Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Also it’s the future. They might be firing something better than lead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

wiegieman posted:

Even astartes can't just laugh off heavy auto fire forever. Concentrated fire will bring them down, which is why they're always moving so fast and aggressively.

Them being suppressed by the heavy stubber was totally reasonable, them being suppressed by autoguns is not.

That's one of those things where they just wade through that fire storm because their armor is built to take it (and they do in like every other novel). Which is why I noticed it.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Dec 10, 2021

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Yvonmukluk posted:

It looks like him, but he’s at least been demoted to Lieutenant.

Maybe he was the fill-in captain of 2nd company while Sicarius was off leading the Honour Company against the 13th Black Crusade and got demoted back to the ranks when he came back.

it was also like 250 years ago. but yeah it makes sense that they are walking back on him being captain since cato is a big character.

Angry Lobster posted:

Probably right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj5XzBKf4sI&t=316s

Apparently Titus wears the chainsaw attached to the arm with chains, like the Black Templars and has some inquisitorial symbols, so maybe he's back to the chapter on penance duty.

yeah thats my guess.

Biplane posted:

I cant help but notice they took the cowards way out and made tyranids the enemy. Let me fight blood pact or something you fuckers

the website is keeping it super vague it it says Planets plural and horrors plural. my guess is chaos or some other fuckers will pop up again. also i hope we fight genestealer cultists because just fighting guants could get boring but we will see.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
What I don't understand is why he's fighting Starcraft enemies in the trailer, surely they're opening themselves up to a lawsuit from Activision Blizzard

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Mechafunkzilla posted:

What I don't understand is why he's fighting Starcraft enemies in the trailer, surely they're opening themselves up to a lawsuit from Activision Blizzard

Gonna assume this is a troll and not take the bait...

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Meh. Pretty boring looking.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Arquinsiel posted:

Ah, in various other Sabbat Worlds books they talk about ".20 cal autocannon" being a big round which is lol. A .45 round out of a rifle cartridge would be a lot nastier.

I thought Abnett said the autocannons were 20mm guns. Which is an actual type of autocannon we've used for decades. The significant part was that Bragg was holding the autocannon like a rifle and shooting it without a belt feeder helping him.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Demiurge4 posted:

Also it’s the future. They might be firing something better than lead.
i'd assume it's asteroid mined tungsten-tipped depleted uranium or nastier, but even then you're going to be firing it from a bigger muzzle and using a sabot or something.

Arc Hammer posted:

I thought Abnett said the autocannons were 20mm guns. Which is an actual type of autocannon we've used for decades. The significant part was that Bragg was holding the autocannon like a rifle and shooting it without a belt feeder helping him.
No, he actually talks about .20cal and the REALLY BIG .30cal autocannon in one of the post-Gereon books. Possibly Salvation's Reach. The actual autocannon minis of Bragg's era had visible shells and while probably based on the Rarden look to be something like 75mm+ rounds.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

euphronius posted:

Meh. Pretty boring looking.

:hmmwrong:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Arquinsiel posted:

No, he actually talks about .20cal and the REALLY BIG .30cal autocannon in one of the post-Gereon books. Possibly Salvation's Reach. The actual autocannon minis of Bragg's era had visible shells and while probably based on the Rarden look to be something like 75mm+ rounds.

Ah okay. So it's another case of sci fi authors throwing around terms they don't quite understand because it sounds cool. Like how in The Expanse they make a big deal about how Bobbie's minigun fires 8mm subsonic rounds like that's meant to be impressive.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

It's no Astartes but I get the feeling Astartes has set the standard for SM animations for a generation to come.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Arc Hammer posted:

The traitor guardsmen in Space Marine 1 were the worst part of that game specifically because they would often spawn on ledges you can't reach and shoot you with rocket launchers.
To me the whole game became a lot less fun once you were fighting Archenemy forces instead of Orks, both because the Chaos enemies hit annoyingly hard and because they simply couldn't be slaughtered in such hilariously violent ways as the greenskins.

Which is why I'm not hugely excited about taking on Tyranids this time around, however iconic they are. Orks being all :orks101: SPOICE MAHREENS! :byodood: before/while dying horribly was pretty much the best part of SM1 as far as I'm concerned.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MMAgCh posted:

To me the whole game became a lot less fun once you were fighting Archenemy forces instead of Orks, both because the Chaos enemies hit annoyingly hard and because they simply couldn't be slaughtered in such hilariously violent ways as the greenskins.

Which is why I'm not hugely excited about taking on Tyranids this time around, however iconic they are. Orks being all :orks101: SPOICE MAHREENS! :byodood: before/while dying horribly was pretty much the best part of SM1 as far as I'm concerned.

What if they had Genestealer Cult enemies? They've got personality.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Arc Hammer posted:

Ah okay. So it's another case of sci fi authors throwing around terms they don't quite understand because it sounds cool. Like how in The Expanse they make a big deal about how Bobbie's minigun fires 8mm subsonic rounds like that's meant to be impressive.
The Expanse gets a pass for spending all their research time on the engine tech.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

quote:

WarCom: What is it like working on something you do in your free time?

Aleksandra: It helps a lot. You get a deeper understanding of what you’re doing and why. And for me, it’s been fascinating to see the figures I paint as a hobby come to life in the game.

WarCom: As an art producer, what has been the main challenge of working on Space Marine 2?

Aleksandra: The hardest part is to keep everything faithful to the lore and miniatures while making everything realistic at the same time. Miniatures have quite exaggerated shapes to make them stand out on the table. We couldn’t retrace the forms, so we needed to change them just a little while still staying true to the Warhammer IP.

