Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

AppleNippleBOB posted:

Welcome, thank you for posting with us.

e: 18% what, I must've missed something.

Pingui posted:

:stare:

https://mg.co.za/coronavirus-essentials/2021-12-09-alarm-as-almost-20-of-south-africas-healthcare-workers-contract-covid/ posted:

Alarm as almost 20% of South Africa’s healthcare workers contract Covid

South Africa faces an Omicron-induced patient care crisis unless the current government policy of isolating Covid-19 infected healthcare workers for 10 days is rapidly changed.

This emerged yesterday from two of the country’s top Covid-19 experts, Richard Lessels, one of the infectious disease experts who discovered the Omicron variant, and leading vaccinologist, Shabir Madhi, dean of the Faculty of Health Sciences at the University of the Witwatersrand.

Victor Khanyile, the deputy director of human resources at the department of health, said there were 72 678 public sector healthcare workers infected as of 6 December, representing 18% of the entire public healthcare workforce — 403 443 clinical and support staff.
(..)

Fur tax edit:

Pingui fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Dec 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

Ice Phisherman posted:

Hopeioid crisis

:rubby:

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
https://twitter.com/10NewsFirst/status/1469055046792871938?t=O6x57Wm_W539ZftGK9wEdQ&s=19

just in time for omicron!

still, I'm selfishly glad WA kids may be able to get jabbed before borders drop

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Found my next fur con cosplay. The PAPR basically makes itself.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Kylaer posted:

Hello covrades. Long-time chud, first-time poster. I claim to be an anesthesiologist, although my fridge might beg to differ, and I've been in the trenches with covid. Not since day one, but not long thereafter - I have a PAPR selfie from March 18th of last year. My tally stands at 32 intubations specifically for covid, of which 21 died (and various other intubations of patients with covid, but not for covid. I don't track those). The overwhelming majority of those were last year, surprisingly enough covid has not gone hog wild in my vicinity since then. In the hospital where I work, covid is extremely, extremely over - most of the staff wear surgical masks with only a small minority wearing N95s or better, and they all drop them to drink coffee. I go outside in order to drop my respirator and drink, I take not one breath of unfiltered air within the hospital walls.

Yesterday I went up to the ICU and walked past a room with a ventilated patient, with covid precaution signs on the door, and the door was wide open. Extremely over.

I will say, working on dying covid patients does really drive home the fact that you can trust your respirator. I have no concern going to the grocery store, the gym, or any other public building, while wearing that level of protection, and I never wear anything less.

But, all that aside. 18%. 18%. 18%.

:rubby:

did the pot banging help at least

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
https://twitter.com/jimmytraina/status/1468981212169523211?s=21

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

When Denmark had just 10 ICU beds left this Monday, that was out of 310 total, which is down from 406 in February. 67 of them are currently used for COVID patients. Uhhhh...

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Sars Cov-3: the hopioid crisis

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

zone posted:

Sars Cov-3: the hopioid crisis

Zeriel
Nov 6, 2004

She probably talked about doing this to a lot of other people and none of them told her it was a loving dumb idea

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

facetoucher cat posted:

I would consider not having compassion for life a personality disorder

Look at you up on your high horse thinking maybe killing each other is wrong

jinx_player
Aug 25, 2018

I was at a wake today for my uncle who “died suddenly” according to the obit (Covid+pneumonia leading to a massive stroke over 2 weeks intubation)…the funeral had about 5% masks when I left…

Anyways, did I miss anything? Covid is over, yeah?

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

hi, im SARS-CoV-2, AMA

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
People aren't thinking of the marginalized communities like America where letting people die pointless, horrible deaths is just their culture and its really a colonial mindset to say anything negative about it.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

jinx_player posted:

I was at a wake today for my uncle who “died suddenly” according to the obit (Covid+pneumonia leading to a massive stroke over 2 weeks intubation)…the funeral had about 5% masks when I left…

Anyways, did I miss anything? Covid is over, yeah?

20% more I'm hearing

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
today is not a good day friends

my brain fog is so bad i can't do anything and i'm going back to bed four hours after i got up

can't concentrate on anything, no energy. end of term assignments are piling up and i can't even do the dishes.

take care of yourselves and have a good nap if you choose for me, cause mine isn't gonna be a good one

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

SplitSoul posted:

When Denmark had just 10 ICU beds left this Monday, that was out of 310 total, which is down from 406 in February. 67 of them are currently used for COVID patients. Uhhhh...

