Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

TLM3101 posted:

Well, in light of the Moiraine/Siuan relationship being made explicit, it only makes sense that Gareth/Thom are a couple.

the real reason he's fleeing morgase: she became jealous of the love gareth and thom shared

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi
Just logged on to check the forums, came here and thought "my word there has been a lot of WoT posting". Yes, I have forgotten its Friday ...off to Amazon now

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
i suspect they'll be combining the waygates and portal stones into one thing.

not particularly bothered about the plot changes (tho the mat-is-dragon stuff has gone too far imo), but the dialogue and characterisation is unforgivably bad at this point. it feels like a cw superhero show.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Aside from Liandrin the characterizations all seem pretty much the same as they are in the books? Care to elaborate?

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

So I've watched it twice and it is visually stunning. I suspect most folks who characterized it as their favorite are invested in Siuaraine, which is understandable. Not my bag but whatever. Mat's exorcism was cool. I suspect the oath rod is setting up a future twist.

Most folks hangups seem to be book assumptions and mechanics issues like omg how do waygates work and Shayol Ghul vs. The Eye of the World. All of which seem to be made non-issues almost immediately in future episodes. I believe we've got solid season 2 direction with the ships disappearing in the west and Aiel crossing the Spine :toot: The major thrust of the episode is establishing and raising stakes for Siuan, who (secretly) approves of Moiraine's efforts to find and support the DR. Moiraine gets protected by her exile but Siuan is vulnerable by necessity and even mentions she would be stilled if the Sitters find out their 20 year plot.

Hexel fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Dec 10, 2021

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I like how there's just enough of a pause in Moirane vs Liandrin for you to think "wow, Moirane's a really poo poo spy" before you realise that she's actually a drat good spy.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

I think this episode was probably the best yet for me, even after sleeping on it, but still not more than a B-grade. There were some clunky lines I didn't like, and the plot was... I think there was something that was bothering me last night but I can't remember it now so clearly it couldn't have have been that bad. The editing was weak, I thought- there are a lot of cuts from one scene of Moiraine talking to someone to another scene of Moiraine talking to someone in a way that felt jarring. I got the impression there was supposed to be some B-plot to buffer those that just got completely cut. Maybe something with the kids decompressing. You can really feel the missing three hours in this season. The lack of time is palpable. You can palpate it.

But overall a pretty strong character-focused episode, just the show's best actors all together in a room getting to act their hearts out. Rosamund Pike is perhaps called on to portray "quivering with barely-concealed emotion" just a hair too often but that's all I have to complain about there. Siuan gets the best introduction of any character yet and I loved it. BAM fisherman's daughter BAM Queen of the Earth BAM lover and confidant in a conspiracy to save the world.

Ending was weird but I'll withhold judgement for now.

Gonna rank the episodes so far 6 > 4 = 3 > 2 > 1 > 5.

e: Oh right, yeah, and we get confirmation this episode that the blues have a job that actually makes sense and isn't total nonsense now. So that's cool! The tower feeling more coherent as an organisation is nice. There's a small gripe I have with this which is like, if the blues are explicitly spies, and they go around wearing bright blue power dresses and rings that tell everyone exactly who they are, how do they ever get anything done? Any king welcoming a blue to his court is going to immediately be on his guard, even more than around regular Aes Sedai. But it's whatever really, I think the positive outweighs the bad here.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Dec 10, 2021

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Mat hesitating and then staying behind was strange but I think that can easily work if he has a compulsion to not leave the dagger behind and discovers that Fain has jacked it. Probably because of his RL casting issue whatever that was.

I mean why else has Fain been lurking around?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Oh, another thing I liked: all the Aes Sedai changing from their travelling power ranger outfits to their extra-special court formal power ranger outfits. :allears:

Like the outfits are already a little extra, but then they have these even more extra versions for hanging out in the tower. That was a nice touch.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Aside from Liandrin the characterizations all seem pretty much the same as they are in the books? Care to elaborate?

