Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Midwest goons on team Yellow, Runnings has a big sale on cordless DeWalt tools. Free 5ah battery with one bare tool or the free 2 5ah pack with case and charger with 2 bare tools. Also a bunch of other stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

n0tqu1tesane posted:

For what it's worth, my uncle has an older (under 20yrs) Bosch job-site table saw and really likes it. His buddy who has a big expensive cabinet saw was impressed with its consistency and accuracy.

Thanks - that was the kind of info I was looking for.

I ended up passing on it because I couldn't get the fence to sit still and there were some problems with the blade height adjustment, which I saw mentioned in a few reviews. Bought the compound miter saw from him, though.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Anybody have strong opinions on the Milwaukee M12 rotary tool vs the Dremel 8220 12v? I have Milwaukee stuff, but their rotary tool has been around for like 10 years without an update and looks a little girthy, and has questionable reviews. I'm open to others too, but cordless is the goal.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I'm happy with my M12 rotary tool. It accepts all my Dremel 4000 attachments and while it could use more power, it's good enough for me.

I used it the other day to cut down some 1/2" galvanized steel pipe through an electrical outlet wall hole and it took a few cutting discs and batteries and was overheating by the end of it but it got there.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I hate the fact that to get a really good rotary tool you have to go air tool. drat it I don't want to carry a damned air compressor everywhere I want to use my dremel.

I know you want cordless but I will say that aside from the lovely flex shaft that came with it the little WEN rotary tool I have is p okay. I haven't burnt it up yet like *looks at giant scrap pile of broken rotary tools behind me sparking and intermittently catching fire* well...all those.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Literally A Person posted:

I hate the fact that to get a really good rotary tool you have to go air tool. drat it I don't want to carry a damned air compressor everywhere I want to use my dremel.

I know you want cordless but I will say that aside from the lovely flex shaft that came with it the little WEN rotary tool I have is p okay. I haven't burnt it up yet like *looks at giant scrap pile of broken rotary tools behind me sparking and intermittently catching fire* well...all those.

Is "rotary tool" the generic for dremel? Or is it basically a light-duty die grinder?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

HolHorsejob posted:

Is "rotary tool" the generic for dremel? Or is it basically a light-duty die grinder?

Basically anything die-grinderish.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
If you use it as a search term looking for tools though you'll mostly find dremel clones.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Here and in AI, I have made my experiences with my (now three) Milwaukee M12 "dremels" known.

They didn't get tons and tons of use, nor abuse.
The first two broke. I have a third, it still works but the chuck isn't really holding tools very well.
I use it for only one thing and when they are working properly they are great. But they seem to break easily.

TL;DR

They're not that good.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Literally A Person posted:

On Adam savages YouTube channel this week some dude was gushing over a jeweler's electric rotary tool set-up he has been using. Phoneposting or I'd find a link, but it was one of the year end favorite things vid.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

CommonShore posted:

On Adam savages YouTube channel this week some dude was gushing over a jeweler's electric rotary tool set-up he has been using. Phoneposting or I'd find a link, but it was one of the year end favorite things vid.

Like one of the ones with an external motor? I've seen them and been p interested. If at some point you get a brand name let me know and I'll take a look.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
Looks like a Foredom https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...089fcb85c40d6db

It's the first thing he talks about in the video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWdDgh7fpo

Effective-Disorder
Nov 13, 2013

CommonShore posted:

I instantly thought of that time Savage was practically selling that little Proxxon rotary tool with the separate power supply ecosystem, but this was not that.

Effective-Disorder fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Dec 3, 2021

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
I got one of those corded Proxxon rotaries from an acquaintance some time ago, practically new. Can't recall from memory which exact model (IBS something I think), but it's been thoroughly OK for something that retails at 80ish euros and is used very occasionally.

Also lmao at taking a the tool "advice" of rich guy like Adam "uses a brand-new Kurt vice like an arbor press" Savage seriously.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Just Winging It posted:

Also lmao at taking a the tool "advice" of rich guy like Adam "uses a brand-new Kurt vice like an arbor press" Savage seriously.

The guy is a professional maker-of-things so I wouldn't say his advice is bad. But I also wouldn't take home building tool advice from a model maker without a grain of salt.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
It also wasn't Adam.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

im late but i have a foredom TX thats seen 500+ hours of use and is still as sexy as the day i got her

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yeah it was just a video where a guy was like "I use lots of rotary tools and I found a new favourite this year," which is just a lead for doing additional research.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Weird, did that company just start an marketing push or something because the guy from Make Something used one in a video this week too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zE2HCQ70858

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

What's the best ~9 gal wet/dry vac? I'm happy with my old Rigid I have, but my dad's looking for one for Christmas.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
The answer is always gonna be Ridgid. I have the 5 HP 12 Gal model and I liked it so much, I bought another 5 HP 4 gallon model to keep in the basement. The 9 Gal model is "only" 4 HP. Depending on how set you are on that size, the 12 gallon is actually cheaper than the 9 gallon at Home Depot right now.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Not set at all, that just happens to be the size of the one I have. Thanks!

