Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
THEY'RE MINERALS

but yes, rocks are cool, they just aren't always, like, faces or pyramids or canals or whatever. they CAN be those things, too, but in this context they usually kinda aren't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Has this been yassified yet?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

fosborb posted:

I will say if the first shot didnt make my kids anti covid vax, the second ones absolutely did. full out noncompliance in the Walgreens. first shot was totally fine until the sore arms the next day

this time, the older one discovered if he vibrated hard enough the nurse couldn't jab him. the 5 year old I can still just outright hold her at an angle that allows best, quick access for the nurse, despite the screams

Woof. We had that for the flu shot. Screaming from the corner of Target. The woman working the counter was clearly new and not ready for my son, and he bent the needle in his arm. Maybe got half the shot in him.

That said, an experienced nurse at the clinic has managed to get two covid doses in him since and he's losing his fear of it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Here's a local news report about how the Australian island state of Tasmania is prepping their hospital system to deal with an expected rush of covid patients after they re-open their borders 10 days from now. They've had pretty much zero community spread since May 2020 but they're expecting 52,000 positive cases in the first 200 days, with a predicted peak in mid April where they're projecting up to 242 non-ICU hospitalized plus 68 ICU patients, out of a total state population of slightly over half a million people

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJ4rTF2D7R8

They'll be at 90% vaxxed (ages 16+) when they open the border so that'll be an interesting social experiment

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I would simply not open my borders to the worst pandemic in living memory.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I bought another 15 kilos of rice this morning because I was feeling antsy.

I still haven't decided on whether to get another respirator (the Honeywell 7700, to partner with my 3M). I probably don't need it but my lizard brain is struggling to do something that makes me feel like there's something I can control.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
this week is going to be loving wild. we're going to see the UK pop off and get confirmation from moderna/pfizer how badly the vaccines work against omicron (whether we publicly hear it this week... i doubt it). IMHO all of this is going to send the last people that actually care at the CDC into complete terror. it will dawn on them how hosed the US is and I honestly have no idea what they will do. maybe lock down... maybe some kind of nationwide mask mandate... maybe just ignore the deaths... i honestly think anything is possible. but this week it gets real when we see how quickly it grows in a population like the UK--they will be the bellwether

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
actually nothing is going to happen and no one will care

cmerepaul
Nov 28, 2005
That's not chapstick!
I talked to my dad back in Rust Belt Land over the weekend, he said covid cases last week in my hometown were higher than they were at any point in the pandemic. Amazing.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I was starting to get really worried about covid but luckily we still have adults around who were able to step in and stick their fingers in their ears while yelling LA-LA-LA-LA I CAN"T HEAR YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Okay now Moon Cube I can get into

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

can i literally get in to moon cube

that sounds pretty safe

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
i wonder what they're waiting on exactly before they declare a variant of high consequence

on the face of it, it almost seems like there's enough evidence to call omicron a VOHC based on what already looks likely around immune escape.

but i guess the CDC wants to be 100% sure before they push that button, because it would trigger actual federal-level measures. ah who am i kidding, the CDC is too politicized to break the VOHC glass

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I need to get ahold of two rapid tests some time before xmas. How would I go about that, just hit up pharmacies and see if they have them in stock?

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

u have 30 minutes to move ur cube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P--a8jEMmUA

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
walmart has them in stock: https://www.walmart.com/ip/BinaxNOW-COVID-19-Antigen-Self-Test-2-Count/142089281 the stock comes and goes apparently so if it's out maybe check back later. each pack has two tests but IIRC you're supposed to use both tests on one person to help reduce the error

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Mola Yam posted:

i wonder what they're waiting on exactly before they declare a variant of high consequence

on the face of it, it almost seems like there's enough evidence to call omicron a VOHC based on what already looks likely around immune escape.

but i guess the CDC wants to be 100% sure before they push that button, because it would trigger actual federal-level measures. ah who am i kidding, the CDC is too politicized to break the VOHC glass

Last one alive gets to call it.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
they'll do something like "well yeah it meets the criteria for variant of high consequence, BUT we have these amazing vaccines and therefore we think it won't be a problem with them--no change"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mola Yam posted:

The fact that the WHO declared it a VOC just two days after it was first reported to them is pretty insane by itself, it took them months and months to decide that delta was a VOC.

E: that was the exact moment I went "Ohhhhh we might be real hosed with this one", the CDC is a huge organisation with a whole ton of levels of checks & balances and they've been super cagey about not jumping the gun right from the start of the pandemic but they cut through all that institutional inertia and pulled the VOC alarm pretty much immediately on this one

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Dec 6, 2021

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

mod sassinator posted:

walmart has them in stock: https://www.walmart.com/ip/BinaxNOW-COVID-19-Antigen-Self-Test-2-Count/142089281 the stock comes and goes apparently so if it's out maybe check back later. each pack has two tests but IIRC you're supposed to use both tests on one person to help reduce the error

Got the two kits I needed, thanks much.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Volcott posted:

I need to get ahold of two rapid tests some time before xmas. How would I go about that, just hit up pharmacies and see if they have them in stock?

I've bought BinaxNOW tests from Amazon and just today ordered 2 test kits direct from Lucira (which are more expensive but supposedly better). I'm hopeful that'll be enough for my needs before whatever reimbursement kicks in for 2022. Got a PCR test lined up tomorrow for the little one as someone else at daycare popped positive (no symptoms for my kid at this point and tomorrow will be 3 days since last contact).

