Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

RC Cola posted:

Balefire is my best friend y'all. I love Balefire

It gets poo poo done.

Actually didn't Rand balefire the darkhounds that spit on Mat and that returned time and basically saved him also?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Yes, but it didn't actually kill him so that doesn't count as one of his deaths. He just went from "fatal darkhound poisoning" to "red mark on hand".

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Khizan posted:

Yes, but it didn't actually kill him so that doesn't count as one of his deaths. He just went from "fatal darkhound poisoning" to "red mark on hand".

What other red hands do we know of associated with him???

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

darkhounds were one of the few things where the actually recommend solution was balefire

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

we never saw what happens if you anti-balefire darkhounds do you? would they turn back into wolves?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Gnoman posted:

Sanderson's said that he believed this was the case until Jordan told him directly that he was wrong.

I uhhh... was under the impression that Sanderson never actually met RJ, and that the first he heard that he'd be continuing the series was when Harriet called him up and said RJ had thought he'd be a good candidate (or maybe he was entirely her idea).

Or did they talk sometime prior to that going down, when it was just a fan-author or collegial dialogue thing?

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Data Graham posted:

I uhhh... was under the impression that Sanderson never actually met RJ, and that the first he heard that he'd be continuing the series was when Harriet called him up and said RJ had thought he'd be a good candidate (or maybe he was entirely her idea).

Or did they talk sometime prior to that going down, when it was just a fan-author or collegial dialogue thing?

The reason Sanderson can crank out so many books is because RoJo's horny old ghost won't leave him alone except when he's writing

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Seems like the obvious solution to someone going hog wild with balefiring is to just balefire them as hard as possible.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Data Graham posted:

No, they meant Team Jordan.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Data Graham posted:

According to Sanderson they never met and Harriet asked to meet him based on a eulogy he wrote for Jordan that he'd posted online.

That's the tldr version anyway, there are several YouTube clips where Sanderson goes into the full details of how he ended up writing the last three books.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

we never saw what happens if you anti-balefire darkhounds do you? would they turn back into wolves?

FWIW my guess was that darkhounds, Shadowbrothers, are created with wolf souls that were doublekilled out of Tel'aran'rhiod, and that killing them restores them to the proper cycle of rebirth.

e:

Also, a lot of shadowspawn/blight/etc behavior seems to carry with them a lot of T'A'R or similar kind of dream logic. How would you even magic together a creature that T-1000s itself?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Dec 9, 2021

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Time to post this again.

https://i.imgur.com/K2HxLhs.mp4

Justaddwater
Jul 4, 2006

Data Graham posted:

Sanderson talks about how got chosen in this video. Looks like it was Harriets idea after reading his eulogy for RJ.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MITTIur3Ytk

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Rarity posted:

Shadow Rising
Memory of Light
The Gathering Storm
Fires of Heaven
Towers of Midnight
The Dragon Reborn
Lord of Chaos
Winter's Heart
Knife of Dreams
The Great Hunt
A Crown of Swords
Eye of the World
Path of Daggers
Crossroads at Twilight

Oooh are we doing this again?

Lord of Chaos
The shadow rising
A crown of swords
Knife of dreams
Fires of Heaven
Path of daggers
Winter’s Heart
Eye of the World
Crossroads of twilight
The dragon reborn
The great hunt
A memory of light
Towers of midnight
The gathering storm

Fite me

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
So in my reread, I'm at Winter's Heart and when Tylin returns early she says it's because Suroth heard about an entire army vanishing in Murandy.

Was that the army Rand blasted with Callandor? I'm not sure those timelines (or locations) match up, but I can't think of any other on screen battles that would account for it

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

The Lord Bude posted:

Oooh are we doing this again?

