Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I'm going to an (outdoor at a park) kids birthday party today for my niece and there are going to be people there that I haven't seen in like 18 months and the last thing they saw me say was either "gently caress cops" or "covids bad still".

trying to figure out how to navigate this.

Have fun being the only semi-responsible adult in attendance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

fosborb posted:

what's your source data? I might have time to script something later

https://healthdata.gov/dataset/COVID-19-Reported-Patient-Impact-and-Hospital-Capa/6xf2-c3ie

I pull this daily

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Cloaked posted:

and it’s not fun to do any activities unless we can do them exactly how we did them pre-pandemic. a request I made earlier on to watch a show together in a small group with masks (because for some reason doing a watch remotely would be too weird apparently, wtf) fell completely flat and they just started watching the show together without me a few weeks later. wouldn’t be quite the same if we had to wear masks, you know? nobody interested in hanging out on the outdoor covered porch thing I have access to, because that’d apparently also be weird. we didn’t do that before, right? and it’s cold now.

Why Am I So Tired posted:

This is the same exact situation I'm in. My wife and I have been 100% isolating since the start of the pandemic and are largely on the same page, but because I have even stronger feelings about it I'm a monster to her friends and family - they actually try to convince her that it's a sign of abuse that I "won't let her" join them in going out to eat, going to concerts, hanging out, flying all over the place, attend superspreading weddings, etc. Meanwhile, there's zero effort to do Zoom hangouts or anything. One couple will do a zoom call with her maybe once every four months where they just tell her about all of the weddings they went to and ask her "if she's ok."

Red MAGA hasn't tried to kill us yet, but Blue MAGA is certainly trying its hardest.

this right here has been driving me up the wall. recommending things that are "safer" like outdoor hangouts, dayhikes, snowshoeing, whatever--always ultimately dismissed or ignored because it's not sitting inside and watching movies or playing board games.

it's like making up for lost socialization isn't even the point--it's going through the motions of pre-pandemic life in spite of our reality now.

Insanite fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Dec 11, 2021

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
had the super chills and some joint pain but feeling better, definitely didn't feel as bad as the first two shots

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

This is the same exact situation I'm in. My wife and I have been 100% isolating since the start of the pandemic and are largely on the same page, but because I have even stronger feelings about it I'm a monster to her friends and family - they actually try to convince her that it's a sign of abuse that I "won't let her" join them in going out to eat, going to concerts, hanging out, flying all over the place, attend superspreading weddings, etc. Meanwhile, there's zero effort to do Zoom hangouts or anything. One couple will do a zoom call with her maybe once every four months where they just tell her about all of the weddings they went to and ask her "if she's ok."

Red MAGA hasn't tried to kill us yet, but Blue MAGA is certainly trying its hardest.

feeling really glad that my husband and I were hermits before COVID and could only be dragged to like 2-3 holidays per year at most and so everyone basically wrote us off real loving quick.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
Every time we fail to pump the brakes at an inflection point the length of the pandemic doubles. lol

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Haha

space chandeliers
Apr 8, 2008

silicone thrills posted:

feeling really glad that my husband and I were hermits before COVID and could only be dragged to like 2-3 holidays per year at most and so everyone basically wrote us off real loving quick.

fuckin a'

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Survival of the introvertest.

Gabagool
Jul 20, 2020

need to slam my head into a brick wall a few times to become one of those people that thinks feb 2020 was the halcyon days and hop on a cruise ship

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Mr Hootington posted:

He is right though. You should be questioning what these ghouls decree. They have been wrong or lied to us so often. That is his point with this tweet.

His open biden poo poo is dumb though.

I think you're confused. This isn't the thread where we carry water for brain damaged libs like greenwald.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

So we're still in "lockdown" till Monday, but skiing is open. Let's gooooo

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

silicone thrills posted:

We're hermits too, which makes it even more fascinating and infuriating - the people pressuring her the most to hang out are people she never / rarely saw in real life in the first place! Maybe once or twice a year for coffee or something. I haven't seen my family in over 4 years now and they live 3000 miles away, but they're constantly on my case about staying in.

I think our safety level makes it register to them on some level that their safety level isn't enough, so given that increasing their safety level is out of the question since that would get in the way of the life that they're used to / were promised, they have to attack ours.

Plus this.

