Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

GB2 is at least funny with great quotes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ImpAtom posted:

"Ghostbusters 2 is a thinly veiled rehash of the first where most of the cast very clearly does not want to be there" isn't exactly a hot take. Many people (myself included) still enjoy it but it's very much a lesser film.

Yeah, the worst problem with GB2 is you've already seen it once before.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, the worst problem with GB2 is you've already seen it once before.

The worst part of this one is you’ve seen it 3 times already

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Ghostbusters is a going in to business movie.
Ghostbusters 2 is a going back into business movie.
Ghostbusters 2016 is a going into business movie.
Ghostbusters Aftterlife is a going back into business movie.

The franchise has retread ground. If I had a time machine and poo poo tons of money I'd make the Ghostbusters a monster of the week show like the X-Files, or even something closer to the cartoon.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I am going to pancake all your cars with the statue of liberty

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
It makes me laugh that every other week someone is posting in a Ghosbusters group saying stuff like 'hey guys why did they have grey suits in GB2? Was it for this reason because of the lore?'

Venkman literally told you about this in the first movie people, it's to sell more toys. In fact that could have been an actual motivation of Venkman in GB2. I just can't fathom how these people can't tell that for all it's goodness everything after GB1 is a cash grab, regardless of quality. For every Matty Trap there is some random crap with a GB logo slapped on it.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Dec 22, 2021

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Alan_Shore posted:

GB2 is at least funny with great quotes

There’s one in the thread title!

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!
I remember going to see GB2 in the cinema as a kid, and I absolutely loved every minute of it. That movie really got me into the franchise, and for that I'll always love it.

Yeah, it's not as good as the first and it is basically the same film again, but it's far from bad.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

deoju posted:

Ghostbusters is a going in to business movie.
Ghostbusters 2 is a going back into business movie.
Ghostbusters 2016 is a going into business movie.
Ghostbusters Aftterlife is a going back into business movie.

The franchise has retread ground. If I had a time machine and poo poo tons of money I'd make the Ghostbusters a monster of the week show like the X-Files, or even something closer to the cartoon.

I'd take a page from Red Letter Media and explore different issues with running a business. Knock-off competitors, Ghosbusters unionizing and Venkman breaking the law by union busting, Ghostbusters go bankrupt, Venkman breaks a non-compete clause and splinters off, whatever. Just play with the premise.

roffels fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Dec 6, 2021

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
GB2 definitely has a strong "you had to be there" element to it, because if you were 5 years old in 1989 then it's gonna have a totally different significance to you than other people. For a kid who was dressing up in the costumes for Halloween(I was a Ghostbuster 2 years in a row) and watching the cartoon series every day after school and buying all the toys, it just didn't occur to us that GB2 was a rehash or that the cast didn't want to be there. We were so unbelievably hyped for another Ghostbusters that we weren't even thinking on those terms.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ghostbusters knock-off competitors loving things up and making problems worse (or even the converse, developing new tech and being actual competition) are both fantastic ideas for a sequel hook.

I think part of the “problem” with the very premise in the movies is that ghost activity only happens when there’s a larger threat that causes it (Ivo Shandor’s high rise channeling spirits and bringing Gozer, Vigo in the second movie, Shandor’s Gozer shrine in the third, even Shandor’s mandala in the video game) that it makes the Ghostbusters premise as depicted in the movies essentially unsustainable without constant Big Bad Guys causing ghost activity as a byproduct. Afterlife even says there had been no ghost activity for 30 years (because the Ghostbusters stopped the root cause), and that business flat out dried up because of it.

Like the first movie kind of threw it in the audience’s face that there’s a *reason* why all of a sudden there are actual honest to god corporeal ghosts for serious showing up all over specifically New York and nowhere else, when there hadn’t been before.

I don’t know how RGB addressed this, but the movies kind of wrote themselves into a corner.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Dec 6, 2021

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

That they couldn't do a movie with 'actually Gozer's arrival weakened the walls enough so ghosts get in now but not to the same degree' or something - like that, yes, ghosts are just always a thing now like in the cartoon or comics - has always been odd to me. Although I guess that would make GB2 along those lines in Adventures in Franchising and not Adventures in Small Business Start-Up But Again so I don't know if it's any better.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think the way it's presented in the movies, the big bads like Gozer and Vigo can stir things up to such a degree that you get these massive build-ups of ghost energy that leads to an entire city being overrun with ghosts, but that doesn't mean there's literally NO ghosts when those guys aren't around, just maybe not enough to sustain the type of booming business we saw in the first movie.

