Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Harrow posted:

Maybe I'm not a real PC Gamer(tm) but I cannot bring myself to give a poo poo about EGS versus Steam. I just don't care at all and it is bizarre to me how much of a crusade some people make of it, still.

Yeah this.

I don't really go around browsing for games through a store though. I just keep an eye on upcoming releases and go find out where I can play it on PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

My only problem is that I like steam cheevos and I like steam workshop. I also do not like epic games as a company but I also simply do not give a gently caress about valve. But since I feel nothing towards valve and don’t like epic games as a company, I pick steam over EGS.

If some rich rear end in a top hat wants to give SE a billion dollars so that I have to click a different icon on my desktop so be it. Some amount of those billions will probably go towards final fantasy, so

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I played the version without Yuffie on PS4 so I think I can wait another year for it to hit steam.

KernelZee
Sep 28, 2021

I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
I’ll grab FF7r on EGS. I think I have a coupon too, plus it was the only way to get the stellar Tony Hawk 1+2 (rip VV).

I think Tim is a doofus but my real bone to pick with them is tickling me with a new Unreal Tournament and then taking it away :mad:

Well that and I trust Gabe a pubic hair more than Tim not to gently caress my digital library, but since Valve has gone VR only and left TF2 to rot, I don’t really give a poot about them either.

Does FF7r end at when you leave midgar?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Harrow posted:

Maybe I'm not a real PC Gamer(tm) but I cannot bring myself to give a poo poo about EGS versus Steam. I just don't care at all and it is bizarre to me how much of a crusade some people make of it, still.

:same:

KernelZee posted:

Does FF7r end at when you leave midgar?

Yes

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
There were some people in my FFXIV guild that told me Final Fantasy II PR was the bad one and to skip it entirely. How true is this? I enjoyed FFI PR quite a bit and can't imagine it would be that different. Looks pretty much the same in the steam previews?

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
It's not that FF2PR is bad, it's that FF2 is a very different take on Final Fantasy. The more re-released it gets the more the character growth system gets streamlined but you might want to check out a systems guide or video that explains how leveling up works because it is very different.

I would also, if asked, tell people to skip it fwiw.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

FFII is the Zelda II of the franchise. What that means in terms of quality I leave to the reader.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Cardboard Fox posted:

There were some people in my FFXIV guild that told me Final Fantasy II PR was the bad one and to skip it entirely. How true is this? I enjoyed FFI PR quite a bit and can't imagine it would be that different. Looks pretty much the same in the steam previews?

It's an interesting relic, and a lot of its ideas would be more fleshed out in the SaGa games. The PR version is a pretty good way to play it. I feel like it's worth checking out as a curiosity.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, FF2 is a proto-SaGa game from a time back when sequels frequently got wildly experimental because genre conventions hadn't been entirely nailed down yet. But honestly, more than the wonky leveling system and the fact that after Minwu almost all of your 4th-slot party members are going to range somewhere between "unimpressive" and "complete dead weight" is the fact that the dungeon design is aggressively poo poo and I would not play that game without a guide with maps open due to the map designer's propensity for placing multiple doors in a room, only one of which is the "right way" to go and all of the others dropping you into the middle of an empty room with the encounter rate turned up to 20.

FF2 is just not a good game, even if you already understand its mechanics.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
FF2PR makes enough changes that it is a playable game and not a digital ball of spite and hatred. If you're in for a museum tour of Final Fantasy it's perfectly fine to play. Just realize there are certain points in the game that it still hates you personally and wants you to lose, but with quick save and a walkthrough guide that's manageable.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

FF2 has a pretty cool villain that definitely makes the party want to go smash his face in. For it's time, it's pretty decent.

It's a quite different battle/level system that really isn't fun though.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Commander Keene posted:

Yeah, FF2 is a proto-SaGa game from a time back when sequels frequently got wildly experimental because genre conventions hadn't been entirely nailed down yet. But honestly, more than the wonky leveling system and the fact that after Minwu almost all of your 4th-slot party members are going to range somewhere between "unimpressive" and "complete dead weight" is the fact that the dungeon design is aggressively poo poo and I would not play that game without a guide with maps open due to the map designer's propensity for placing multiple doors in a room, only one of which is the "right way" to go and all of the others dropping you into the middle of an empty room with the encounter rate turned up to 20.

FF2 is just not a good game, even if you already understand its mechanics.

Of all the PRs it's the one where I have really appreciated the inclusion of an in-game map haha

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
FF2 has amazing, beyond it's time techno-fantasy set pieces that set the stage for the congruous techno-fantasy to come in the next generations of FF and the Emperor is a cool rear end villain.

It's just it has all of that and then you open a chest in a dungeon and 4 cats ambush you with instant death attacks causing an unavoidable game over.

E. You can not open the chest sure, but the cats just show up next dungeon as random encounters

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It is also Final Fantasy Star Wars and you can make your primary characters super powerful early in the game if you wanted.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

FF2 established the unending theme of final fantasy that continues to this day:

Aesthetic before gameplay

Because holy gently caress is FF2’s combat not stupidly broken lol

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

You could skip 1 to 3 and not miss anything. drat near nothing about 2's gameplay ever showed up again in the main series.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Good

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
2PR is probably the one that has the most changed mechanically between itself and it's previous versions and not always for the better, like 100% success rate statuses when tied to attacks. It's fine but it's not a particularly good version of FF2 in any way mechanically nor.is what it's become a significantly better game then the flawed versions before it. Definitely the most skippable of the PR releases so far.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

Cardboard Fox posted:

If completely hidden massive stat penalties on equipment is your jam you should definitely give it a shot.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
There is 1 mod I want for the PC release of VIImake, and that is fixing Aeris' name!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

FF1 is really fun and one of the best games of the series.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Leal posted:

There is 1 mod I want for the PC release of VIImake, and that is fixing Earisu's name!

