Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Sab669 posted:

I asked the other day what her major plot contributions even were because I couldn't remember a single thing and the responses I got made me think she can absolutely be cut lol.

This is the worst opinion ever expressed in relation to the franchise. drat. Wow. WOW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

serious talk they better let min have jokes, she's routinely the funniest character

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I kind of wonder if they're going to show Min's visions. That would be interesting visually.

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
It was a few pages ago about the hero mark, but if you pause episode 5 at like 18:25, I believe thats a Heron on the scabbard plain as day, might be how he gets the brand instead of from the hilt of the sword.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Hexel posted:

I don't feel like the show has been holding back on shocking things.

I know the whitecloaks scrubbing Egwene certainly made me queasy.

That was a thoroughly creepy and unnerving scene, yeah. At least to me, the seemingly detached nature of it, and using what looked like horse-brushes just really drove home how utterly dehumanizing that whole sequence was.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Pleads posted:

This is the worst opinion ever expressed in relation to the franchise. drat. Wow. WOW.

Admittedly I listened to like half the books as audiobooks instead of reading them, which I'm prone to just tuning out and not even noticing, but yea she was one of the least memorable characters for me :shrug:

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

cool seer, nice pants, fun jokes, what's not to like

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Min rules, unless you are a loser that hates cool and funny things

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

I thought I saw a heron on the pommel (the flat side). Damned if I can find a screenshot anywhere of that part of the sword.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

rocketrobot posted:

I thought I saw a heron on the pommel (the flat side). Damned if I can find a screenshot anywhere of that part of the sword.

Do you remember what scene you saw it in? Because this is the best picture I can find of it and yea, the pommel is not shown.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Maybe he grips the ricasso there.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I didn't say I don't like her, just that I couldn't recall like a single accomplishment / contribution of hers other than "sees things" and "bones the dragon" :v:

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Shageletic posted:

Eh kinda nothingburger of an episode. There's only 8 of them. Each one should be a little movie. Side character eating all this up...I dunno, its bad plotting economy.
I agree that it's bad economy of the screen time. This would have been a well paced episode for a show that runs 5-10 minutes longer and has 10 episodes per season.

I feel like there's got to be 5-10 minutes left on the cutting room floor every episode of 1-2 minutes per for the EF5 to flesh them out a little more. And then cut the 5-10 minutes they've wasted on building up side characters that are all dead already(dark friend inn keeper, Karene, and now her warder). Or add 2 episodes per season.

They've got a lot of work to do to make non-readers give a single poo poo about Rand with only 3 episodes remaining this season. The show only audience knows and cares more about the dead dark friend inn keeper and the dead warder than Rand.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
There's really not a ton of plot left if you compare where the show is vs the book at this point. From Caemlyn they head to a stedding, take the ways to Fal Dara, and then head to the Blight for the climax. Easily doable in 3 episodes.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

ad090 posted:

It was a few pages ago about the hero mark, but if you pause episode 5 at like 18:25, I believe thats a Heron on the scabbard plain as day, might be how he gets the brand instead of from the hilt of the sword.

Hey, you're right!

Okay, people should definitely be picking up on that.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

RC Cola posted:

Yeah she's the closest the series gets to an audience surrogate. Like yeah she has her vision powers but besides that she's not a fighter and she can't do magic and she's not got political clout, she's just a normal person trying to survive the apocalypse as best she can

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Given that we know that the scooby gang is going to be spending a fair whack of next episode in Tar Valon, AND the fact that now Lan has some coping to do, AND that Ep6 is Sanderson's favorite episode, I think we're going to get the Lan Training Montage with at least Rand next episode. With the Flame and the Void.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Sab669 posted:

"bones the dragon" :v:
Y'know, considering that the fate of the world ultimately hinges on Rand's emotional state, that is probably a bigger contribution to the victory of the Light than literally anything any other character does :thunk:

A world saved by hot tender lovin'

RC Cola posted:

This is the real answer tho :colbert:

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Min's also the most prominent non-channeling woman character, right?

