Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

The LG B1 got delivered today and it’s been a huge upgrade. Really happy with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

codo27 posted:

Forever unreal to me how people think seeing things in slow motion is more authentic than seeing it in closer-to-real-life fluid motion, artifacts aside. I remember me and my friend seeing some extravagantly priced 40" plasma in future shop with the Dark Knight or something like that playing on it many years ago, ever since then I knew I had to have the interpolation feature and every LCD I've had since my first in 2011 has had it, and its been on the whole time.

I wouldn't mind if anyone, literally anyone could come up with a good reason to be in favor of the old fashioned way other than "its what I'm used to". Mankind's oldest and worst crutch.

Oh my god the one person that loves the interpolation feature. That's not even what it's meant for!

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I’m starting to think about an upgrade for my Samsung KS8500.

The things that are bothering me are:
- Ridiculously slow and unresponsive UI
- Constantly losing pairing with my BT headphones
- Optical audio out to soundbar just doesn’t work sometimes
- Brightness fluctuation (when subtitles appear, the whole screen gets way brighter)

Is there a good OLED TV with a decently snappy UI?
I’d be using it for streaming 4K content and PS5 games.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I also have yet to see motion interpolation that does not introduce ugly artifacts.

I can tolerate the lowest of the low setting on my LG to use for those cases where they shove a 24fps source into a 30fps stream, but that's only live action (and even then I can spot some stuff). You use that on animation and you can see lines randomly appearing and disappearing and it makes the whole thing terrible.

On other tvs I've seen random frame hitching, and weird patterns coming from trying to interpolate film grain.

It doesn't really even help clarity on fast moving scenes because the motion blur is baked into the source.

Basically what I'm saying is it's a bad feature that's inherently flawed and can't be fixed.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Harriet Carker posted:

I’m starting to think about an upgrade for my Samsung KS8500.

The things that are bothering me are:
- Ridiculously slow and unresponsive UI
- Constantly losing pairing with my BT headphones
- Optical audio out to soundbar just doesn’t work sometimes
- Brightness fluctuation (when subtitles appear, the whole screen gets way brighter)

Is there a good OLED TV with a decently snappy UI?

Aside from being the absolute worst choice for value every time, Samsung's calling card in the TV industry is poor UI.

Once you get into OLED territory you shouldn't have to worry about that. At some point in a smart TVs lifetime though you will inevitably have to replace the built in features with some kinda external device. Its just on a cheap TV, that may be right out of the box.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Keyser_Soze posted:

I got the LG G1 65" up and it is really, really nice, no issues out of the box and only minor settings adjustments needed. drat is it flimsy though, be careful when mounting.

I sit between 12 and 20 feet away and it still looks huge to me. :newlol:

I have a 55 inch being delivered this week and I’m terrified of taking it out of the box without screwing up the screen. And I’m not even mounting it to the wall, just putting it in my entertainment center

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Harriet Carker posted:

Get an LG C1.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

What would be a fair price for a used 49" Sony X900E? My sister needs to sell her old TV.

I was thinking $350, would that be fair?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

BonoMan posted:

Oh my god the one person that loves the interpolation feature. That's not even what it's meant for!

I like it for anime, tbh

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

codo27 posted:

Samsung's calling card in the TV industry is poor UI.

I have LG C1. Webos it slow stuttery garbage.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
The HDMI CEC features on my new LG C1 are a little too spicy. For example, if I turn on my Nvidia SHIELD when the TV is off, if I was playing PS5 earlier it will turn the PS5 back on and then go "oh look he's playing PS5, switch to that input!" or vice versa.

Is there a way to set it up where turning a device on will turn the TV on, but turning the TV on won't turn the device on?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Mister Facetious posted:

I like it for anime, tbh

Two bad opinions in one

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

BonoMan posted:

Two bad opinions in one

it doubles the framerate to 30fps!

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

prom candy posted:

The HDMI CEC features on my new LG C1 are a little too spicy. For example, if I turn on my Nvidia SHIELD when the TV is off, if I was playing PS5 earlier it will turn the PS5 back on and then go "oh look he's playing PS5, switch to that input!" or vice versa.

Is there a way to set it up where turning a device on will turn the TV on, but turning the TV on won't turn the device on?

I'm pretty sure that's the PS5s fault, mine does the same. I turned off all the CEC functionality in the PS5 settings, which was the only thing that helped.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I was thinking $350, would that be fair?

Nobody has taken a stab at this for good reason I think. In a just world, $350 is probably fair because it's a fairly nice model. In the real world I don't think anyone looking at used tv's is going to care about anything past size and resolution. I think you'll have a hard time finding a buyer for a used 49" tv at any price, when you can pick up a crappy 65" 4k set for $500ish bucks.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

This is true. I guess we can say $350 O.B.O and hope for the best.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

NFX posted:

I'm pretty sure that's the PS5s fault, mine does the same. I turned off all the CEC functionality in the PS5 settings, which was the only thing that helped.

Thanks, I'll just do that then. My old TV didn't have this problem but it might've had a different boot sequence or something

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

MikusR posted:

All of smart TVs have various levels of ads

Consumer reports rates Sony TVs high on privacy and they allow you to turn off a lot of ads and channels and stuff. I’m going to get around to using wire shark to check how much data mine shares but so far I’m sort of surprised how much they let me opt out of.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

LG 65" C1 $1797 shipped - includes $50 Visa gift card. They also have the 77" for $2897 including a $150 Visa GC.

