Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I just can't see it as anything but TAR is all :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

i'm just gonna assume it's tel'a'rhan'rhiod until something that is in the show proper, and not an x-ray trivia fact, tells me otherwise

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Yeah, the X-Ray people may not be 100% right. For instance, there's reference to the Blues still "pursuing causes" in some of the notes while what we see on screen makes it clear the Blues in the show are the Tower's intelligence service. I'm sticking with the idea of it being TAR until I see or hear otherwise on screen, especially since the walls seemed hazy and dreamlike to me, above and beyond the idea of trying to keep a random hut in Tear secure for travelling back and forth to.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah TAR makes the most sense, especially given how it seems to obey literal dream logic: they have everything they need, they have no worries about security, etc

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

eke out posted:

yeah TAR makes the most sense, especially given how it seems to obey literal dream logic: they have everything they need, they have no worries about security, etc

Considering they are there bodily, and not just as a dream, they certainly do have security concerns! They just don't know how dangerous it is!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I hope the show ends up going all-in on the aes sedai not knowing anywhere near as much as they think they do.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Nitrousoxide posted:

Considering they are there bodily, and not just as a dream, they certainly do have security concerns! They just don't know how dangerous it is!

i legit hope this is the case and it's something some Wise One is going to be like "holy poo poo you loving idiot" about two seasons from now

(or even ishamael, depending on whether he gives a "lol i've been influencing siuan's dreams" explanation)

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

BigHead posted:

The laws of physics literally do not exist in Rand land.

Build a pulley system, suspend it in the air on something you magic up and tie a rope to one end of the thingy, then open a gateway from the river to the top of a water wheel which cranks the pulley system. The thing's unbreakable, so there's no OSHA violation to stand it on end so long as proper support exists so it doesn't blow over. Then open a gateway at the bottom, which opens up over the ocean (or over your worst enemy). Problem solved.

I'm pretty sure I did this exact thing in Factorio not too long ago.

Did, did you just create unlimited energy via gateway? Just infinite loop some water dropping on a water wheel. Bam, Age of Legends.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

latinotwink1997 posted:

Did, did you just create unlimited energy via gateway? Just infinite loop some water dropping on a water wheel. Bam, Age of Legends.

No need for that gateway nonsense, I've found this great subterranean power source beneath this island, we just need to Bore out way down there, it'll be easy.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

No need for that gateway nonsense, I've found this great subterranean power source beneath this island, we just need to Bore out way down there, it'll be easy.

sounds like a plan, beidomon!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Why were they even using a bore it doesn't even make sense. Like their big plan was to bore down and then uh? What?

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Hollismason posted:

Why were they even using a bore it doesn't even make sense. Like their big plan was to bore down and then uh? What?

get that oil taint

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Hollismason posted:

Then get access to the True Power. They were right about it being powerful and usable by both men and women, they just didn't know it was controlled by the Dark One and the reservoir of it was his crib

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

They dug too greedily and too deep

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Hargrimm posted:

It is really strange though that, with the Tower not knowing about Traveling or even Skimming yet, those paintings are the only safe method of faster-than-horse travel that Aes Sedai have access to, and they're just used for quick access to the Seat's personal hookup spot. Like it really reflects super badly on Siuan if she's comfortable keeping such a huge tool and research priority completely hidden away from everyone else. It's like if Alexander Graham Bell only ever bothered to build two telephones in secret, which he used exclusively to call up his mistress.

SerSpook posted:

i'm just gonna assume it's tel'a'rhan'rhiod until something that is in the show proper, and not an x-ray trivia fact, tells me otherwise

yeah, it makes no sense otherwise

coathat
May 21, 2007

It's silly they just didn't have them meet in normally like they did in the books.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Just give them some secret passage in the tower. East peasy.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

coathat posted:

It's silly they just didn't have them meet in normally like they did in the books.

I have to assume it's a change to set up future plot points without having to explain terangreal outright or something.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

silvergoose posted:

I have to assume it's a change to set up future plot points without having to explain terangreal outright or something.

Or Rule of Cool. If two badass lady wizards are getting together for some sexy times, having them get there with magic is more interesting. :shrug:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

jng2058 posted:

Or Rule of Cool:

I've just accepted that the show is gonna be a little less coherent but a lot hotter.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

they're gay married now and that's all that matters

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Hollismason posted:

It's a pun on how slow the plot moves in the middle books.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Nitrousoxide posted:

What happens if you weave the true power and the one power together?

(mashing hands together, making whooshing and explosion noises)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

jng2058 posted:

Or Rule of Cool. If two badass lady wizards are getting together for some sexy times, having them get there with magic is more interesting. :shrug:

That is very true

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I've just accepted that the show is gonna be a little less coherent but a lot hotter.

That is *very* true

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Nitrousoxide posted:

What happens if you weave the true power and the one power together?

That happened at the end, didn't it? Apparently it seals the Dark One away better

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

goethe.cx posted:

That happened at the end, didn't it? Apparently it seals the Dark One away better

It wasn't that it seals the dark on better, it prevented both halves of the source being tainted. They used the true power as a buffer so that the one power never actually touches the dark one this time.

coathat
May 21, 2007

silvergoose posted:

The real reason is that they needed a flashy scene transition to make it not seem as boring since it’s just another boring scene of two people talking to each other. Abysmally bad writing to have the drive to climax of the season being that suiane had a dream we don’t even see.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Mage_Boy posted:

It wasn't that it seals the dark on better, it prevented both halves of the source being tainted. They used the true power as a buffer so that the one power never actually touches the dark one this time.

when you clean your taint, you can't actually touch your taint

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

silvergoose posted:

That is *very* true

It's what Robert would have wanted

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I felt like it was about using the True Power to bend the pattern itself. Instead of plugging the hole with the One Power, witch lets the dark one rub up against it. It re-created what the creator did. Or else there'd be nothing to really bore a hole through in the next turning of the wheel.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's what Robert would have wanted

I'm hoping Harriet is giving notes to that effect, heh

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

using tp so that op doesn't touch taint

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

CainFortea posted:

I felt like it was about using the True Power to bend the pattern itself. Instead of plugging the hole with the One Power, witch lets the dark one rub up against it. It re-created what the creator did. Or else there'd be nothing to really bore a hole through in the next turning of the wheel.

Fel died too soon, I really loved his brief philosophizing.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

coathat posted:

if i were a wizard and needed to meet with my wizard wife secretly, i would actively refuse to get there using a normal route

coathat
May 21, 2007

I would simply use the magic picture instead of the ways to get to the eye of the world then.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it's been two decades but i thought i remember siuan using the power to decorate her chambers like back home, so i just assumed they were in her gussied up bedroom while watching the episode. did i make that part up in my head

also the book wiki says it's the oath rod that gives the aes sedai the ageless look and actually cuts their lifespans in half, which i totally forgot. now that i think about it there may have been members of the kin that are super old

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

i say swears online posted:

it's been two decades but i thought i remember siuan using the power to decorate her chambers like back home, so i just assumed they were in her gussied up bedroom while watching the episode. did i make that part up in my head

also the book wiki says it's the oath rod that gives the aes sedai the ageless look and actually cuts their lifespans in half, which i totally forgot. now that i think about it there may have been members of the kin that are super old

there were members of the kin older than any aes sedai lol

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

SerSpook posted:

there were members of the kin older than any aes sedai lol

who was the oldest living person

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i say swears online posted:

that was explicitly part of the revelations about it, yeah.

'oh gently caress this lady outside of the tower is older than literally anyone in it, what's up with that'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

look all i remember are the boobdaggers ok