Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

sixth and maimed posted:

Sent out a mail this morning that the ERP upgrade of this weekend was concluded succesfully and in case of any issue to contact support. Had a reply to my email almost immediatly from a user to tell outlook wouldn't open.

Why did you break Outlook with your ERP upgrade?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

"We need to upload these old backups to Wasabi"

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
in the distance, but slowly crescendoing, you hear the sound of a tape drive spinning

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Who gets to sit around while those CDs? DVDs? spin for literal days?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Sickening posted:

I now windows hello and fido2 for most everything. Let’s just say life is pretty great right now.

Fido2 works only on hybrid/online azure ad sadly, fully local cannot use it, hello has been vetoed by management so i have no idea on local-only options.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

in the distance, but slowly crescendoing, you hear the sound of a tape drive spinning

Andrew Tanenbaum posted:

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway

Will always remain one of my favorite quotes that still holds true to this day, and probably will for a long time.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Sheep posted:

Who gets to sit around while those CDs? DVDs? spin for literal days?

Which lucky online storage provider will be getting all this data

240 tapes (100GB to 3TB raw)

150 DVD's (they appear to be terminated users desktops, documents, PST files)

So in theory if we restored 1TB of data PER DAY, and uploaded it to the cloud, we could do this in around 300 days.

Wasabi is $5.99/TB/month

That's only $1,440 a month once we are fully loaded

Also this data...it's all file server backups I would imagine. So it's the same 1TB of data over and over. Not sure why they have daily backups (government compliance hurr) instead of just having a yearly tape

Who the gently caress is going to put this all together and dedupe it?

What format are the tapes in?

WHAT ARE THE ENCRYPTION KEYS

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Roundboy posted:

Will always remain one of my favorite quotes that still holds true to this day, and probably will for a long time.

It's all about the ratio of Data Size versus Transfer Speed. For SneakerNet to become the less efficient option Size has to decrease, Speed has to increase, or some combination of both. Dramatically. In the realm of a few orders of magnitude difference.

I don't do that job anymore, but for a time, I dealt with customers uploading backups to the cloud. You wouldn't believe the amount of effort I put into explaining to customers that the time it takes to upload is not a software problem, it's a math problem. You have several terabytes of data. You have a DSL connection with 512kbps upload speed. It will take months to transfer at those speeds. And you're adding new data faster than you're uploading; you will never be able to complete this.

You can't drain the ocean through a straw.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Roundboy posted:

Yeah but latency's a bugger and don't even ask about error correction

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Data Graham posted:

Yeah but latency's a bugger and don't even ask about error correction

Actually this reminded me of one of the horrible cowritten Tom Clancy books .. netops? i think it was where in THE FUTURE you can access the internet in VR, and your packet is obviously a car you are driving to your website destination. And the other traffic on the highway is just packets. Big data = big trucks etc.

You can hack / crash things by causing a traffic jam. My brain never recovered from the mental exercise to make this metaphor work

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Roundboy posted:

Actually this reminded me of one of the horrible cowritten Tom Clancy books .. netops? i think it was where in THE FUTURE you can access the internet in VR, and your packet is obviously a car you are driving to your website destination. And the other traffic on the highway is just packets. Big data = big trucks etc.

You can hack / crash things by causing a traffic jam. My brain never recovered from the mental exercise to make this metaphor work

Oh god my parents got that book for me when I was a teenager in the 90's. I remember laughing my way through that book, it was full of ridiculous stuff like that.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

WHAT ARE THE ENCRYPTION KEYS

I think we all know this one.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Roundboy posted:

That was one of the few textbooks I bought in college and the only one I don't regret wasting money on.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Who the gently caress is going to put this all together and dedupe it?

I think this kind of gets back to the "only keep what you don't mind being used against you in court" school of data retention. Stuff where you have no idea what it is, the owners are long gone, and you have no business, legal or regulatory requirements to keep it, should probably just be tossed with extreme prejudice.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Sheep posted:

I think this kind of gets back to the "only keep what you don't mind being used against you in court" school of data retention. Stuff where you have no idea what it is, the owners are long gone, and you have no business, legal or regulatory requirements to keep it, should probably just be tossed with extreme prejudice.

Yea we have to keep everything for 10 years and might have to keep it for 50 soon (at least for Boeing)

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Im not an expert in this area, but if the discs are old enough, wouldnt bit rot be a legitimate concern at this point?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I don't know man. I have music cds I created in the 90s that still work.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Keeping computer files for 50 years isn't a small undertaking. It's not on the scale of those nuclear waste long-term warning projects, but it's not just a case of burning some discs and shoving them into storage. Probably every decade you will need to shift onto a new format either to avoid the media degrading or to ensure that modern LTO drives can still read the data. You'll also need to ensure that applications that can read the files are stored with the archives, and probably keep some computers as well. It's then an ongoing project to ensure this all still works, and will involve testing that the archived data can be read.

