Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Am I just bad at remembering, or did Moraine and Suine really smash in the books? My son (book-reader) and I were both like "uhhhhhh" when they kissed. We didn't remember that at all.

They did the Aes Sedai version of fooling around in boarding school

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

CainFortea posted:

That's lucky as hell, having managed to dodge all the adaptations with actual contempt for the source material that THIS is the your bar for that description. No I, Robot, Last man on earth, foundation.

... no The Watch. No Cowboy Bebop....

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Thought this was a great episode. The Ajah costumes are incredible. I love how they're consistent with the characteristics of the Ajah (low-cut for greens, etc), but also how each sister of the same Ajah wear completely different outfits.

Am I just bad at remembering, or did Moraine and Suine really smash in the books? My son (book-reader) and I were both like "uhhhhhh" when they kissed. We didn't remember that at all.

The waygates are whatever. Totally fine with them. I hope they don't combine them with portal stones though, but I guess it's possible so we don't have 4 worlds on a time-limited TV series (real world, TAM, ways, whatever the world is they go to with portal stones). The short teaser they showed of inside the ways looked loving awesome and I can't wait til next episode to see them.

I don't really have any big complaints about the episode, or even the show in general. I'm really enjoying it all, and glad I can finally visually see the story, even if it is rushed to fit into 8 episodes. The changes they've made so far are perfectly fine IMO.

Siuan and Moraine absolutely smashed when they were novices/accepted in the books which New Spring makes pretty clear. They spent their entire adult lives apart and pretending to be on the outs though and didn't have a ter'angreal that let them hook up so its like 20 years in the past by the time of the main storyline

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Contempt is a very strong word.

But yeah, these guys signed on to adapt the books because they hate them. Rosamund Pike hates then so much she's doing the audio books.
Yes, people who make Thom a dour cowboy, neuter Rand's establishing... everything, and thoughtlessly slap end game revelations into the beginning of the story hate the actual books.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

RandomReader posted:

Yes, people who make Thom a dour cowboy, neuter Rand's establishing... everything, and thoughtlessly slap end game revelations into the beginning of the story hate the actual books.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

i would simply not be trolled by the anonymous rereg who only posts in this thread and some weird anime LP

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

buffalo all day posted:

i would simply not be trolled by the anonymous rereg who only posts in this thread and some weird anime LP

oh, that explains everything

lol

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

I hope they don't combine them with portal stones though,

Rand walks past what looks like a portal stone when they're heading toward Tar Valon, so I don't think so.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

tam al'thor is real and i hear that he's shredded. that he has a six-pack

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Well I finished Path of Daggers Book 8. My thoughts in no particular order.

It was kind of meandering book, not a whole heck of a lot happened that really drove the story forward.

Nynaeve and Elayne used the bowl of the winds which I guess fixed the weather because now everything is winter. Weird to see that resolved so early in the book I though that would be drawn out.

More traveling! Elayne and Nynaeve , Egwene and the Aes Sedai

Rand being Rand and using Callindsor to route the Seachan was kind of awesome , but he kind of went crazy and killed a bunch of his dudes. It was a real what the gently caress thats insane , but also kind of awesome.

Perrin's search for the prophet and Morgase joining his party was pretty surprising. I had forgotten they escaped the Seachan and are now with Perrin.

Mat is loving no where in the book at all and I was super disappointed that his story wasn't resolved at all and we saw nothing of him. Only that the Seachan had conquered Ebou Dar. This was the biggest let down for me.

Cadsuane acts like Moraine. I guess she is standing in for Moraine now , not really a bad deal but I don't particularly care for her character since she's like suddenly mentioned as this bad rear end Aes Sedai who takes no poo poo from anyone , but that seems ot be the attitude all Aes Sedai take.

Overall I liked the book some stuff happened that was kind of cool , but overall it was a bit of spinning its wheel.

Faile got finally captured by the Shaido.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Let me lay it on the line, Tam has two on the vine, two sets of testicle, so devine.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

RandomReader posted:

Thom was dour? The thom who stole Rand's money back and continued to gently caress with him? Dashing silverfox Thom? He owned.

Rand's stuff has been trimmed yeah. But we have the rest of the series to deal with him, and the extra material for the other ta'veren has owned.

