Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

silvergoose posted:

Yeah it might come across that I'm passionate about this point. If the plot demands lots of white people for some reason, change the reason.

The country based skin color never felt remotely important to any plot, really. Cut it!

Aiel being redheads is important for the plot, vital even, because it ties them to Rand specifically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
They could have cast anyone and it'd work fine, at least if they stuck with that for the rest of the Aiel as well. "Desert Irishmen" is really funny, but the story doesn't really change or lose anything if they look different.

Just has to be something not really seen in the other lands since theyre isolated and there's no traffic between them and any other groups.

I do think the Aiel as is probably work best though, just because desert Irishmen are such a funny incongruous combo, and mostly because every other ethnic group is represented in a country west of the dragonwall, so you'd have to swap it up and pick someone else to be the people viewed as "foreign savages". That's, uh, not something you would really want to put on tv if you're using folks that look like actual bedouins or other irl desert dwellers.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Rarity posted:

Mother's milk in a cup is impossible to believe as a swear because the point of swear words is their short and explosive and mother's milk in a cup is neither of those

Nah, sometimes people just need to rave. There's an Irish curse that runs "May the ghosts of Mary Malone and her nine blind illegitimate children chase you so far over the hills of Damnation that the Lord God himself couldn't find you with a telescope". It's hardly concise, but I bet whoever said it relieved a lot of tension.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Nitrousoxide posted:

Aiel being redheads is important for the plot, vital even, because it ties them to Rand specifically.

They could have swapped it out for some other physical trait, it didn't have to be specifically red hair.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Wigs or hair dye are things too. I'm mostly just saying that skin color specifically doesn't need to be a fantasy country trait.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

silvergoose posted:

Wigs or hair dye are things too. I'm mostly just saying that skin color specifically doesn't need to be a fantasy country trait.

Hands down the best change from the books. No more "people from Arad Doman walk like THIS but people from Tear walk like THIS"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Interesting though that the first episode led right off with "in Tar Valon they made fun of my mother's peasant accent" and I was thinking, all right, I'll just take their word for it I guess

It's hard to know how much of this sort of culture-building in a show is intentional, I guess is what I'm saying. Some of it is "we're doing representation" and some is verisimilitude, like "this is literally what the characters look and sound like in-universe". Accents are difficult to present convincingly and as part of a pattern across numbers of people unless you really mean it (The Expanse sure did a job with this though).

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Data Graham posted:

Interesting though that the first episode led right off with "in Tar Valon they made fun of my mother's peasant accent" and I was thinking, all right, I'll just take their word for it I guess

It's hard to know how much of this sort of culture-building in a show is intentional, I guess is what I'm saying. Some of it is "we're doing representation" and some is verisimilitude, like "this is literally what the characters look and sound like in-universe". Accents are difficult to present convincingly and as part of a pattern across numbers of people unless you really mean it (The Expanse sure did a job with this though).

peasants = Northern English accent
highborn = generic French
villain = London accent

sorted.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Famethrowa posted:

peasants = Northern English accent
highborn = generic French
villain = London accent

sorted.

peasants = hank
highborn = bill
villain = boomhauer

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Rarity posted:

Mother's milk in a cup is impossible to believe as a swear because the point of swear words is their short and explosive and mother's milk in a cup is neither of those

My drill instructors would like to have a few words with you about this.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Data Graham posted:

In my head the Black Ajah put incredibly judgmental and petty sisters in charge of reviewing new applicants to the tower. They aren’t even dark friends, they’re just terrible people who tank the tower’s reputation because they’re the only Aes Sedai exposure most citizens get unless they’re royalty.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I just sort of assumed that she was either too old or not strong enough.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Colonel Cool posted:

that sorta thing makes a lot more sense when you realize that a full rear end fuckin third of the tower aes sedai were actually black, and a giant pile of the tower's actions and policies were designed to weaken it over time.

Democratic Pirate posted:

In my head the Black Ajah put incredibly judgmental and petty sisters in charge of reviewing new applicants to the tower. They aren’t even dark friends, they’re just terrible people who tank the tower’s reputation because they’re the only Aes Sedai exposure most citizens get unless they’re royalty.

this is just way more funny though

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Colonel Cool posted:

Or she couldn't channel. But it's not like they knew how to check for that or knew what it was in the two rivers.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

CainFortea posted:

My drill instructors would like to have a few words with you about this.

Motherfucking cocksucker has 1 more syllable than MMiaC

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
I suspect that her mentors story will turn out to be a load of fishguts.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

The show seems to have pretty happily managed both. Redhead Aiel, sea of diversity everywhere else :toot:

Though I wonder now if they'd have cast a non-white guy for Rand otherwise. Hmm.

Very few descriptions imply anyone at all is white in the book. I don't know that the show casting is much more diverse than the text.

The Aiel being canonically ginger is the only really major mention I can see of specifically white people as an ethnicity, and so far I'm on book 6 of my re-read specifically looking for mentions of race.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Jaxyon posted:

Very few descriptions imply anyone at all is white in the book. I don't know that the show casting is much more diverse than the text.

The Aiel being canonically ginger is the only really major mention I can see of specifically white people as an ethnicity, and so far I'm on book 6 of my re-read specifically looking for mentions of race.

Sea folk are darker skinned is the only other real whole-people ethnicity.

