Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Most people find the next three books move at a slower pace, then things pick up again from 11 to the end.

Plus at the rate Hollismason is moving it'll be a speedbump instead of climbing a mountain, and then you'll be into the final few books where poo poo starts to pop off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

Overall it was really good a little light on the action but it still had a pretty engrossing story. I probably liked it a little less than the last one but the Ashaman just devastating a army was such a bad rear end moment it was worth it.

Only 8 more books to go! I should at this pace be finished in 2 months ? I dunno this has all be very relaxing and really great for me personally to find something that I'm enjoying so much.
This is great, looking forward to hearing how you find the next few. Keep going!

Hollismason posted:

Yeah that was definitely a bad rear end moment. To bad we didn't see the scene where Rand went berserk at finding Min was in the camp then killed a warder with his bare hands.
drat, when did that happen??

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Johnny Joestar posted:

genuinely incredibly excited to see what insane poo poo rand has to put up with in later seasons compared to what they had going on with logain, because lews therin is way more loving manic at times and rand is constantly like one step away from just making someone's skull explode like an overripe melon

Which precedes one of the best lines from Bashere. "I don't know what that is, but I think maybe you should wait before deciding to break. Eh?"

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

El Grillo posted:

This is great, looking forward to hearing how you find the next few. Keep going!

Whens hes taken just before dumais wells, Delina thinks about how noone expected him to kill one warder, take that warders sword then kill a second in the time it takes for the aes sadai to weave him up

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

Whens hes taken just before dumais wells, Delina thinks about how noone expected him to kill one warder, take that warders sword then kill a second in the time it takes for the aes sadai to weave him up

Shh, it didn't actually happen because it never happened "on screen" that's the joke.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

El Grillo posted:

It happens when Rand is captured by the Aes Sedai , they make a passing comment that he went totally loving berserk when he found out Min was in the camp with them attacking a warder and killing him.

quote:

"...Not just trying to break through the shield, but killing a Warder with his bare hands and severly wounding another with the dead man's sword, to such an extent that the second died in the Healing. All that in the moments required for the sisters to overcome their shock and bind him with the Power.

He does it so fast that they don't even have time to hold him with the power.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

rafe personally pointed out dumai's wells as a favorite of his so i'm hype to see that get put forward in the show

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah I mean I wonder if they can do Dumais Wells justice because its the first time we see the Ashaman absolutely loving wreck a normal group of people in the books.

I've moved on to Crown of Swords.

Really hate Elaida , can't wait for her comeuppance. Not sure when that'll happen but hopefully in the next few books.

Morgase is now in some super deep poo poo.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

dumai's wells is the kind of thing a producer personally saves up budget for

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

El Grillo posted:

LOC Chapter 53. Galina Casban thinks about how Rand managed to break loose and kill two of Erian Boroleos's warders when he saw that Min had been captured as well.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Johnny Joestar posted:

dumai's wells is the kind of thing a producer personally saves up budget for

i would pitch on a gofundme if it came to that

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Jedit posted:

LOC Chapter 53. Galina Casban thinks about how Rand managed to break loose and kill two of Erian Boroleos's warders when he saw that Min had been captured as well.

Its one of those after thought bad rear end moments that Jordan likes to write , like just casually mentioning crazy poo poo that happens then they just keep moving forward.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Johnny Joestar posted:

rafe personally pointed out dumai's wells as a favorite of his so i'm hype to see that get put forward in the show

Its funny because Dumai's Wells was the first thing I thought about in Episode 4 during the big fight against Logain's forces, and I have to admit a part of me felt like this scene, as great as it is, was letting that cat out of the bag way too early and it was going to dampen the meaning of that moment when it happens.

But maybe I'm wrong and they'll find a way.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
There's a lot of big battles in the books I'm eager to see what they come up with in the show to depict thousands of people fighting. I mean I don't think they have the budget to do some of the stuff , but that is just my opinion. Maybe they do have the budget to depict thousands of people fighting.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Hollismason posted:

There's a lot of big battles in the books I'm eager to see what they come up with in the show to depict thousands of people fighting. I mean I don't think they have the budget to do some of the stuff , but that is just my opinion. Maybe they do have the budget to depict thousands of people fighting.