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I'm probably far more concerned about this than others, but with my 112-year-old house with tiny doorways, narrow stairs, and tight corners, the 12 gallon ended up being too big to comfortably move around the house, which is why I relegated it to garage duty and got the much smaller but equally powerful 4 gallon model for inside the house. But the 9 and 12 are almost identically sized, with the 12 gallon just being taller than the 9 gallon, so not a concern there either way.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

I got a Stanley bagged one on clearance at Walmart last year of all places and couldn't be happier with it. Metal cannister, not that that means much.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

This might be more of a woodworking thread question but I think that there's close to a 100% overlap between posters -

I've been looking at air cleaners for fine dust removal. I've been seeing stuff like "this will clean the air in a 20x20x8 shop 22x per hour removing 90% of particles larger than 0.5 micron" - if my shop is of greater volume than that (about 36x36x12 because it's also a storage area and garage) will the thing still be effective at keeping my from breathing the loving dust?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

CommonShore posted:

This might be more of a woodworking thread question but I think that there's close to a 100% overlap between posters -

I've been looking at air cleaners for fine dust removal. I've been seeing stuff like "this will clean the air in a 20x20x8 shop 22x per hour removing 90% of particles larger than 0.5 micron" - if my shop is of greater volume than that (about 36x36x12 because it's also a storage area and garage) will the thing still be effective at keeping my from breathing the loving dust?

This is the DIY forum so I gotta share this.
https://youtu.be/uM7mR-95KUg

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

CommonShore posted:

will the thing still be effective at keeping my from breathing the loving dust?

Short answer is yes. It'll just do less air exchanges per hour sure to the larger volume of your space so it'll take longer to get to fully clean.

Keep in mind these systems don't magically clean the air 100% every few minutes. It has the flow rate to filter a volume of air equal to the room volume every few minutes, but because the air is constantly mixing it's not actually filtering all of the air in that time. In my somewhat smaller shop it typically take a couple hours to get the airborne dust down to an acceptable level. I have a dust meter I got specifically to check this.

TL;Dr: wear your PPE no matter how good your filter is

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

canyoneer posted:

This is the DIY forum so I gotta share this.
https://youtu.be/uM7mR-95KUg

That's like the most DIY thing ever because it still costs about half as much as just getting a lower-tier air purifier anyway.

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Short answer is yes. It'll just do less air exchanges per hour sure to the larger volume of your space so it'll take longer to get to fully clean.

Keep in mind these systems don't magically clean the air 100% every few minutes. It has the flow rate to filter a volume of air equal to the room volume every few minutes, but because the air is constantly mixing it's not actually filtering all of the air in that time. In my somewhat smaller shop it typically take a couple hours to get the airborne dust down to an acceptable level. I have a dust meter I got specifically to check this.

TL;Dr: wear your PPE no matter how good your filter is

Thanks and yeah masks are still staying on for major dust-producing activities such as sanding and routing, especially in the winter when I can't open a garage door and just keep the air flowing through nicely.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Anybody need a 9-piece Milwaukee M18 cordless power tool set? Because Home Depot has this one on sale right now for $599, which is 50% off what it normally goes for. Comes with 3 batteries, a charger, and a tool bag.

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

CommonShore posted:

especially in the winter when I can't open a garage door and just keep the air flowing through nicely.

this is efficacious, right? Because that's what I do year-round lol

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

lil poopendorfer posted:

this is efficacious, right? Because that's what I do year-round lol

It's better than not doing it, but not as good as doing it and wearing PPE. From my reading lately dealing with fine dust seems to be one of those combined measures situations to be very safe.

TBH my biggest problem with the fine dust and PPE is that I only remember to put my dust mask on when I'm getting ready to do a lot of dust producing work - if I'm planning to set up to drill, chisel, and rout four timber-frame mortises, or to sand for an hour, it's easy to remember because it's part of the set up, but two quick rips on the table saw or a cut with the circ doesn't usually get the mask on my face. I then end up sitting in that dust for a while afterwards while I go back to planing, or working on layout, or whatever and then 30 minutes later I ask "why the gently caress is there suddenly sawdust on everything?" It's those situations that make me want an air filtration system. If it weren't for those lapses, I'd probably be fine wearing a mask and just having good ventillation.

