Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Im still not sure where people are getting that Dio wasn’t reborn in the new universe. Like… yeah it’s certainly possible, but we only know that the main Stone Ocean cast (minus FF) are reborn as people living seemingly peaceful lives no longer bound to their fate, and that Pucci, as Made in Heaven’s user, was not reborn in this universe. Is this another Araki Said thing or am I missing something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I am convinced 95% of the complaints about 6's ending would vanish if nu Jolyne wasn't hooked up with nu Annasui. And also if F.F. existed somehow.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Anyway I like Sleeping Slaves and what it's going for even if I think it doesn't work all too well as an ending and definitely doesn't really do anything to add to how the King Crimson fight just kinda blows.

It'd help if they actually fought King Crimson. Bruno and Risotto going up against Diavolo owns but the final feels like Araki wanted to do a soul swap thing and didn't know where else to put it.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Pigbuster posted:

I am convinced 95% of the complaints about 6's ending would vanish if nu Jolyne wasn't hooked up with nu Annasui. And also if F.F. existed somehow.

F.F. is at home in Irene's Miami Dolphins football-shaped aquarium, moisturized and thriving. In their own thousands of lanes.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Irene not having a birthmark or great destiny doesn't really feel like a huge relief or whatever.

She does have the Joestar birthmark so it's entirely possible that her bizarre adventure starts when the group meets Jotaro

Pigbuster posted:

FF had a unique soul so she was probably reborn as Atroe with the Foo Fighters Stand

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Dec 8, 2021

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

F.F is technically countless tiny organisms so in theory she could have been reborn as the population of a small country

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Aurora posted:

either the events of the series happened and they didn't actually escape their fate and died horribly to give birth to a new universe with their 'souls' or the things that happened didn't happen and they escaped their fate of having to fight weird stand battles, there's no 'both'

none of it happened because this is a fictional story, cartoons are for babies, go outside and ride a skateboard

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Schwarzwald posted:

You are choosing to interpret the story as not having any meaning and then getting upset that you don't think the story has any meaning.

Not really

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Augus posted:

none of it happened because this is a fictional story, cartoons are for babies, go outside and ride a skateboard

you're right. gently caress.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Pigbuster posted:

That's just a problem with Annasui being a lovely character, which is one of the weakest parts of Part 6.

The problem with the Part 6 ending is Jolyne is the best Jojo and gets the worst closure to her story. If Part 1 had just ended with Johnathan dying and blowing up I wouldn't have been happy with that, either, but the story goes on in interesting ways to build off of that tragic sacrifice. Jolyne just gets loving run over and no one's ever going to be able to sell that to me as the best character of the part having good closure from my perspective. The barely comprehendible/highly speculation laden universe reset stuff is just the poo poo icing on the dumpster cake.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Two Tone Shoes posted:

The problem with the Part 6 ending is Jolyne is the best Jojo and gets the worst closure to her story.

Hard disagree.

Jolyne gets my favorite conclusion to a JoJo arc. In true Bizarre fashion, she gets both an epic death AND a happily ever after. It’s thoroughly satisfying.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Pucci's backstory makes me feel bad for him. It doesn't absolve him for all of the bullshit that he does afterwards, but still. :smith:

FirstAidKite posted:

This panel is the litmus test

"He would later die of a cold."

At least he got freed, but :negative:

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

He got the cold in Stalingrad fighting the communists.

So don’t feel too bad.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Hard disagree.

Jolyne gets my favorite conclusion to a JoJo arc. In true Bizarre fashion, she gets both an epic death AND a happily ever after. It’s thoroughly satisfying.

She also gets thru her whole story without getting/needing a crazy powerup.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

so does josuke

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Hard disagree.

I mean I guess Irene gets a...happy? ending, whoever the gently caress she is. Unless Anasui ends up wanting to murder his girlfriend all over again, keeping true to the character.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Two Tone Shoes posted:

I mean I guess Irene gets a...happy? ending, whoever the gently caress she is. Unless Anasui ends up wanting to murder his girlfriend all over again, keeping true to the character.

Irene is Jolyne without the Jo- meaning she never had to deal with a life of crazy prison/priest bullshit, which in the context of the story is a happy ending.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

would holly's stand have been more like joseph's or jolyne's

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Pigbuster posted:

Not true, but I would be happier if that was the case. My interpretation is that "fate" is the author's intent, and by breaking it the heroes live free within our own imagination, and not any sort of canon. If that's the case, Annasui is a useless addition, and if not, I feel like there should've been a few more pages.

Still, I dunno how you can read that whole part and have a takeaway of "No, that's bullshit, nothing matters, everyone dead, nothing happened"

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Vookatos posted:

Still, I dunno how you can read that whole part and have a takeaway of "No, that's bullshit, nothing matters, everyone dead, nothing happened"

because that's what happened OP

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

STONE COLD 64 posted:

would holly's stand have been more like joseph's or jolyne's

I like the latter more, Jolynes except she turns herself into vines.