The main group was aged up from the wide-eyed teens they were in the book, don't even bat an eye to announcement one of them is the Dragon.
Mat became a brooding recidivist thief from a mere prankster, so the dagger effects are less contrast.
Rand is a coward for some reason, in the book he and Mat knock out the darkfriend coming after them, in the show a girl chases them all over the town.
Moiraine just causally leaves people to die couple times, so comes off as way more cold and calculating.
Lan is a giant softie compared to the books.
Thom became some kind of dull cowboy instead of flamboyant minstrel
Who even is close to the books characterization? Nynaeve and Loial perhaps

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Pyromancer posted:

in the show a girl chases them all over the town.

lol these are mostly bad takes but this one is both bad and gendered, nice

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

a woman holding a loving katana and sprinting after them like the terminator, at that

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Johnny Joestar posted:

a woman holding a loving katana and sprinting after them like the terminator, at that

Ah yes, a katana girl, way more dangerous than a trolloc twice her size and armed with a huge and poisoned cleaver. Wheel of time: The Anime.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

im yelling at the screen that rand should 'man up'

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

if i was a simple sheepherder i would simply judo chop the katana out of the hands of my attacker who is running right at me, as opposed to stabbing a monster in the back who isn't even looking at me

it would be easy

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

Johnny Joestar posted:

if i was a simple sheepherder i would simply judo chop the katana out of the hands of my attacker who is running right at me, as opposed to stabbing a monster in the back who isn't even looking at me

it would be easy

If only Rand could use his door-busting strength of three men to something other than busting doors, but no, he can't.
Because he is the Doorgone Reborn!

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Yeah if a crazy eyed psycho evil lady sprinted at me with a sword I'd put her in her place

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Pyromancer posted:

If only Rand could use his door-busting strength of three men to something other than busting doors, but no, he can't.
Because he is the Doorgone Reborn!

Regardless of whether you're full of poo poo, I laughed at this.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

if i was but a simple sheepherder with no idea of what i'm doing and frantically ramming a door with a power i don't know i have i would have simply instead turned around and snatched the katana away from the person pointing it at me with my bare hands, for she is but a woman and would not be trained in the deadly art of weaponry like i absolutely have

it would be easy, for me

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Episode was good. I love talk-heavy episodes where it’s just good actors bouncing dialogue back and forth. Moiraine and Siuane are great and I love that they made the (barely) subtext text. Honestly I just want more of everything.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Oh, another thing I liked: all the Aes Sedai changing from their travelling power ranger outfits to their extra-special court formal power ranger outfits. :allears:

Like the outfits are already a little extra, but then they have these even more extra versions for hanging out in the tower. That was a nice touch.

And taking the shawl was explicitly mentioned this episode so this must only be like Aes Sedai Black tie and there's a super special white tie version where they wear shawls on top.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

What if the man Liandrin is meeting in North Harbor is Fain :stonk:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Hexel posted:

What if the man Liandrin is meeting in North Harbor is Fain :stonk:

I suppose I could ship that.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I'm curious to see what the book consultant says about the secret smash hut. Whether that is TAR or an actual physical place somewhere. There seems to be a plain white exterior glow from what can be seen of outside.

Clearly the little portraits are Ter'angreal.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

The Lord Bude posted:

And taking the shawl was explicitly mentioned this episode so this must only be like Aes Sedai Black tie and there's a super special white tie version where they wear shawls on top.

Oh yeah the shawl! I remember thinking that during the hall scenes, that there was a lot of talking about shawls but nobody was wearing one. Now I want to see maximum white tie AS.

So do people think Leane is going to be more involved in future episodes? Because she was in this episode, and she had speaking lines, but really wasn't more than a speaking extra. And I was thinking, if they were planning to retain her as a major/semi-major character going forwards, it seems weird to have the actress here but do nothing to establish her character in this episode. The episode is overfull already, like they all are, so I don't know where they could have fit that- she could be present in Siuan's scene with Nyn and Egwene?- but still, I'm wondering if they're going to do more with her later or not.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

So do people think Leane is going to be more involved in future episodes?

yeah i think this episode is the on-camera introduction to a bunch of ajah members that we're likely to see in recurring roles down the line.

at least, this is my assumption because they can't have nearly as gigantic of a cast of rando sisters as the books and it makes sense to start showing viewers faces even if they don't get lines yet

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

I kind of suspect that almost everyone we've seen in the Tower is supposed to be an important named character, but they're avoiding actually giving any of the names as much as possible in case the actress becomes unavailable.