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Sab669 posted:

Admittedly I listened to like half the books as audiobooks instead of reading them, which I'm prone to just tuning out and not even noticing, but yea she was one of the least memorable characters for me :shrug:
You ever consider maybe pulling back on your hot takes, given the situation that you didn't pay attention to like half the series?

Walter Sobchak : Were you listening to The Dude's story, Donny?

The Dude : Walter...

Donny : What?

Walter Sobchak : Were you listening to The Dude's story?

Donny : I was bowling.

Walter Sobchak : So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Min's also the most prominent non-channeling woman character, right?

Yeah. Maybe Tuon if you count her as non channeling.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I don’t think you can.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Toun can channel though!

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

eke out posted:

cool seer, nice pants, fun jokes, what's not to like

see but like...that's all she gets. she's just kinda there as Rand's muse and exposition device in most scenes. it sucks. I wanted more Min, but she was written pretty thinly.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Toun can channel though!

Having the potential to channel if trained is not the same as being able to channel!

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

The more I think about it the more I hope we keep all 13 forsaken. I'm ok with some being cut I guess. But I like some of them getting chumped by Moiraine and Rand. The Be'lal balefire is a top 10 moment for me.

Ishamael: We know he's around already.
Lanfear: her statue was definately there with the belt. And she's pretty crucial to explaining some plot, Perrin vs her, Moiraine vs her. Rand rejecting glory etc.
Rahvin: Important, but I could see him being combined with Sammael. After being defeated in Andor, he just flees to Illian maybe?
Demandred: Taimandred would make sense here. I don't think Shara showing up will make sense, but I can see it happening still.
Sammael: The beard statue was clearly him. Again, I'm hoping for combining him with Rahvin. This might cause issues with book 3, since Moiraine/Perrin have to flee his golden bee darkhounds. Which is before book 5 when Rahvin dies
Aginor: Will probably be combined with Balthamel. He created the trollocs at least. Balthamel does nothing really outside of reincarnation stuff, which might get cut, who knows. If they do cutting, I can see him being a combination of Osangar /Arangar
Balthamel: See what I said about Aginor
Asmodean: We need him to teach Rand. I guess that can be replaced with Rahvin actually maybe. See Rand fighting him for choedan kal instead. Its possible, but I think we keep Asmodean.
Be'lal: We need someone to get chumped by Moiraine. But I guess he can be cut because there is a showdown with Ishamael already.
Semirhage: She can get combined with Graendal. Both are healers just mind vs body. Graendal torturing Min would also set up Rand later on to be motivated as Darth Rand to blow up Natrim's Barrow.
Mesaana: Should probably exist for Egwene to beat. Maybe she's combined with Alviarin instead though. I like the idea of Alviarin being raised to forsaken like Taim was. She can be cut I think.
Graendal: She has boob statue. She's around. And again, necessary for a lot of plotting and intrigue. She's gonna be a great television presence. And they can do all the boob stuff that horny nerds liked in GoT I guess.
Moghedien: Spiderweb statue. Necessary for Nynaeve's arc. Cutting her would be criminal imo. Ignore that Moghedien has been my mmo handle for 20~ years.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Invalid Validation posted:

I don’t think you can.

ok then Min is the most prominent non channeling woman in the series.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

RC Cola posted:

So the group will be going to the ways to the Eye of the World next right? Will Mat get cured now, or will they leave a link to the dagger to give him/Rand a reason to chase the Horn other than chasing the Horn
Right now we have absolutely zero reason for them to be going any where else. Moiraine has achieved what she set out to do (and never did in the books): Get the Dragon Reborn to Tar Valon, where he can be brought under control.

I'm expecting a Foretelling or something like that (Min?) to happen that makes it clear that they need to immediately leave for the Borderlands. Maybe even against the (official) wishes of the Amyrlin Seat (and all other Aes Sedai) - otherwise why would they leave alone (we saw them in some trailers) instead of bringing other Aes Sedai and soldiers/Warders with them. This would make the argument for deposing Siuan a lot stronger - not only did she secretly try to find the Dragon Reborn, but she then had him and let him leave!

