Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

SuperKlaus posted:

And I cannot find conclusive information on whether my 3M 6000 series half mask exhalation valve provides source control. I do note that 3M sells an exhalation valve filter accessory. So, until I obtain that accessory, I had best manage to get a cloth mask on over my 3M 6000 series half mask, for others' sake, correct?

Don't worry so much about it. I have absolutely no intention of filtering my exhale valve. If other people are wearing masks that are properly protective, it doesn't matter if my exhalation is filtered or not, they don't have to worry about catching covid. If they aren't wearing masks that are properly protective, they're declaring to the world that they're fine with catching covid, and any complaint about my exhale valve is purely performative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I wonder if the larger a business is the more likely they are to put in place a real (no napkin scrawl exemption) mandate because it’s an easy way to fire for cause a portion of their workforce that probably trends older and higher paid and also are discipline problems in general. But smaller places are more likely to just give in either because the owner is a chud themselves or because they think they can’t afford to lose key people.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Ice Phisherman posted:

Survival of the introvertest.

the pandemic has really brought out all the fakers who used to claim to be introverts to bask in all the social capital afforded to introverts.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Stereotype posted:

it's funny that trump was 100% right when he predicted that covid would be declared over the moment he lost lmao

of course
just like benghazi and obama/clinton

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
Vaccine hesitancy among pro athletes + a variant that has high immune escape so natural immunity won't cut it + everyone in incredibly close proximity in huge arenas is going to be a thing, let me tell you.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

i feel like the over/under on number of NBA teams that can't play by Christmas is like.. 15

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Schnorkles posted:

there are multiple huge covid outbreaks in the EPL right now, kinda wonder if that's what is prompting Bojo's alarmism

Eastern Plaguelands?

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Tzen posted:

it's truly amazing how stupid everything is

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/CDCgov/status/1470456993433407503
lmao

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

people just want to gently caress and suck til they die

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

you cancelled suck and gently caress summer, you cancelled suck and gently caress brunch

but suck and gently caress christmas will not be denied

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

I don’t bother putting anything over my exhale valve any more. Remember when they insisted that cloth masks were to protect others? Well no one is protecting others at all, so gently caress ‘em.

Would be cool to be able to wear an elastomeric on an airplane and be able to go somewhere someday, but I’m guessing even those MSA masks with no exhale valve would be shut down for looking too weird.

Stereotype posted:

it's funny that trump was 100% right when he predicted that covid would be declared over the moment he lost lmao

Lol yeah. We will never have a good President, so I can only hope we get another funny one.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

That's the dream!

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

It's a good thing my city spent all its good will on enforcing strict long term lockdowns for less severe strains and now no one is gonna comply if they try another one, especially after the dude in charge said no more lockdowns ever to save his own political career.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Thoguh posted:

I wonder if the larger a business is the more likely they are to put in place a real (no napkin scrawl exemption) mandate because it’s an easy way to fire for cause a portion of their workforce that probably trends older and higher paid and also are discipline problems in general. But smaller places are more likely to just give in either because the owner is a chud themselves or because they think they can’t afford to lose key people.

What are you seeing? I think we both work Def/Aero

I’m at a big Defense national and like all of these, they can’t compete with tech/bio/finance in the cities, don’t pay enough to keep young talent in chud-land, so my take is they were loving relieved to get rid of it. Any other situation then yea it’s trying to buy out the older people with pensions, but I’m not seeing that yet I don’t think.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Thoguh posted:

My company has a mandate but if you declined to attest to your status it's just implied HR will contact you 1-on-1. This would presumably let them manage all the exceptions/accommodations privately. And it means anybody else has no way of knowing how many of their co-workers have exemptions or how often they're actually testing.

At least they re-enforced masks to meet CDC guidance... 3 months after we reached the high transmission status in this county.

Marlow
Jan 11, 2007

Foreign dokaebi

:coronatoot: Covid is over! :coronatoot:

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Kylaer posted:

Don't worry so much about it. I have absolutely no intention of filtering my exhale valve. If other people are wearing masks that are properly protective, it doesn't matter if my exhalation is filtered or not, they don't have to worry about catching covid. If they aren't wearing masks that are properly protective, they're declaring to the world that they're fine with catching covid, and any complaint about my exhale valve is purely performative.

keeping the rhetoric simple and blunt is good, but not everyone gets a choice in whether to make that declaration. I would like to filter my exhalation if it's possible.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

This text on the one where the trolley is plowing through the track covered in people

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Schnorkles posted:

Vaccine hesitancy among pro athletes + a variant that has high immune escape so natural immunity won't cut it + everyone in incredibly close proximity in huge arenas is going to be a thing, let me tell you.

I'm also thinking about some passing comment made in a long gone iteration of this thread: Hockey fields have some magical thermal/density gradient that will conveniently keep virus particles right around face level.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Crazyweasel posted:

What are you seeing? I think we both work Def/Aero

I’m at a big Defense national and like all of these, they can’t compete with tech/bio/finance in the cities, don’t pay enough to keep young talent in chud-land, so my take is they were loving relieved to get rid of it. Any other situation then yea it’s trying to buy out the older people with pensions, but I’m not seeing that yet I don’t think.