Siuane and Moirane working together is the only end game revelation they've moved up, right? Putting it in now gives us way more of an idea of what the Aes Sedai are doing, and creates more options for dramatic tension and drama as they try and avoid being uncovered.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I wish I hated myself to check out the whitecloak reddit to see how mad they are about gay people

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Zore posted:

Siuan and Moraine absolutely smashed when they were novices/accepted in the books which New Spring makes pretty clear. They spent their entire adult lives apart and pretending to be on the outs though and didn't have a ter'angreal that let them hook up so its like 20 years in the past by the time of the main storyline

Ahh, I never read New Spring, so that explains it. Guess I just must have missed it in the rest of the series.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Ahh, I never read New Spring, so that explains it. Guess I just must have missed it in the rest of the series.

It's subtext in the main series. Heavy subtext, but not quite explicit.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

New Spring is good and cool and everyone should read New Spring.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Episode Six, "The Flame of Tar Valon"

Big changes yet again, but we swerve back onto the path of the book by the end of the episode. Let's break it down. (I'm doing away with the spoiler tags since they're clearly irrelevant in this thread at this point.)

What happened?

The ripples from the changes in episode four become waves here, as significant changes from the books occur. Moiraine faces the Amyrlin Seat in the Hall and is exiled from the White Tower. She also has a secret meeting with her lover, Siuan Sanche. She separates Mat from the Shadar Logoth Dagger and, by the end of the episode, gathers everyone together at a Waygate to go to Fal Dara....except that Mat does not follow the others through the Gate. To the degree that the episode follows the books at all, this episode covers chapters 41-44 of The Eye of the World where the scattered groups of travelers reunite, learn of the threat to the Eye of the World, and enter a Waygate en route to Fal Dara. Arguably, it also covers chapter 4 of The Great Hunt where Siuan publicly reprimands Moiraine but then privately conspires with her, and maybe one could also say it touches on chapter 18 of TGH where Siuan has a chat with Egwene and Nynaeve.

What did they change or add?

What didn't they change? Since this episode is entirely from Moiraine's point of view there really is only one plotline, Moiraine starring in "How I Spent My Tar Valon Vacation." So in chronological order:

Moirane, Liandrin, and Alanna in the Hall facing the Amyrlin and the Sitters obviously is new since, as we mentioned previously, none of those three were involved in Logain's capture in the books.

Logain in the books gets his trial before the Amyrlin, is found guilty, and is gentled. He is also kept in the Tower to be studied. None of this happens on page, however, we are simply told of it after the fact.

Though the circumstances are slightly different, the scene where Moiraine heals Mat of his Dagger Sicknesses pretty close to the book version, with the exception that since Rand doesn't think Mat can channel in the book, he never tries to pull a sword on Lan. Show Rand deserved what he got for trying to raise steel to Lan, however.

Moraine's spa conference with Maigan is completely new, with most of Maigan's news referring to events seen in the show...excepting the missing ships off the west coast. This is almost certainly a reference to the Seanchan fleet's approach to Toman Head. Maigan's probably going to regret investigating this oddity.

Siuan and Morgaine were "pillow friends" in the books when they were both Novices and Accepted, but the sexual relationship did not last. In the show, this has clearly changed.

Siuan's conversation with Egwene and Nynaeve is more a magic lesson in the book than a pep talk as it is here.

Moiraine is, of course, never exiled from the Tower in the books. In fact, I don't believe Moiraine is ever even at the Tower in any of the books aside from the prequel New Spring.

Moirane and Siuan believe they can destroy the Dark One at the Eye of the World in the show, this is not the case in the books.

The Waygate used in the book is in a cellar under a shop in Camelyn. It doesn't require the Power to activate in the books. Everyone goes through, including the horses and including Mat.

What got dropped entirely?

With so much new material it's hard to gauge, but most of the book action that is covered by this episode takes place in Camelyn, not Tar Valon.

So what do I think?

Well, I'm pretty certain that Mat's refusal to enter the Gate is due to Barney Harris leaving the show before the reshoots for episodes 7 and 8 could take place. It sucks, but to be honest, Mat doesn't have THAT much to do at the Eye of the World. Given the circumstances, it was probably the best solution available to them. The knock on effects of Mat not going to Fal Dara at all could be significant with regards to how things happen in The Great Hunt, but that's a season two problem.

As I've said elsewhere, I'm much happier with Moiraine + Siuan than either of the book relationships they have separately. Jordan's romance writing is often considered one of his weakest skills, and much credit to the show for improving Rand + Egwene into an actual couple and giving us Moraine + Siuan which feels like a very long standing relationship indeed.

