Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Thing that happened today: UNIX admin is having a problem. Customer grabs me (infrastructure architect and VMware guy, UNIX background but not directly involved in UNIX stuff since 2012) and asks me to look at it. I feel weird as hell when that happens because I'm not the UNIX guy's boss, I've never performed the task he's working on, and honestly it seems kind of insulting to him to bring me in rather than escalating to the UNIX team's manager. This is weird, right? I'm not just being neurotic about org charts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Zorak of Michigan posted:

This is weird, right?
Definitely weird, but not completely crazy. Maybe they trust you? Maybe they don't trust that entire team? Either way, just politely suggest that they contact UNIX admin's manager and move on with your day.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Roundboy posted:

Will always remain one of my favorite quotes that still holds true to this day, and probably will for a long time.

A modern LTO-9 tape holds 18 TB of data, and weighs approximately half a pound with the protective case on it. A 1995 Toyota Corolla E100 Station wagon has a total cargo capacity of right around 1000 pounds. That gives our shitbox craigslist station wagon a theoretical transfer rate of 36 Petabytes per load. If you had to drive from the fedex hub in Memphis, TN to Facebook HQ in Silicon Valley, you'd have a rough throughput of 19TB/minute or 330GB/sec.

There's a reason why when you get to the PB level, most providers are willing to just ship you a pelican roadie case and tell you to fill it with tapes. Fastest way possible to get that much data anywhere outside of CERN.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

There's a reason why when you get to the PB level, most providers are willing to just ship you a pelican roadie case and tell you to fill it with tapes. Fastest way possible to get that much data anywhere outside of CERN.
AWS will send a semi truck hauling a containerized datacenter if you need to load more than 10PB.
https://aws.amazon.com/snowmobile/

I'd be really curious to find out how often this actually gets used. Their FAQ discusses using 10 of them at a time to load an exabyte in to AWS, which implies they have a large enough fleet to support that as a normal use case.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

wolrah posted:

AWS will send a semi truck hauling a containerized datacenter if you need to load more than 10PB.
https://aws.amazon.com/snowmobile/

I'd be really curious to find out how often this actually gets used. Their FAQ discusses using 10 of them at a time to load an exabyte in to AWS, which implies they have a large enough fleet to support that as a normal use case.

my fairly small company has dealt with their smaller version, which is actually really cool. it has a LCD screen that just switches to the shipping label when its time

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

RFC2324 posted:

my fairly small company has dealt with their smaller version, which is actually really cool. it has a LCD screen that just switches to the shipping label when its time
The Snowcone and Snowball devices are neat as hell, especially with the compute functionality which seems like it could be really useful for testing or remote environments.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
I'm gonna whine for a bit:

The new job kinda sucks because they keep pulling me into helpdesk to put out fires because the tech that replaced me is, to put it nicely, dogshit at the position.

I currently have five new clients we're trying to onboard that I'm trying to coordinate. One of these sites is being held hostage by their current MSP who is basically claiming HaaS down to the pre-existing cabling in the building. They refuse to give us even scant information about their current servers and network equipment claiming that the configuration is their "secret sauce." They're planning on only handing over data the day they terminate services, and will also be bullying the client into purchasing all the hardware from them at a premium. So I'm trying to figure out how the gently caress I'm going to make this a seamless transition and I don't think it's possible. Current plan is to rip and replace and let the current IT think they've got the upper hand, and then we'll just be ready to go live with all new equipment and they can keep their old bullshit. The owner of the business is on-board, but it's just a loving lot to deal with on its own, much less with the other onboardings and having to do loving HELPDESK.

I don't really have the luxury of saying no to that one because I'm hopeless and a people pleaser.

I've also got surgery coming up next week that's going to keep me from traveling for the next month or so, so I've also got to coordinate a proxy to do onsites for me while I work remotely, which is just an added complication.

I'm really tired of working in tech, I think. Every job I've had has been nonstop stress and me being taken advantage of. What's the opposite of tech? Mushrooms?

Yeah. I'm gonna grow mushrooms in the woods. Be a witch.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

larchesdanrew posted:

Yeah. I'm gonna grow mushrooms in the woods. Be a witch.

Hell yes.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The IT -> witchcraft pipeline

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
enchant, transfigure, levitate

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

For you I'd venture into the Lost Woods to find a mushroom for your brew, one that smells of sweet rotten fruit...