Lord of Chaos
The shadow rising
A crown of swords
Knife of dreams
Fires of Heaven
Path of daggers
Winter’s Heart
Eye of the World
Crossroads of twilight
The dragon reborn
The great hunt
A memory of light
Towers of midnight
The gathering storm

Fite me

Big book of art

Everything else

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

shrike82 posted:

I don’t think Sanderson’s a good writer - it’s more obvious when you read his series. I would have preferred it if RJ had written the final few books but I guess what we got was competent? I don’t really think we were in any real danger of a GRRM situation

we came within a hairs' breadth of a literal GRRM situation, he was Harriet's initial first choice to finish the series but she decided against asking him because she thought his fans would riot.

Rarity posted:

Jordan's style was insanely verbose, the reason the Slog is such a slog is cause he spends paragraphs descibing fine details on how women are doing laundry and poo poo like that. Sanderson dumped that poo poo and made the last 3 books much smoother reads

the verbosity is a big part of why I love Jordan's books so much, and why I like the later books in the series so much, I love being immersed in this massive world with tons of characters and all the detail in the setting. I like all the little moments like people musing over tea and fashions.

Sanderson's work felt like reading some kid's book report on the last 3 books instead of the books themselves, entirely apart from oddities like mat being a totally different character and androl and the rules lawyering d&d approach to combat and channelling.

Pleads posted:

My counter-argument is that the verbosity is way better for the audiobooks, because Sanderson's exchanges sound absolutely miserable when read aloud.

"This," he said.
"No, that." she said.
"I agree." Elayne said.
"I already said that," he said.

I mean I'm assuming it's a Sanderson thing, because it only starts appearing in the last 3 books. Jordan's style wrapped dialogue in a way that flows nicely in the reading while Sanderson's just lays it all out.

Oh this too, absolutely. Sanderson loves massive passages of dialogue back and forths and it reads like a 10 year old writing a story. Jordan had much less direct dialogue and it was always interspersed with internal monologue. There is an excellent entry in Neuxue's readthrough blog where she addresses this directly and rewrites a passage from I think either TGS or TOM in the way she thought Jordan might have written it and it's so much better.

silvergoose posted:

What other red hands do we know of associated with him???

Nynaeve likely got a red hand more than once from all the times she had to spank him as a kid.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

withak posted:

Seems like the obvious solution to someone going hog wild with balefiring is to just balefire them as hard as possible.

If it were me and I saw any tearing of the fabric of reality due to balefire, I would simply balefire the tears in reality so they wouldn't have happened

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

man, GRRM being tasked to finish WOT and failing to make headway on that too would have been nuts

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

The Lord Bude posted:

we came within a hairs' breadth of a literal GRRM situation, he was Harriet's initial first choice to finish the series

ahaha

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

GRRM would have just said no, right?

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Sinteres posted:

GRRM would have just said no, right?

He wouldn't have hesitated at the chance to lovingly describe a Tairen swamp.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I've always wondered if the back half lull happened in WoT because Jordan just naturally got bogged down with all the balls he was juggling (speaking of GRRM) and had a harder time cutting through to the important bits, or if it was a deliberate choice to keep printing money and Tor either agreed or didn't disagree enough to make an issue over it. The real answer's probably a little bit of each, but when I was younger I pretty much flat out assumed it was the second reason. GRRM completely failing to write anything in a decade has made me more sympathetic to the idea that writing epic series is really hard though (even if he's obviously distracted by other poo poo too). I still think the books got a little too caught up in every lord being a cynical schemer who wasn't just trying to position themselves for the day after the Last Battle but didn't give a poo poo if their scheming blew everything up before the Last Battle either.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

From what I've read regarding the structure and length: RJ's initial pitch was for 3 books, Tom Doherty said: I'll take 6.

AMOL was supposed to be one book but ended up being 3.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Data Graham posted:

He might have been referring to Jordan's notes.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Gnoman posted:

He might have been referring to Jordan's notes.

Sanderson never met RJ. He saw him from a distance at a convention once but was too awed/scared to approach him, then he passed away. Sanderson wrote a eulogy type thing on his blog and somebody showed it to Harriet. Harriet called Tom Doherty the head of TOR and said: hey what do you know of this young author? Send me something of his, so Doherty sent her Mistborn and she read it. She liked it then called Brandon and that was that.