They may get an increased budget after a successful first and second season.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Before Dumai's Wells we've got in theory Tarwin's Gap, the Battle of Falme, the taking of the Stone, the Battle of Emond's Field, Nynaeve and Moggy 1v1, Rand and Asmo 1v1, the Battle of Cairhien, the docks and the retaking of Caemlyn. Even assuming some of those get combined or diluted it's still a safe bet that episode 4 will be minor compared to any of them and that's all before we get to Dumai's Wells.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah, maybe i'm being optimistic here but they're also probably putting a lot of budget into the poo poo that's going to go down in episodes 7+8 which are, ultimately, more essential than the literally ragtag group of disheveled leftovers that came bumrushing to save logain in episode 4

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

It happens when Rand is captured by the Aes Sedai , they make a passing comment that he went totally loving berserk when he found out Min was in the camp with them attacking a warder and killing him.

He does it so fast that they don't even have time to hold him with the power.
Ah nice yeah I remember now.

Sanguinia posted:

Its funny because Dumai's Wells was the first thing I thought about in Episode 4 during the big fight against Logain's forces, and I have to admit a part of me felt like this scene, as great as it is, was letting that cat out of the bag way too early and it was going to dampen the meaning of that moment when it happens.

But maybe I'm wrong and they'll find a way.
I'd agree. It also may have added some confusion about the Three Oaths.
Then again, to be honest I don't really get why they added this whole plot arc of Lan/Moiraine/Nynaeve joining up with the AS who captured logaine, plus the battle, and then plus the whole warder loss plotline that dominated the most recent episode too. But it might be something that becomes clear in the last few episodes of the season.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Nynaeve, Moiraine and Lan to the precise total of gently caress all between Shadar Logoth and rescuing Perrin and Egwene. Running with the changed storyline allowed them to introduce the Aes Sedai as an entity sooner, flesh out Logain earlier while setting up the dangerous nature of men who can channel, include a fun action sequence and also gave Nynaeve a hella awesome moment. Would you rather Rosamund Pike just sat on a horse for two episodes like she does in the book?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Rarity posted:

Nynaeve, Moiraine and Lan to the precise total of gently caress all between Shadar Logoth and rescuing Perrin and Egwene. Running with the changed storyline allowed them to introduce the Aes Sedai as an entity sooner, flesh out Logain earlier while setting up the dangerous nature of men who can channel, include a fun action sequence and also gave Nynaeve a hella awesome moment. Would you rather Rosamund Pike just sat on a horse for two episodes like she does in the book?

yeah lol these kinds of posts absolutely mystify me. Why did Nynaeve, lan, and Moiraine meet up with the Aes Sedai hunting logain?? Because it let them show a shitload of characterization and backstory that wasn't in the book at all, and vastly improved the story via it's presence. Also, it was just cool as hell.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

if they adapted eye of the world 1:1 for the show it would be insanely boring and the show would tank

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

If I wanted a 1:1 adaptation of eotw I would listen to it yet again

Which I will probably do, after I buy the Pike version.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I just watched this week's episode, and it felt like a huge waste of time to spend so much of it on that warder when there are only eight episodes in the whole season. It's just weird to invent made up drama like Perrin's fridged wife and this when there's already so much material to work with. I get that some of it's an effort to make the show more of a true ensemble than the Rand al'Thor show, but even just seeing more than three Aes Sedai in the whole White Tower would have been better. I hope the early reviews pointing to episode six being killer are right, because that was my least favorite episode of the show so far.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Sinteres posted:

I just watched this week's episode, and it felt like a huge waste of time to spend so much of it on that warder when there are only eight episodes in the whole season. It's just weird to invent made up drama like Perrin's fridged wife and this when there's already so much material to work with. I get that some of it's an effort to make the show more of a true ensemble than the Rand al'Thor show, but even just seeing more than three Aes Sedai in the whole White Tower would have been better. I hope the early reviews pointing to episode six being killer are right, because that was my least favorite episode of the show so far.

