Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RedQueen
Apr 21, 2007

It takes all the running you can do just to stay in the same place.

where are the antibody neutralization preprints?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Greg Legg posted:

You picked right going to Maui because you can't drink the water on Oahu anymore, depending where you are.

E: I'm glad you don't have coronavirus

lol the prelude to that poo poo was on everyday in the local news with ppl saying their water tasted/smelled like fuel

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

RedQueen posted:

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

fits my needs posted:

lol the prelude to that poo poo was on everyday in the local news with ppl saying their water tasted/smelled like fuel

I'm from Hawaii and now I'm homesick! the water was drinkable growing up

E Depois do Adeus
Jun 3, 2012

Nobody has better respect for intelligence than Donald Trump.

RedQueen posted:

Kid, you better think

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

how much hospital understaffing is that hospitals don’t want to hire more and be “over staffed “ when “”covid is over “

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

euphronius posted:

how much hospital understaffing is that hospitals don’t want to hire more and be “over staffed “ when “”covid is over “

65.3783%

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
stay home haole

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

fits my needs posted:

-people with n95s and auras and whatever, but their little kids/babies have no masks lol
Can you put a mask on a baby

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Fast Luck posted:

Can you put a mask on a baby

no, but fortunately kids don’t get it so

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

fits my needs posted:

is now a good time to talk about my thanksgiving week vacation to maui. i took southwest. taking questions.

How was the strip club?

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
There was a huge company Christmas party Friday that I did not attend but many people on my team and our sister teams did. it was in person at this large restaurant/bar warehouse,

20 people out sick today and counting across teams…

LOL.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
seriously though, probs a lot. There were stories everywhere about collapsing rural health care in a variety of flavors(*) and you can dig into for-profit healthcare outrage for a well that never ends to find anecdotes. It wasn't in good shape pre-covid and covid didn't help.

* - refused the expansion of medicaid and thus tanking hospital profitability is my favorite

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

How was the strip club?

we are saving that for the vegas trip prob sometime next year

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

genericnick posted:

Why would you believe that at this point?

Given what we know at this time, it seems Omicron evades immunity much better than Delta but has a lower R0. Since R0 tends to be correlated with mortality in SARS-COV-2 variants, that would suggest Omicron is less deadly to someone who's never been vaccinated or infected with covid. However, exponential growth means it really doesn't matter if it's half as deadly because it's going to spread more than twice as fast thanks to immune evasion.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Lawlicaust posted:

There was a huge company Christmas party Friday that I did not attend but many people on my team and our sister teams did. it was in person at this large restaurant/bar warehouse,

LOL.

:blessed:

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

THEY'VE ONLY BEEN REQUIRING ONE SHOT?!?!?!

:laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo:

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Chamale posted:

Given what we know at this time, it seems Omicron evades immunity much better than Delta but has a lower R0. Since R0 tends to be correlated with mortality in SARS-COV-2 variants, that would suggest Omicron is less deadly to someone who's never been vaccinated or infected with covid. However, exponential growth means it really doesn't matter if it's half as deadly because it's going to spread more than twice as fast thanks to immune evasion.

so just even more of a situation of tossing our vulnerable people into a furnace to power normalcy as it is less risky for some but just as devastating for others, and easier to catch

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Chamale posted:

here's something fun: infections per individual can be better/worse depending on the amount of viral load they get. so if people are distancing and masking but still get infected the load will usually be less, leading to a less severe case

guess what vaccinated people aren't doing with other vaccinated people

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Lawlicaust posted:

LOL.

it's a Monday in December why wouldn't you call in sick

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

fosborb posted:

the outbreak we know the most about in SA is also in an area that is demographically extremely young. like 60% under 35 young

using the first 3 weeks of outcomes there to predict the rest of the world is.... not a great idea

That thread is frustrating because he acknowledges that the hospitalization data is skewed by the lower age group, acknowledges that this means it's not an apples-to-apples comparison, and then goes on to make some broad conclusions anyway.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Paradoxish posted:

That thread is frustrating because he acknowledges that the hospitalization data is skewed by the lower age group, acknowledges that this means it's not an apples-to-apples comparison, and then goes on to make some broad conclusions anyway.

when you're a scientist you can say anything

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Lawlicaust posted:

LOL.

*movie trailer voice* this year, change freeze has a new meaning

Buffer
May 6, 2007
Less deadly than delta is kinda irrelevant if it has an Rt of 3.5 in a non-naive population because immune escape.

It'll grab the combo breaker of crossing us over into the "no medical interventions available" IFR by just tsunami drowning the hospitals. Even if they survive that and some people get care - excess mortality will be bad.

It's also probably pick up lots of fun benefits and opportunities to mutate while it does all this!

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

WoodrowSkillson posted:

so just even more of a situation of tossing our vulnerable people into a furnace to power normalcy as it is less risky for some but just as devastating for others, and easier to catch

not just that but if it's that much more infections then you'd in theory see many more cases of long COVID, which should be fun.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Lol that the grocery store in WA is out of honeycrisp apples. They probably come from really far away. Makes sense

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Buffer posted:

Less deadly than delta is kinda irrelevant if it has an Rt of 3.5 in a non-naive population because immune escape.

It'll grab the combo breaker of crossing us over into the "no medical interventions available" IFR by just tsunami drowning the hospitals. Even if they survive that and some people get care - excess mortality will be bad.

It's also probably pick up lots of fun benefits and opportunities to mutate while it does all this!

Yup. It's going to zerg rush everybody who's not taking precautions against it, and a lot of people have given up or think that a vaccine is the only shield you need.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Lawlicaust posted:

LOL.

how much sucking and loving goes on in your company

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Buffer posted:

nah, it'll be fine

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

this is not real. this can’t be real

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
:suicide:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Lol that the grocery store in WA is out of honeycrisp apples. They probably come from really far away. Makes sense

you couldn't get honeycrisp apples at the grocery store near me for like most of last year. insane.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

how much sucking and loving goes on in your company

can we stop with the loaded questions ?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

lmaoooooooooooo

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

behold the face of america's destruction

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
senpai omicron-chan... n-notice me......

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

me: you gotta go out and live life, you can't live in a bubble

also me:

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

the funko pops had been decimated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster