Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

bird with big dick posted:

Got to the point of the assembly where I'm inserting the devil's peg

:ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I'm going to have nightmares about that now

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Hobbies, Crafts, & Houses > LEGO: Got to the point of the assembly where I'm inserting the devil's peg

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Inserting The Devil's Peg is an excellent metal album name.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

bird with big dick posted:

Got to the point of the assembly where I'm inserting the devil's peg
i'm probably being too naive but is there any way to pull it back out the way it came in? Like some kind of tiny suction cup or temporary adhesive?

I guess there's probably a ton of friction on that peg which is why everyone suggests scraping it back out through the green piece, but I wonder if there's any more sophisticated tooling that could do it without damage.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It might be possible with some sort of tacky adhesive that could be removed with some sort of solvent. You just have to make sure whatever it is doesn't melt ABS plastic.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I would leave out the green bushing. Maybe replace it with a normal bushing, would secure things but leave enough room to disassemble.

If the build has space for it one of those thin bushings at the end of the grey axle so it can't insert all the way would work too.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Feenix posted:

Seattle USA

Dang, there's too much water between us to make it in time :/

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
That's removable. Just not easy.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Meaty Ore posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Hobbies, Crafts, & Houses > LEGO: Got to the point of the assembly where I'm inserting the devil's peg

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

tuo posted:

Dang, there's too much water between us to make it in time :/

It makes me happy that you even considered it. Happy holidays.:)

Anyway this is what I have so far in my window …

https://youtu.be/qRHgJWJWy48

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That square technic part is consistently a nightmare for disassembly but I feel like 5 seconds with an xacto blade could deal with the at-at issue.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I‘m so glad I didn‘t buy the set I loudly proclaimed itt I wouldn‘t buy, especially not buying it twice because stupid Lego shop, and then not beeing able to take it apart again. God is in his heaven, all is right with the world.

guess I‘ll start mine today

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If you actually bought an AT-AT you don't want hmu I will make it worth your while for real. Although I think you are EU so I dunno if it would be worth the shipping hassle but I have some friggin Legos over her.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You could try building it without that green tube. Then the axle would be removable.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

veni veni veni posted:

If you actually bought an AT-AT you don't want hmu I will make it worth your while for real. Although I think you are EU so I dunno if it would be worth the shipping hassle but I have some friggin Legos over her.

Yeah, I‘m EU, so I assume that won‘t work. But isn‘t it available still? At least here, it’s available (without that one GWP of course). I guess I‘ll return the second one (including the GWP, whatever happens to it) to Lego, because it seems they overstocked. The scalpers seem to be sitting in their stuff.

If you are interested in the GWP, I can ask around if anyone wants the AT-AT (though I fear that won’t work as….it‘s still available) before I return it.

Luchacabra
Jun 12, 2015

Feenix posted:

Are you ducking kidding me I called alderwood like 2 days ago aggghh

I called. The guy was like no that’s gone but we had one return. So that was it.

Aw, man... sorry to get your hopes up. Like I said, the whole interaction felt like I was getting the hook up.
I'll probably be back that way in a few days. I'll try my luck again if there's a different employee working.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
So with two new large mechs announced, along with a handful of small ones, I realised that I needed a bigger mech shelf. I had an 80cm by 30cm shelf that everything was crammed onto. The main problem was that I have the Ninjago City Gardens a two shelves down from that. I finally ended up solving the problem by getting a 120cm shelf and just punching a hole for the tower to stick through.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
https://bricks.stackexchange.com/questions/7899/how-to-disassemble-this-small-technic-turntable-combination-of-parts-99009-and

I mentioned these pieces from the carousel. They really do not come apart. But yeah, the design decision on the AT-AT seems like something that they should have consulted the Technic people about.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

But that looks designed to not come apart. They just couldn't get a mold to make that as a single piece so they were forced to use two molds.

I guess it would be better if they came from the factory in one piece but maybe they don't have the equipment to do that.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Just finished up the Mould King Holiday House and ready to start another set!

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

OSU_Matthew posted:

Just finished up the Mould King Holiday House and ready to start another set!

Can you make a lamp out of a single minifig leg?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Nth Doctor posted:

Oh poo poo, that is an inspired idea! Time to hunt down a fine point sharpie and practice drawing fishnet stockings

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Rocky Horror IDEAS set when?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

no kidding, I need the meatloaf torso for a project

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Nth Doctor posted:

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Built the Home Alone set, love it. I'm kinda curious about getting a lighting kit for it... does anyone have experiences with lighting kits in general? Any particular sites I should look into?

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
My wife saw an ad for one for that set and bought it - it’s the first time I’ve done a light kit. It’s from some outfit called Game of Bricks, and have no idea how good or bad they are in comparison to anything else or if they are involved in any Patented Lego Light Kit Drama.

I will say that I’m spoiled by Lego instructions - what they have on the site is a little clunky to get through, and I would have preferred a “add as you go” approach instead of a “retrofit when you’re done” approach.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

If anyone has the City Advent Calendar this year, what is your take on the 'cast' element on the back of the ambulance? Is it supposed to be smoke/steam coming from the vehicle or is it just a weird way to put a usable minifig cast on the outside of it?

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
Anyone have a good strategy for Lego clean-up? My 4y/o has a lot of fun playing with legos, but the mess is something that needs addressing. I remember Lego used to have a Lego Vacuum or whatever they called it, but it looks like they haven't made them since the 90s and I don't want to drop $100 on one.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Lay out a bedsheet on the floor before the lego comes out.

They make cinch bags that do that too.. as long as the bricks stay on the mat you pull the cord to ball it up and everything is put away.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Built the Home Alone set, love it. I'm kinda curious about getting a lighting kit for it... does anyone have experiences with lighting kits in general? Any particular sites I should look into?

I have Light My Brick sets for a handful of my UCS space ships. They're really cool, and look great, but they're super expensive for what they are. If I hadn't received them as a gift I'm not sure how apt I'd be to spend a ton of them.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
There are much cheaper light kits that use the same components and rip off LMB kit design basically (which, they ripped off their components from another company anyway)

I like the “official” LMB R2D2 one and the infinity gauntlet one that I have but I started installing a knockoff kit on the Ghostbusters firehouse and I just couldn’t deal with the wires running everywhere (which is just a personal preference issue I think).

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

is there a united states located source for good quality compatible parts?

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
The new Dune movie owns. I made a Muad'Dib Brickhead.

The hardest part was doing justice to Chalamet's magnificent locks.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

deoju posted:

:3:

Speaking of things that are :3: - I took a closer look at some of my planned purchases for the next few months, and the Ninja Ultra Combo Mech is a full-blown Voltron assembled out of separate vehicles.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Is your shelving modular or able to adjust each individual shelf up and down independently?

I'm moving and have an entire room to deck out for my displays and board game set up and I have an entire wall I want to put shelving on and the thought of adjustable shelving seems like I would get more customization and spacing over time versus fixed shelving.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

deoju posted:

If you block without rhythm, you won’t attract the worm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Halfway through. Feet were a bit of a slog with some small sub assemblies having to be made 16 times, but not too bad.