Grave was too good for this world so let's get constructing.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Yeah, hopefull this doesn't axed like Mary Grave did.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Yep that was a good first chapter, and has a better premise, world, and art than build king (and not drawn by a pedophile to boot).

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

:woop:

After Marry Grave I would be up for anything from the author, but even outside of that, this was pretty great first chapter.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

this is really good and I really hope it sticks around

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

There's a new chapter of Show-Ha Shoten

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/show-ha-shoten-chapter-3/chapter/23559?action=read

I'm really digging this series.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

There was a whopper of an update for Ragna Crimson and everything is coming to a head. There were like 3 chapters of setup leading up to 36 pages of unbroken, unspoken combat and my heart is still racing. Seriously, the sun cult is really interesting since they all possess time powers yet don't seem to be of a dragon bloodline and Artemesia was conscripted from their ranks. The look of them dying was elegant but disturbing. Chimera seems to have another early dragon like Crimson bonded to her but this might also just be a fragment of Crimson altogether that was grafted to the cat. And god, just Ragna finally opening up to Starlia, I really want this girl to live it's a testament to the writing that I'm this invested in her after really just a volume of engagement. Kamui better enjoy it because this is the last fight he'll ever have barring any time BS from Artemesia

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

There's a new chapter of Show-Ha Shoten

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/show-ha-shoten-chapter-3/chapter/23559?action=read

I'm really digging this series.

Same. I wonder if the author has a set length in mind. It seems like something that could run out of steam.

Brought To You By posted:

There was a whopper of an update for Ragna Crimson and everything is coming to a head. There were like 3 chapters of setup leading up to 36 pages of unbroken, unspoken combat and my heart is still racing. Seriously, the sun cult is really interesting since they all possess time powers yet don't seem to be of a dragon bloodline and Artemesia was conscripted from their ranks. The look of them dying was elegant but disturbing. Chimera seems to have another early dragon like Crimson bonded to her but this might also just be a fragment of Crimson altogether that was grafted to the cat. And god, just Ragna finally opening up to Starlia, I really want this girl to live it's a testament to the writing that I'm this invested in her after really just a volume of engagement. Kamui better enjoy it because this is the last fight he'll ever have barring any time BS from Artemesia
i keep forgetting that I want to read Ragna Crimson.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Ragna Crimson has to strike a very delicate balance between the simple-minded straight-forward seething bulldozer of cruelty that is Ragna and the disdainfully whimsical and explosive gleefulness of cruelty that is Crimson to keep them and their delightful interplay balanced and entertaining.

And most of the time,

it nails that aesthetic really well.

As much as i like the silverware pricess herself tho, her arc kinda... missed the mark in that way. I am glad it's over because, despite all it managed to achieve in building up this new suite of characters and people we love and the brutal ending to it that is so, so effective in elevating the villains to a new level, it's time to move on to a new battle and new encounters. And hopefully, more Ragna Crimson.

edit: seriously tho, the author is really good at making fun side characters, too. I want another extra chapter about Leonie. Hell, as many as i can get. Just pace them out and don't let them get in the way of the main characters' screen time.

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Apr 29, 2023

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Oh, what a fantastic start, I am hooked already

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Finally a correct popularity poll

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Doron Dororon is actually quite nice. I like it.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
todays dr stone chapter was amazing, and I hope that Stanley and Xeno get married at the end because drat that one panel was so :gay:

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Desperate Character posted:

todays dr stone chapter was amazing, and I hope that Stanley and Xeno get married at the end because drat that one panel was so :gay:

Dr Stone: Just bros being bros.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Mikl posted:

It's good but it really pales in comparison to Ayashimon. I'd like to see them both continue serialization though.

Ayashimon had another great chapter while clearly setting up some of the scaffolding for the series.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Cloks posted:

It's good but it really pales in comparison to Ayashimon. I'd like to see them both continue serialization though.

Ayashimon had another great chapter while clearly setting up some of the scaffolding for the series.

It was also a little bit more Yakuza, what with how yokai apparently explode into money when you beat them.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
In Sakamoto, apparently the Tokyo branch of the Japanese Assasin Organisation is based in New York's Flat Iron building?

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.

I really can't disagree with anything on this poll. It's amazing. What a great series.

Kind of worried we might be wrapping up, but I'd also be fine with that because it would be better to end as a really solid series.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Elfface posted:

In Sakamoto, apparently the Tokyo branch of the Japanese Assasin Organisation is based in New York's Flat Iron building?
The John Wick assassin motel, which is a cool reference tbh

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I really can't disagree with anything on this poll. It's amazing. What a great series.

