Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah don't know where the idea that they were "ascended fans" came from. They're trust funders who networked into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

jsoh posted:

their main qualifications are daddies money

tbf only benioff is a trust-fund baby, as i recall

but given who his dad is i can imagine a trust-fund big enough to support both him and a number of hangers-on

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah don't know where the idea that they were "ascended fans" came from. They're trust funders who networked into it.

I think it might come from that meeting they had with GRRM where it was said they knew a lot about the series and he trusted them to adapt it, but the only real takeaway was “they knew about R+L=J”, which isn’t exactly a huge thing that most people who read the books once would figure out.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah GRRM clearly just wanted the money if he actually used that mystery as a litmus test for "they read my work?" He should've asked them something like who wrote the pink letter

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Mameluke posted:

Yeah GRRM clearly just wanted the money if he actually used that mystery as a litmus test for "they read my work?" He should've asked them something like who wrote the pink letter

That books wasn't released yet. He should still have asked it.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Mameluke posted:

Well in 2007 when this discussion occurred A Dance with Dragons didn’t exist and so neither did any of the Northern Plot.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I don't know how this thread feels about fan art, but I made some stuff.
In the Forsaken sample chapter from TWOW Euron wears a crown made of black iron and shark teeth. I thought that sound cool so I made one out of polymer clay and a cake pan.

That was fun, so I decided to make another thing based on fan theories for TWOW and ADOS. It's suggested that Euron is a failed student of the Three Eyed Crow and that he might have a psychic showdown with Bran at some point. I figure for that to happen Bran's mentor has to die, and I'd guess Euron kills him. I thought it'd be badass for Euron to wear a three eyed crow's skull for a necklace.

I hadn't really sculpted since middle school art class, so they are pretty amateurish, but they were a fun covid project anyway.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Both of those are dope as hell.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
imagine still caring about these worthless books enough to do fanart

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Flesnolk posted:

imagine still caring about these worthless books enough to do fanart

imagine still caring about these worthless books enough to bitterly post in the thread about them on a dead gay comedy forum on a friday night

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007
That post sucked very much & those artifacts are cool.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

deoju posted:

imagine still caring about these worthless books enough to bitterly post in the thread about them on a dead gay comedy forum on a friday night

Hey I do that too. That guy is just a loser dickhead. Your artifacts are loving legit and we wouldn't give a gently caress about GRRM's brain droppings if they were completely bereft of value. That's kind-of the entire point of our collective buyer's remorse.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Oh. Yeah. I get that feeling. I just meant to express that that goon was a hypocrite in addition to being an rear end in a top hat.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

GRRM really hurt that man.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

GRRM hurt all of us

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

deoju posted:

In the Forsaken sample chapter from TWOW Euron wears a crown made of black iron and shark teeth. I thought that sound cool so I made one out of polymer clay and a cake pan.

That was fun, so I decided to make another thing based on fan theories for TWOW and ADOS. It's suggested that Euron is a failed student of the Three Eyed Crow and that he might have a psychic showdown with Bran at some point. I figure for that to happen Bran's mentor has to die, and I'd guess Euron kills him. I thought it'd be badass for Euron to wear a three eyed crow's skull for a necklace.

I hadn't really sculpted since middle school art class, so they are pretty amateurish, but they were a fun covid project anyway.

This is cool as hell.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I thought I'd mention that I finished reading the final book in The Expanse series this week, was just released on November 30th. Pretty great stuff all the way through, I'd highly recommend it.

The series is nine novels in total, along with a handful of short stories and novellas that came out between novels. The first novel came out 5 weeks before A Dance With Dragons. But for 5 weeks, you could say that they managed to release an entire 9-novel sci-fi saga in less time than it took grrm to finish a single book.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Dec 5, 2021

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Phenotype posted:

I thought I'd mention that I finished reading the final book in The Expanse series this week, was just released on November 30th. Pretty great stuff all the way through, I'd highly recommend it.

The series is nine novels in total, along with a handful of short stories and novellas that came out between novels. The first novel came out 5 weeks before A Dance With Dragons. But for 5 weeks, you could say that they managed to release an entire 9-novel sci-fi saga in less time than it took grrm to finish a single book.

it's probably not entirely a coincidence that GRRM's workflow hit terminal stagnation at the same time Ty Franck's writing career took off

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

I've been meaning to read The Expanse. I'm normally not into Sci-Fi, but I listened to a bit of Alt Shift X's interview with Dan and Ty and he made the world and concepts behind the books sound really interesting.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

First bit is good but it kind of went off the rails in a way that felt against what made the beginning interesting. I’mrs well written I just wasn’t on board for where the story went. I should probably give it another go.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The Expanse always sounded like a franchise that should be up everyone's alley but just... somehow isn't plugging in the way it "should." It'll probably get appraised as some sleeper masterpiece in decades coming forth.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I hadn't read the books, but my friend swears up and down about how great the books were, so I was really hoping to love the TV show. I was extremely disappointed when they shifted to making James "I am profoundly boring" Holden the main character.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

PittTheElder posted:

I hadn't read the books, but my friend swears up and down about how great the books were, so I was really hoping to love the TV show. I was extremely disappointed when they shifted to making James "I am profoundly boring" Holden the main character.

Is Space Jon Snow not the main character in the books? I’ve only watched the show.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Klungar posted:

Is Space Jon Snow not the main character in the books? I’ve only watched the show.

The only Space Jon Snow I recognize is that time Kit Harrington played the villain in that sci-fi Call of Duty game where he was basically just "Jon Snow as Cobra Commander".