So I don't see any reason why there couldn't be a GB movie that is about a ghost situation that was simply created some other way, like by more traditional means(trauma, unfinished business, etc.). It would just mean the Ghostbusters wouldn't be saving an entire city, maybe instead they just save one family or something like that. Not every GB story has to be a huge apocalyptic situation.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Basebf555 posted:

I think the way it's presented in the movies, the big bads like Gozer and Vigo can stir things up to such a degree that you get these massive build-ups of ghost energy that leads to an entire city being overrun with ghosts, but that doesn't mean there's literally NO ghosts when those guys aren't around, just maybe not enough to sustain the type of booming business we saw in the first movie.

So I don't see any reason why there couldn't be a GB movie that is about a ghost situation that was simply created some other way, like by more traditional means(trauma, unfinished business, etc.). It would just mean the Ghostbusters wouldn't be saving an entire city, maybe instead they just save one family or something like that. Not every GB story has to be a huge apocalyptic situation.
The problem is that three times in a row, it has been an apocalyptic situation, and Afterlife full on says there have been no ghosts in 30 years (until it’s an apocalyptic situation again, which evidently happens on a known schedule based on carvings).

Like I agree that future movies or whatever should move away from that, and it’s not hard to retcon, but it is the pattern the movies showed.

For those that have read them, are the comics any good?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Xenomrph posted:

The problem is that three times in a row, it has been an apocalyptic situation, and Afterlife full on says there have been no ghosts in 30 years (until it’s an apocalyptic situation again, which evidently happens on a known schedule based on carvings).

I feel like "no ghosts" just means there haven't been any high profile publicly known situations ala a giant marshmallow man walking through downtown NY or a jello mold engulfing a museum or the ghost Titanic showing up to port. It doesn't mean there aren't people out there being spooked by random isolated ghost encounters.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Basebf555 posted:

I feel like "no ghosts" just means there haven't been any high profile publicly known situations ala a giant marshmallow man walking through downtown NY or a jello mold engulfing a museum or the ghost Titanic showing up to port. It doesn't mean there aren't people out there being spooked by random isolated ghost encounters.
I’d agree if Ray didn’t say they went out of business.

All of this is making me want to rewatch GB2. I rewatched the first one very recently after seeing Afterlife because I bought the 4K of the first movie, but it’s been ages since I watched the sequel.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Xenomrph posted:

They really are. You can't get them legally anymore since IDW lost the license, but they're worth tracking down.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Not even as trade paperbacks?

Who has the license now?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
To take the first movie, Slimer apparently existed in some form or other before the boys in grey turned up. “Well, most of the original staff knows about the twelfth floor. […] But it's been quiet for years up until two weeks ago. It was never, ever this bad, though.” You could make the argument he was only active during the Gozer cycles, however.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Basebf555 posted:

GB2 definitely has a strong "you had to be there" element to it, because if you were 5 years old in 1989 then it's gonna have a totally different significance to you than other people. For a kid who was dressing up in the costumes for Halloween(I was a Ghostbuster 2 years in a row) and watching the cartoon series every day after school and buying all the toys, it just didn't occur to us that GB2 was a rehash or that the cast didn't want to be there. We were so unbelievably hyped for another Ghostbusters that we weren't even thinking on those terms.

I still remember being in the car on the way home from Ghostbusters 2 and one of my parents asked which one I liked more and I said GB2. I said it because I was a child, and it was newer, and I literally just saw it. I remember my parents not sharing my preference and at the time I was confused as to why.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

GB2 is very much a live action RGB episode, and I can see that appealing to kids more.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't think the "Ghosts only appear during maximum Gozer" stuff makes any sense because Ray and Egon clearly had been researching it for a long rear end time and Tobin's Spirit Guide appears to be at least partially accurate. It makes sense they are not as common (thus why the Librarian Ghost is such a big deal because they treat it like it's a *way* bigger deal than just a standard ghost) but they probably existed.

Hell if you wanted to do something different just say that most American cities are too young to have a nice big ghost buildup (that doesn't involve uncomfortably racist pre-colonial ghosts) and set it in England or something. Get Simon Pegg involved.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ghostbusters International, get Chris Hemsworth.

As I write that sentence, even I can’t tell if I’m joking or not.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I don't know if I want to see a bunch of Ghostbusters business movies where they're in corporate cutthroat situations. On the other hand, I watched RGB as a kid and I thought it wasn't bad at all but I can't imagine just making a movie about bustin' the latest big bad, not sure if that works either.