Insanite posted:

it's like making up for lost socialization isn't even the point--it's going through the motions of pre-pandemic life in spite of our reality now.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I used to have people over to my house every week, big gatherings every month. Now I'm doing it all over Zoom, and the number of friends willing to come to one of my internet parties has dwindled from about 100 to less than 10.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Gripweed posted:

The other day I was at work, wearing a mask, a guy comes in and asks if he needs a mask to come in. I say no. He asks if he needs to show proof of vaccination, I say no. We talk about the business that brought him in, get that settled, he almost turns to leave but hesitates and asks if I'm vaccinated, I say yes. He asks if I had any side effects, I tell him just a sore arm. We talk about the side effects for a bit, he heard it can really knock some people on their rear end, etc. He seems oddly uncomfortable, I'm not really sure where this is going, but then he kinda reluctantly mentions he saw a video online that said some people got magnetized by the vaccine.
I tell him I hadn't checked myself but had not noticed anything like that. He still seems uncomfortable, so I pick up an allen wrench set that was on the desk and start tapping it against myself and he laughs but says it might be too heavy. I tell him I can't feel it pulling towards me at all. He seems genuinely relieved, thanks me for the help, and leaves.

I can’t remember who or when, didn’t a Dr Goon do a big, interesting effort post about how you can’t be magnetic and alive at the same time?

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Chamale posted:

I used to have people over to my house every week, big gatherings every month. Now I'm doing it all over Zoom, and the number of friends willing to come to one of my internet parties has dwindled from about 100 to less than 10.

a 100 person zoom party sounds loving awful tbh, though I have seen something that big work over Gatherly

xiaoren
Dec 9, 2021

navyjack posted:

I can’t remember who or when, didn’t a Dr Goon do a big, interesting effort post about how you can’t be magnetic and alive at the same time?

it sounds like it would do a number on your circulatory system, at the least

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Chamale posted:

That's because they're all back to living like its pre covid times. No need to internet party when you can succ n fucc irl

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Don't you doomers know that Joe Biden defeated COVID on January 20th 2021‽

A Spherical Sponge
Nov 28, 2010

Chamale posted:

tbf, zoom (and video conferencing in general) sucks. especially with more than a few people at once; everyone ends up talking over one another, whereas IRL you would just form smaller conversational groups you could freely switch between

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

T-Paine posted:

Have fun being the only semi-responsible adult in attendance

I'm gonna make my unvaccinated kid wear a mask and I'm sure he'll be the only one.

at least it's outside.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
The people I know seem to be somewhat more evenly divided on what's safe and what isn't, and the result is that it's just tearing everyone apart because the critical mass for huge social gatherings doesn't exist anymore and everyone is too old to find new friends.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

fosborb posted:

a 100 person zoom party sounds loving awful tbh, though I have seen something that big work over Gatherly

Fun zoom calls cap out at like, 5 people. Maybe

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I'm still on work calls with all the emergency medical systems people in my state and it is great hearing all of them talk about how understaffed they are and it's the governments fault for all the red tape and it has nothing to do with insufficient wages for a horribly demanding and emotionally draining job. No one is taking classes to become a paramedic and every private company is absolutely unmoveable in their belief that compensation is not the problem. One guy kept repeating "the median pay right now is $26/hour" as if that proved anything when you are talking exclusively about trying to onboard new kids who aren't going to make close to that starting out. 90% of new personnel are born after 1998 or something and they aren't stupid, they aren't going to scrape people off the highway and run Ubers for covid deaths for $15/hr and poo poo schedules. It's so insanely frustrating to actually be able to witness capital shove its head into the ground and cry about how unfair everything is when every rep on the call is an overpaid work-from-home little bitch.

ANYWAY I've been coping with covid by sticking my head in the sand, what's the tldr for omicron? Watched British Doctor Man last week and he told me that omicron was spreading like a motherfucker but wasn't leading to increased hospital admissions, that still true?

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

it's wild that we're back up to 2k deaths per day and it's not even noteworthy lol

hey, i wonder what's at the top of nytimes dot com toda--

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
:woop: Omicron detected in Ohio :woop:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Salt Fish posted:

His whole schtick, which I call "taint-reaping" is to pick something that's true, and then extend it in an obnoxious way trying to bait people into interacting with him so that he can get into an argument where specifically he will accuse you of contradicting the true thing even though you were pointing out that he was being obnoxious.

Yeah it is super annoying. He is an odious man.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

:woop: Omicron detected in Ohio :woop:
Ohiomicron!

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

:wom:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Insanite posted:

it's wild that we're back up to 2k deaths per day and it's not even noteworthy lol

It's good that everyone needs to "heal" from the thing that's still happening, is getting worse, and that's also being made worse by this particular brand of healing.

About to start a conspiracy theory that COVID was manufactured just so we could jolt the economy with "reopening." Forever.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Yeah all my friends and family are back to normal. They at least took boosters, but it might as well be 2019 again, with the exception that they're at least still wearing masks while out and about. But their social media and text chains are full of pictures of dining out together, getting drinks, going to the iMax, taking vacations.