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you
FF2 is a slog to play but I honestly think it has one of the strongest "vibes" of the entire series, especially given the hardware it was produced on

I played through it unpatched without cheating on the NES exactly once and that was more than enough times. The whole system needs to be re-evaluated and re-implemented to make it good. Instead of doing that, most of the modern ports do away with things that make the combat more interesting (such as full back row melee protection for both enemies and allies) and keep a ton of the tedious parts so it's not much of an improvement

I always thought a point buy system would work really well for it- get traditional exp and spend your exp on stats/proficiencies/magic levels. It would mostly keep the same design intent in place since you'll probably use the skills you invest in, but I think it would remove a lot of the tedium of trying to build up skills from scratch later in the game or level up utility spells you don't need in every fight

The dungeon design is dogshit too

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Gaius Marius posted:

FF1 is really fun and one of the best games of the series.

Agreed and FF1 randomizer has made me want another FF1 style game real bad

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Inspector Gesicht posted:

You could skip 1 to 3 and not miss anything. drat near nothing about 2's gameplay ever showed up again in the main series.

This but the opposite. It's a weird and fun and unique take on the franchise that's a pretty quick play through so you should try it out.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

pretty soft girl posted:

Agreed and FF1 randomizer has made me want another FF1 style game real bad

It’s just a very solid (if not profoundly on-rails) dungeon crawler. They could iterate on it very easily. Perhaps with some sort of “use things to get good at those things” system, and a more robust story? And if that doesn’t work, maybe flesh out the class system and return to the faceless protagonists?

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

jokes posted:

It’s just a very solid (if not profoundly on-rails) dungeon crawler. They could iterate on it very easily. Perhaps with some sort of “use things to get good at those things” system, and a more robust story? And if that doesn’t work, maybe flesh out the class system and return to the faceless protagonists?

I'd like to see faceless protags, an expanded class system (maybe not job changing, but possibly choices to be made around promotions), vancian spell casting, presentation that lands halfway between dreary CRPG and weebish JRPG (I feel like FF1 is one of the rare games that hits this mark), a story/plot you can ignore if you want to, slightly procedural/randomized dungeon layouts, speedrun QoL features, and quick to beat from start to finish so you can play around with the class system a bunch

FF1 randomizer honestly hits most of those beats, I kind of just want something new beyond that. If they adapted some of the systems from FFXI like the skillchain/magic burst system and the subjob system into a game like this I think it'd be a blast

Edit: face palm, I just realized what you did

pretty soft girl fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Dec 11, 2021

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

jokes posted:

I see what you did here.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
FFII is as equally seminal to the franchise as FF1, it introduced a hell of a lot of iconic Final Fantasy elements, like dragoons, ultima, behemoths, and chocobos

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

cirus posted:

If completely hidden massive stat penalties on equipment is your jam you should definitely give it a shot.

Still mind boggling that they did everything they did with making III more or less a fusion of the Famicom/DS versions but decided to bring back hidden magic penalties on armor while changing enough stuff that it’s not strictly faithful (rows, ailments, Toad) anymore anyway.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Am i the only one who's expecting ff7r-2 to completely diverge from ff7? I thought that was a big point of ff7r, they had to kill the elemental forces of "that's NOT canon" and now they're free to do other poo poo. We may see Rocket Town, Tiny Bronco and/or Palmer getting run over by a truck but it won't be in the same context as the original

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nihilarian posted:

Am i the only one who's expecting ff7r-2 to completely diverge from ff7? I thought that was a big point of ff7r, they had to kill the elemental forces of "that's NOT canon" and now they're free to do other poo poo. We may see Rocket Town, Tiny Bronco and/or Palmer getting run over by a truck but it won't be in the same context as the original

I feel like it's going to stick close because of marketing. They already had to come out and promise the story was still going to feature iconic moments. I feel like the death of the spirits of canon doesn't mean their adventure is going to be completely different until Aerith inevitably doesn't die because even freed of those constraints they're still going to make the same choices and go to the same places.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

thetoughestbean posted:

FFII is as equally seminal to the franchise as FF1, it introduced a hell of a lot of iconic Final Fantasy elements, like dragoons, ultima, behemoths, and chocobos

And yet we've never had a return of "Guy speak beaver", which is a crime

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lotus Aura posted:

And yet we've never had a return of "Guy speak beaver", which is a crime

FFXIV has it actually.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I feel like it's going to stick close because of marketing. They already had to come out and promise the story was still going to feature iconic moments. I feel like the death of the spirits of canon doesn't mean their adventure is going to be completely different until Aerith inevitably doesn't die because even freed of those constraints they're still going to make the same choices and go to the same places.
no but what if the whole point of this canon spirits thing is to make the world's most well known twist a twist again and aerith actually still dies

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

actually cloud is gonna die instead

after that you play as gackt

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

FFXIV has it actually.

drat, maybe I need to finally play FFXIX after all…

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Guy speak beaver is a very wholesome and lovely sequence. The beaver sequence in FF14 is not wholesome and lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I think Gaben or Steam is interested in NFTs so I'm gonna have to say EGS is better than Steam on that basis alone, unless EGS has also expressed interest in NFTs, in which case they both suck rear end.

thetoughestbean posted:

Don't forget it was the first FF game to have a Cid! The DoS version of FFI found a way to retcon a Cid in by making him a Lufenian, but that doesn't count.