Others have speculated that maybe Liandrin will replace Elaida as Siuan's big rival from the Red. Given that show Liandrin in just a few episodes has shown deeper characterization than book Liandrin's cartoonish evil and book Elaida's gross incompetence, I'm in favor of this change if indeed they make it. It does raise the question whether show Liandrin will actually be a Darkfriend, though. If show Liandrin really is an amalgamation of book Liandrin and book Elaida, we should recall that book Elaida wasn't a Darkfriend, she was just bad at her job. Having show Liandrin be a rival who believes she is correct even if she uses questionable methods to get there, and indeed sometimes has a point as she did with Logain, makes for a much more compelling villain than the evil for evil's sake version that was book Liandrin. On the other hand, the only Darkfriend we're certain is a Darkfriend on the show was Dana, and she was much more interesting than most book Darkfriends as well. (Yes, I know that Fain is a Darkfriend in the books, but neither has he been proven to be one in the show yet. I mean yes, Fain almost certainly is one given his trailing Mat and Rand around Tar Valon, but it isn't proven yet.)

If Liandrin is a Darkfriend, then I'll bet the man she's meeting in North Harbor is Padan Fain since that's the easiest way to explain how she learned Mat and Rand's names.

I really enjoyed watching Moiraine switching gears between hurried but efficient when talking with Lan, cold and threatening when slapping down Liandrin, and warm and welcoming when talking to Loial all within a few minutes. The Many Faces of Moiraine Sedai, one might say.

While I'm aware that some people are having more trouble with this than I am....and are posting to say so in the danker parts of the internet...I'm able to accept the "new turning of the Wheel" idea and just enjoy the show for what it is. Which I admit is slightly ironic given that I also post a "what changed" summary every week, but change isn't necessarily bad. I don't agree with all of them (I still think Laila got done dirty) but overall I'm still quite enjoying the show. Too bad there's only two episodes left in the season, I'd be happier if this went ten or more episodes per season. Maybe they'll get more episodes now that they're officially a hit? Here's hoping.

e: Dammit, Valda isn't a Darkfriend, he's just a garbage human being. I was thinking about Carradin, who hasn't shown up yet. :doh:

Episodes 1 & 2
Episode 3
Episode 4
Episode 5
Episode 7
Episode 8

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Dec 27, 2021

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Loving the recaps, thanks as always for doing them.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Was Valda a darkfriend in the books? I don't recall that, but then I also don't recall much of him at all. Must have been skimming those chapters. Carridin was, of course

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Valda isn't a dark friend in the book

Also I'm imagining new mat shows up to fal Dara with everyone's horses to meet up with them after they return from the blight. Perhaps having been given a sendoff by siuan to do exactly that.

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
Mat's gonna make a fortune selling Lan and Moiraine's mounts. Season 2 opens up with him in a fancy noble's coat gambling in an inn.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

jng2058 posted:

So according to Maidens of the Spear, the rumor going around for why Mat stays behind is because by the time they were going to do the ep. 7-8 reshoots, Harris had already left the show. So, since they couldn't get him back for them, they had to reshoot him just staying behind.

What am I missing about this?

He had already left the show and they couldn't get him back to do reshoots, so ... they did a reshoot where they left him behind at the Waygate, and he came back for that?

Why does this make sense to everyone but me

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

ad090 posted:

Mat's gonna make a fortune selling Lan and Moiraine's mounts. Season 2 opens up with him in a fancy noble's coat gambling in an inn.

This means most of Season 2 becomes about Lan and Moiraine hunting down their lost steeds and I'm ok with that.

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm

Data Graham posted:

He had already left the show and they couldn't get him back to do reshoots, so ... they did a reshoot where they left him behind at the Waygate, and he came back for that?

No they reused footage of him just standing around looking sickly/unsure, if you rewatch that scene everyone is yelling at him to come on and get in the closing portal, and it weirdly cuts to him just standing there. The shot of "Mat" in the distance out of focus most likely wasn't even Barney.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh. lmao then

Expanse post team: *splices in publicity photo of Alex with drops of blood floating around*

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Data Graham posted:

I'm with you Data Graham.

Maybe Mat stays behind because he's having some Golom "My Precious" feelings about the dagger and he wants it back, but Fain steals it first. Mat vs the dagger/Fain would give him something to do while the rest of the gang is in Fal Dara

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Judkins on episode 6

https://nerdist.com/article/the-wheel-of-time-showrunner-rafe-judkins-interview-moiraine-relationship-siuan/

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Rand's stuff has been trimmed yeah. But we have the rest of the series to deal with him, and the extra material for the other ta'veren has owned.

