Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

so sorry about your birds csp, predators are awful and it's especially sad when all the others witness the act and are traumatised

ChaseSP posted:

It was a hen and the rooster we are replacing our older one with, a orange boy with wonderful poofy cheeks.
:unsmith: the line will survive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

good morning, have some frost orbs here this morning

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

So I got that Quail Party guide and it's both informative and adorable and sadly accurate:

:negative:

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
Baby Chick update pics:

Drama:

Thistle:

Truffle:

Parsnip:

Bucket:

Pebbles:

Barbados and Monaco:

they're growing so much, right now they're at the stage between peeps and clucks and most of them are starting to look like little adult chickens.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

They like you!

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Loving Truffle's eyeliner.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

my cat is norris posted:

They like you!

They're going to be such adorable trouble. :kimchi:

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

they are wonderful :love:

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Bucket is gonna take the world by storm.

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
today was their first day outside so here are a couple more courtesy of my partner

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

lmao that second pic

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

divine birds :h:

despite her clipped wings, a fool bumblebeed over the fence. she managed to get herself into a three-inch-wide gap between the neighbour's fence and their shed, which is entirely blocked off on both sides by ivy and shrubs. after ten minutes of swearing, i ended up having to fetch an emergency rooster to coax her out. it worked a treat, currawong immediately started crowing and quoll pobbled straight out to meet him of her own accord. yet again, i am left feeling like they are smarter than i am.

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

BHB posted:

(We rehomed Little Man with his breeder, and now he's one of their pet chickens)

Unfortunately, Little Man passed away to predators a while back (Tiny Man, who we still have, is totally fine), but he was very busy in his year or so back with his breeder and some of his children (and grandkids!) are absolutely gorgeous.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

:swoon:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I'm glad Little Man will live on through his absolutely stunning children :swoon:

Also glad the little puff survived her adventure

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

an egg posted:

fetch an emergency rooster to coax her out.

:bernget20:

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
:monocle: :love: at all these gloriously fancy birds.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

tiny man is still with us! at that size, every day that he remains in the world is a miracle and a gift :kimchi:

rest in peace, little man. you were a dragon

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Sometimes the girls get oatmeal on cold mornings.

Edit: I tried to take a good picture, but this terrible one captures how much they're moving around better.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Dec 9, 2021

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

stealie72 posted:

lucky ladies :kimchi:

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I've made mine a combo of oats and grits before.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

stealie72 posted:

Edit: I tried to take a good picture, but this terrible one captures how much they're moving around better.

:kimchi:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Aw, man. Reminds me of Judas, my Brahma/Silkie mix.

Against all odds, Jupiter and Venus are both laying again! Not daily, but I thought their laying days were over.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

stealie72 posted:

It was -2 F the other morning and we made oatmeal for the ducks. They looked at us like we were idiots. It then froze solid and they tried to eat it. We'll try again, it took them awhile to get into cracked corn so who knows?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Yooper posted:

They looked at us like we were idiots. It then froze solid and they tried to eat it.
birds.txt

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

birds really can just look at you like you're an idiot, no matter how ridiculously they behave

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

one of my girls tried to flap into my arms as I walked into the run the other day, but she missed and crashed into the gate next to me

she looked at me like I was such an idiot

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I don't remember if I posted about it in this thread or the birding thread but I had previously seen a large bird about 100 feet/30 meters up in a Douglas fir tree, well yesterday it was up in some deciduous tree where I could get a better look at it with binoculars and I think it was a freakin golden eagle. At first it kinda looked like an owl but the head shape is wrong so anyway I hope it doesn't fly off with one of my chickens.

e: it was a huge bird whatever it was.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

It snowed. Again. The ducks don't seem to mind though it's deep enough that they can't adventure anymore.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

e: it’s a sebright egg

freeedr fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Dec 11, 2021

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

Yooper posted:

It snowed. Again. The ducks don't seem to mind though it's deep enough that they can't adventure anymore.

that's so pretty!

freeedr posted:

e: it’s a sebright egg

omg so tiny, i think that's tinier than a Lil' Pep egg (which weighs in at 30 grams)

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

City of Glompton posted:

omg so tiny, i think that's tinier than a Lil' Pep egg (which weighs in at 30 grams)

It’s 23 grams, which is about median for Minny

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

Enfys posted:

one of my girls tried to flap into my arms as I walked into the run the other day, but she missed and crashed into the gate next to me

she looked at me like I was such an idiot
:3: i love hearing about affectionate relationships between chickens and humans

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
So there is like....a random chicken hanging around outside my apartment. I live in a pretty suburban area and have no idea where this chicken could have come from. It follows me a little when I get close so I guess it probably belongs to people? I don't think we're zoned for backyard chickens though.

What do I do, chicken goons????

effervescible fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Dec 15, 2021

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Congrats on your new chicken!

If you can catch her, please do. (She will need water ASAP.) If you can’t catch her, she will stay the night under a bush and run the risk of getting eaten. You can put her in a dog crate or your bathroom for a short time until you find the owner through the animal shelter or local Facebook groups or whatever.

Of course if they aren’t allowed where you are, you should do all this as quietly as possible to not alert the popo. The owner will probably give you eggs as a reward.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Not sure if I can catch her, but I searched and found a local backyard chicken Facebook group, thanks for the suggestion! They're locked, probably to keep things discreet, but I've reached out.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

effervescible posted:

So there is like....a random chicken hanging around outside my apartment. I live in a pretty suburban area and have no idea where this chicken could have come from. It follows me a little when I get close so I guess it probably belongs to people? I don't think we're zoned for backyard chickens though.

What do I do, chicken goons????

That’s a very cute chicken. Take it in and give it veggies and water (or whatever you have that’s suitable for a chook) and try to find the owner on the down low. Sorry about the poop

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Happy update!!!

A woman on the county backyard chicken group offered to take her in. She has two hens of the same breed in her flock and lives pretty close by so it seems kind of meant to be. (Re: zoning, apparently hens are allowed, but in the immediate area there are only apartments and commercial properties so I really have no idea how she made it here.) I hung out giving her some food and water to keep nearby, and then the rescuer and her son & friend arrived and helped corral her. If no one claims her, she'll join rescue lady's flock after getting a checkup, proper chicken introductions etc. The kids enjoyed getting to go on an adventure to rescue a chicken.

Further chicken tax:

Thanks for the advice folks! I am happy to have become a backyard chicken keeper myself, if only for half an hour or so. :3:

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
You're a good goose, effervescible. That's a great update. :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Yay, a happy ending! Thank you for looking out for her.
She's an adorable little one and looks to have moulted her tail feathers off.

Want to go hug my hens now, but it's half nine at night and they've been in bed five hours now.