Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

LanceHunter posted:

It seems like you're misreading Dan's tweet. It seems pretty clear that he is making fun of the people dunking on the person and trying to defend what is clearly a very cringe description (in a long line of very cringe D&D descriptions).

I’m not misreading his tweet. He started with “Someone posted the 5E description of Orcs and said ‘why would you say this about black people?!’ which is a bit self-revealing…” Which the original tweet never did. And if he wasn’t trying to describe the original tweet with that, he certainly didn’t do anything to clarify or correct the confusion afterwards.

Dias posted:

I think Dan just disagreed with the reading and you can judge that on its own merits (something something not everything is an allegory the NA educational system broke your brains), people just really wanna Get 'Em On Twitter.

This is true too, social media is in a state where there will always be people who never forgive you for something or other. On the other hand, this also was a joke that was just inviting trouble so it’s kind of a “What did you expect?” situation.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Dec 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
That Dan tweet reads obviously sarcastic.

But Twitter, and all of its users, is trash, so… :shrug:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Nuns with Guns posted:

Im not misreading his tweet. He started with Someone posted the 5E description of Orcs and said why would you say this about black people?! which is a bit self-revealing Which the original tweet never did. And if he wasnt trying to describe the original tweet with that, he certainly didnt do anything to clarify or correct the confusion afterwards.

I mean, he didn't single out anyone AFAIK, which just makes this poo poo weirder, dude COULD have been commenting on discourse around the tweet. However,

Antigravitas posted:

Twitter, and all of its users, is trash, so :shrug:

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

That more recent tweet of Dan’s is clearly a joke.

As for the earlier one, he could’ve worded it a bit clearer but he’s definitely against the people doing the dunking, hence the part about them “pretending that DnD has never mapped real racial stereotypes onto its fantasy”.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Dias posted:

I mean, he didn't single out anyone AFAIK, which just makes this poo poo weirder, dude COULD have been commenting on discourse around the tweet. However,

He was commenting on the wider discourse, too. Presenting the start of it like that was just off in a way that was guaranteed to anger more people though. Like you said, it’s weird.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Nuns with Guns posted:

I’m not misreading his tweet. He started with “Someone posted the 5E description of Orcs and said ‘why would you say this about black people?!’ which is a bit self-revealing…” Which the original tweet never did. And if he wasn’t trying to describe the original tweet with that, he certainly didn’t do anything to clarify or correct the confusion afterwards.

The original tweet starts with "Cw blatant racism", so unless op was legitimately concerned that people needed to be shielded from racism against actual orcs they were aware about what stereotypes were being laundered through that description. Yeah, the "self-revealing" part was bad but the entire rest of the tweet is pointing out that op was kinda right. But, ultimately...

Antigravitas posted:

But Twitter, and all of its users, is trash, so… :shrug:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Nuns with Guns posted:

He was commenting on the wider discourse, too. Presenting the start of it like that was just off in a way that was guaranteed to anger more people though. Like you said, its weird.

It's the Twitter Effect, if you're actively using the site as a personality you gotta be aware of the semiotics, because people WILL go for the least charitable interpretation of your words and defend it as the only possible one.

Just so not ALL of my posts are bitching about Twitter culture, I've been really enjoying Laura Crone's videos, and her most recent one on Astrologaster and playing games "wrong" reminded me of my childhood, we just made up the stupidest poo poo up about the games we played because they were all in foreign languages. It's like playing creepypasta games but it's all real!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lBfuIKcvv0&hd=1

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Bakeneko posted:

That more recent tweet of Dan’s is clearly a joke.

Very obviously, yeah. it's a Twitter meme that people make about "lowbies" with small follower counts. it's like getting mad about reg dates ironically.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Talk about Arte instead: Iraq: The Power of Art

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

LanceHunter posted:

The original tweet starts with "Cw blatant racism", so unless op was legitimately concerned that people needed to be shielded from racism against actual orcs they were aware about what stereotypes were being laundered through that description. Yeah, the "self-revealing" part was bad but the entire rest of the tweet is pointing out that op was kinda right. But, ultimately...

The "self revealing" is saying that Dan thinks the original tweet is bad, and actually they are the real racist. Especially when the final tweet in the thread is :https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/status/1254454703309520896
which really seems to point that he thinks Quinn isn't bringing up anything that actually matters.