I should probably make a storage solution that puts my ear protection right next to my dust masks. I never forget the ear protection because it has instant feedback.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
I went to the flea market this weekend with my gf and holy smokes, the place is a mountain of stolen cordless milkwaukee & dewalt tools. Was hoping to find a hand plane or two to restore, but all they had were #5's (which i already have) or block planes with non-adjustable throats.

I'm debating borrowing a battery from work and going back there to test prospective purchases. I'd love a cordless angle grinder for rough cleanup on metal, maybe a jigsaw. Any big things to watch out for with flea market tools?

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
I need to drill 28 7/8" holes for some shelves I want to build and I'm trying to figure out the best way to do it without a drill press. I came across a portable drill press/guide that I could clamp to the boards and use my drill with but am I just wasting money on that? I'm wondering if I might just be better off renting an actual drill press.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I asked about this quite a while ago in the thread, but after having the Worx WG509 leaf blower/sucker/mulcher for a full fall season now, I gotta say, this thing is loving awesome. Blow leaves into piles, and mulch the hell out of them.

I’ve got 3 large trees in my front yard and I can clean the whole front yard up in 20 mins. Last year, without the mulcher, it took probably 4 green waste cans to clean all the leaves up, and had to do it 3-4x in total. With the mulcher, I can fit one round of leaves into maybe 1/3 of one green waste can vs 4. This thing rules.

The specs say 16 or 18x munching, which is not accurate, but it does do 10-12x easily. It definitely works WAY better on larger leaves. It can’t actually mulch tiny oak leaves, which is unfortunate because I have a 45-foot blue oak that shits all over my backyard.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I asked about this quite a while ago in the thread, but after having the Worx WG509 leaf blower/sucker/mulcher for a full fall season now, I gotta say, this thing is loving awesome. Blow leaves into piles, and mulch the hell out of them.

I’ve got 3 large trees in my front yard and I can clean the whole front yard up in 20 mins. Last year, without the mulcher, it took probably 4 green waste cans to clean all the leaves up, and had to do it 3-4x in total. With the mulcher, I can fit one round of leaves into maybe 1/3 of one green waste can vs 4. This thing rules.

The specs say 16 or 18x munching, which is not accurate, but it does do 10-12x easily. It definitely works WAY better on larger leaves. It can’t actually mulch tiny oak leaves, which is unfortunate because I have a 45-foot blue oak that shits all over my backyard.

I'm pretty sure I was one of the ones recommending it because it really is an amazing machine. Glad it's working out for you. I'm still amazed to this day how well it works.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Anyone have this Ryobi scroll saw? https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-1-2-Amp-Corded-16-in-Scroll-Saw-SC165VS/205419917 Is it more or less decent or Very Frustrating? My dad was asking about a scroll saw-he mostly just sort of piddles around with little stuff, and wants something that is not too hard to move on/off a benchtop and most of the other scrool saws I see are much bigger and more expensive.

E: this harbor freight one seems to be roughly identical too: https://www.harborfreight.com/power-tools/power-saws/band-saws-scroll-saws/16-in-variable-speed-scroll-saw-62519.html

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
If you're going for a budget scroll saw I'd get one with a light, the Wen has decent reviews (which state you get what you pay for) and has a flex light.

I say only worry about the light on a budget pick because when you get to the higher end it makes more sense to ignore the need if it's a good saw and just retrofit a good light.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Anyone have this Ryobi scroll saw? https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-1-2-Amp-Corded-16-in-Scroll-Saw-SC165VS/205419917 Is it more or less decent or Very Frustrating? My dad was asking about a scroll saw-he mostly just sort of piddles around with little stuff, and wants something that is not too hard to move on/off a benchtop and most of the other scrool saws I see are much bigger and more expensive.

E: this harbor freight one seems to be roughly identical too: https://www.harborfreight.com/power-tools/power-saws/band-saws-scroll-saws/16-in-variable-speed-scroll-saw-62519.html

A friend of mine makes like handicrafts and christmas decorations and I think she uses that one and likes it. If her recommendation is on point it's a good piddling around with little stuff tool, but admittedly that's a few degrees of separation in the anecdote.

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

yoohoo posted:

I need to drill 28 7/8" holes for some shelves I want to build and I'm trying to figure out the best way to do it without a drill press. I came across a portable drill press/guide that I could clamp to the boards and use my drill with but am I just wasting money on that? I'm wondering if I might just be better off renting an actual drill press.

7/8" is pretty big, for furniture I'd say drill press. An auger bit that size is gonna be pretty long too, maybe too long for a jig.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Hand drill and something like the rocker jig will be fine. I've done 2" fosners with it (clamped).