Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deathbysnusnu
Feb 25, 2016

Shipon posted:

gonna be real funny when this variant turns out to be more mild and this thread is denied the blood it wants

That would be funny and good but if you want an open invite to be kicked in the balls by reality being an optimist about *gestures everywhereishly* is a good way to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

'Everyone 5 and older should get vaccinated boosters are reccomended...'
They didn't even proofread this thing. Someone definitely leaked the news and the CDC scrambled to make an official release.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Testvan posted:

lol lmao

Fully Vaccinated, Two Boosters, Forcefield, No Takesy Backsies

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I'm getting my booster this weekend should I mix&match different vaccines or go for the same one

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Has vaccine production and distribution improved enough that the rich countries can get adequate booster supplies without further denying doses to poorer nations?

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
my guess is mild in this case = didn't require ICU or ventilation

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Given that like 90% of the people I know do not work remotely and do work in various positions where they have to interact with the public I would very much like a "mild" COVID variant thanks

Omicron is not mild

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

cr0y posted:

Apparently fauci also acknowledged that this may be more transmissible and vaccine evadey.
totally insaney
vaccine evadey

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Antonymous posted:

I'm getting my booster this weekend should I mix&match different vaccines or go for the same one

Just ask the vaxtender for one of each

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Dolphin posted:

Isn't the official definition of 'mild' cases of COVID-19 in the US anything that does not result in hospitalization or death? I seem to recall that from the early days of Delta as part of why the CDC's 'data' on breakthroughs and risk analysis was so worthless.
If I'm sick for a week, even two weeks, with the flu, yeah, if the disease might otherwise kill me I'd call that mild. But there's no planet where 'you are maimed physically and/or mentally for life' is mild.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

bowser posted:

Has vaccine production and distribution improved enough that the rich countries can get adequate booster supplies without further denying doses to poorer nations?

there's no production problem, the US already bought and the companies have made all the boosters necessary. the problem is no one in the US wants to take them.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Dolphin posted:

yes that is the consensus definition

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Dolphin posted:

that is the technical definition of a mild covid case--anything including hospitalization right up to but not including needing vent

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

free college, free healthcare, free Shmurda

Atrocious Joe posted:

a journalist asked Fauci if we should purposely spread Omicron if it's more mild

now i want a crypto bro to call it a decentralized vaccine

Serf
May 5, 2011

Dolphin posted:

i remember people shrieking and fuming that anyone dare question the integrity of a nuclear reactor that got hit by a tsunami

that reactor got murphy's law'd to hell and back and the outcome was still fine

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
Getting this news in a room full of maskless kids and adults has been a trip. But I think we all know it's likely everywhere.

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

mod sassinator posted:

there's no production problem, the US already bought and the companies have made all the boosters necessary. the problem is no one in the US wants to take them.

We've also had a year to ramp up production if US leaders really did want to distribute vaccines globally.

Not getting a booster in the US is like purposely eating a lovely diet to be in solidarity with those in the global south. It's just symbolic and doesn't really help anyone.

May 11, 2007

Contains Carbon Monoxide

Greg Legg posted:

Getting this news in a room full of maskless kids and adults has been a trip. But I think we all know it's likely everywhere.

Even if this guy was the OP Omni in the US, he had 8 days of spreading it already

Lamo

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
Just seems like a bad idea

https://twitter.com/fox6now/status/1466123721014485000?t=aR8W1tvWjJHWJmTi0aG5ug&s=19

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

703 posted:

Even if this guy was the OP Omni in the US, he had 8 days of spreading it already

Lamo

hahahahah

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SKULL.GIF posted:

yes that is the consensus definition
which implies to me that yes, we're at square one

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Huh guess sicknesses are about to get a whole lot milder since they'll be no hospitalizations for anything

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Antonymous posted:

Lie and say that you're getting your first dose for 100 mg Moderna as opposed to 50 mg. You'll feel like complete poo poo but it's the most protection of anything

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1466121157162278918?s=20

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

703 posted:

Lamo

if it is SF, and if they were full open biden while positive... we're going to see what happens when a drop of omi roni is put in the pool of highly, highly vaccinated people lol. SF is like one of the most vaccinated cities in the country, easily up in the 90% of adults

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

i say they do it - let's shut it down. i'm sick of it, aren't you? let's take a break and figure things out.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

so we've had omnom since the 22nd of last month?

which means everyone and their cousin flew through it and coughed it all over grandma?

Elea
Oct 10, 2012

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Trying to calm my nerves about the loving useless Dems by drinking a warm, soothing jin hou tea out of my tiny jacked up looking jizz mug that gets extremely hot to the touch and makes everything taste like jizz

edit: wrong thread but I'm also stressed about the kids finally getting their last shots like the day after the omicrom news came out

Vishass fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Dec 1, 2021

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Yossarian-22 posted:

Hell yeah my home state has the Omicron baby!!!

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
So currently how many global cases of Omicron are there? I know they pinged a few in Hong Kong, Canada and Scotland and the Netherlands but, like, many? Or are the bulk only in South Africa?
Like is it possible that as bad as Omicron is, that it in fact cannot stand up to our champ Delta and was only able to gain so much traction in SA because of people already being immunocompromised due to a blend of HIV and the locals having more 'natural immunity' than vaccine immunity.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

My wife just got a few halo masks with these filters that are impossible to properly insert. Are these any good?

I've not used them but I've seen other people in this thread say they are good.

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vishass posted:

Trying to calm my nerves about the loving useless Dems by drinking a warm, soothing jin hou tea out of my tiny jacked up looking jizz mug that gets extremely hot to the touch and makes everything taste like jizz

lmao

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Vishass posted:

the future we deserve

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man.

- Friedrich Nietzsche

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

https://twitter.com/fitterhappierAJ/status/1466127059189645314

anthony leonardi SHOW YOURSELF

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/rid1tweets/status/1466104401135910919?s=20

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

So currently how many global cases of Omicron are there? I know they pinged a few in Hong Kong, Canada and Scotland and the Netherlands but, like, many? Or are the bulk only in South Africa?
Like is it possible that as bad as Omicron is, that it in fact cannot stand up to our champ Delta and was only able to gain so much traction in SA because of people already being immunocompromised due to a blend of HIV and the locals having more 'natural immunity' than vaccine immunity.

Nobody knows. There's nowhere near enough testing for us to have reliable information.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Shipon posted:

gonna be real funny when this variant turns out to be more mild and this thread is denied the blood it wants

God if only. Unfortunately I really want it to be nothing and since I am destined for disappointment I'm just girding my loins.

Felt a bit of drainage in the back of my throat last night, immediately boiled up some cedar tea, climbed onto the counter and huffed that poo poo. Feel fine today. This sure is fun. I also ordered like four paint by numbers kits and bought 30 lectures on audible so I'm ready for a long winter of staying home.