Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Part 6’s ending sucks and you have to crowbar your own interpretations into it to try and make it suck less. At least Part 5 ends with Gold Experience Requiem and the rad shot of Boss Giornio

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

RevolverDivider posted:

Part 6’s ending sucks and you have to crowbar your own interpretations into it to try and make it suck less. At least Part 5 ends with Gold Experience Requiem and the rad shot of Boss Giornio

Baby brain

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I can't find myself enthused about Part 5 ending with Gold Experience developing another new ability.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
I like the ending to Part 6 a lot.

I feel the opposite for Part 5's.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I can't find myself enthused about Part 5 ending with Gold Experience developing another new ability.

I can at least kind of see a logic in the development of it. I think if Araki'd been more restrained with GE and focused more on its ability to reflect physical damage/harmful intentions, it might have made more sense for the Requiem development to be "now it can reflect stand abilities too, hope your stand ability doesn't do weird things with spacetime or you might be ultra-hosed lol"

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Isn't the last arc of Stone Ocean a quest to kill a baby?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
The part 6 ending is good and if you don't agree gently caress you!!!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

How can you call yourself ZenMasterBullshit when you're spitting the ZenMasterTruth???

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I'm holding out hope that seeing it animated will change how I feel about the part 6 ending

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

RevolverDivider posted:

At least Part 5 ends with Gold Experience Requiem and the rad shot of Boss Giornio
In a franchise that prides itself in having fights be won through trickery, bluffs, mind games, and thinking five steps ahead of your opponent, ending a fight by haviing a Stand gain the ability to go "Nuh-uh, you didn't hit me. In fact, you also die forever!" is pretty lackluster.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

RevolverDivider posted:

Big brain

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

No

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I'm holding out hope that seeing it animated will change how I feel about the part 6 ending

part 5 ending was improved by being animated but the GER resolution is still a wet turd so I wouldn't expect the ending to feel different to you

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think Jolyne turning into butterflies will look cool animated.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Jolyne turning her body into a Möbius strip will look cool animated. Or setting herself on fire or the Westwood fight lots of stuff to look forward to

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Pucci's stupid head exploding will look cool animated.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

stone ocean will look cool animated

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
The actual ending of Part 5 is Sleeping Slaves which is good

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

TheLoneStar posted:

In a franchise that prides itself in having fights be won through trickery, bluffs, mind games, and thinking five steps ahead of your opponent, ending a fight by haviing a Stand gain the ability to go "Nuh-uh, you didn't hit me. In fact, you also die forever!" is pretty lackluster.

It's not only that, but the fact that there's never really a Stand that counters Gold Experience's abilities aside from White Album making things too cold to manipulate life. Otherwise, Gold Experience's bullshit is broad enough that it can always win in whatever situation Giorno is in.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

It was pretty weird to have part 5 end with 2 people dying and then cutting to them being alive again and loving around. I'm not a huge fan of them being destined to die either. I don't mind the arc but it feels oddly timed in the story as a whole.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Brandfarlig posted:

It was pretty weird to have part 5 end with 2 people dying and then cutting to them being alive again and loving around. I'm not a huge fan of them being destined to die either. I don't mind the arc but it feels oddly timed in the story as a whole.

Yeah agreed. It didn't really add anything imo and it kinda messed with whatever feeling of closure and resolution it did manage to have.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah Rolling Stone is bizarre and kills any flow the ending has

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Rolling Stone ties the whole thing together and goes aways toward not making the whole journey feel like it was all to benefit Giorno. Things were always destined to go this way, because these are the people they are. Mista was of course goin to jump w the stone to do what he thought would save Bruno, and Bruno was always going to along w Giorno's insane idea. Their meeting dooms Narancia ad Abbachio, but only by virtue of the fact they were literally ride or die for their bro, and it's by being the people they are(Trish and Polnareff included) and making the choices and sacrifices they do that sees them thru the long road to changing the world.