Actually, most of the other ta'veren have had their stuff cut down too. Mat is mostly intact, I think, and Nyn obviously has more, but otherwise the extra material is all for Moiraine and Lan.

I guess if you were wanting to crowbar more Moiraine stuff into the story, this is the part with the most room for that.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Data Graham posted:

I imagine the original scene was Mat being reluctant to enter and finally jumps in after everyone as the waygate closes. They reshoot the others shouting "Mat, come on!" and use a double for the long shots and throw in a few reactions of Barney Harris looking unsure of what to do and show the waygate closing.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

jng2058 posted:

Episode Six, "The Flame of Tar Valon"

Big changes yet again, but we swerve back onto the path of the book by the end of the episode. Let's break it down. (I'm doing away with the spoiler tags since they're clearly irrelevant in this thread at this point.)

What happened?

The ripples from the changes in episode four become waves here, as significant changes from the books occur. Moiraine faces the Amyrlin Seat in the Hall and is exiled from the White Tower. She also has a secret meeting with her lover, Siuan Sanche. She also separates Mat from the Shadar Logoth Dagger and, by the end of the episode, gathers everyone together at a Waygate to go to Fal Dara....except that Mat does not follow the others through the Gate. To the degree that the episode follows the books at all, this episode covers chapters 41-44 of The Eye of the World where the scattered groups of travelers reunite, learn of the threat to the Eye of the World, and enter a Waygate en route to Fal Dara. Arguably, it also covers chapter 4 of The Great Hunt where Siuan publicly reprimands Moiraine but then privately conspires with her, and maybe one could also say it touches on chapter 18 of TGH where Siuan has a chat with Egwene and Nynaeve.

What did they change or add?

What didn't they change? Since this episode is entirely from Moiraine's point of view there really is only one plotline, Moiraine starring in "How I Spent My Tar Valon Vacation." So in chronological order:

Moirane, Liandrin, and Alanna in the Hall facing the Amyrlin and the Sitters obviously is new since, as we mentioned previously, none of those three were involved in Logain's capture in the books.

Logain in the books gets his trial before the Amyrlin, is found guilty, and is gentled. He is also kept in the Tower to be studied. None of this happens on page, however, we are simply told of it after the fact.

Though the circumstances are slightly different, the scene where Moiraine heals Mat of his Dagger Sicknesses pretty close to the book version, with the exception that since Rand doesn't think Mat can channel in the book, he never tries to pull a sword on Lan. Show Rand deserved what he got for trying to raise steel to Lan, however.

Moraine's spa conference with Maigan is completely new, with most of Maigan's news referring to events seen in the show...excepting the missing ships off the west coast. This is almost certainly a reference to the Seanchan fleet's approach to Toman Head. Maigan's probably going to regret investigating this oddity.

Siuan and Morgaine were "pillow friends" in the books when they were both Novices and Accepted, but the sexual relationship did not last. In the show, this has clearly changed.

Siuan's conversation with Egwene and Nynaeve is more a magic lesson in the book than a pep talk as it is here.

Moiraine is, of course, never exiled from the Tower in the books. In fact, I don't believe Moiraine is ever even at the Tower in any of the books aside from the prequel New Spring.

Moirane and Siuan believe they can destroy the Dark One at the Eye of the World in the show, this is not the case in the books.

The Waygate used in the book is in a cellar under a shop in Camelyn. It doesn't require the Power to activate in the books. Everyone goes through, including the horses and including Mat.

What got dropped entirely?

With so much new material it's hard to gauge, but most of the book action that is covered by this episode takes place in Camelyn, not Tar Valon.

So what do I think?

Well, I'm pretty certain that Mat's refusal to enter the Gate is due to Barney Harris leaving the show before the reshoots for episodes 7 and 8 could take place. It sucks, but to be honest, Mat doesn't have THAT much to do at the Eye of the World. Given the circumstances, it was probably the best solution available to them. The knock on effects of Mat not going to Fal Dara at all could be significant with regards to how things happen in The Great Hunt, but that's a season two problem.

As I've said elsewhere, I'm much happier with Moiraine + Siuan than either of the book relationships they have separately. Jordan's romance writing is often considered one of his weakest skills, and much credit to the show for improving Rand + Egwene into an actual couple and giving us Moraine + Siuan which feels like a very long standing relationship indeed.