It's related to a discussion I'm having with my sister at the moment as this is the first generation of parents that are taking pictures of their kids and just leaving them in iCloud, which has the potential to go horribly wrong. All I can really suggest is that she makes use of the various online photo printing sites and stores photo albums in a cool and dry place, because maintaining a digital archive that relies on ongoing payment, accounts not getting compromised, companies not imploding overnight etc. is a lot more work.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

My parents just moved out of their house after 30 years and one thing my mom did was take boxes and boxes of slides and migrate them to digital. Thank loving god.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

GreenNight posted:

My parents just moved out of their house after 30 years and one thing my mom did was take boxes and boxes of slides and migrate them to digital. Thank loving god.

:same: My parents just did a huge project of converting their old slides to jpegs, and in the process sent them all to me and my brother in batches of six at a time along with a long email of caption text for each one. It took like a year to get through it all. Their lives ruled

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Thanks Ants posted:

Keeping computer files for 50 years isn't a small undertaking. It's not on the scale of those nuclear waste long-term warning projects, but it's not just a case of burning some discs and shoving them into storage. Probably every decade you will need to shift onto a new format either to avoid the media degrading or to ensure that modern LTO drives can still read the data. You'll also need to ensure that applications that can read the files are stored with the archives, and probably keep some computers as well. It's then an ongoing project to ensure this all still works, and will involve testing that the archived data can be read.

It's related to a discussion I'm having with my sister at the moment as this is the first generation of parents that are taking pictures of their kids and just leaving them in iCloud, which has the potential to go horribly wrong. All I can really suggest is that she makes use of the various online photo printing sites and stores photo albums in a cool and dry place, because maintaining a digital archive that relies on ongoing payment, accounts not getting compromised, companies not imploding overnight etc. is a lot more work.

Eh, I'm of the opinion that if Apple or Google were to implode overnight, we'd have significantly bigger fish to fry than family photos.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

I just downloaded all of my stuff from Google after uploading everything to Drive over the last decade or so. What a pain in the rear end managing this all is, and I'm a computer toucher. Can't imagine just regular people dealing with this poo poo. I'd rather not put all of my eggs in one basket and have it just in the open for Google or anyone's cloud service without it being self-encrypted or some sort of E2E encryption. So now I've got two hard drives, a flash drive, and I'm going to have an offsite backup of it somewhere soon I hope.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Buff Hardback posted:

Eh, I'm of the opinion that if Apple or Google were to implode overnight, we'd have significantly bigger fish to fry than family photos.

You're right, but you're also one one car accident that destroys your mobile phone and gives you memory issues away from losing access to a lot of accounts. I think the idea of shared account custody is going to become a thing, where you can get two of your friends together to unlock an account you locked yourself out of, with a time delay and a notification to the account holder that it's happening.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

I need to help my husband secure his class's seemingly extra-long Chromebook cords. They came with bad Velcro straps and aren't holding. What's the best option to secure them better. I think zip ties wouldn't be optimal, as I can see him needing to undo them too often. Anyone have suggestions?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Better velcro ties would do the job most likely. Or those rubber ones that Dell used to put on their laptop chargers.

https://siliconegear.com/pages/cable-ties

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
how to tell them you’re not helping them without telling them you’re not helping them

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Thanks Ants posted:

You're right, but you're also one one car accident that destroys your mobile phone and gives you memory issues away from losing access to a lot of accounts. I think the idea of shared account custody is going to become a thing, where you can get two of your friends together to unlock an account you locked yourself out of, with a time delay and a notification to the account holder that it's happening.

google at least has a system for this, actually. you can set your account so that if it isn't access in X amount of time, Y happens(mine are all set to self destruct if I don't log in for 6 months), and you can designate someone who can't access it in an emergency, but I don't remember how to set that one up other than a straight delegation

or you can just leave your creds in a safe, and the keys/combo in your will

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Buff Hardback posted:

True! But Sears and Standard Oil at one time seemed invincible as well. Nothing lasts forever.

I have a nice S3 setup in AWS for family backups, that goes to a local machine once a month, and maybe like twice a year I put stuff on a USB drive. If all of those efforts fail then I give up.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

BaseballPCHiker posted:

True! But Sears and Standard Oil at one time seemed invincible as well. Nothing lasts forever.