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

RC Cola posted:

ok then Min is the most prominent non channeling woman in the series.

mistress luhhan erasure

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
In the books didn't Ishamael rave in their dreams that the Eye of the World will never serve you or something like that, and that's what sparks Moiraine to detour and decide to go to Fal Dara, and from there the blight. I don't see why they'd have to change that for the show since he's already loving with them in their dreams anyway.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

rocketrobot posted:

Let me tell you about this book called Crossroads of Twilight

lol don't remind me.

Here's hoping the show gets back to it.

e: here I thought I was a WOT nerd but it took this page for me to realize that Alviarin and Liandrin weren't the same person. Jesus christ they're giving Liandrin alot of characterization, and I completely forgot what happened to her in the books.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Dec 3, 2021

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

ad090 posted:

In the books didn't Ishamael rave in their dreams that the Eye of the World will never serve you or something like that, and that's what sparks Moiraine to detour and decide to go to Fal Dara, and from there the blight. I don't see why they'd have to change that for the show since he's already loving with them in their dreams anyway.

I believe the Ogier get a message as well about how the Dark One seeks to blind the Eye of the World, so maybe it'll come through Loial?

edit:

quote:

“And you tracked me? You slug under a rock, track me? I began the setting of your path the day you were born, a path to lead you to your grave, or here. Aiel allowed to flee, and one to live, to speak the words that would echo down the years. Jain Farstrider, a hero,” he twisted the word to a sneer, “whom I painted like a fool and sent to the Ogier thinking he was free of me. The Black Ajah, wriggling like worms on their bellies across the world to search you out. I pull the strings and the Amyrlin Seat dances and thinks she controls events.”

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

ad090 posted:

This plus Loial with a message from the Aiel, and Perrin/Egwene with a message from the Tinkers
efb

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Shageletic posted:

e: here I thought I was a WOT nerd but it took this page for me to realize that Alviarin and Liandrin weren't the same person. Jesus christ they're giving Liandrin alot of characterization, and I completely forgot what happened to her in the books.

She tries to get the rest of her gang of Blacks to turn on Moghedien and gets mind hosed for her troubles. Can't remember what happens after that.

e: The wiki says she's last seen collared by Suroth.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Moggy shields her and then inverts and triple ties off the shield, effectively stilling her without stilling her, then tells some other dark friends to treat her like a maid for the rest of her life. Presumably she’s still in. Amidicia When the seanchan roll in and take the place. Suroth picks her up as a curiosity: a marath’damane that can’t channel

This episode was weird. It’s fine as a piece of filmmaking, but it’s kind of weird in the abstract to spend so much time setting up the consequences of what happens when a warder loses his Aes Sedai when that’s not going to happen again for…. What, two or three more seasons, even assuming they compress the books a lot?

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Moggy shields her and then inverts and triple ties off the shield, effectively stilling her without stilling her, then tells some other dark friends to treat her like a maid for the rest of her life. Presumably she’s still in. Amidicia When the seanchan roll in and take the place

The worst part is Mogs uses some really strong Compulsion to tell her to live. Coupled with her basic survival instinct, Liandrin can't even suicide out of the situation. I remember it clearly because it struck me as one of the most nasty things that any of the Forsaken ever do, behind Rahvin and Graendal's mindfuck horrors

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

CainFortea posted:

Do you remember what scene you saw it in? Because this is the best picture I can find of it and yea, the pommel is not shown.

No but this looks like there's something https://www.tvfanatic.com/gallery/rand-and-mat-on-horses-the-wheel-of-time-s1e2/

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Isn't Elaida's ultimate fate getting carried off by the Seanchan too?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Hexel posted:

Isn't Elaida's ultimate fate getting carried off by the Seanchan too?

Sure is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

God I hate the loving Seanchan