The fact that he keeps joking about it when there were a lot of people back then telling him he was misrepresenting and to remove it(even people close to his sphere of associates like Shannon Strucci), because it fueled harassment is really lovely. Going "LOL I can gently caress people over, but who cares about them am I right" from someone who tries to present themselves as somewhat progressive is a really bad look. Even if it wasn't intentional, ignoring the actual harm you do is bad, and not removing it when it lead to more harassment is even worse.
But really why is it that a lot of people who claim to be writers / work with words suddenly don't understand what effect their words have on social media? Or they point out how others words can cause harms, but claim that their own words have no power?

Antigravitas posted:

Have you heard of Arte? :sun:
They are expanding into more and more languages and their content is great. And if you tire of their documentaries (which can be genuinely harrowing and draining) they have a docu series of European traditional food.
(though it's better to watch on arte.tv due to Youtube's censorship)

The German youtube space is a bit weird (and frankly I hate most of it). You have the usual crap aimed explicitly at building and exploiting parasocial relationships.

Most of the good content is at least partially funded by public broadcasters. So Mailab (https://www.youtube.com/c/maiLab/videos) is genuinely good content, but if you look in the about page it's affiliated with Funk, which is a content network out of a cooperation of two German broadcasters. Kurzgesagt is the same – good content, affiliated with Funk. Funk is funded with 45 million € a year. (pocket change, basically)

And then you look at the Funk website and see the list of channels: https://www.funk.net/channel/

A lot of channels on that list existed before. Rocket Beans for example, who do gaming stuff. They have cameos in some German games (The dead roleplaying group in Elex is voiced by them)

There's STRG_F (https://www.youtube.com/c/STRGF/videos), a small team of reporters doing investigative journalism on youtube.

Dito Y-Kollektiv (https://www.youtube.com/c/ykollektiv/videos)

Thanks looks interesting and a good excuse to touch up my german skills, I'll look into those when I have the time.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Hel posted:

The "self revealing" is saying that Dan thinks the original tweet is bad, and actually they are the real racist. Especially when the final tweet in the thread is :https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/status/1254454703309520896
which really seems to point that he thinks Quinn isn't bringing up anything that actually matters.

he’s saying that the people denying that there are racial stereotypes in DnD are stupid, hth

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Knowledge to invoke emotions within people and knowledge to (at least somewhat) control what people do with those emotions are two separate things.

That said it is embarrassing that people who are media critics both fail to fully grasp their own mediums then see any attempt to fix and/or take responsibility as either too big to do or just open yourself up to the grinder. That's an half truth that doesn't excuse nothing doing at best.

However, I don't see how those tweets that's saying " I can't get mad about a take when the objections are denying the real racial and political history of what's being read into" is anything like Hel puts it. Unless an explicit endorsement is needed for it to not be an dunk.

Apathy is not really hatred. I'm not denying that even people who support those tweets could've misread them that way but unless you're advocating all discourse become unequivocally Mobproof (That's not possible even for political in-groups especially in late catipailsm hellchambers) then that's more on them and Dan needed to dunk on those people too at most.

Rockit fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Dec 6, 2021

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Libluini posted:

I'm always kind of amazed to learn people actually earnestly sit down and watch those overly long video essays instead of just letting them run in the background like an audio play. I'd never notice poo poo like this.

Whenever Hbomberguy has a new video, I will sit down and watch it when I'm watching it for the first time, but first time viewings of Hbomb vids is like, the only time I do that haha Any other time, be it rewatching an hbomb vid, or watching any other 2 plus hour vid, I'm playing some grindy rpg or mindless fps while listening to it.

Yardbomb posted:

If I made extremely long video essays, at some point in every video I'd just do a Fight Club and slip a like one millionth frame of a butt in there somewhere different each time. All my real fans know the cheek timestamps. :v:

lmfao

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
New video from F.D Signifier:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41B5YonixBs

It’s kind of a bummer that Kat Blaque did a similar video a few years ago, and there’s still a disconnect between Black leftist video creators and the mostly white Breadtube audience.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Hel posted:

The fact that he keeps joking about it when there were a lot of people back then telling him he was misrepresenting and to remove it(even people close to his sphere of associates like Shannon Strucci), because it fueled harassment is really lovely. Going "LOL I can gently caress people over, but who cares about them am I right" from someone who tries to present themselves as somewhat progressive is a really bad look. Even if it wasn't intentional, ignoring the actual harm you do is bad, and not removing it when it lead to more harassment is even worse.
But really why is it that a lot of people who claim to be writers / work with words suddenly don't understand what effect their words have on social media? Or they point out how others words can cause harms, but claim that their own words have no power?