We haven’t lost anybody in my area but I dunno how quickly they are removing people vs giving them time to reconsider. I would guess that companies that are pure defense stuff are seeing more issues since that’s chud central.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Norway bans serving of alcohol in bid to halt Omicron outbreak

https://news.trust.org/item/20211213191518-an8m4

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Mr Bedford discusses what's necessary for Delta+Omicron to co-exist:
https://twitter.com/trvrb/status/1470420195567030274
Very strange to hope that Omicron is in fact able to fully and permanently displace Delta. Would actually be a very good outcome, suggesting a booster based on Omicron would also help with the other variants. That's a whole 3-4 months additional protection!

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

It's a good thing my city spent all its good will on enforcing strict long term lockdowns for less severe strains and now no one is gonna comply if they try another one, especially after the dude in charge said no more lockdowns ever to save his own political career.
The pandemic trajectory of Aus+NZ would be very funny were it not for the uncontrolled spread of serious disease. Just incredible comedic timing, vaccinating everyone and opening up the precise moment a vaccine-evading variant starts tearing around the world.

Didn't Australia's zero-COVID policy ultimately fail because no-one thought the limo guy driving international arrivals to their quarantine hotel would get infected? You honestly couldn't make this all up.

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1470466951470206978

lol

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

I'm also thinking about some passing comment made in a long gone iteration of this thread: Hockey fields have some magical thermal/density gradient that will conveniently keep virus particles right around face level.

open biden

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

these are big loving drugs with really nasty side effect profiles. i don't think you want the fda to rush approval of any sort on these.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Golli posted:

Norway bans serving of alcohol in bid to halt Omicron outbreak

https://news.trust.org/item/20211213191518-an8m4

god imagine if that happened here in the states, people would riot

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Evil_Greven posted:

of course
just like benghazi and obama/clinton

liberals are worse than conservatives because at least when conservatives instantly drop fake scandals after they win to falsely project the image that they have instantaneously and miraculously made things better by winning the made up scandals are actually fake, so ignoring them doesn't matter. liberals do exactly the same thing but drop important issues like biosphere collapse and the student debt crisis and refugee concentration camps and the deadly global pandemic.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Paradoxish posted:

I wish to both stop COVID and destroy the economy, as this combination has the highest potential to save the most lives

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nocturtle posted:

Very strange to hope that Omicron is in fact able to fully and permanently displace Delta. Would actually be a very good outcome, suggesting a booster based on Omicron would also help with the other variants. That's a whole 3-4 months additional protection!

There was a blurb in one of the articles last week that Moderna's going to try and engineer more than one COVID variant into the next booster

But I have no idea if that would even work - I'd assume it would be Omicron and Wild Type included, maybe more - their flu/RSV/COVID technology allows for 4 strains last I checked

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

From the same bozos who couldn't make up their minds if booster shots made sense.

That drug only had 30% efficacy in reducing severe COV19, not to mention the risk of mutagenic side effects.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Nocturtle posted:

https://twitter.com/trvrb/status/1470420195567030274

The pandemic trajectory of Aus+NZ would be very funny were it not for the uncontrolled spread of serious disease. Just incredible comedic timing, vaccinating everyone and opening up the precise moment a vaccine-evading variant starts tearing around the world.

Didn't Australia's zero-COVID policy ultimately fail because no-one thought the limo guy driving international arrivals to their quarantine hotel would get infected? You honestly couldn't make this all up.

Sounds like that would give something else a chance to outcompete delta in delta's ecological niche while cases are suppressed from the Omicron surge. I'll put my money on that.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
it's funny that we are just normalizing a sustained 20% increase in yearly deaths.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Barry Foster posted:

Take Shelter (2011). Seriously watch it, it's really good and I can't think of a more appropriate film in these times.

Michael Shannon absolutely slays in it, like he does in literally everything

E fb but yeah give it a go

p sure Michael Shannon is my actual favorite actor, the dude can only hit homers

ever see Revolutionary Road? don't, it's terrible. but Shannon has an angry monologue scene that is absolutely outstanding.

edit here it is: https://youtu.be/Z3oLFDCy37s

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

mawarannahr posted:

the pandemic has really brought out all the fakers who used to claim to be introverts to bask in all the social capital afforded to introverts.

Ok, this thread has gone too far now. Introverts have social capital?! Where the gently caress is my chec k

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

cgeq posted:

Ok, this thread has gone too far now. Introverts have social capital?! Where the gently caress is my chec k

It's social capital, you cash it in at Applebees not a bank.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
I went to the grocery store here in MN last night, and there were but a handful of people wearing masks. Cases and deaths started to skyrocket a month or two ago. loving Minneahonkies, wear your masks indoors and stop congregating at your Taco John's suck n fucks.

https://www.medcitybeat.com/news-blog/2021/mn-hospitals-plead-for-publics-help-amid-surge-in-hospitalizations

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mdemone posted:

ever see Revolutionary Road? don't, it's terrible.

all I remember is the ending and a comically short sex scene

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Pfizer #4 in the books.

Looking forward to my mild protection.

I am the 1% :c00l:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Stereotype posted:

it's funny that we are just normalizing a sustained 20% increase in yearly deaths.

It's fine. We're balancing that by banning abortion (for the poors)