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Klungar posted:

Holden is the protagonist from the beginning, so I'm not sure what the poster means by saying they "shifted" to that

it's an ensemble, but one with a clear Character 1A

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Dec 5, 2021

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

PupsOfWar posted:

Holden is the protagonist from the beginning, so I'm not sure what the poster means by saying they "shifted" to that

it's an ensemble, but one with a clear Character 1A

Crazy Space Detective is interesting, Holden is not, so it's easy to think that the protagonist is Crazy Space Detective, it just isn't.

It's definitely not some unrecognized masterpiece. It's a mediocre gritty space opera that runs out of steam after 3 books but just keeps going because at least the authors have work ethic.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

pseudanonymous posted:

It's a mediocre gritty space opera that runs out of steam after 3 books but just keeps going because at least the authors have work ethic.

Not anymore. The final book just came out. The Expanse is now officially finished.

With Wheel of Time being finished posthumously, that's now two long series of novels finished in the time we've patiently waited for GRRM to complete his work

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

TK-42-1 posted:

First bit is good but it kind of went off the rails in a way that felt against what made the beginning interesting. I’mrs well written I just wasn’t on board for where the story went. I should probably give it another go.

Yeah that's where I am with it, I really liked the first few books then at some point I got the new book and was all excited and then got a few pages in and just "ehhhh" and I stopped.

Is the show good? Is the show finished? Should I watch it?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

The show is good, or at least the first few seasons were when I binged them during a bout of what turned out not to be Covid..

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

deoju posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4mf35D7K_8

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I mean that stuff is pretty cool and I wish I was in any way shape or form that artistic. The book series is still dead and dumb.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah that's where I am with it, I really liked the first few books then at some point I got the new book and was all excited and then got a few pages in and just "ehhhh" and I stopped.

The final season of the show premiers this month. Only will cover content through the first 6 (of 9) books.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The show is good but they appear to be taking an odd route of "lets just end this at a weird mid point and not resolve the actual interesting parts of the book" Like imagine if GoT ended all the politics poo poo and just went "uhhh..ice zombies? maybe you'll see them in a cartoon or something down the road? lol later" [Roll Credits]

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

banned from Starbucks posted:

Like imagine if GoT ended all the politics poo poo and just went "uhhh..ice zombies?

heh yeah imagine that

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Klungar posted:

The final season of the show premiers this month. Only will cover content through the first 6 (of 9) books.

Show stayed very good up til now as well, looking forward to seeing the final season in a couple weeks! They've also teased that they might pick up the last 3 books somehow or other.

pseudanonymous posted:

Crazy Space Detective is interesting, Holden is not, so it's easy to think that the protagonist is Crazy Space Detective, it just isn't.

It's definitely not some unrecognized masterpiece. It's a mediocre gritty space opera that runs out of steam after 3 books but just keeps going because at least the authors have work ethic.

No, I'm pretty sure the whole thing was planned out in advance. I never felt like it ran out of steam, either. There was a book or two that felt like a bit of a sidequest but they had a full story they wanted to tell. Honestly, it's not a masterpiece of fiction, and it doesn't even rise to the level of grrm's writing -- there aren't a ton of subtle plots and foreshadowing and a million unseen characters working in the background, or anything. It's just a pretty good sci-fi story told in competent but straightforward prose, set in an interestingly realistic future, with a handful of intriguing sci-fi concepts to be thrown at the human race to explore how we react in times of crisis.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

PupsOfWar posted:

heh yeah imagine that

ha i mean in the sense of not even bothering with a wet fart ending

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Phenotype posted:

No, I'm pretty sure the whole thing was planned out in advance. I never felt like it ran out of steam, either. There was a book or two that felt like a bit of a sidequest but they had a full story they wanted to tell. Honestly, it's not a masterpiece of fiction, and it doesn't even rise to the level of grrm's writing -- there aren't a ton of subtle plots and foreshadowing and a million unseen characters working in the background, or anything. It's just a pretty good sci-fi story told in competent but straightforward prose, set in an interestingly realistic future, with a handful of intriguing sci-fi concepts to be thrown at the human race to explore how we react in times of crisis.
I suppose why this is why I never gleaned to it even though I would feel genuinely bag ragging on it. It's like--qualitatively at least-- the Wendy's of modern science fiction. It's good, even a little better than average, and not shooting for a Michelin star nor is it pretending to... but sometimes you really want that "good poo poo" and it's hard to find.

I got bored this weekend and did a deep dive on loving Animorphs of all things. Now that was a series that went some loving places. You could honestly repurpose the story beats as-is and just rewrite it aimed at an adult audience with some added swears, and the content would scale up near-perfectly and hit the zeitgeist probably even better than it did in the 90s.

Just not sure where else that is in modern sci-fi. Caste systems and neo-feudal dystopias are too close to the day to day reality to really be enjoyable.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
the expanse was not planned out in advance at all. it was a trilogy expanded into six novels and then nine. it was very clearly supposed to end at book 3 and should've ended at book 4.

ALLAN LASSUS
May 11, 2007

apul.prof./ass.prof.

Horizon Burning posted:

the expanse was not planned out in advance at all. it was a trilogy expanded into six novels and then nine. it was very clearly supposed to end at book 3 and should've ended at book 4.

Yeah, the first book was great, second was pretty good, third was ok and the fourth was such a loving chore that couldn't start the fifth when it came out and still haven't

But hey maybe now that it's finished Ty can go back to ghostwriting ASOIAF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

ALLAN LASSUS posted:

Yeah, the first book was great, second was pretty good, third was ok and the fourth was such a loving chore that couldn't start the fifth when it came out and still haven't

:same: