Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

lol

I should probably be carrying a portable little fan with me when I'm in the schools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

tenderjerk posted:

lol how are home tests not price-controlled

A binax test I bought for $20 (which is still absurd) a few months ago is now $26 at the same grocery store

I know they don't want to send out free kids but goddamn how about some consumer regulation

the only thing in america that's price controlled is bell peppers, so that they never dip below $1 each.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

facetoucher cat posted:

But it doesn't say that, read this

https://www.livemint.com/news/world/pfizer-covid-vaccine-cuts-omicron-hospitalisations-by-70-in-real-word-study-11639473376364.html

Yay that sounds good!

Okay, sweet, go on

Wait, what?

Uhh

So they're just guessing based off the number of verified Omicron infections and these 78k they're attributing to Omicron. I'm not convinced

Yeah it's bullshit. But get ready to hear alot about it

whiskey patrol
Feb 26, 2003
Tthe QCS crew is on it and going to fix teh DnD thread

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

i am harry posted:

the only thing in america that's price controlled is bell peppers, so that they never dip below $1 each.

I thought the same for cilantro and parsley, and they are still $1, but holy poo poo they're about half the product right now

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
It was only a few days. Why are people acting like this is a major deal? We were already seeing spikes in the US so it makes sense

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

I wonder what state that first case came from. We should find patient zero for Omicron and make them do a blood pact with Wang Commander.

imagine the possibilities of the Uber virus blood mingling with the giga vaxxed

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I find this surprising. Doesn't this mean, then, that Omicron may indeed not replace Delta and either be syndemic or simply sputter out? Like we're full Open Biden and this thing has been in America longer than it was South Africa, and yet insofar as can be told, Delta is still the dominant strain in the US.

South Africa had cases in early November, it just took a while before they identified them. Omicron is growing exponentially in the US and is set to pass Delta soon.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

IDK how dirty is too dirty lol.

But yeah I think they need replacing then. I mean I assume they stop working against plague? I don't care about other stuff, I just want to not die and worry about the other tenants in the building so yeah.
So back to my original point then; they don't make any version that's cleanable or whatever?

In my experience they don't last 90 days but I would think they'd last longer in a Cube.

No such thing as cleanable HVAC filters as far as I know.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

fosborb posted:

I thought the same for cilantro and parsley, and they are still $1, but holy poo poo they're about half the product right now

the american hellscape of vegetable shopping has forced me into repurposing some of my weed shed's space to grow herbs hydroponically

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Omicron evolved in the US and some rich idiot carried it to SA.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I find this surprising. Doesn't this mean, then, that Omicron may indeed not replace Delta and either be syndemic or simply sputter out? Like we're full Open Biden and this thing has been in America longer than it was South Africa, and yet insofar as can be told, Delta is still the dominant strain in the US.

Omicron was at 13% in Washington state a week ago, there's no way of telling where it's at now. Sequencing takes a while in the US so the data is always lagging a week or two

https://twitter.com/ByMikeBaker/status/1470536653252882434

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug

lol
lmao

are you down bc of the overwhelming crisis you've been confronting? just take some hallucinogens and wave that pain away. we need you back in the death mines so our health system execs can buy another vacay house. loving ghouls

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

Thoguh posted:

The reason that bringing up old posts is considered ‘doxxing’ in D&D is because reminding people that they have consistently been wrong about everything at every step makes feel sad.

If cspam posters could stop themselves from self immolating in that thread it would get like two posts a day and just die on the vine. Anyone who can’t stop themselves from touching the poop and getting probed is just being a dumbass and I don’t feel bad for them anymore.

sometimes i forget that forum exists and it's definitely for the best

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

fosborb posted:

lol of course

it's funny because this is another thing this thread was absolutely right about

every post here in the first few days was on the pointlessness of limited travel bans since it was almost guaranteed to be in the US and everywhere else already

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Cithen posted:

lol
lmao

are you down bc of the overwhelming crisis you've been confronting? just take some hallucinogens and wave that pain away. we need you back in the death mines so our health system execs can buy another vacay house. loving ghouls

LOL so many doctors are just gonna turn into cspammers after that. Mushrooms made me even more detached from hell world which is a good thing for coping.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

every post here in the first few days was on the pointlessness of limited travel bans since it was almost guaranteed to be in the US and everywhere else already
time has become an annual loop. this is "covid was in italy in november" from 2019

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

whiskey patrol posted:

It looks like they're estimating an Rt of 2.9 and a current doubling time of 1.6 days so I'm guessing the model thinks Illinois is getting rocked by omicron. MFF really kicked things off. Cases counts have been in the 5k-10k range the past week or two, so if this is correct Illinois should easily be pushing 20k daily cases this week (assuming testing capacity and utilization are high enough).

Illinois had been lagging behind the rest of the midwest and the worst hit regions were the southern ones from the delta wave, but I'm guessing this is going to hit Chicago and environs hard now. Masking is still universal in stores here at least (in Chicago proper) even if outdoors use is ~20%. So better than most places, but not going to be enough to stop omicron - bars, restaurants and everything else are still in full swing.

It totally is.

https://twitter.com/patricklsimpson/status/1470770210961514505?s=20

Thanksgiving COVID Hospitalizations vs now (Top 11, or everyone who has seen a 50% Increase)
Rhode Island: 123
CT: 348
DE: 188
IL: 2,003
MA: 669
MD: 813
NJ 925
NC: 1,207
AR: 351
MO:1259
IN: 1881

Now
Rhode Island: 267
CT: 658
DE: 336
IL: 3,463
MA: 1,136
MD: 1,345
NJ: 1,508
NC: 1,938
AR: 549
MO: 1944
IN: 2,900

Rounding out the top 15 are KY, SC, OK, and OH

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Paradoxish posted:

at this point it's just "the thing that's happened 4 times already is going to play out similarly the 5th time" and I'd say it's embarrassing to call that soothsaying, but so many others insist that no, this time it will be different

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

Not the OP but I recently ordered some from Home Depot and they arrived very quickly.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Aura-Particulate-Respirator-N95-Foldable-10-Pack-9205P-10-DC/316909322

nice thank you!