RJ did not want to choose someone himself to finish the series because it felt like confronting his own mortality, admitting he was gonna die. Jordan had extensive notes and materials regarding AMOL and the entire world plus his assistant Maria is like a walking WOT encyclopedia too.

Hexel fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Dec 9, 2021

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The Lord Bude posted:

the verbosity is a big part of why I love Jordan's books so much, and why I like the later books in the series so much, I love being immersed in this massive world with tons of characters and all the detail in the setting. I like all the little moments like people musing over tea and fashions.

Sanderson's work felt like reading some kid's book report on the last 3 books instead of the books themselves, entirely apart from oddities like mat being a totally different character and androl and the rules lawyering d&d approach to combat and channelling.

Oh this too, absolutely. Sanderson loves massive passages of dialogue back and forths and it reads like a 10 year old writing a story. Jordan had much less direct dialogue and it was always interspersed with internal monologue. There is an excellent entry in Neuxue's readthrough blog where she addresses this directly and rewrites a passage from I think either TGS or TOM in the way she thought Jordan might have written it and it's so much better.

The issue I always had with this style of Jordan's was that you'd get these pages of pages of internal monologue in massive unbroken blocks with no cues to reorient yourself as to the speaker. Many times I'd find myself like six paragraphs into some monolithic wall-of-text of someone thinking about someone else's plans or grumbling about their motivations or whatever, and I'd have to flip back like a page or two to figure out who the hell was talking.

I can't even imagine how that would work in an audiobook. I'd be hitting that -15s button so much I'd wear it out somehow

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Data Graham posted:

I can't even imagine how that would work in an audiobook. I'd be hitting that -15s button so much I'd wear it out somehow

It's honestly easier to track who is saying what in most audiobooks because the narrator generally uses a different voice for each character. With a lot of the audiobooks I have you could clip out a short phrase like "thank you" with no context whatsoever and I could tell you which character said it just based on the voice.

Edit: Upon rereading your post you were talking about internal monologue and not dialogue. Oops.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Less than 12 hours until the next episode drops awoooooo can't wait!

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Sinteres posted:

I've always wondered if the back half lull happened in WoT because Jordan just naturally got bogged down with all the balls he was juggling (speaking of GRRM) and had a harder time cutting through to the important bits, or if it was a deliberate choice to keep printing money and Tor either agreed or didn't disagree enough to make an issue over it. The real answer's probably a little bit of each, but when I was younger I pretty much flat out assumed it was the second reason. GRRM completely failing to write anything in a decade has made me more sympathetic to the idea that writing epic series is really hard though (even if he's obviously distracted by other poo poo too). I still think the books got a little too caught up in every lord being a cynical schemer who wasn't just trying to position themselves for the day after the Last Battle but didn't give a poo poo if their scheming blew everything up before the Last Battle either.

Wasn't there a theory that Jordan was padding out the middle because Harriet was having health issues at the time?

Calenth
Jul 11, 2001

Sinteres posted:

It was that he got bogged down (and maybe a little bored with the main storyline). Or at least that's my take, anyway. There's a few reasons I think this:

1) Anyone who talked to him in that time period and asked him about it, he'd talk about how he had more ideas for books than he had time to write them, and then he'd start talking about how he wanted to write the Mat/Tuon "outrigger" novels etc. He didn't need to pad things out; at that point he was printing money regardless and he had plenty of ideas for other things to write. "I feel like padding this out" doesn't fit, but maybe "I'd rather write a bit about Morgase than do another Elayne chapter right now" might fit better. I don't think it was deliberate padding but it might have been distraction.

2) Pretty much every book in the whole series has a basic structure of "things happen at the beginning" "kinda boring middle that sets up the end" "big dramatic ending." It makes sense that the series as a whole would have that same structure also. Good books to kick things off, some relatively humdrum books in the middle to get all the pieces in place for the ending, big cataclysmic ending with fireworks.