Others have speculated that maybe Liandrin will replace Elaida as Siuan's big rival from the Red. Given that show Liandrin in just a few episodes has shown deeper characterization than book Liandrin's cartoonish evil and book Elaida's gross incompetence, I'm in favor of this change if indeed they make it. It does raise the question whether show Liandrin will actually be a Darkfriend, though. If show Liandrin really is an amalgamation of book Liandrin and book Elaida, we should recall that book Elaida wasn't a Darkfriend, she was just bad at her job. Having show Liandrin be a rival who believes she is correct even if she uses questionable methods to get there, and indeed sometimes has a point as she did with Logain, makes for a much more compelling villain than the evil for evil's sake version that was book Liandrin. On the other hand, the only Darkfriend we're certain is a Darkfriend on the show was Dana, and she was much more interesting than most book Darkfriends as well. (Yes, I know that both Valda and Fain are Darkfriends in the books, but neither has been proven to be one in the show yet. Valda, for instance, could just be the worst kind of self-righteous Whitecloak who really believes he's been placed on Earth to kill all channelers. I mean yes, Fain almost certainly is one given his trailing Mat and Rand around Tar Valon, but it isn't proven yet.)

If Liandrin is a Darkfriend, then I'll bet the man she's meeting in North Harbor is Padan Fain since that's the easiest way to explain how she learned Mat and Rand's names.

I really enjoyed watching Moiraine switching gears between hurried but efficient when talking with Lan, cold and threatening when slapping down Liandrin, and warm and welcoming when talking to Loial all within a few minutes. The Many Faces of Moiraine Sedai, one might say.

While I'm aware that some people are having more trouble with this than I am....and are posting to say so in the danker parts of the internet...I'm able to accept the "new turning of the Wheel" idea and just enjoy the show for what it is. Which I admit is slightly ironic given that I also post a "what changed" summary every week, but change isn't necessarily bad. I don't agree with all of them (I still think Laila got done dirty) but overall I'm still quite enjoying the show. Too bad there's only two episodes left in the season, I'd be happier if this went ten or more episodes per season. Maybe they'll get more episodes now that they're officially a hit? Here's hoping.

Can we have a link to each summary posted in the op?

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

ad090 posted:

Season 2 Mat sold the horses and got the plastic surgery he always wanted but couldn't afford.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

CainsDescendant posted:

Was Valda a darkfriend in the books? I don't recall that, but then I also don't recall much of him at all. Must have been skimming those chapters. Carridin was, of course

CainFortea posted:

Valda isn't a dark friend in the book

Also I'm imagining new mat shows up to fal Dara with everyone's horses to meet up with them after they return from the blight. Perhaps having been given a sendoff by siuan to do exactly that.

No, you're right, he isn't. I got him mixed up in my head with Carradin. Valda's just an rear end in a top hat.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

jng2058 posted:

No, you're right, he isn't. I got him mixed up in my head with Carradin. Valda's just an rear end in a top hat.

Valda is *such* an rear end in a top hat.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

He fired Best Secretary Balwer!!!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm just now reading the books but Valda doesn't show up til way later like book 6 or something so they moved that up as well. I don't recall Valda ever being mentioned in the books until Morgase is with the White Cloaks.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

He’s barely in the books and it’s mostly revolving around morgase. He also barely doesn’t anything till Galad ganks him.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Between the dagger and the reluctant hero thing, maybe Mat will end up following Fain to Fal Dara to save his friends and find out some hosed up poo poo Fain is up to along the way.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Hollismason posted:

I'm just now reading the books but Valda doesn't show up til way later like book 6 or something so they moved that up as well. I don't recall Valda ever being mentioned in the books until Morgase is with the White Cloaks.

I think he's mentioned as the leader of the Whitecloak force at Tar Valon around book 3/4?

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

Has Elaida been cast? Just wondering if they're combining her with Liandrin, which would make sense in a show adaptation I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm

Democratic Pirate posted:

Between the dagger and the reluctant hero thing, maybe Mat will end up following Fain to Fal Dara to save his friends and find out some hosed up poo poo Fain is up to along the way.

As I understand it, there are no more Mat scenes this season, they almost certainly have some of him in Fal Dara and the Blight, but I'm assuming they did reshoots, or got really creative with editing, probably both.