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

can I get a combo binbax covid/std test thanks

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

fosborb posted:

I will say if the first shot didnt make my kids anti covid vax, the second ones absolutely did. full out noncompliance in the Walgreens. first shot was totally fine until the sore arms the next day

this time, the older one discovered if he vibrated hard enough the nurse couldn't jab him. the 5 year old I can still just outright hold her at an angle that allows best, quick access for the nurse, despite the screams

i remember hating shots so much as a kid that i once asked the doctor for local anesthesia when i was 12 or so

interestingly enough my parents got me every single vaccination i was supposed to have, it's only this most recent one they have some difficulty accepting the necessity of :thunk:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

oh hell yeah dankmus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm0HaOU69Qc

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Elea posted:

Huge if true.

Obviously he means that we're due to get even milder mutations in the future. Good news all around, really.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Philippines update:

COVID continues to be extremely over!!!

Context:

- as of Oct 25, there were 47.7k tests conducted, with a 9.0% positivity rate

- as of Oct 26, there were 35.2k tests conducted, with an 8.5% positivity rate

- as of Oct 30, there were 50.7k tests conducted, with a 7.8% positivity rate

- as of Nov 2, there were 29.6k tests conducted, with a 6.8% positivity rate

- as of Nov 7, there were 48.4k tests conducted, with a 5.2% positivity rate

- as of Nov 14, there were 40.9k tests conducted, with a 3.9% positivity rate

- as of Nov 21, there were 39.8k tests conducted, with a 2.8% positivity rate

- as of Nov 28, there were 34.2k tests conducted, with a 2.4% positivity rate

As of Dec 6:

the seven-day average for new cases is 397 cases/day; this is the lowest it has been since about May 29, 2020

there are currently 13,548 recorded active COVID cases; this is the lowest it has been since about Jun 1, 2020

there were 32.6k tests conducted, with a 1.7% positivity rate

_

I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop, but it hasn't yet.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The fact that the WHO declared it a VOC just two days after it was first reported to them is pretty insane by itself, it took them months and months to decide that delta was a VOC.

E: that was the exact moment I went "Ohhhhh we might be real hosed with this one", the CDC is a huge organisation with a whole ton of levels of checks & balances and they've been super cagey about not jumping the gun right from the start of the pandemic but they cut through all that institutional inertia and pulled the VOC alarm pretty much immediately on this one

Recall also that WHO designated Delta as a variant of concern on May eleventh. Two days later, CDC issues their catastrophic “mask off” message.

CDC admitted that Delta was a variant of concern over a month later, on June sixteenth.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/f_bartoloni/status/1467553500963950593

Why publish something that has “ZOMG fifteen thousand percent the official numbers!” but also “we can’t rule out the possibility that the pandemic may have raised people from the dead in China”?

It’s just embarrassing.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Platystemon posted:

It’s just embarrassing.

quote:

The Economist has built a machine-learning model, which estimates excess deaths for every country on every day since the pandemic began.

aka "source: trust me bro"

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Palladium posted:

Do they read excess deaths of neighboring countries? Because I would do that out of laziness.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Palladium posted:

The machine learning algorithm learned that the Economist publishes a bunch of bullshit and followed suit

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Scandinavian airline SAS is now requiring masks on flights again, untold thousands of cases into the ongoing Delta wave. I'm amazed I can still be surprised at this poo poo, I'd assumed they'd been mandatory all this time.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Platystemon posted:

https://twitter.com/f_bartoloni/status/1467553500963950593

Why publish something that has “ZOMG fifteen thousand percent the official numbers!” but also “we can’t rule out the possibility that the pandemic may have raised people from the dead in China”?

It’s just embarrassing.

lol even with their insane unfounded overestimate, China has by far the lowest deaths per capita

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Morbus posted:

The machine learning algorithm learned that the Economist publishes a bunch of bullshit and followed suit

you see China testing entire cities in 3 days is indisputable evidence of oriental lies unlike spotless white Florida

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

SplitSoul posted:

Scandinavian airline SAS is now requiring masks on flights again, untold thousands of cases into the ongoing Delta wave. I'm amazed I can still be surprised at this poo poo, I'd assumed they'd been mandatory all this time.

I'm sure you still get to take off the mask at snack and booze time :cheerdoge:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

SplitSoul posted:

Nobody expects the S.A.S.!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Steve Yun posted:

Nobody expects the S.A.S.!

Neck gaiter, bad filtration, 2/10

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

gradenko_2000 posted:

Neck gaiter, bad filtration, 2/10

lmao

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

mod sassinator posted:

this week is going to be loving wild. we're going to see the UK pop off and get confirmation from moderna/pfizer how badly the vaccines work against omicron (whether we publicly hear it this week... i doubt it). IMHO all of this is going to send the last people that actually care at the CDC into complete terror. it will dawn on them how hosed the US is and I honestly have no idea what they will do. maybe lock down... maybe some kind of nationwide mask mandate... maybe just ignore the deaths... i honestly think anything is possible. but this week it gets real when we see how quickly it grows in a population like the UK--they will be the bellwether

my money's on ignoring the deaths. They were telling people here to burn their masks around the time Delta had finished ripping through India

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yuli Ban posted:

What's the worst (realistic) case scenario of Omicron?

Same as the first wave:

A bunch of hospitals quietly overflow capacity, and start turning away patients, leaving them to drown in their own lung jello unsedated at home. Best base scenario you end up with mild brain damage aka "brain fog""

Hospitals have better equipment now but a lot of medical staff are sitting things out now so you'll be assisted by nursing home staff or the national guard