Interesting.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

That's so stupid. And I hate it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And that's why the Guardsman Helmet looks goofy and oversized.

I actually thought Space Marine 1 did a really good job of balancing 40k exaggerated details with realistic humanoid proportions.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Z the IVth posted:

It's no Astartes but I get the feeling Astartes has set the standard for SM animations for a generation to come.

Yeah the whole time I watched it I was thinking “astartes did this way better “

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

Death guard have been very trendy lately, so we could get to face some of those in space marine 2. Think there could be some fun mechanics to fighting them

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I mentioned Necrons as a potential second act antagonist in the 40k game thread and I'm sticking by that. They're an extremely popular tabletop faction and an egomaniacal scenery-chewing Phaeron is just the thing the game needs if the first part of it is gonna be fighting Tyranids. Plus the "oops Tyranids accidentally invaded a Necron Tomb World" is a fun twist that happens repeatedly in codex and campaign book blurbs but we've never got an up close and personal look at it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is that a thing now? I remember a few editions back there was a blurb that Tyranids actively avoided targeting Tomb Worlds.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Arc Hammer posted:

Is that a thing now? I remember a few editions back there was a blurb that Tyranids actively avoided targeting Tomb Worlds.

They actively avoid activated Tomb Worlds for obvious reasons. But nobody besides the Necrons really know where the dormant ones are .

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Arc Hammer posted:

I think they did but it got a bit jumbled up when they expanded/rewrote the Necron backstory. I know there were some Tau that were "saved" from a Tyranid hive fleet by some awakening Necrons and in the recent Octarius supplements there were reports from some Imperial worlds trying to maintain the cordon around Octarius about "metal skeletons" rising out of the ground and wiping out the invading Tyranids. I'm sure there have been other examples throughout the years.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Z the IVth posted:

euphronius posted:

Yeah the whole time I watched it I was thinking “astartes did this way better “

Ok, sure. But this is a video game?

Are you guys talking strictly about the CGI intro? It's not as if even that completely paled in comparison to Astartes. Those three marines (or just Titus) absolutely wrecked house.

The gameplay teaser looked faithful to the gameplay of SM1 so I don't get the "looks boring" and "astartes did this way better" opinions.

Biplane posted:

That's so stupid. And I hate it.

I don't get this either. You can tell even the McFarlane marines had to be reshaped a little from the miniature. Primaris armor isn't something that makes an instant and easy 1:1 translation. Some tweaks have to be made.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Arc Hammer posted:

For what it's worth, those 8mm rounds are essentially the same as the new .338 Norma Magnum (8.6mm) rounds that SOCOM is in love with. I'd assume that her minigun is basically a miniaturized version of the LWMMG prototype that absolutely rips poo poo out to 2,000m.

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/socom-sig-suaer-mg-338-machine-gun/

Kaal fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Dec 11, 2021

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The animations were way worse. The setting was bland and boring. The camera angles were stale. It just wasn’t good

I’m talking about the part where the ultra Marines attack the bugs in the street .

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
I think tomorrow Black Library is announcing some of their book lineup for 2022. Hopefully we'll get some info on the next SoT novel or what Chris Wraight is working on.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Hoping that part two of Twice-Dead King is coming soon

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

I need news about black legion 3, Spears 2, Lords of Silence 2 and anything by Peter Fehervari

Liveware
Feb 5, 2014
So it took 9 years to go from Pariah to Penitent...

... I'd probably be too overoptimistic to hope for more Abnett in 2022, right?

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
The animations and environments looked like they were straight out of the original Space Marine to be honest, gave me some real copy-paste vibes.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Liveware posted:

So it took 9 years to go from Pariah to Penitent...

... I'd probably be too overoptimistic to hope for more Abnett in 2022, right?

It took that long because of health issues and other stuff with Black Library right? Same reason there was a 7 year gap between Salvation's Reach and The Warmaster.

Abnett can usually put out books at a good pace, it was only 18 months or something between Warmaster and Anarch once he got his stride in.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

HOLY SHIIIIIIIIIIII

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/12/11/discover-what-reads-await-in-2022-with-black-librarys-warhammer-preview-online/

I hate it that they keep offloading all the good stuff at the end of the show. Because hearing 30-40 minutes of Horus Heresy talk is just boring.
A new Gotrek book is good though, shame I haven't been able to read Gitslayer because their release schedules are moronic.

But then at the end they throw out stuff like Robert Rath writing about assassins on a knight world and Mike Brooks writing a Huron Blackheart book just like that. I wish they would stop.

Miguel Prado posted:

I need news about black legion 3, Spears 2, Lords of Silence 2 and anything by Peter Fehervari

Nope, Nope, Nope, and he's doing a short story about Angels Penitent for a Marine Successor Anthology.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

HOLY SHIIIIIIIIIIII

did they say when?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Waroduce posted:

did they say when?

Yep! 2022...

Edit-- just being snarky, no idea the specifics.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Wasn’t the original picture of Eisenhorn just a random Inquisitor from Rogue trader or something . And Abnett was inspired by it?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Wow they announced way more than I expected and just about everything looks rad as hell.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/12/11/discover-what-reads-await-in-2022-with-black-librarys-warhammer-preview-online/

That is one hell of a lineup.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

euphronius posted:

Wasn’t the original picture of Eisenhorn just a random Inquisitor from Rogue trader or something . And Abnett was inspired by it?

It was for the original Inquisitor game that no one played, but otherwise you are correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

They announced Saturnine coming soon in paperback?

But I have Saturnine in paperback right here. I'm looking at it in my bookshelf...?