This deal is back.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Should I install bias lighting on/near my TV? Seeing conflicting opinions

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

prom candy posted:

Should I install bias lighting on/near my TV? Seeing conflicting opinions

Yes, but not the color strips because those don't work. White gives better color accuracy on the display.

https://www.biaslighting.com/

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Enos Cabell posted:

Yes, but not the color strips because those don't work. White gives better color accuracy on the display.

Like literally 6500k? I don't allow anything over 3000k in my house.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

prom candy posted:

Like literally 6500k? I don't allow anything over 3000k in my house.

6500k only from what I understand

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I guess if it's only on when the TV is on I could make an exception, I watched the vide on that website and it was pretty convincing. I just hate those blue lightbulbs that have invaded people's homes over the past decade.

Another Dirty Dish
Oct 8, 2009

:argh:
I remember when my rental company got a grant a few years ago to upgrade all the lighting to LEDs - they tossed the nice dim 2800K CFLs I had just bought and replaced them with what I assume were portals directly into the sun. 6 massive, high-output bulbs in a chandelier like two feet above our kitchen table. Turning them on at night was like getting slapped in both eyes.

Anyways 3000K is pretty warm, probably fine for living rooms in general, but as a bias light it would make your TV look a bit too blue. Alternatively, you could do RGB bias lighting for that Twitch-streamer look.

Still waiting for new TV deals to pop up here, seems like a lot of places are still running “Black Friday” deals. I’m guessing it’ll be holding-pattern now until Boxing Day at least.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Another Dirty Dish posted:

Alternatively, you could do RGB bias lighting for that Twitch-streamer look.

I have a bunch of RGB lights in my office/studio and 95% of the time I just leave them on warm white. I'm too old to be cool.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I've seen the LG C1 mentioned here multiple times in the last few pages, is this like the go-to TV for this thread?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

prom candy posted:

I guess if it's only on when the TV is on I could make an exception, I watched the vide on that website and it was pretty convincing. I just hate those blue lightbulbs that have invaded people's homes over the past decade.

or the purple ones that every single techtuber and gamer pundit seems to have

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

obi_ant posted:

I've seen the LG C1 mentioned here multiple times in the last few pages, is this like the go-to TV for this thread?

Yes.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Mister Facetious posted:

or the purple ones that every single techtuber and gamer pundit seems to have

I would much rather hang out in a room with those purple bulbs than the home depot 5000k daylight bulbs that half my friends have filled their homes with. And don't get me started on the people that just have a mix of 5000k and 3000k in the same room. Barf.

obi_ant posted:

Yeah it rocks. Haven't been this hyped about a TV since I got my first plasma in 2008.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Enos Cabell posted:

I have these and I like them a lot. I have them set pretty dim [like 20% I think]. Also if you have a recent Sony TV you cannot connect them directly as they will randomly flash when the TV is off, thanks Google!

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Cross-posting this here in case anyone else with an LG C1 and a PS5 has encountered this.

McCracAttack posted:

Has anyone ever had an issue where 5.1 PCM surround sound works fine on the home screen but when you launch a game it switches to stereo/2.0? I can fix this by popping into the settings after the game launches and toggling it from 5.1 to 2.0 (or 7.1) and back again. After that I return to the game and all is well. But I'd rather not have that extra step.

I have my PS5 connected to an LG C1 which is then feeding audio into this silly contraption via eARC. It may be my weird "receiver" that's the problem but if other folks have encountered this with different equipment I'd love to hear.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

HDTV Thread: LG C1 and the Costco Denon Receiver - discuss

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

prom candy posted:

Try turning off:

General/Devices/TV Management/Quick Start+

That's a kind of sleep mode that's on by default. Disabling that calmed down some issues I had with poo poo turning on and stealing the current input. Takes a bit longer for the TV to turn on though.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

McCracAttack posted:

Try turning off:

General/Devices/TV Management/Quick Start+

That's a kind of sleep mode that's on by default. Disabling that calmed down some issues I had with poo poo turning on and stealing the current input. Takes a bit longer for the TV to turn on though.

I'll try that, thanks!

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Ultimate Mango posted:

HDTV Thread: LG C1 and the Costco Denon Receiver - Next Question

That really should be the thread title.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Awesome. The LG C1 is on my shortlist for the TVs I'm going to look at. Is the Sony Bravia XR A80J another one that this thread approves of? I would've loved to look at the A90J but, the 65" is wayyyyy out of my price point.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

obi_ant posted:

Awesome. The LG C1 is on my shortlist for the TVs I'm going to look at. Is the Sony Bravia XR A80J another one that this thread approves of? I would've loved to look at the A90J but, the 65" is wayyyyy out of my price point.

The A80J is the same panel as the C1, but different hardware around it and software driving it. I think it handles judder better, and I prefer the Android TV interface/ecosystem, but it only has one HDMI 2.1 port. They are very much in the same class in terms of quality.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009
Basically get the A80J if you love film or the C1 if you want all the gaming bells and whistles. I think Best Buy had them at the same price point on Black Friday.

Animale fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Dec 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I have a soundbar in front of what I imagine is the RF sensor on my C1. To turn it on or off I have to get off the couch and do the raised arm point down routine. Once it’s on though the navigation is fine from the couch. Why is it only the power that’s being affected by the soundbar blocking?