Pootybutt fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Dec 8, 2021

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

and then the world gets reset

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Re-reading the Planet Waves/Survivor arc. Holy poo poo, this fight is brutal. :dogstare:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Aurora posted:

and then the world gets reset

The things you liked still happened

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

The things you liked still happened

i'm pretty sure that was not what the reset meant

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yeah, I'm so glad the anime pauses where it did, because we're going straight back into Limp Bizkit/Survivor/Planet Waves, which is a drat brutal stretch of fights.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

either the events of the series happened and they didn't actually escape their fate and died horribly to give birth to a new universe with their 'souls' or the things that happened didn't happen and they escaped their fate of having to fight weird stand battles, there's no 'both'

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
You are choosing to interpret the story as not having any meaning and then getting upset that you don't think the story has any meaning.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Having characters you like rewritten to be some douche with no powers doesn't make me like them more. Sure, their average life I know nothing about might've been better than losing friends and family to supernatural bullshit but that's not why I like them.

I reject fate as a explanation because fate means Arakis writing. Pucci could've been less bullshit and the story would be less bleak for it.

Brandfarlig fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Dec 8, 2021

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

What I got from the ending was that Stone Ocean cast escaped their fate, not the entire cast of every single part. We don’t even know that Irene etc don’t have any powers or not, either.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Aurora posted:

either the events of the series happened and they didn't actually escape their fate and died horribly to give birth to a new universe with their 'souls' or the things that happened didn't happen and they escaped their fate of having to fight weird stand battles, there's no 'both'

Do not focus solely on the result. You read it, you remember reading it, and you enjoyed it, so it still carries weight and meaning.

None of us will be here a million years but our experiences are still ours. A new world may exist in a trillion years. A trillion years ago there may have been another world. We still have our memories and moments and relationships of the here and now and the existence of time and worlds too far from our own to comprehend don't mean that the ones we live are less important to us.

Remember the adventure. The ending arrives eventually but we will always have the adventure.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Aurora posted:

They happened in your heart and the memories will always be with you.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

I'll remember the parts of the story Araki doesn't mess up, sure.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Long as you interpret the new universe w old souls as a place where things are basically the same save for the presence of DIO and his endless armies of jagoffs then essentially it IS both.

I took it all as a nifty, bittersweet expression of Araki's feelings as JoJo as a whole, and freeing his stories to dovetail into all kinds of new directions and do whatever the hell he feels like. Fans famously weren't sure whether early SBR would be directly related to JoJo or not. Got lots of next level art out of it, too.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
This panel is the litmus test

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Anyway I like Sleeping Slaves and what it's going for even if I think it doesn't work all too well as an ending and definitely doesn't really do anything to add to how the King Crimson fight just kinda blows.

I guess I feel the same way about Part 6. I like the whole vibe of how even as weird reincarnations that have no history with eachother and are seemingly distinct people the strange force of 'Gravity' still pushes the gang together against all odds, but Made in Heaven is still a bad fight and "escaping the curse of the Joestar legacy" doesn't land for me because for the most part the Jojos all seem pretty alright with the poo poo they get up to and Irene not having a birthmark or great destiny doesn't really feel like a huge relief or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I like that Sleeping Slaves ends the story end on such a strange and somber note - I've always loved that kind of epilogue. Throughout the story characters are given the chance to take the easy path - to turn down your head and keep working under the boss, to accept your place, to accept a peaceful life and death. But they step off of the path and take the harder road to fight against fate, and while it earns them misery and an even more violent death in the end, fate is still unarguably changed. Mista's victory against Rolling Stone ultimately resulted in the deaths of Narancia and Abbachio, but the delay to Bruno's death also earned the life of Trish and all the others Diavalo would've killed in his homicidal paranoia (and all those kids on drugs, I suppose).

Honestly though, Gyro's entire arc is an even better take on those themes. Part 7 is amazing. It's hard to talk about what 5 does right without the afterthought of "...okay but 7 also did that, and better".