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Can you imagine being able to place a curse on users :allears:

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

larchesdanrew posted:

I currently have five new clients we're trying to onboard that I'm trying to coordinate. One of these sites is being held hostage by their current MSP who is basically claiming HaaS down to the pre-existing cabling in the building. They refuse to give us even scant information about their current servers and network equipment claiming that the configuration is their "secret sauce." They're planning on only handing over data the day they terminate services, and will also be bullying the client into purchasing all the hardware from them at a premium. So I'm trying to figure out how the gently caress I'm going to make this a seamless transition and I don't think it's possible. Current plan is to rip and replace and let the current IT think they've got the upper hand, and then we'll just be ready to go live with all new equipment and they can keep their old bullshit. The owner of the business is on-board, but it's just a loving lot to deal with on its own, much less with the other onboardings and having to do loving HELPDESK.
I'm sure you know this already but there might be more junior people reading this that don't: it is not your job to save the day and make everything perfectly seamless. Yes, if you can manage it without killing yourself (figuratively or literally) then of course you should, but this other IT company putting your client in a lovely situation has nothing to do with you. Your client was the one that made a lovely decision to hire them in the past and this is just another repercussion of that choice. Thankfully, they are trying to rectify it, but you can only do what you can do.

One thing that took me nearly 20 years in IT to come to grips with is that while we all want to be the saviors of our respective businesses, sometimes downtime happens. Sometimes outages happen. Everyone in our respective businesses have had their Facebook account inaccessible, they've had their home internet go down, etc. They understand that sometimes, no matter what, poo poo breaks. And yes, of course, there are going to be the people that are pissed that their report is going to be a day late, but no one is going to actually die. They'll get over it. Do your best to minimize any problems, but sometimes externalities like this lovely IT provider make it impossible for us to maintain our perfect uptime.

You're doing your best and that's all that anyone can ask of you.

You got this.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

larchesdanrew posted:

My users are already cursed

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

nexxai posted:

One thing that took me nearly 20 years in IT to come to grips with is that while we all want to be the saviors of our respective businesses, sometimes downtime happens. Sometimes outages happen.

You got this.

This is worth repeating. As I've gotten further in my career I refuse to make miracles happen anymore for the most part.

I'm getting asked a lot of questions today about my companies vulnerability to Log4J. I've done what I can with the tools at my disposal, identified and documented the huge gaps in coverage, and forwarded the info onto management. If they want better results they can invest into the security program.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

larchesdanrew posted:

What's the opposite of tech? Mushrooms?
Well both are kept in the dark and fed poo poo so perhaps not all that different?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
It's also going to be nice that you get to buy and implement what you want, and not have to be beholden to whatever bad decisions the MSP made. That is super unprofessional of them, though, wow. Contracts end, get over it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

nexxai posted:

I'm sure you know this already but there might be more junior people reading this that don't: it is not your job to save the day and make everything perfectly seamless. Yes, if you can manage it without killing yourself (figuratively or literally) then of course you should, but this other IT company putting your client in a lovely situation has nothing to do with you. Your client was the one that made a lovely decision to hire them in the past and this is just another repercussion of that choice. Thankfully, they are trying to rectify it, but you can only do what you can do.

One thing that took me nearly 20 years in IT to come to grips with is that while we all want to be the saviors of our respective businesses, sometimes downtime happens. Sometimes outages happen. Everyone in our respective businesses have had their Facebook account inaccessible, they've had their home internet go down, etc. They understand that sometimes, no matter what, poo poo breaks. And yes, of course, there are going to be the people that are pissed that their report is going to be a day late, but no one is going to actually die. They'll get over it. Do your best to minimize any problems, but sometimes externalities like this lovely IT provider make it impossible for us to maintain our perfect uptime.

You got this.

This is good and I second it. Also a really important thing to bear in mind is that not everything is possible or should be done. Plumbers will tell their clients that sewers can't drain uphill and they are believed, but people will bikeshed IT stuff all day long If you get a request that is insane then figuring out the best way to say "no" is often the correct way to approach it when the alternative is building a load of hacky scripts that nobody after you will be able to maintain.

MSP stuff: Who signs a contract for HaaS that includes the cabling in the walls, lmao.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Thanks Ants posted:

MSP stuff: Who signs a contract for HaaS that includes the cabling in the walls, lmao.

Presumably, a small-to-medium business owner who isn't paying that much attention to the details, just the dollar signs.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

larchesdanrew posted:

I curse at them after I hang up the phone, does that count?