All my opinion here but I think what makes GB works is that it has very strong character archetypes that are embodied by generational comic talents in very quotable and iconic scripts that are clever. I know it's not cool right now to call anything clever but I think GB (and even GB2, although way way less) are actually for-real clever movies that make you laugh with absurd scripted moments and comedy character work. They are interesting! The idea of eggs jumping out of their shells and cooking themselves on a counter is a weird and interesting idea, and it's a throwaway gag in GB. This is where GB16 falls down hard. It just isn't interesting. GB16 has large stretches where it's an improv exercise around ghost bustin' so it loses almost everything that makes the first one great. It's not a very clever movie (Mike Hat is clever! people like that part), the characters archetypes are there but because it's all on the shoulders of the actors (and not on 3 coked-up friends who spend months creating and refining gags until they absolutely sang) it just doesn't work very well. And G:A didn't land for me because it's very rarely clever (although there are some cool ideas that I did enjoy, but they are fairly fleeting and sandwiched between a bunch of poo poo that apes the first movie) and the character moments are fine, but they usually aren't funny at all and aren't trying to be.

A note on GB2: The last bunch of posts in this thread have been talking about how lukewarm they were on GB2 (and I am too) but almost literally everything Louis says in that movie is adorably quotable. "I was born to wear this stuff" and such. He's a great character and if you took him out GB2 would be a lot worse for it. This is why I think the scripting and talent is so important in these films. The Ghostbusters IP is probably one of the trickiest franchises to manage because it's built on a couple of singular events (the movie and the RGB, which was helmed by a team type that doesn't really exist in children's television anymore) that are not repeatable on demand. It will take a while before these elements line up again, IMO.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Dec 6, 2021

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I don't think the "Ghosts only appear during maximum Gozer" stuff makes any sense because Ray and Egon clearly had been researching it for a long rear end time and Tobin's Spirit Guide appears to be at least partially accurate. It makes sense they are not as common (thus why the Librarian Ghost is such a big deal because they treat it like it's a *way* bigger deal than just a standard ghost) but they probably existed.

Hell if you wanted to do something different just say that most American cities are too young to have a nice big ghost buildup (that doesn't involve uncomfortably racist pre-colonial ghosts) and set it in England or something. Get Simon Pegg involved.

The way I figured it was that all the ghosts were always there but they need psychokinetic energy to become more corporeal, the more psychokinetic energy there is in the atmosphere the more powerful the ghosts are. Now normally in any given place the psychokinetic energy is moderate so ghosts are only barely visible, and can only slightly effect their environments, and this accounts for any and all ghost sightings that Egon and Ray were already studying. It also accounts for Slimer, whose previous escapades had probably comparatively little impact, just some slight spookiness - "the disturbances on the twelfth floor". But, as 55 Central Park West is actually pulling in and concentrating psychokinetic energy it's increasing the amount of it in the New York area, so it's essentially applying a super battery charge to the ghosts that are already there. This is why Slimer is now visible and can cause more extravagant chaos "it was never this bad though", and why the Library Ghost, who again was always likely there, is suddenly "blowing books off shelves from twenty feet away".

So, in terms of sequel ideas, I guess you'd just have to find a ghost that is already charged up or whatever or another place with psycho-kinetic energy. It's easy enough to write around though. You could just say after Gozer's attacks the psychokinetic energy didn't disperse so now New York is permanently home to turbo-charged ghosts, or some such thing, it's all made up anyway.

CelticPredator posted:

I’m just baffled by the entire thing. Even more baffled they turned a character played by a real life person who is now dead into a weird deadbeat creepy old man who apparently zapped himself to death so he can trigger the apocalypse and make his estranged daughter and her children save the day. It’s such a weird choice and kind of messed up honestly because the man who helped make this character come to life isn’t here. It feels disrespectful. Maybe it’s not and Ivan and Ramis got together and talked about it before he died as a potential story but idk.

It don’t feel right. I don’t get it. Like alright don’t make a ghostbusters movie a comedy (?) but adding all this lore and depth to a franchise like this is very very very strange to me.

I’m looking forward to Evolution: The Second Cycle about the tragic death of Julliane Moore to cancer from the Alien radiation and the son of her and duchovny must team up with Orlando Jones to defeat a alien virus that is trying to kill the whole town. Also Sean William Scott is an old crazy man who yells at the wall bc the whole event melted his brain or something. It’s absurd.

That's fair enough, I do think the reason that this one has inspired such visceral distaste, above and beyond just thinking the film sucks, is due to the ethical dimension vis a vis Ramis and how he is utilised. I visited a friend yesterday and we discussed the film and they were pretty appalled by it. It escalates the stakes of the criticisms and this is doubtlessly not going to stop with this film, there are some robust discussions to come about the likenesses of the deceased and a potential nightmare future where corporations run riot resurrecting dead actors. I do think the lore though is somewhat underrated in the original 84 film, it wasn't just a goof of, they clearly gave it a lot of thought melding different bits of Lovecraftian concepts with satanic panic stuff and pagan rituals into a really cool chimera of ideas - I would even go as far as saying the combination of modernity and traditional haunted house stuff was in its own way influential. Poltergeist was a few years earlier, and that and Ghostbusters with their demons and ghosts attacking through modern appliances feel like precursors to stuff like Ring etc.