Holly being one of the Crusaders instead of Jotaro was always one of my favourite AU concepts for the series.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Part 6 ftw

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Saagonsa posted:

Part 6 ftw

Agreed

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Something about Pucci's Heaven that I thought was interesting was that while everyone's intended to move on a set path the fact that Pucci can change fate means that if he interacts with anyone he could potentially set off a chain reaction that unravels everything if he breaks the script too much

Let's use Jotarou and Jolene as examples

So they're going through a version of a scene from early in the part that been rewritten (refated?) to not have Whitesnake because Pucci's doing something else. If events have to sort of follow the original timeline then Johngalli A.'s replacement is probably going to try to shoot Jotarou when he leaves

But it's not gonna happen that way because Pucci runs in from offset and stops everything. For the first time in their lives Jotarou and Jolene don't have a fated path to follow, which has got to be one hell of a shock for the three minutes before Pucci dies and they're erased

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Pucci's backstory makes me feel bad for him. It doesn't absolve him for all of the bullshit that he does afterwards, but still. :smith:

It never specifies how much later, maybe he died in his 90s. The point being, yeah of course he'll eventually die, everyone does, but it's still nice he got free and given a little bit longer to enjoy life.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Nephthys posted:

Holly being one of the Crusaders instead of Jotaro was always one of my favourite AU concepts for the series.

I really like the doujin where Dio never learns what the stone mask actually does so he uses it on Jonathan.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I like how Pucci's life is hosed over by tragic awful coincidences, but given the chance to recreate the universe he never considers changing those events.

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011

Asterite34 posted:

It never specifies how much later, maybe he died in his 90s. The point being, yeah of course he'll eventually die, everyone does, but it's still nice he got free and given a little bit longer to enjoy life.

I remember there being a translation that states it was like 3 days later which struck me as needlessly cruel.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Part 7 anime will introduce anime only viewers to Sandman, and people are going to wonder how satisfying his arc will end up.

I’d also want to see Part 7 Stand name changes

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

bobjr posted:

Part 7 anime will introduce anime only viewers to Sandy Man, and people are going to wonder how satisfying his arc will end up.

I’d also want to see Part 7 Stand name changes

FTFY

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

My favorite detail about Sandman is that he's introduced with sand powers, only to be like "Haha, why would you call me Sandman when my name is Soundman?".

And then everyone still calls him Sandman after the fact anyway.

rko
Jul 12, 2017
Honestly, does Araki ever get such a great run of stand battles as Part 6-7? I was looking over the plot synopsis after the first Stone Ocean cour was so good, and I can think of maybe like, a half-dozen total marginal stands in this entire run.

And to be honest, I was sour on Part 6 initially, but I’ve ultimately been swayed to the point that it’s deliberately open-ended enough that the ending’s bittersweet-but-hopeful tone and very definite chapter title won me over. It helps that it’s one of Araki’s most tightly paced and dramatically satisfying arcs, with a sort of return to the Joestar High Drama And Tragedy that he’s kept up in the years since.

All that said, I will be incredibly lovely if they don’t secure the rights to “What a Wonderful World.” What an obvious thing to do. How easy it is to make that decision. Just pay the money. Give us the song. I want to cry with Emporio.

(then immediately start animating Part 7)

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Irene is Jolyne without the Jo- meaning she never had to deal with a life of crazy prison/priest bullshit, which in the context of the story is a happy ending.

Sounds like a totally different person to me since that's literally the entirety of Stone Ocean and Jolyne, the character, that I like.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Sounds like a totally different person to me since that's literally the entirety of Stone Ocean and Jolyne, the character, that I like.

yeah like I said I think the big dividing line between the ending likers vs not is how one considers someone to be the same "self." I believe that someone's experiences are more of a person's identity than their physical composition or genetics or resemblance, so to me Irene is a completely different person who I don't care about, and the Jolyne that we knew and rooted for through the entire part is dead and gone. Sure, we the readers got to experience an awesome adventure and journey the whole way, and from the perspective of "did I read a cool story" it's fine, but from the perspective of "what happens to these characters I cared about and empathized with as they struggled for their lives" then the answer is "here's some strangers wearing their faces instead, happy end~*"

If you feel differently about what makes a person themselves then all of the above may read like nonsense, and cool whatever, I'm not trying to debate anyone's philosophical sense of identity, just clarify why I don't like the ending the way it is.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I'm fine with the ending and don't consider Irene to be Jolyne at all, Jolyne died saving the universe from being under Pucci's control. It's basically like how Jonathan died at the end of part 1 saving everyone from being killed by Dio, just without part 3 continuing it.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
It's like someone time traveling to make a happier future that they don't get to be in because time travel creates alternate universes or whatever. Even if they die doing it they still succeeded and created a good ending for someone else, being upset that they died and "someone wearing their face" had a good life because of it is uh kinda missing the point, sometimes you can't save the world you're in so you save somebody else's. If alt universe Jolyne was still named Jolyne would that make you feel better?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Xad posted:

If alt universe Jolyne was still named Jolyne would that make you feel better?

I think if you read my post it's pretty clear that the name wouldn't make a difference.

Also if you're going around saying people who don't feel the same way as you about the ending are "missing the point" then you're missing the point. People can (and do) grok the same things you do and come to different conclusions.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

My part 6 take is jolyne should have married me instead of annasui

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Re-reading Jail House Lock, that ability still scares me. Memory things always freak me out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Brandfarlig posted:

It'd help if they actually fought King Crimson. Bruno and Risotto going up against Diavolo owns but the final feels like Araki wanted to do a soul swap thing and didn't know where else to put it.

I guess he could not think of a way for them to beat King Crimson. It's stronger then the World, and basically unbeatable thanks to the Pre Cognition it has.