Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

HolHorsejob posted:

Lol either a homeowner special or the lowest bidder. Sorry you have to deal with that.

I should start posting pictures. It's seriously dunning-kruger level homeownership. The current owner even pays to have stuff repaired and it's still totally half-assed, even when the repair is "good." Like they don't know what "up" and "down" on light switches mean levels of incompetence.

Like, a lot of lovely handymen will sawzall a hole in the wall to access a pipe. I've got a hole in the wall with no pipe behind it. Just completely random.

Most lovely handymen screw in some panel in top. Mine didn't. It's literally just leaning there.

I found out because the wind was strong one day and the hole in the basement is apparently connected through the walls to the loving outdoors, and the wind blew the un-screwed plate on to the floor.

I really, really, really hate killing things. Like I catch bugs and release them outside. I have had to dispose of 4 mice this last month because the place is so full of holes and they can freely run roughshod through the place because apparently the entire place is basically the outdoors. Wish I could find out the architects name so I could piss on his grave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

HolHorsejob posted:

drat, good luck heating that 1/3. Yeah, forced air is completely useless if you have preposterously high ceilings. Radiators probably wouldn't be much better. I'd recommend getting a quote on radiant floor heating if you can.

How many square feet is the house, and which rooms have the church sanctuary ceiling?

Ceiling fans are going to be installed for sure. It's 1663 sq ft with a full 9' basement. I have 2" iso board on the outside and am putting in R24 insulating between the studs.

Radiant floor isn't an option as the doors are already installed for 3/4" flooring.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

HolHorsejob posted:

No pleasure, no rapture, no exquisite sin greater than the heat from an ancient, deathly inefficient heating system.

High-efficiency gas furnaces are great for your energy bill, but having air come out of your vents just below skin temperature is a real letdown. High-efficiency gas boilers, same deal.

You want the real deal? You need an oil furnace. They usually come set from the factory at a 70F rise (i.e. 140F air coming out of your vents), and can be fired up to a 100F rise (170F air at your vents) with no trouble.

That was a big selling point for 'little old ladies'. They didn't want to move to natural gas and get a tepid breeze from their furnace vents, they need to feel the heat in their bones.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

HolHorsejob posted:

In heating devices, efficiency is inversely proportional to the temperature gradient between the supply and return air/water temperatures. Less efficient devices = wider temperature gap between inlet (return) and outlet (vent/radiator). This is because one of the ways to make a system more efficient is to increase the air/water flow relative to the amount of heat generated.

What this means is that furnaces & boilers that are 80% efficient (or less, for truly ancient equipment) put out air/water at pleasantly scalding temperatures.

Yeah but this has nothing to do with what I'm talking about. The reason water heat is good isn't anything to do with a blast of heat - with radiator covers you don't really get that anyway. It's the more even heat in an old leaky house, and it's the lack of hot dry air constantly drying your eyes and skin out.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Radiator heat rules. I would always put my towel in the radiator before I got in the shower. And you can put your outerwear on the radiator while you get ready to leave for a little boost as you head out the door.

As others have said it just feels even.

A friend of mine lives in an old apartment building in Denver and keeps about half of hers off, since they are so hot. The ones I lived with were very warm and you couldn't hold on to them forever but you could touch them for a bit. Hers are dangerously hot and you can't touch for more than 2-3 seconds. I think they're legit steam. Don't do that.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Splode posted:

Tbh I am always shocked by how flimsy American houses seem.

In particular when there's the aftermath of a gas main explosion and there's just nothing left of the house but match sticks.

Where are the bricks??
Is it a climate thing? Or is it just a cheap thing?

Here is a decent-ish explanation of why US homes are built the way they are, but the TL;DW of it is that the post-war boom meant a lot of people wanted housing very quickly and it was a cheap and easy way of building out entire subdivisions in record time. Pick a couple of prints (optional, there are plenty where all the houses are the exact same), throw up a few dozen houses, and sell the American Dream to all of those people flush with cash.

https://youtu.be/wpxLLCdW_Gc

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Freaquency posted:

Here is a decent-ish explanation of why US homes are built the way they are, but the TL;DW of it is that the post-war boom meant a lot of people wanted housing very quickly and it was a cheap and easy way of building out entire subdivisions in record time. Pick a couple of prints (optional, there are plenty where all the houses are the exact same), throw up a few dozen houses, and sell the American Dream to all of those people flush with cash.

https://youtu.be/wpxLLCdW_Gc

That even happens now on a small scale.

It's common in my city for a big lot to get subdivided after the original house gets demolished and then two identical houses take the spot. I'm sure in more extreme cases the replacement houses are replacing a house that itself was part of a tract.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

B-Nasty posted:

You want the real deal? You need an oil furnace. They usually come set from the factory at a 70F rise (i.e. 140F air coming out of your vents), and can be fired up to a 100F rise (170F air at your vents) with no trouble.