Focusing an episode on Lan and his relationships both current and future is good and not a waste of time imo

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

silvergoose posted:

If I wanted a 1:1 adaptation of eotw I would listen to it yet again

Which I will probably do, after I buy the Pike version.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Sinteres posted:

See I get that to a degree, and of course you're free to like or dislike what you want.

But it feels to me that all the people complaining about Stepin's story aren't fully comprehending what that story is establishing. Rather than telling us "it's devastating for a Warder to outlive his Aes Sedai" they're showing us what happens. First, you go into a berserker rage and try to avenge her. Then, if you survive that, you grow increasingly despondent with only the final duty of returning her ring to the Tower giving you purpose. (Which is a clever show addition to the lore, since it gives the Aes Sedai a chance to try and salvage the Warder once he returns to the Tower.) And finally, the Warder decides if he wants to carry on without her...or not.

It establishes stakes for Lan and Moiriane. The audience now knows that if Moiraine dies there's a good chance Lan dies with her. Perhaps more importantly, Lan and Moiraine know it too. You can see how Stepin's plight affects Lan in the scene where he wordlessly kneels and holds Moiraine's hand. You can see it in Moiraine when she talks to Alanna about possibly releasing Lan from the bond, because she fears her death will mean his. You can especially see it when the two of them lock eyes over Stepin's body in the final scene.

Yes, the scenes feature Stepin. But they're about Lan and Moiraine, and what the Warder Bond really means.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Also it adds that bit with the molten gold. Someone asked that consultant lady on twitter if they reuse that gold to make new rings. She said "That's the idea!"

So if that's the case, that's a nice set up too, with the whole wheel and rebirth themes.

Even if the rings are god awful.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It also makes Rand being bonded a big loving deal when it happens later because now they've established early on the Warder/ Aes Sedai bond and how strong it is. Also Morgaine passing her bond to another Aes Sedai for Lan.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

jng2058 posted:

See I get that to a degree, and of course you're free to like or dislike what you want.

But it feels to me that all the people complaining about Stepin's story aren't fully comprehending what that story is establishing. Rather than telling us "it's devastating for a Warder to outlive his Aes Sedai" they're showing us what happens. First, you go into a berserker rage and try to avenge her. Then, if you survive that, you grow increasingly despondent with only the final duty of returning her ring to the Tower giving you purpose. (Which is a clever show addition to the lore, since it gives the Aes Sedai a chance to try and salvage the Warder once he returns to the Tower.) And finally, the Warder decides if he wants to carry on without her...or not.

It establishes stakes for Lan and Moiriane. The audience now knows that if Moiraine dies there's a good chance Lan dies with her. Perhaps more importantly, Lan and Moiraine know it too. You can see how Stepin's plight affects Lan in the scene where he wordlessly kneels and holds Moiraine's hand. You can see it in Moiraine when she talks to Alanna about possibly releasing Lan from the bond, because she fears her death will mean his. You can especially see it when the two of them lock eyes over Stepin's body in the final scene.

Yes, the scenes feature Stepin. But they're about Lan and Moiraine, and what the Warder Bond really means.