Karloff fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 6, 2021

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Xenomrph posted:

Not even as trade paperbacks?

Who has the license now?

Nobody as far as I know. I guess to be fair the digital comics were 'only' pulled from the marketplace which amounts to the same thing. You can try to find the print versions but I don't know how easy that is since IDW has been historically bad about keeping trades in print.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Xenomrph posted:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

You know you’d watch it. Bah Humbug.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

The one interesting idea in 2016 was that the bad guy was a human. They could do that again, ghosts are becoming more prevalent because an evil scientist/team of Ghostbusters are creating them? Then these bozos conveniently show up to deal with the problem with a fake electronic light show

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

So ‘The Frighteners’ meets Spider-Man: Far From Home’? I can dig it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Xenomrph posted:

You know you’d watch it. Bah Humbug.

I hated International. And I didn’t like Chris hemsworth in 2016. So no. I wouldn’t watch it. The only way I’d watch another ghostbusters movie is if they do extreme ghostbusters or something with a new team, a new plot, and new monsters. You can keep Ray and Winston if you have too. But I beg you. Just do something else.

Ghostbusters are cool. I don’t get the TFAification of them.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

I hated International. And I didn’t like Chris hemsworth in 2016.
Oh yeah?? For every time you don’t watch this hypothetical movie that doesn’t exist, I’m going to watch it in my mind’s eye twice. :colbert:

I’m not saying it should be MIB International But Ghostbusters (I didn’t see MIB International and I’m not in a hurry to), but Chris Hemsworth has good comedic timing when given the right material and putting him in a foreign “franchised” GB team (or poo poo, even a rival “knock off” team) isn’t a bad idea, and bonus points for instantly getting people riled up for the immediate comparisons to both MIB International and GB2016 right out of the gate before the movie even comes out.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don’t know why you think watching it more is a slight against me at all lol. I don’t really have any problem with you watching and loving it.

My problem is with the movie and the filmmakers alone.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Karloff posted:

The way I figured it was that all the ghosts were always there but they need psychokinetic energy to become more corporeal, the more psychokinetic energy there is in the atmosphere the more powerful the ghosts are. Now normally in any given place the psychokinetic energy is moderate so ghosts are only barely visible, and can only slightly effect their environments, and this accounts for any and all ghost sightings that Egon and Ray were already studying. It also accounts for Slimer, whose previous escapades had probably comparatively little impact, just some slight spookiness - "the disturbances on the twelfth floor". But, as 55 Central Park West is actually pulling in and concentrating psychokinetic energy it's increasing the amount of it in the New York area, so it's essentially applying a super battery charge to the ghosts that are already there. This is why Slimer is now visible and can cause more extravagant chaos "it was never this bad though", and why the Library Ghost, who again was always likely there, is suddenly "blowing books off shelves from twenty feet away".

So, in terms of sequel ideas, I guess you'd just have to find a ghost that is already charged up or whatever or another place with psycho-kinetic energy. It's easy enough to write around though. You could just say after Gozer's attacks the psychokinetic energy didn't disperse so now New York is permanently home to turbo-charged ghosts, or some such thing, it's all made up anyway.

Yeah for the plot to work the first movie needed to be configured in a way that ghosts had always been around but most people didn't really believe in them, but then they suddenly start turning up way more frequently and obviously in a specific city at a specific time. They obviously weren't concerned about sequels or anything like that when they established that backstory but the final shot of Slimer charging at the screen pretty much confirmed that things hadn't gone back to normal yet.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Xenomrph posted:

Get Tessa Thompson instead. :swoon:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

I don’t know why you think watching it more is a slight against me at all lol. I don’t really have any problem with you watching and loving it.

My problem is with the movie and the filmmakers alone.

I’m joking :ssh:

deoju posted:

Get Tessa Thompson instead. :swoon:

poo poo, why not both!

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Dec 22, 2021

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I would unironically love it if the Conjuring series ended with the ghosts getting busted.

Also I’m convinced people who don’t like Ghostbusters 2 hate fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Coffee And Pie posted:

I would unironically love it if the Conjuring series ended with the ghosts getting busted.

I'd be fine with any ending to a Conjuring movie that didn't involve the loving Warrens.