That was a big selling point for 'little old ladies'. They didn't want to move to natural gas and get a tepid breeze from their furnace vents, they need to feel the heat in their bones.

It's hard to beat an oil furnace/water heater, especially if you live somewhere without gas lines. The heat is fantastic, but again, they don't make them above 80% efficient (they did, but nobody installs them because they're an expensive and a contractor's worst nightmare)

Between cheap natural gas and federal tax incentives, we probably converted 3 oil furnaces to gas for each one we replaced.

e:

re: furnace vs. boiler, hydronic systems are worse for dry air in cold climates because you can't just drop in a humidifier and have it maintain humidity while it heats. On a day when it's 5 deg F outside and bone dry, radiators drop the RH as they heat.

HolHorsejob fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Dec 3, 2021

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

That even happens now on a small scale.

It's common in my city for a big lot to get subdivided after the original house gets demolished and then two identical houses take the spot. I'm sure in more extreme cases the replacement houses are replacing a house that itself was part of a tract.

Oh for sure, and it still happens in the suburbs too. The new-build house my dad bought in 2003ish is in a subdivision with maybe 5 or 6 floorplans, with some minor cosmetic variations on the outside. It has to be a lot cheaper than trying to make everything unique.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

My PI grew up in an eastern bloc subdivision called 'little america', since shortly after the communist revolution the government had purchased american house plans and built an american-style suburb

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Tunicate posted:

My PI grew up in an eastern bloc subdivision called 'little america', since shortly after the communist revolution the government had purchased american house plans and built an american-style suburb

PI… private investigator??

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

B-Nasty posted:

Lol those things need you to dig a gigantic oil tank into your garden somewhere, which will turn the soil around it into toxic waste basically forever. Over here it's illegal to keep the tank in the ground for more than two years after you stop using the oil furnace. At that point you have to hire contractors to come and dig it out and remove all the contaminated soil, then an environmental consultant to prove that the soil is clean.

https://vancouver.ca/home-property-development/underground-storage-tank-removal-and-abandonment-permits.aspx

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Dejan Bimble posted:

PI… private investigator??

Principal investigator

Academia for lab boss

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
I'm going to find out if outdoor furnaces are allowed where I live and do rads. If not, probably propane and rads. Thanks for the input.

If I go the outdoor route I can pipe my garage as well when it's built.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Lol those things need you to dig a gigantic oil tank into your garden somewhere,

Enh? Most people round these parts with oil furnaces just have the tank in the basement or above ground next to their house. Why do you need to bury them?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

StormDrain posted:

A friend of mine lives in an old apartment building in Denver and keeps about half of hers off, since they are so hot. The ones I lived with were very warm and you couldn't hold on to them forever but you could touch them for a bit. Hers are dangerously hot and you can't touch for more than 2-3 seconds. I think they're legit steam. Don't do that.

Sometimes you get some rare places here that have direct remote heating, i.e. the coolant water gets pushed into their systems and isn't just pulled through a heat exchanger to heat the water already in their house.

If that sort of system springs a leak, you've suddenly got pressurized 80+ Celsius water spraying out somewhere, I've heard some horror stories of those things basically steam-boiling an entire house because they spring a leak while no one's home to turn it off and you may as well just toss everything inside.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Phanatic posted:

Enh? Most people round these parts with oil furnaces just have the tank in the basement or above ground next to their house. Why do you need to bury them?

The house I grew up in had the oil tank indoors. In the basement. Who ever designed the house basically made a room for it with concrete walls. It had a connection outside the house and the oil truck would connect and fill it.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Thomamelas posted:

The house I grew up in had the oil tank indoors. In the basement. Who ever designed the house basically made a room for it with concrete walls. It had a connection outside the house and the oil truck would connect and fill it.

My wife’s aunt lives in an old Victorian that got retrofitted with an oil furnace. It just sits on a little slab in the basement, not contained in any way. I’ve often wondered about the wisdom of having it there but I guess it was added in long enough ago that nobody cared? Can’t imagine it’s up to code these days.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Phanatic posted:

Large buildings/apartment complexes would often opt for a 1000-gallon tank underground instead of the 275 gallon on legs that homeowners typically have. They're a terrible idea, imagine having zero visibility into an oil leak until it's too late. The conversations where they came up always involved lots of 3-letter acronyms.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

HolHorsejob posted:

Large buildings/apartment complexes would often opt for a 1000-gallon tank underground instead of the 275 gallon on legs that homeowners typically have. They're a terrible idea, imagine having zero visibility into an oil leak until it's too late. The conversations where they came up always involved lots of 3-letter acronyms.