Meanwhile my spouse and I who had cautiously started going back into stores for groceries/hardware after our booster (and wearing N95s) have gone back to curbside groceries and delivery, and have had to break the news to our families that we won't be in attendance for another Christmas, while everyone tells us, "Omicron isn't that bad".

And you know what? It may end up being milder, and I would *loving* love to be proven a paranoid crank and completely wrong. But until I actually see what happens a month or two from now, we're back on full lockdown mode, and probably will remain so until Paxlovid is widely available.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Insanite posted:

The magic 8 ball they're dancing inside of says... No.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

big cummers ONLY posted:

I'm still on work calls with all the emergency medical systems people in my state and it is great hearing all of them talk about how understaffed they are and it's the governments fault for all the red tape and it has nothing to do with insufficient wages for a horribly demanding and emotionally draining job. No one is taking classes to become a paramedic and every private company is absolutely unmoveable in their belief that compensation is not the problem. One guy kept repeating "the median pay right now is $26/hour" as if that proved anything when you are talking exclusively about trying to onboard new kids who aren't going to make close to that starting out. 90% of new personnel are born after 1998 or something and they aren't stupid, they aren't going to scrape people off the highway and run Ubers for covid deaths for $15/hr and poo poo schedules. It's so insanely frustrating to actually be able to witness capital shove its head into the ground and cry about how unfair everything is when every rep on the call is an overpaid work-from-home little bitch.

ANYWAY I've been coping with covid by sticking my head in the sand, what's the tldr for omicron? Watched British Doctor Man last week and he told me that omicron was spreading like a motherfucker but wasn't leading to increased hospital admissions, that still true?

we know it’s more transmissible. (2 day doubling in England, similar in SA)

We know it stunts the effectiveness of vaccines and monoclonal antibodies.

We know reinfections are a thing.

We know hospitalizations and icu bed usage started ticking up this week in South Africa.

We know excess deaths doubled this week vs last week in SA.

We know 20% of the healthcare workers in SA have been infected in 2.5 weeks. - This is one of the things that terrifies me the most.

We also know that we are in the beginnings of another delta wave, a national wave rather than regional so things aren’t looking good as omicron blows up

If you compare HHS data for December 2020 to 2021, you’ll see that we have 50,000 less staffed beds available due to burnout, anti vaxxers, and Covid deaths. You’ll also see that there are only 160,000 staffed beds left to fill and 40% of those are in CA/TX/FL/NY. You’ll also see that 1016 hospitals reported critical staffing shortages yesterday (and another 1100 didn’t report either way so it could be a lot worse) Now, imagine 20% of those beds disappear because omicron crippled the workforce.

SA skews younger so it makes sense cases are more mild. It also makes sense that vaccinated people have more mild cases.

We are about to see what happens when a nightmare strain (in terms of transmissibility) infects 100 million older, fatter, more unhealthy vaccine hesitant people in the US.

I am wondering what they mean by saying the booster is offering protection. Do they mean that it’s because most people got boosters on October or November or that it permanently protects? I ask because I got a booster in august so I want to know if I need another booster next month (lol) or if I’m ok

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

fosborb posted:

Not all at once, but like, 10 or 15 people would show up at one time and I'd see 100 people on Zoom over a couple months. Now most people are just living like covid is over and pretending our hospitals function

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Just wear a respirator and you'll be fine. I go to stores wearing a respirator. I go to the gym wearing a respirator. I've gone over to boardgame nights at friends' houses wearing a respirator. You can't eat or drink but you can absolutely be present with the people you care about. Covid isn't magic. It's a little particle of protein and RNA and a p100 filter will stop it.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Kylaer posted:

Just wear a respirator and you'll be fine. I go to stores wearing a respirator. I go to the gym wearing a respirator. I've gone over to boardgame nights at friends' houses wearing a respirator. You can't eat or drink but you can absolutely be present with the people you care about. Covid isn't magic. It's a little particle of protein and RNA and a p100 filter will stop it.

My larger problem is that without daycare I don't have time/energy for any of those things. I was the first person to stop attending Discord chats because I don't like any of my friends as much as I need sleep.

Edit: and other people talk about weddings or something and I get mad

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

big cummers ONLY posted:

Citing median pay is insane. Who gives a poo poo what the 30 year vets are making when I'm trying to get a job and I know I'll be laid off in 6 months because crunch time ended

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

big cummers ONLY posted:

ukhsa put out data on friday, here's a tldr by one of their personnel:
https://twitter.com/kallmemeg/status/1469351833416122369

no signs of decreased hospitalisation, lacking way too much data to make that assertion. it's spreading far faster than wildtype without precautions than now with vaccines and some precautions in place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy
GIMME FOOL GIMME LIAR GIMME FAUCI ON A PYRE, OOH