There are some other things that may have played into it though. One big one was time pressure. He had The Great Hunt already written when Eye was published. After that it took him about a year or two to write each book, and over time he lost his lead, and during the slog there was sometimes as little as a month total time between "finished draft" and "books in stores." So I suspect the "slog" books just had less editing time.

DarkHorse posted:

Wasn't there a theory that Jordan was padding out the middle because Harriet was having health issues at the time?

This doesn't quite fit to my mind -- I really doubt medical bills as such were an issue -- but she *was* having health problems around that time so was probably less able to help with the editing. People make a lot of "lol his wife is his editor" jokes but Harriett is absurdly intelligent and very actively helped with the earlier books and with the last few.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Data Graham posted:

The issue I always had with this style of Jordan's was that you'd get these pages of pages of internal monologue in massive unbroken blocks with no cues to reorient yourself as to the speaker. Many times I'd find myself like six paragraphs into some monolithic wall-of-text of someone thinking about someone else's plans or grumbling about their motivations or whatever, and I'd have to flip back like a page or two to figure out who the hell was talking.

You couldn't keep track of which PoV you were in? How does that even happen? it's not like he skipped around constantly; Jordan almost never changed PoVs within the same chapter. Do you read books one paragraph at a time and then put them down for a week or something?

I've never listened to an audiobook but I could kinda see it if you were breaking the book up into chunks of a few mins at a time as you were driving or doing something that demanded part of your attention but I've never been into that, If I'm reading a book that's the only thing I'm focusing on.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Yeah, I just finished Eye and I can't think of a single time he head-hopped within a chapter.

In later books, he does occasionally...but there's always a clear break when the switch happens.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Even as "early" as Lord of Chaos there are chapters with 4 viewpoints in them, but it's never really quickly back and forth, for sure.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

You couldn't keep track of which PoV you were in? How does that even happen? it's not like he skipped around constantly; Jordan almost never changed PoVs within the same chapter. Do you read books one paragraph at a time and then put them down for a week or something?

I've never listened to an audiobook but I could kinda see it if you were breaking the book up into chunks of a few mins at a time as you were driving or doing something that demanded part of your attention but I've never been into that, If I'm reading a book that's the only thing I'm focusing on.

I think they mean "POV" as in which of the 2 characters participating in the conversation is actively talking for the given paragraph, not who "the main character of the chapter is". I definitely have this issue too.

And yea audiobooks for me for a series like this was a terrible idea because I'd tune out during those overly long passages describing skirts, spankings, or general "harrumph! men/women are so insufferable!" sentiments every single character spends pages monologueing about, then something important actually happens and I miss it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

E: ^^ Yeah, that

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Yeah I am the same, after a paragraph of description of teas and embroidery and social customs (all of which I enjoy!) and then see a bit of dialogue I may very well have forgotten which party is supposed to be the one speaking. And subtext is so incredibly important that misattributing a response from one person to the other can have huge implications

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Calenth posted:

There are some other things that may have played into it though. One big one was time pressure. He had The Great Hunt already written when Eye was published. After that it took him about a year or two to write each book, and over time he lost his lead, and during the slog there was sometimes as little as a month total time between "finished draft" and "books in stores." So I suspect the "slog" books just had less editing time.

One problem might be he habitually did not hand anything over to Harriet until his own 10th draft or more.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Sab669 posted:

I think they mean "POV" as in which of the 2 characters participating in the conversation is actively talking for the given paragraph, not who "the main character of the chapter is". I definitely have this issue too.

And yea audiobooks for me for a series like this was a terrible idea because I'd tune out during those overly long passages describing skirts, spankings, or general "harrumph! men/women are so insufferable!" sentiments every single character spends pages monologueing about, then something important actually happens and I miss it.

removing all those has made the show a tad faster paced

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coathat
May 21, 2007

ChubbyChecker posted:

removing all those has made the show a tad faster paced

Too bad they wasted all that saved time by spending half an episode on sad warder