Yeah it's absolutely screaming "moiraine is about to die and lan might not survive it" to the point Jon book readers are picking up on it. So moiraine getting Finn-doored is not only going to Gandalf her, but in a way that says "yeah you don't see a body but her warder definitely felt her die" - which then sets up the conflict between Nynaeve, Alanna, and Lan, which ultimately pays off when Nynaeve grants Lan's death wish by dropping him at the rear end-end of the Borderlands

This season is rushed but it's putting up loads of dominoes and it is going to be fantastic when they all start falling.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lol if one of Amazon’s notes was “hey can we put in a thing about a gold ring getting melted”

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Data Graham posted:

Lol if one of Amazon’s notes was “hey can we put in a thing about a gold ring getting melted”

LOTR is just a story of a warder returning a ring Purple-Monkey-Dishwashered through time

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Brolander posted:

LOTR is just a story of a warder returning a ring Purple-Monkey-Dishwashered through time

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Out of interest, does anyone know when the first time is in the books that we see or hear what happens to a warder if their AS dies?

jng2058 posted:

DarkHorse posted:

Yeah it's absolutely screaming "moiraine is about to die and lan might not survive it" to the point Jon book readers are picking up on it. So moiraine getting Finn-doored is not only going to Gandalf her, but in a way that says "yeah you don't see a body but her warder definitely felt her die" - which then sets up the conflict between Nynaeve, Alanna, and Lan, which ultimately pays off when Nynaeve grants Lan's death wish by dropping him at the rear end-end of the Borderlands

This season is rushed but it's putting up loads of dominoes and it is going to be fantastic when they all start falling.
Yeah I reckon people get the idea but it feels quite random that it's being done now.
Moiraine presumably isn't going anywhere until... what, season 3?

edit:

Johnny Joestar posted:

if they adapted eye of the world 1:1 for the show it would be insanely boring and the show would tank
Yeah no-one with a brain would suggest adapting a book like this 1:1 into a visual medium (or any book that I can think of, for that matter)

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Dec 6, 2021

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

El Grillo posted:

Yeah I reckon people get the idea but it feels quite random that it's being done now.

I'm binging reaction videos to these shows, and so far 2 of the 3 I follow easily caught the whole, "this is about Lan and Moiraine's fears of the future" and the 3rd one just felt a lot for Stepin and was shook by his story as it was.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

El Grillo posted:

Yeah that's part of what's weird about it to me. Foreshadowing is fine and all, but with an eight episode season is that really the most important part of the setting to be repeatedly hammering home right now? Also I know Lan's going to have to emote more than he did in the books, and I generally like the change, but having him break down at the end was the first time where it felt a bit too far to me. We're still establishing his baseline for the show at this point, so even as a 'he's not usually like this' moment, it just feels too soon.

Since I've just talked about what I didn't like so far, I liked Loial a lot, and will be happy to spend more time with him.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Dec 6, 2021

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

El Grillo posted:

Out of interest, does anyone know when the first time is in the books that we see or hear what happens to a warder if their AS dies?

Definitely by The Shadow Rising, when Morraine tells Lan she made arrangements to transfer his bond, which itself is a setup for what will happen to Suian later. It may have come up in The Great Hunt, when Morraine is chilling with Vandene and Adelas.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

With any faithful adaptation of Robert Jordan, folks are gonna have to learn to understand how episodes that aren't about the main characters are still actually about the main characters.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

CainFortea posted:

I'm binging reaction videos to these shows, and so far 2 of the 3 I follow easily caught the whole, "this is about Lan and Moiraine's fears of the future" and the 3rd one just felt a lot for Stepin and was shook by his story as it was.

the whole little storyline definitely, absolutely brings out emotions in most people, it feels like. also the occasional person who says it's lame and doesn't seem to get that lan is the designated mourner and intentionally going wild with it along with being like the guy's closest pal who's a warder.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I think the scene also gives a lot of nuance to Lan as a character because he's potrayed in the books as totally stoic and unflinching, but in this we actually see some emotion from him. It makes him better as a character imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Hollismason posted:

I think the scene also gives a lot of nuance to Lan as a character because he's potrayed in the books as totally stoic and unflinching, but in this we actually see some emotion from him. It makes him better as a character imo.

I mean, the version of Lan from the book is a hot mess emotionally. It isn't normal for people to go around seeking death and then talking in 9th grade emo poetry as an adult.

But also watch both funerals next to each other. In the first one, he's not supposed to be all emotional so he isn't. In the 2nd one, he's the designated mourner so he does it right.