Also just out of a sheer humanitarian perspective, every time I've been involved in replacing an oil tank, even when it was "just" an above-ground, was a completely miserable experience. Think of your local tradesmen, don't expose them to that.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

PurpleXVI posted:

Also just out of a sheer humanitarian perspective, every time I've been involved in replacing an oil tank, even when it was "just" an above-ground, was a completely miserable experience. Think of your local tradesmen, don't expose them to that.

ugghhh fuuuuuck don't remind me. I spent so many weekends as a kid scooping/shoveling nasty, jet-black loving vaseline and breathing in smoke after sawzalling the tank in half. I hated those jobs but at least they meant one fewer source of service calls where I come back with my hands soaked in oil.

e:

I'm amazed more people don't opt for this. The sludge in the bottom of an oil tank is hard to dispose of. It's super wide, heavy, and cumbersome, so good luck getting it up stairs that were probably built after it was installed. If the contractor opts to break it up, good luck getting the pieces out without getting oily/rusty stains on the inevitable wall-to-wall carpeting.

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

HolHorsejob fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Dec 4, 2021

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

PurpleXVI posted:

In Boston almost every place I rented had switched over to gas or electric, but still had a big oil tank sitting in the basement because it was far easier and cheaper to just plug it and leave it standing there than deal with how to get it out. I assume they're just going to sit there until someone bulldozes those old houses for a full rebuild or the sun finally swallows the planet.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i was in my basement today and realized, after living here for multiple years, that none of the woodwork is finished. three wooden doors, wooden door frames and trim, wooden baseboard all around the whole basement. no stain or paint on any of it. i told my wife and she said "huh... wait... you're right!"

i am pretty sure the immediate PO was not the one who put any of that in. so we have a situation where this house changed hands several times and just... nobody noticed :iiam:

Extant Artiodactyl
Sep 30, 2010

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

The Thrilling Conclusion to The Mystery Switch! I gotta call an electrician

dad notes: Here's the updated schematic. Someone in your thread had the right idea, the porch light is getting it's neutral through the indoor light. Since the porch light is an LED bulb, it doesn't draw much current so it gets enough voltage. With an incandescent bulb, the porch light would get brighter or dimmer depending on the position of the indoor lamp switch.

As it is now, there is no neutral in the box. My guess is that someone wanted the outlet controlled by the switch and it wasn't wired that way originally. I think this was an ugly work around to keep the porch light working. I suspect the neutral wires to the box were repurposed and are no longer neutral. There could have been two weird rewirings of this box in the past. Who knows.

i had a busy holiday week and a busy work week on top of that, glad to see the correct solution is being applied! also patting myself on the back for getting the simulation right

going by the wiring picture and your dad's notes, yeah. that's exactly what happened. in old wiring they would do "switch loops". the device or fixture would get power run to it first and a two-wire cable was sent to the switch box to open and close the hot (or, if they were particular hacks, the neutral!). unless you ran a three-wire, there's no neutral involved. they didn't consider that one day the switches themselves would want a neutral to consume their own power to go on the internet nor that this kind of wiring is generally a huge pain in the rear end if literally anything about the circuit has to change.

as far as fixing this goes...uhhhh...it depends on what's in that receptacle's box. if the diagram is saying the "always hot" is coming from there to feed the switch box, then you either have to lose the switched outlet or have a new wire run up to this box from somewhere. don't envy whoever has to do that, given the age of things here. if the switch box is getting its hot from somewhere else, the white wire from the outlet can be put on neutral and connected correctly to the porch light neutral. then the black wire can be used to switch the outlet. i keep saying 'black' and 'white' but it's more like 'tan' and 'slightly more faded tan', good ol' cloth wire!

good luck to all involved!

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Phanatic posted:

In our area it was common to bury your oil tank between the 1930s and 1950s, then bury them half full and pretend they never existed once the city finally laid natural gas lines in the neighborhood. The tanks would eventually rust and leak.

About 10 years ago one lady had a full tank on her property leak and she didn't know about it, having been the third or fourth owner of the house since it was built and rmthe tank had been long forgotten to the ages. She ended up with a 2 million dollar remediation bill because the oil had leaked under two of the neighboring properties and insurance would not cover it.

We moved into a '58 rancher last year and even though we found city records that there were gas lines installed the year it was built we still paid for a tank scan before we put in an offer.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“Finally found the short that was energizing some aluminum trim on the outside of the house and the back door.”

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Blistex posted:

I'm going to find out if outdoor furnaces are allowed where I live and do rads. If not, probably propane and rads. Thanks for the input.

If I go the outdoor route I can pipe my garage as well when it's built.