Past that various nationalities have individual single traits like "coppery skin" or "dark hair" etc. Cairhienin are pale and short. So forth.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Sea folk are darker skinned is the only other real whole-people ethnicity.

Past that various nationalities have individual single traits like "coppery skin" or "dark hair" etc. Cairhienin are pale and short. So forth.

I’m not there on my re-read yet but I think Tairens are explicitly dark-skinned. Is Tuon black? I feel like she was black.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Tuon is, for sure.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Tuon is black yes but the Seanchan generally are another post apocalyptic melange society and that's stated fairly explicitly. Rank and station matter there, not skin color.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

navyjack posted:

Motherfucking cocksucker has 1 more syllable than MMiaC

That's 3 swears in one phrase :colbert:

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
holy poo poo do the wheel takes crew need to stop referencing harry loving potter. Even when folks follow through and read another loving book, they screw it up

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Soonmot posted:

holy poo poo do the wheel takes crew need to stop referencing harry loving potter. Even when folks follow through and read another loving book, they screw it up

much worse are the episode recaps that are waaaaay too focused on explaining how the screenplay satisfies the rules of Save The Cat, imo

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Wheel Takes podcasts about the show have been real good.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Wheel Takes podcasts about the show have been real good.

Yeah I'm really enjoying some of the things they highlight that I never think about because I am much less familiar with tv show stuff

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

silvergoose posted:

Yeah I'm really enjoying some of the things they highlight that I never think about because I am much less familiar with tv show stuff

yeah ali's instincts for why they've made certain changes seem pretty solid. like yeah on one hand they did abell cauthon dirty, but they probably wouldn't have even spent time on it except because it's going to allow for some actual character development a couple years from now, rather than having him be another Tam that starts cool and remains cool and doesn't really change because he's great already

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I should probably go and listen to their show ones. I'm on part three of the great hunt finale

Edit: I don't want to sound down on the podcast, I really enjoy it and like supporting my chicago people, but listening to multiple episodes in a row, like I do on my days off when I'm outside with the dogs playing video games, certain things begin to grate on you.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

ChubbyChecker posted:

peasants = hank
highborn = bill
villain = boomhauer

It's canon that everyone in Randland sounds like Boomhauer to the Seanchan.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Pleads posted:

It's canon that everyone in Randland sounds like Boomhauer to the Seanchan.

I thought that the opposite was canon, that they sounded Texan to Randlanders?

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Jaxyon posted:

I thought that the opposite was canon, that they sounded Texan to Randlanders?

boomhauer speaks very fast and mumbles which is what the seanchan think The Westlands ™ people sound like

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Yeah I mostly meant just how drat fast he talks.

It's all a jumble, particularly since the accents in my head are just audiobook accents at this point. I think Randlanders talk fast but sound 'clipped' (idk what this means) to Seanchan, and Seanchan sound slow and slurred/mumbly to Westlanders.

Personally I like the audiobook Seanchan and I'm glad I did not know/they did not go with the southern drawl. But I do wish they hadn't used the New York accent for some of the characters, so it's a trade-off.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

the kramer seanchan sounds drunk or otherwise impaired. I think he does the voice by not moving his jaw. i don't remember what Kate Readings sounds like actually

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Just finishing Fires of Heaven and drat Nyaeive is a loving bad rear end.

Some thoughs on Fires of Heaven:

The story was pretty good it mostly focused on Nyaeive and Rand which are some of my favorite two characters.

Mat started coming into his own as a battle leader and now is in command so that was good

No Perrin! We hear absolutely jack poo poo about Perrin this book he doesn't even have a chapter! Disappointing.

Aviendha and Rand finally hook up and Rand is all like "Welp we gotta get married now"

Moriane loving Gandalfs! I'm pretty sure she comes back but still.

Rand really likes to throw around balefire even after being warned about it.

Nyaeve loving owns Morhedian again! and discovers that she is in Salidar with the other blues.

Someone kills Asmodean which I'm curious about

Mat kills Couladin, which I was not expecting we don't even see the battle just hear of the aftermath. That was kind of surprising.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 2, 2021

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Hollismason posted:

Just finishing Fires of Heaven and drat Nyaeive is a loving bad rear end.

Hands down my favorite in the whole series largely for that reason

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Hollismason posted:

Mat kills Couladin, which I was not expecting we don't even see the battle just hear of the aftermath. That was kind of surprising.

"Wait, the guy who I thought was the pivotal final boss of the book dies *offscreen*???" is one of the best takes I've heard on this one. :3:

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

silvergoose posted:

"Wait, the guy who I thought was the pivotal final boss of the book dies *offscreen*???" is one of the best takes I've heard on this one. :3:

Immediately next book:

"They tracked down Moghedien in a very busy village, created the first Ter'Angreal in 3000 years, and pulled in Suian/Leane entirely offscreen?"

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Dec 2, 2021

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm going to start Lord of Chaos this evening or maybe read a few chapters. I really wanna know what happens at Salidar and what the Aes Sedai plan to do with one of the loving Forsaken.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Hollismason posted:

I'm going to start Lord of Chaos this evening or maybe read a few chapters. I really wanna know what happens at Salidar and what the Aes Sedai plan to do with one of the loving Forsaken.

There's also a spoiler free thread btw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Hollismason posted:

Rand really likes to throw around balefire even after being warned about it.

This video makes a few references to things past this point in the book, but mostly out of context I think. Makes me laugh every time.

https://i.imgur.com/K2HxLhs.mp4