I have a nice S3 setup in AWS for family backups, that goes to a local machine once a month, and maybe like twice a year I put stuff on a USB drive. If all of those efforts fail then I give up.

neither of those companies collapsed overnight either

google and apple will eventually go down, but we will have plenty of notice to download our poo poo

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Thanks Ants posted:

Obligatory IANAL but, at least when it comes to having stuff entered into evidence/subpoena'd you (generally) just have to supply the media and it's up to whomever is after it to be able to read it.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

MF_James posted:

Obligatory IANAL but, at least when it comes to having stuff entered into evidence/subpoena'd you (generally) just have to supply the media and it's up to whomever is after it to be able to read it.

if this is an issue you should be destroying the data long before concerns about longevity of the data are concerns, unless you are legally required to keep them. and then you should destroy them the moment you are legally allowed to.

not sure here, but I have a hunch that if you are subpoenaed and are legally obligated to keep the records, you are gonna get slapped for making them inaccessible too.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

RFC2324 posted:

if this is an issue you should be destroying the data long before concerns about longevity of the data are concerns, unless you are legally required to keep them. and then you should destroy them the moment you are legally allowed to.

This is SOP for most organisations I’ve ever worked for.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Digital data retention. What a laughable and sensible concept.

See, at my job, we have a hard copy of every document. Every contract, every piece of engineering, sales order, packing slip, invoice, every Post-It with a message from a customer goes into their folder. Or, if it's not for a customer, into the relevant folder. At the end of the year, these all get boxed up and put in the records room with "DESTROY 01/(YYYY+7)" on them.

And then every year, when we're expecting rain early in the year, we huck all of the to-destroy records in the dumpster and leave the lid open to let the rain do its thing. And even this is relatively new. Only in 2019 did we finally get rid of the customer records on 4x6 index cards from the '80s and '90s.

Mind you, the company network drive has data back to 2001 on it. Not secured. I can literally go through poo poo from 20 years ago.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

D34THROW posted:

And then every year, when we're expecting rain early in the year, we huck all of the to-destroy records in the dumpster and leave the lid open to let the rain do its thing. And even this is relatively new. Only in 2019 did we finally get rid of the customer records on 4x6 index cards from the '80s and '90s.

They just put all that information out in the open where anyone can get it? And hope that the rain will destroy it enough to make all that information illegible?

Please tell me this is a satirical post.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Bargearse posted:

This is SOP for most organisations I’ve ever worked for.

Yeah. I was curious if my company does it, and then I noticed Outlook isn't allowing me to make a pst and I don't have email older than 6 months.

So i quietly changed my laptop backup settings to support purging logs and stuff out once they hit 6months so security doesn't slap me lol

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

RFC2324 posted:

not sure here, but I have a hunch that if you are subpoenaed and are legally obligated to keep the records, you are gonna get slapped for making them inaccessible too.

nah. You don't have to be IT support for the other legal party. You do have to provide unencrypted or give keys.

"How do I open autocad from the 90s" isn't a question that should come up, but if it did you hire an expert/vendor to get them open.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

nah. You don't have to be IT support for the other legal party. You do have to provide unencrypted or give keys.

"How do I open autocad from the 90s" isn't a question that should come up, but if it did you hire an expert/vendor to get them open.

Yeah, thats what I meant. The post i replied to seemed to be saying that you can just turn over encrypted data with no keys and be like "your problem now suckers"

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

ConfusedUs posted:

They just put all that information out in the open where anyone can get it? And hope that the rain will destroy it enough to make all that information illegible?

Please tell me this is a satirical post.

Take a look at my post history in BFC and SH/SC, particularly in regards to this absolute clusterfuck of an organization, then try again. :sigh:

The only thing that ever got shredded was the CC authorization form when a job was finished. Maybe. Hopefully.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

D34THROW posted:

Take a look at my post history in BFC and SH/SC, particularly in regards to this absolute clusterfuck of an organization, then try again. :sigh:

The only thing that ever got shredded was the CC authorization form when a job was finished. Maybe. Hopefully.

https://i.imgur.com/NXfYy1V.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

D34THROW posted:

Digital data retention. What a laughable and sensible concept.

See, at my job, we have a hard copy of every document. Every contract, every piece of engineering, sales order, packing slip, invoice, every Post-It with a message from a customer goes into their folder. Or, if it's not for a customer, into the relevant folder. At the end of the year, these all get boxed up and put in the records room with "DESTROY 01/(YYYY+7)" on them.

Mind you, the company network drive has data back to 2001 on it. Not secured. I can literally go through poo poo from 20 years ago.

Would you like to see our room of paper records going back to the 90's?

:ghost: