Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I have a foil Piedmon from the original digimon card game so let's do that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

The best way to artuliculate what I dislike about exclusive Arena cards that have online-only mechanics and functional errata is it's like if you are really into Eurotruck simulator on its own terms and they move a lot of design focus into adding machine guns and hovercars.

It's no longer a sim of something you were into translated with as much fidelity as possible, which dilutes the appeal for me. Let Hearthstone be Hearthstone IMO.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

foreverially alchemized and loving it

Target creature is perpetually delitized.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
Does anyone have any resources on how to print custom cards and make them look good? I'm mainly trying to figure out how to round the corners.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

NotNut posted:

Does anyone have any resources on how to print custom cards and make them look good? I'm mainly trying to figure out how to round the corners.

I have the cardboard duplicate from the front of a commander precon that I use as a size and shape guide, but that's usually just for photo paper flavor alters I slide in front of the real cards.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I think Alchemy sucks, but further more this sucks way more: Major European Distributor informs that prices will be higher starting from "Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty" https://old.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/rde79r/major_european_distributor_informs_that_prices/

I held off on buying anything from the last three sets, and was planning on splurging Neon Dynasty :(

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

NotNut posted:

You can buy corner punches like this

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

I really get the impression that some higher up is trying to squeeze as much money out of magic as possible for short term profit. Is anyone trying to buy hasbro or something?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Goa Tse-tung posted:

I think Alchemy sucks, but further more this sucks way more: Major European Distributor informs that prices will be higher starting from "Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty" https://old.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/rde79r/major_european_distributor_informs_that_prices/

I held off on buying anything from the last three sets, and was planning on splurging Neon Dynasty :(

is there a source for this that isn't a bad screenshot of some text?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

flatluigi posted:

I can't see anything official, so yeah :pray:

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

i'm not a mod here but i'm pretty sure there's a rule to not talk about how to make counterfeit mtg cards.

teppichporsche posted:

I really get the impression that some higher up is trying to squeeze as much money out of magic as possible for short term profit. Is anyone trying to buy hasbro or something?

i mean in general WOTC is expected to grow YoY for Hasbro by any means necessary. They had a very profitable year this past year so they're going to have to do more to show growth

flatluigi posted:

yea saw this rumor posted elsewhere on reddit. just sounds like something that could be true.. but also i don't understand why anyone would make that up

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

teppichporsche posted:

That's just shareholder theory

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

NotNut posted:

I bought a 3mm round corner punch for my play test cards. That's the size you'll want to use.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
So I've picked up Arena again and have just been doing dailies for a while building up gold to draft with. I have about 25k built up.

How exactly does one go "infinite" playing this? I'm not really interested in playing historic anymore, but I guess being able to play Brawl online would scratch an itch every now and then. But to do that I'm gonna want to bulk up on wildcards.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Framboise posted:

So I've picked up Arena again and have just been doing dailies for a while building up gold to draft with. I have about 25k built up.

How exactly does one go "infinite" playing this? I'm not really interested in playing historic anymore, but I guess being able to play Brawl online would scratch an itch every now and then. But to do that I'm gonna want to bulk up on wildcards.

Be good at draft. That's the most straightforward way to do things.

You could try your hand at constructed events, but I haven't heard anyone going infinite that way.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

download a draft assistant. don't follow it like a robot and still look for lanes and synergies but it can help you know which cards may be traps or underappreciated gems.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

rule 0 of drafting: don't beat yourself up if you don't do well. drafting is hard

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Owlbear Camus posted:

download a draft assistant. don't follow it like a robot and still look for lanes and synergies but it can help you know which cards may be traps or underappreciated gems.

draft assistants might be ok if you're a brand new player trying to lose slightly less but if your goal is to be good enough to go infinite, a draft assistant will hurt you in the long term (because you won't learn to think for yourself), and also hurt you in the short term (because they always have terrible ratings). if you're smart enough to ask questions on a forum you're smarter than an assistant

17lands is the only place to go for remotely objective/accurate ratings and even then you need to think about the metrics critically and understand what their biases are

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

starting out I personally found seeing the top 5 out of the first few packs instead of the top 15 helped me be less anxious about the timer.

but yeah it's no replacement for just researching the set and being able.to read signals and put together archetypes.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
It's simple to go "infinite" off events because you only need a 50% wr to break even but going all the way only doubles your entry fee and gives you 2 rare ICRs with no dupe protection. I just like jamming events because it's more rewarding than progressing past Platinum but I wouldn't call it a reliable way to grow your collection.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Strong Sauce posted:

i'm not a mod here but i'm pretty sure there's a rule to not talk about how to make counterfeit mtg cards.