By outdoors do you mean literally outdoors or in a freestanding boiler room building?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

When I lived in Massachusetts, a story made the newspapers. A fuel oil truck got the address wrong and filled up the oil tank in the wrong house. Unfortunately, the wrong house had had the oil tank removed years ago and hadn't bothered to remove the fill opening. Owners wound up with a basement full of heating oil.

Meanwhile, I had electricians here and asked them to look at the doorbell transformer and see if the wiring still worked. There were visible cut wires where the doorbell used to be, and I was hoping to connect a new doorbell and a new chime and go on my happy way.

Somebody somewhere before me had not only cut off the doorbell wires at the doorbell itself, but also at the level of the porch. Which means that the entire line would have to be re-fished in a 1930s house that's solid board and asbestos shingles, and the electrician's guessing it's a half-day job with two electricians. SIGH. Now I'm trying to figure out if you can get door chime transformers that pair up with wireless buttons, because I really truly would like a real doorbell chime.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Now I'm trying to figure out if you can get door chime transformers that pair up with wireless buttons, because I really truly would like a real doorbell chime.

This is certainly possible. If an off the shelf solution doesn't exist, a DIY one definitely does.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

When I lived in Massachusetts, a story made the newspapers. A fuel oil truck got the address wrong and filled up the oil tank in the wrong house. Unfortunately, the wrong house had had the oil tank removed years ago and hadn't bothered to remove the fill opening. Owners wound up with a basement full of heating oil.

It's funny, because oil tanks have an ingenious solution that is supposed to prevent this: there are 2 pipes, vent and fill, and on the vent pipe there is a whistle. As the tank is filling, displaced air comes out the vent through the whistle. An oil delivery guy is supposed to listen for that whistle, and stop immediately if not heard. The whistle also prevents overfilling, because when oil reaches its level, there is no more air to displace.

Of course, if the oil man is running late for his next fill and has his earbuds in, tough luck.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

This is certainly possible. If an off the shelf solution doesn't exist, a DIY one definitely does.

Hmm. I might, come new year, hire a goon to see if they can set up and ship a chime transformer with a Raspberry Pi that connects to a wireless doorbell. Unless there's a simpler solution? I certainly haven't been able to find anything on doorbell sites because it's such a niche want.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Something like this might work

https://www.amazon.com/GE-Wireless-Doorbell-Battery-Operated-30393/dp/B00X6BC7OW

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Arsenic Lupin posted:

in our town, there was a homeowner that didn't like the smell of the oil tank and plugged the vent pipe. The delivery guy shows up, starts filling, and notices it's taking longer than usual to fill...

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Yeah we got the second cheapest wireless doorbell setup from Home Depot and it’s totally fine. Super loud inside, battery lasts couple of years, you can configure multiple buttons to the same base station with different chimes. For $20 it’s fantastic.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

No, that's exactly what I don't want. I don't want a programmable electronic-voiced chime. I have a solid old-fashioned hammers-hit-the-bell chime, and I want to install that. It requires a transformer (in place) and a wired pushbutton (expensive to install). I want (if possible, and it may not be) to jerry-rig a wireless pushbutton to work with the transformer.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Arsenic Lupin posted:

No, that's exactly what I don't want. I don't want a programmable electronic-voiced chime. I have a solid old-fashioned hammers-hit-the-bell chime, and I want to install that. It requires a transformer (in place) and a wired pushbutton (expensive to install). I want (if possible, and it may not be) to jerry-rig a wireless pushbutton to work with the transformer.

Ah, got it. Yeah, a receiver tripping a solenoid would probably do the trick.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

B-Nasty posted:

It's funny, because oil tanks have an ingenious solution that is supposed to prevent this: there are 2 pipes, vent and fill, and on the vent pipe there is a whistle. As the tank is filling, displaced air comes out the vent through the whistle. An oil delivery guy is supposed to listen for that whistle, and stop immediately if not heard. The whistle also prevents overfilling, because when oil reaches its level, there is no more air to displace.

Of course, if the oil man is running late for his next fill and has his earbuds in, tough luck.
No poo poo eh? I had no idea that was a thing. I do environmental drilling and going to houses and businesses etc that used to have above ground and under ground tanks and soil sampling is common for me.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Hmm. I might, come new year, hire a goon to see if they can set up and ship a chime transformer with a Raspberry Pi that connects to a wireless doorbell. Unless there's a simpler solution? I certainly haven't been able to find anything on doorbell sites because it's such a niche want.

you definitely could use a raspberry pi for something like this, but that might be way overkill. i am not an expert in home automation, but i am sure there are several ways to do your exact use case of "convert a simple pushbutton switch from wired to wireless". there are several threads on the forums where people talk about projects like this, one being the idiot spare time projects thread in yospos

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Dec 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Lol drat I haven't seen a two post rack like that in over ten years.