Kind of worried we might be wrapping up, but I'd also be fine with that because it would be better to end as a really solid series.

I would have thought the opposite, isn't the fact that they bothered to host a character poll a sign that the series is doing well? It's only 2 chapters ahead of Roboco, which hasn't yet gotten a character poll.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I'm pretty sure Kobeni's car getting 8th place while Kobeni got 9th was enough to justify the first Chainsaw Man poll.

(The second one shows its value in that Fujimoto made the Aki comic all about Himeno.)

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ayashimon: More fun world-building and punching! A fight a chapter!

Elusive Samurai: And another threat gets handled in the span of a chapter but at least they worked for it this time! Also, oh gently caress, the bandit dude is back! Also, is the Mikado competent hero or just an incompetent visionary coasting on his charisma? Cause dude has not done a very good job of, well, anything.

Mashle: Dot couldn't get any damage in but he got Mash free. This is a win for Dot. Got a feeling so complicated right now.

Robocco: I have not read Robocco yet.

Sakamoto: drat some loving poo poo's gonna go down, holy poo poo, it's gonna be a bloodbath and it's gonna be loving LIT.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Mikl posted:

it's cute, but it's 2 chapters in and there's really no sign of an over arching hook into a mainline plot. They need to get going in the next chapter.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Jerkface posted:

it's cute, but it's 2 chapters in and there's really no sign of an over arching hook into a mainline plot. They need to get going in the next chapter.

In modern Jump, that might be too late. I've been wrong before (Didn't think Elusive Samurai would last this long, for example), but we're at chapter 3 and haven't gotten the basic dynamic with the other samurai, with the female lead not having even met the protagonist.

At the same time, we've got the protagonist leveled out of basic level interactions, easily thrashing monsters that supposedly veteran samurai couldn't handle and befriending his sidekick with no issues.

We talked about Chapter 2 problems upthread, and this is definitely looking like chapter 2 problems.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i feel like we have to start drawing a line somewhere for being too soon to get all doomer

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

People are in such a rush these days. It's just chapter 2 bro.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

drat dude, i'm reading Haikyuu 50 chapters in and they haven't introduced a female lead yet!!! Getting worried for the comic it can't be lasting long under these conditions.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

dogsicle posted:

i feel like we have to start drawing a line somewhere for being too soon to get all doomer

Jump moves fast these days, and the basic structure encourages readers to commit early. If a series doesn't get established in the first 3 chapters, it's much harder for it to become established later, with survey bumps needing more and more impressive chapters. Doron seems to have made a lot of the same mistakes as cancelled series, while in a competitive genre, at a time when Jump has comparatively little room for newcomers.

It's not like it's definitely getting canned. Miracles do happen, like Agravity Boys managing a full year, or Our Blood Oath getting published at all, and some successful series like Jujutsu Kaisen and Demon Slayer started in less than stable territory. But when a team's down by five at the top of the second, it's fair to say they're in a much riskier position than when it's 0 and 0.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

jump moves fast, except for how most stuff runs for 4-6 months

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I read Robocco.

Good chapter, I always love the ones with the editorial department.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

dogsicle posted:

jump moves fast, except for how most stuff runs for 4-6 months

Yes, Jump generally likes to see first volume sales before locking things in. Jump Editorial accounts for miracles too.

Even so, winners tend to get on a stable trajectory within eight chapters, while a lot of manga like i tell c, Candy Flurry, and Red Hood screw up in their first couple chapters, get bad enough ratings they do a desperate reshuffle, and then get canned when the reshuffle fails.

Again, it's like watching a baseball game. If a team gets down by five in the first inning, they can still come back and win. But it's much less likely than the team that's up five getting the win. And when Jump is crowded with series of a particular genre that have some level of success (like their current slate, where eight action series are selling at acceptable enough levels) there's less room for something to survive on sheer luck until it can stabilize itself, like Yozakura managed.

Begin as you mean to go on, as the saying goes. If you begin poorly, it's much more difficult to go on.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't think i tell c getting canned had much to do with the format of the first few chapters. it needed to be way better in every other way to pull off that batshit premise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

well it didn't actually cohere into a central idea until around ch8 but from then on it was solid.

it does seem a case of too little too late like Candy Flurry but pointing to ch2 as the watershed moment is just too ridiculous for any of these. Red Hood's awful start was a full 5 chapters in setup village, not just the second chapter being weak or whatever.