Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
ECW was a cultural success and financial failure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Seams posted:

the velvet underground of wrasslin

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I wouldn't really call it a good cultural success either as the hardcore match style ended up causing havoc to wrestlers bodies

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I wouldn't really call it a good cultural success either as the hardcore match style ended up causing havoc to wrestlers bodies

Not to mention it reflecting the worst of the worst in 90s fan tendencies.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Influential =/= successful which was Bix's point I believe. Somebody came at him with 'nobody knew who Shane Douglas was before!!!!' which was funny.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
It was JobberNation being a dipshit as usual

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Alaois posted:

thats the angle you use to debut Jake Atlas, not Hook

Yeah I'd be into Jake vs Anna too

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/bullyray5150/status/1470232390786289667?s=20

I think Bully Ray just wants someone to say racial slurs on TV

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
does bully think he ever was that lol

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

bubba ray dudley MADE tommy dreamer, bro

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Benne posted:

https://twitter.com/bullyray5150/status/1470232390786289667?s=20

I think Bully Ray just wants someone to say racial slurs on TV

That's pretty unfair.

He also wants them to say homophobic slurs.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
bully ray getting laughed at in his face by a teenage girl he's calling a slut: "bro i'm fuckin workin these marks"

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Seams posted:

I still see people wearing ECW shirts to wrestling shows and nobody wearing WCW shirts

Also Tony Khan was a huge fan and still borrows booking from 90s Heyman

Yeah it was a financial failure but if all you're judging is money then you're dumb as hell

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

I still see people wearing ECW shirts to wrestling shows and nobody wearing WCW shirts

People still wear nWo shirts at shows

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

"A guy got lowered down from the Manhattan Ballroom and then was crowd-surfed to get in my face!" is what he'd reply, I'm sure, even if it was Gertner who was the one who riled the crowds and Bully just saying "AND I SLEPT WITH YOUR MOM!"

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

People still wear nWo shirts at shows

People see unity in rebellion and ECW was tge little rebel to WCW and WWF. Where one was southern style and the other sports entertainment it was ECW that broke all the rules - violence, swearing, sex, and from that actual passion. Its aged poorly because it was taking everything to extremes to be different but it opened a window to what was possible.

I can't go back and watch it because modern eyes see the flaws instantly but to remove it from its timeframe loses why it stood out. Naming other indies in the 90s is a fools errand, ECW changed things for better and worse. 20 years and most of the worst has been filtered out.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
famous indie the nWo.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
indie darlings Hulk Hogan & Kevin Nash, known for fighting the system.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
All those years of Hulk wrestling in bingo halls finally paying at WM18

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Are there still ECW and NWO shirts put out there in production or do they still have their shirts from back in the day? Because that would be ridiculously good shirt maintenance.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

TV Zombie posted:

Are there still ECW and NWO shirts put out there in production or do they still have their shirts from back in the day? Because that would be ridiculously good shirt maintenance.

Yes, they are sold by WWE. It's funny to me that some of their strongest brands are not even created by them originally.

I reckon some people still have older shirts or bootlegs.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

TV Zombie posted:

WWE still sells the old nWo shirts, including the Syxx Ball shirt I had in high school and kind of want again but gently caress giving them money.

They sell a couple of ECW shirts but probably won't sell the EC FN W shirt with their PG stance.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Always buy the bootleg nWo shirts. Esp the ones with Bugs and Daffey.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

TV Zombie posted:

most of what you see is made by WWE but there is a large vintage wrestling shirt market and also a decent amount of people on instagram and the like that make and sell reproductions of (as well as some new takes on) classic wrestling shirts

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

If they sold a BWO shirt...it'd be tempting to give the bad corp money.

I always wanted that "beat me if you can...survive if I let you" taz shirt

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Dat's HOOK right dere

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Finally, a WCW ref who won't botch a fast count.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
That is such a weird image. Like they probably can't or won't allow depictions of Looney Tunes characters being knocked out, at least not on shirts, so Foghorn is just.....laying there protesting?

Cult of Pies
Oct 2, 2021

TV Zombie posted:

Pretty sure Blue Meanie has that up in his Pro Wrestling Tees store

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

ECW Arena worked Bubba into a shoot.

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

https://mobile.twitter.com/CounselorDT/status/1470397152786624518

#shareholders

e: What was going on in September 2018 and April 2019 for WWE?

September 2018 was right before the first Crown Jewel, big loving drop in October. Was that due to the Khashoggi news? April 2019 was Wrestlemania 35, I guess.

Destroy My Sweater fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Dec 13, 2021

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

TV Zombie posted:

I always wanted that "beat me if you can...survive if I let you" taz shirt

https://www.prowrestlingtees.com/catalog/product/view/id/28131/s/blue-world-order/category/3439/

https://www.prowrestlingtees.com/catalog/product/view/id/28132/s/blue-world-order-white-t-shirt/category/3439/

he has a couple of different ones, including a bWo Japan one and a Christmas one.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Destroy My Sweater posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/CounselorDT/status/1470397152786624518

#shareholders

e: What was going on in September 2018 and April 2019 for WWE?

September 2018 was right before the first Crown Jewel, big loving drop in October. Was that due to the Khashoggi news? April 2019 was Wrestlemania 35, I guess.

IIRC the September 2018 drop was because there was a delayed payment from the Saudis. April 2019 is because the WM gate/earnings weren’t reflected in that quarters reports.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

This is obviously just trollbait, but God is it loving grim. https://twitter.com/jwac2046/status/1470483586755309574?t=PBJ91TbK7XAp-P7arOXbYg&s=19

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I think 2019 was when Network subscriber numbers started shrinking compared to the previous year.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/GreatBrianLast/status/1470437409686970369

Last ecstatic at somebody setting the bar even lower.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Kennel posted:

I think 2019 was when Network subscriber numbers started shrinking compared to the previous year.

unsubscribing was pretty much the last way fans could voice their displeasure with the product.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/ToruYanoFanAcct/status/1470492629569785862?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
If the dude looks up and relates to the Miz for overcoming those bullying assholes Benoit and JBL then good for him.