If someone is talking about making custom cards, I think it's fair to assume that they're either not using official frames or they're not using official artwork. If that's the case then they won't pass as real cards and thus count as "playtest cards" rather than counterfeits as WotC define them.

NotNut, if I've got that wrong please let me know and I'll stop talking about it.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
WotC literally publishes articles about how to design your own custom cards and sets. I don’t see a problem.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Neon Dynasty gonna be loving stupid, typical wotc trying to cash in on the popularity of something way too late

Cyberpunk 2077 is what all the kids are talking about!!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

source your quotes

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
There will have been been more time between the creation of Magic and the release Neon Dynasty than between Alpha and the release of Blade Runner

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
https://twitter.com/austinyorski/status/1469738200377827329?t=1s5J4EXJRIKyJjT7zuRYig&s=19

I don't quite get what's going on here, anyone got an explanation?

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
innkeeper make treasure, play coco turn 3, pull out mimic which turns into coco

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Wooper posted:

innkeeper make treasure, play coco turn 3, pull out mimic which turns into coco

note: you have to luck out into getting mimic off of inquisitor captain each time

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

"Play my entire deck" is a weird way of saying "play between 2 and 5 creatures".

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

So you get, 5 3/3s, if you hit an increasingly unlikely mimic given that you need 20 hits in your deck?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I didn't download a helper thing or anything like that, but I decided to try my hand at Premier Draft more or less blind and got 3 wins. Apparently if I got 1 more win I'd just be a little short of being able to have the gems to run it again.

Bloodcrazed Socialite does some pretty good work.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I believe their plan is: Play Innkeeper for a treasure, then on t3 cast the Inquisitor Captain, which ETBs and finds Glasspool Mimic, Mirror Image, Protean Raider, or Phantasmal Image. They ETB as the Captain and the chain begins again.

Except the Captain doesn't say "on the battlefield" so even with those 4, pluss inkeeper you still need more hits in your deck becaue once you fall below twenty the card doesn't function. Also I don't thing Image is on arena.

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Dec 11, 2021

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Framboise posted:

I didn't download a helper thing or anything like that, but I decided to try my hand at Premier Draft more or less blind and got 3 wins. Apparently if I got 1 more win I'd just be a little short of being able to have the gems to run it again.

Bloodcrazed Socialite does some pretty good work.

Yeah it's a solid beater. Being able to generate blood is just generically pretty good even without specific payoffs because it's flood protection to turn lands into cards and gas up your late game.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Just played a 30+ minute game in Alchemy running a sacrifice deck vs another sacrifice deck where we both had a half dozen enchantments that drain the opponent when a creature dies or a blood is sacrificed and it was a miserable experience.

Here’s hoping this is not what the meta shapes up to be

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Drake No: Printing Lightning Bolt in Standard
Drake Yes: Printing a card that gives you infinite lightning bolts

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Top 4'd the local store champs with Modern Affinity in TYOOL 2021 lmao.

Got 4 foil collected company as well so now I can rotate them, with my OG foils. received them extremely loving pringled though. Thanks Wizards

This experience was much better than the other local stores championship which was MH2 draft, one pod of 6 and one pod of 8 with cross pod play. that was rancid.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Mike N Eich posted:

Just played a 30+ minute game in Alchemy running a sacrifice deck vs another sacrifice deck where we both had a half dozen enchantments that drain the opponent when a creature dies or a blood is sacrificed and it was a miserable experience.

Isn't this why you splash green for the Werewolf that eats enchants on attack?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Mike N Eich posted:

That is not Alchemy, that's just what historic is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Also yeah that's what happens when Food decks queue into each other. It's the risk you take if you're not packing something for the mirror.