That sounds less than mild, maybe like a Fiesta ranch

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

SplitSoul posted:

Just-in-time logistics, but with emergency medical care

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Gio posted:

hi, im SARS-CoV-2, AMA

no IM sars-cov-2 *stands up*

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Pingui posted:

On behalf of your employer: thank you in advance for your sacrifice. o7

I follow the maxim "If it sucks, hit da bricks." Did my part in contributing to the healthcare worker shortage this summer by stepping down to part time, and I'll absolutely bail entirely if things get unacceptably bad. How bad would it need to get to be unacceptable? I'll probably find out soon enough :ohno:

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Gunshow Poophole posted:

no IM sars-cov-2 *stands up*

no really i am

ask me a question only covid would know

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

facetoucher cat posted:

I would consider not having compassion for life a personality disorder

I would consider it a survival strategy to not explode from stress and anxiety in our modern world. Desensitization is baked into the arteries of the machine we're all trapped in, from the death machines we drive every day to the cacophony of noise we're mired in everywhere we occupy.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Kylaer posted:

I follow the maxim "If it sucks, hit da bricks." Did my part in contributing to the healthcare worker shortage this summer by stepping down to part time, and I'll absolutely bail entirely if things get unacceptably bad. How bad would it need to get to be unacceptable? I'll probably find out soon enough :ohno:

owned

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Kylaer posted:

Shouldn't be long, then. Healthcare systems across the world will begin collapsing by january at the latest.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Gio posted:

hi, im SARS-CoV-2, AMA

hey, what's covid with you?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-x6qqNy0mo

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Gio posted:

no really i am

ask me a question only covid would know

would you politely leave the room while I'm eating? ty

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

zone posted:

Shouldn't be long, then. Healthcare systems across the world will begin collapsing by january at the latest.

Mildly collapse.

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

I would consider it a survival strategy to not explode from stress and anxiety in our modern world. Desensitization is baked into the arteries of the machine we're all trapped in, from the death machines we drive every day to the cacophony of noise we're mired in everywhere we occupy.

Inviting people to lunch when you're knowingly infected with covid is nothing short of psychopathic behavior

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Crazypoops posted:

would you politely leave the room while I'm eating? ty

i always respect when people are eating. as long as you mask up immediately after, i wont infect you. :)

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Gio posted:

i always respect when people are eating. as long as you mask up immediately after, i wont infect you. :)

Wow, cov is a pretty cool dude, what's everyone afraid of?

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

facetoucher cat posted:

Inviting people to lunch when you're knowingly infected with covid is nothing short of psychopathic behavior

Agreed.

Now brunch on the other hand...

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

zone posted:

The newer strain has 4x the transmission as Delta variant.

Things are going to be hosed in a month or two.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Vox Nihili posted:

Just-in-time logistics, but with emergency medical care

Thousands of nurses have quit so it's not surprising, but I hadn't expected it to be this dire. Also 310 ICU beds seems like few for a rapidly aging nation of 5.8m.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

facetoucher cat posted:

Sure assign whatever term you want to it, but that's much less interesting than trying to figure out the causes that lead people there.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

facetoucher cat posted:

She just heard that Omicron is a beneficial infection so she just wants to run out and share it with as many of her friends as possible :)

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

SplitSoul posted:

Thousands of nurses have quit so it's not surprising, but I hadn't expected it to be this dire. Also 310 ICU beds seems like few for a rapidly aging nation of 5.8m.

310 ICU beds for 5.8 million??

crack *ping*

zone
Dec 6, 2016

facetoucher cat posted:

the problem is we never had anything baked into our systems to disincentivize this kind of behavior. A few hundreds of years ago, we still exiled people or ran them out of towns, or tossed them into sanitariums. Now, these people get courted, along with other lunatics, by power-mongers looking to use them as a springboard into the halls of power.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

zone posted:

the problem is we never had anything baked into our systems to disincentivize this kind of behavior. A few hundreds of years ago, we still exiled people or ran them out of towns, or tossed them into sanitariums. Now, these people get courted, along with other lunatics, by power-mongers looking to use them as a springboard into the halls of power.

Are you saying that the historical usage of sanitariums is a net good for society?

Everything else there also does not really cohere with reports of how people behaved in previous plagues and pandemics. We've always been this shortsighted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1469111576418390018