Also :yotj: just put signature to digital paper on a new position that's a 45% raise and a 2% higher annual bonus. More responsibility, people reporting to me, it's a big step forward and I'm loving stoked.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Congrats!

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

The Iron Rose posted:

enchant, transfigure, levitate

Reduce, reuse, re - well

maybe witchcraft is like tech after all.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

larchesdanrew posted:

New Ticket Comment ;

May reading these words drat your wretched soul forever and the dread lord of hell come forth through your monitor to claim you.

Customer Satisfaction rating: 666

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Thanks Ants posted:

This is good and I second it. Also a really important thing to bear in mind is that not everything is possible or should be done. Plumbers will tell their clients that sewers can't drain uphill and they are believed, but people will bikeshed IT stuff all day long If you get a request that is insane then figuring out the best way to say "no" is often the correct way to approach it when the alternative is building a load of hacky scripts that nobody after you will be able to maintain.

this has been a hard learning for me - i'm walking away from a job after building completely bonkers things on top of saas platforms that fundamentally don't support it, and i'm getting a whole bunch of 'well, you should keep on supporting this after you go because we can't find anyone who can look after it' pressure.

It's kind of a psychological trap for tech people I think because, after all, there isn't much that isn't *technically* possible.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

xiw posted:

'well, you should keep on supporting this after you go because we can't find anyone who can look after it'.
Response: 'You should pay me my current rate after I'm gone to keep supporting it".

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

quote:

We have a customer (Parker Hannifin) whose portal works best with Internet Explorer. I've tried Chrome, Edge, and Firefox with no success. If I can get a copy added to my computer, that would help tremendously.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

xiw posted:

this has been a hard learning for me - i'm walking away from a job after building completely bonkers things on top of saas platforms that fundamentally don't support it, and i'm getting a whole bunch of 'well, you should keep on supporting this after you go because we can't find anyone who can look after it' pressure.

It's kind of a psychological trap for tech people I think because, after all, there isn't much that isn't *technically* possible.

lol tell them to pound sand. What happens after you're gone is their problem. The only thing you should be responsible for is documenting the environment or just making life easier for them after you're gone.

Unless you're trying to sabotage the company's infrastructure you can just let go once you're done.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Talking about "a copy" of software is some boomer rear end poo poo

i'll just purchase a copy of Netscape Navigator at my local newsstand

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Data Graham posted:

Talking about "a copy" of software is some boomer rear end poo poo

i'll just purchase a copy of Netscape Navigator at my local newsstand

2/3rds of our staff is probably around age 60

:corsair:

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Bob Morales posted:

My users are already cursed

The users are the curse. :witch:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Even better:

quote:

Hello, I am missing the Drawings for the testing room Structure. Can you have someone from IT install them onto my computer.

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer

A liar posted:

My laptop screen got big glitch, What I did was 1st my laptop has been frozen and then l have restarted my laptop and then I see the my laptop screen with glitch. I don’t have any idea what do now... can you please suggest.

I suggest you tell the truth, maybe? I mean, poo poo happens; our organization is chill, you're not gonna get fired over an accident. Just don't loving lie to us so obviously, please?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

classic closed-lid-on-thing pattern there

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

MacBooks are the worst at that. I had a teacher break a screen with a stack of stapled paper (probably less than 5 sheets)

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Buff Hardback posted:

MacBooks are the worst at that. I had a teacher break a screen with a stack of stapled paper (probably less than 5 sheets)

Ooo, wonder if my company would just give me another one or i could get a real computer as a replacement. Ive been trying to get something not garbage for a year now

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

RFC2324 posted:

Ooo, wonder if my company would just give me another one or i could get a real computer as a replacement. Ive been trying to get something not garbage for a year now

We just AppleCare for business'd it so probably another one?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Just say you are allergic to apples. :v:

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
So, anyone here working for Kronos?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

The Cubelodyte posted:

I suggest you tell the truth, maybe? I mean, poo poo happens; our organization is chill, you're not gonna get fired over an accident. Just don't loving lie to us so obviously, please?

This, but given the incredible cluelessness of some people, it’s genuinely possible that they don’t know what that is or how they did it.

Most of my users know to just fricking tell me. We have to fix or replace it, pretty much by law, and we can’t penalize them for it, also by law, other than firing them if the manage to do it often enough to matter.
It’s like $200 to replace a Dell display including the service call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Polite, problem statement up front, previous attempts to resolve described. This is a perfect ticket for a low skill user.