That way they don't have any surprise recastings, but somebody who becomes important 4 seasons from now will have been around instead of being a sudden arrival.

On a related subject, having only two Greens seated in the Hall was a good touch. Lets you realize exactly how important the one who died was, without beating you in the face with it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Gnoman posted:

On a related subject, having only two Greens seated in the Hall was a good touch. Lets you realize exactly how important the one who died was, without beating you in the face with it.

I thought it was a Grey Sitter that was missing?

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

So do people think Leane is going to be more involved in future episodes? Because she was in this episode, and she had speaking lines, but really wasn't more than a speaking extra. And I was thinking, if they were planning to retain her as a major/semi-major character going forwards, it seems weird to have the actress here but do nothing to establish her character in this episode

She's almost certainly gonna have a larger role in the adventures of Siuan.

There's no reason to hire Jennifer Cheon Garcia vs. some random Czech extra unless she's gonna be involved in the whole post tower split storyline.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Jedit posted:

I thought it was a Grey Sitter that was missing?

Nah, green. The greys are on the right here:

Also: the central green sitter. Kerene was the head of the Ajah.

Hexel posted:

She's almost certainly gonna have a larger role in the adventures of Siuan.

There's no reason to hire Jennifer Cheon Garcia vs. some random Czech extra unless she's gonna be involved in the whole post tower split storyline.

Oh, is the actress a name? I didn't recognise her. Cool.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Though ajah heads didn't typically sit in the hall, or at least not always.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Pyromancer posted:

The main group was aged up from the wide-eyed teens they were in the book, don't even bat an eye to announcement one of them is the Dragon.
Mat became a brooding recidivist thief from a mere prankster, so the dagger effects are less contrast.
Rand is a coward for some reason, in the book he and Mat knock out the darkfriend coming after them, in the show a girl chases them all over the town.
Moiraine just causally leaves people to die couple times, so comes off as way more cold and calculating.
Lan is a giant softie compared to the books.
Thom became some kind of dull cowboy instead of flamboyant minstrel
Who even is close to the books characterization? Nynaeve and Loial perhaps

I am at work so I can't give a very detailed replay atm but I disagree with most of this, for example making Mat a pickpocket doesn't change his characterization since he's stealing to pay for lamps for his sisters and he is protective of them even to the point of putting his own life in danger when he runs outside during Winternight to find them. This is completely in line with who he is and who he becomes in the books. He also goes from smiling and joking in the first two episodes to withdrawn and snapping at people in episode 5, the contrast is pretty obvious and forward to the audience to show he's changed since Shadar Logoth.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

silvergoose posted:

True but they just brought in a proclaimed false Dragon so I expect everyone to show up with bells on to see the show. Also a public admonishment of one of the strongest Sisters in the Tower is the some extra hot gossip and who would want to miss that?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Pyromancer posted:

Ah yes, a katana girl, way more dangerous than a trolloc twice her size and armed with a huge and poisoned cleaver. Wheel of time: The Anime.

Wheel of time has always been an anime

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

silvergoose posted:

Well in the books they're sort of a semi-secret/open secret institution or whatever.

In the show, Maigan is very clearly the head of the blues, and is costumed so as to distinguish her from the sitters flanking her.

And looking at the other Ajahs I get a similar sort of the feel from the central sitters of, at least the yellows and the whites. Like the lead white has those shoulder things, the lead yellow has a fancier skirt, lead grey is in trousers rather than skirts. Hard to see what's going on with the high red from this angle.

It's not a very strong feeling and I might just be making poo poo up. Though did they not call Kerene the head of the greens in one of previous episodes?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

also Maigan's quasi-suit owns and is very good butch fashion

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

His Divine Shadow posted:

I really think they could've done that with a few short scenes. Stepin died on the way back to his home planet.

And then everyone would have forgotten about it by next next season.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

eke out posted:

heck yeah

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

eke out posted:

i was actually thinking this and i'm glad they're being so blatant with differences in styles instead of the endlessly dumb poo poo about people fainting at the idea of a woman wearing pants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

I dont think the "secret Ajah heads" are gonna be a thing in the show. Given the time restrictions the Aes Sedai politics need to be less nuanced and more straightforward. Theres just no time for the show to go too deep into the politics of the Tower.