Thanks looks interesting and a good excuse to touch up my german skills, I'll look into those when I have the time.

I appreciate you providing the extra context, thank you.

I wouldn't exactly say that subtweeting is encouraging his fans to go harass the dude, but calling that tweet "self revealing" was an extremely stupid choice, and he should have absolutely known better. Which is a bit of a trend with his online posting, should have known better

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
this thread is somethingawful’s kiwifarms

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Bonaventure posted:

Yes, we’ve been over this. Every forum thread where there is remembering happening is doxxing/stalking.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Dan was either not doing parody and genuinely thinks that tweet was some kinda double reverse 'you're the real racist' reveal or he's so bad at parody he thinks it's just when you lie for a bit and never reveal the joke, either way he's really loving dumb

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Nuns with Guns posted:

Yes, we’ve been over this. Every forum thread where there is remembering happening is doxxing/stalking.

just a couple pages ago people were asking if anyone ever looked into an LPers personal life and did they find anything scandalous

ya’ll are broken

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Augus posted:

just a couple pages ago people were asking if anyone ever looked into an LPers personal life and did they find anything scandalous

ya’ll are broken

Which one? The Drakkenguard guy? My remembering skills are failing me here because I skim over the historical LPer discussion in this thread.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Bonaventure posted:

it really loving sucks when it becomes Twitter dissection time in search of problematic poo poo by the most humorless motherfuckers. just post youtube videos you like, jesus

Here's a cool calculator

https://youtu.be/7Kd3R_RlXgc

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Yeah it was the Drakengard guy.

Augus posted:

ya’ll are broken

That was one guy with a weird hangup on him but sure believe what you wanna believe.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Augus posted:

ya’ll are broken

i also remember you goin to bat for duranki you wanna go this direction, pal

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
look at the posters posting about internet celebrity drama and ask yourself: do you wanna be like those posters

because im one and i wouldnt recommend it

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

i have never once seen a 'this person said something i disagree with on twitter' post ITT where the ensuing discussion isn't completely deranged, especially if the tweet in question is so vague that there needs to be additional context

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnI-ANK7xNs

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Alaois posted:

i also remember you goin to bat for duranki you wanna go this direction, pal

yeah that sucked and was stupid
you should probably stop stalking people online to find out intimate details about their family tho.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Dias posted:

look at the posters posting about internet celebrity drama and ask yourself: do you wanna be like those posters

because im one and i wouldnt recommend it

Personally, I seal myself in a memory pod and siphon all my thoughts and memories to my Nobody every lunar cycle. Really helps keep you fresh.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I woke up from a dream where I became the subject of a viral prank video by Ray William Johnson and I was trying my hardest to explain to people I wasn't part of his media team. Anyway can someone remember some things about who this person is and post about him, so I can brutally destroy him in my mind

As dreams go I can no longer recall what was the prank, I think he made me fall down

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I woke up from a dream where I became the subject of a viral prank video by Ray William Johnson and I was trying my hardest to explain to people I wasn't part of his media team. Anyway can someone remember some things about who this person is and post about him, so I can brutally destroy him in my mind

As dreams go I can no longer recall what was the prank, I think he made me fall down

Lol owned.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i love stalking people, and taking pictures of their families

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

is that notch

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The Saddest Rhino posted:

The only thing I can tell you is that you can call him Ray or you can call him Jay, or Johnny, or RJ but you doesn't hasta call him Johnson.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Ghostlight posted:

The only thing I can tell you is that you can call him Ray or you can call him Jay, or Johnny, or RJ but you doesn't hasta call him Johnson.

"I'm sick of him already!"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Augus posted:

is that notch

It’s Indians Jones

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Augus posted:

is that notch

It's a garbodor wearing a fedora.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

you could have just said yes.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I thought Notch only stalked the halls of his lonely mansion, rotting candy the only thing keeping him company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Garbodor doesn't deserve to be lumped in with Notch.