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I mean the US has always been two steps behind on sequencing the various strains of COVID, even before COVID ended (which it has).

Bearjew
Apr 18, 2017

Omicron will finish what Sherman started

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

i am harry posted:

time has become an annual loop. this is "covid was in italy in november" from 2019

people also still haven't seemed to internalize how long outbreaks actually take

it's not like "oh no here's a case, everything will explode in two days"

it's more like once you detect the cases you've already had an outbreak simmering under the radar and it's still going to take forever before it boils over, except now the limiting factor is sequencing and not testing

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
I went and looked in the bad thread for the first time this morning and lol

I need a drink

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

It's not surprising at all. You just need to keep in mind that the date it was first detected isn't the date it came into existence. The best estimates are that omicron started kicking off in South Africa in mid October. It likely had around a month of growth time (potentially 10 doublings, or even more) before being detected at all. By the time it was detected, it had already solidly established itself locally as well as seeded itself to other countries. The idea that omicron started somewhere other than South Africa is extremely unlikely.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Bearjew posted:

Omicron will finish what Sherman started

Inshallah.

I said it earlier but if there was a response, I missed it; but speaking of the depopulation of the South - is there any country on the planet besides ours with a situation like Florida? I don't mean a place full of fascists run by a death cultist, that's common, but I mean where you have an administrative division legit one level below 'the entire nation' that has just decided to not merely massage the numbers or even heavily falsify them, but straight up stopped reporting/lying entirely? Like is there any other country where there is a province level unit that's just saying they have no COVID whatsoever despite having some of the worst in that entire nation?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Crunchy Black posted:

I went and looked in the bad thread for the first time this morning and lol

I need a drink

the bar is right this way, sir, have a seat and enjoy

mystes
May 31, 2006

Kylaer posted:

It's not surprising at all. You just need to keep in mind that the date it was first detected isn't the date it came into existence. The best estimates are that omicron started kicking off in South Africa in mid October. It likely had around a month of growth time (potentially 10 doublings, or even more) before being detected at all. By the time it was detected, it had already solidly established itself locally as well as seeded itself to other countries. The idea that omicron started somewhere other than South Africa is extremely unlikely.
It's the same as theories about covid starting in alternate locations. Theoretically if the second person to get it immediately hopped on a plan and became a super spreader maybe it could somehow become more widespread somewhere else earlier, but realistically it's going to be the most widespread in the place where it originated earliest.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Just chewed someone out for whining about the news being saturated with covid stuff. Like Jesus christ you self centered prick. 820k Americans dying of a new disease in less than 2 years is a pretty big loving deal.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Thoguh posted:

The reason that bringing up old posts is considered ‘doxxing’ in D&D is because reminding people that they have consistently been wrong about everything at every step makes feel sad.

If cspam posters could stop themselves from self immolating in that thread it would get like two posts a day and just die on the vine. Anyone who can’t stop themselves from touching the poop and getting probed is just being a dumbass and I don’t feel bad for them anymore.

I am going to stop posting/reading that thread. I feel a little bad for anyone that lurks that thread for advice but tbh anyone who is suckling a D&D teat for that purpose deserves whatever foul poo poo comes out.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Inshallah.

I said it earlier but if there was a response, I missed it; but speaking of the depopulation of the South - is there any country on the planet besides ours with a situation like Florida? I don't mean a place full of fascists run by a death cultist, that's common, but I mean where you have an administrative division legit one level below 'the entire nation' that has just decided to not merely massage the numbers or even heavily falsify them, but straight up stopped reporting/lying entirely? Like is there any other country where there is a province level unit that's just saying they have no COVID whatsoever despite having some of the worst in that entire nation?

Florida seems to have stopped reporting on weekends, but they do still report covid numbers.

mystes
May 31, 2006

silicone thrills posted:

Just chewed someone out for whining about the news being saturated with covid stuff. Like Jesus christ you self centered prick. 820k Americans dying of a new disease in less than 2 years is a pretty big loving deal.
It's no 9/11 or war on christmas, lots of people have died in those

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Inshallah.

lmao

living in florida owns

*chuckles* i'm in danger

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

silicone thrills posted:

probably from the same crowd that bitched about trump news stories non-stop as it reminded them daily that everything is beyond hosed.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

McDonalds around LA county are starting to close their indoor dining, even without a county health order

the last time I went to mcdonald's an extra value meal was 2.99 lol

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

silicone thrills posted:

LOL so many doctors are just gonna turn into cspammers after that. Mushrooms made me even more detached from hell world which is a good thing for coping.

Did you do some small doses first to prep or did you go straight to the big dose? How many grams? If you feel like writing a bit about your experience and how it's helped you come to terms with this insane bullshit I would love to read it, I'm planning on taking a trip sometime after Christmas for similar reasons.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Louisgod posted:

probably from the same crowd that bitched about trump news stories non-stop as it reminded them daily that everything is beyond hosed.

gently caress like trumo news was kind of annoying since he effectively wasn't doing poo poo anyway. But this is real God drat substance.

Also I almost syq posted that dumbass in the other thread repeating that moronic line about covid getting weaker. Lmao

mystes
May 31, 2006

actionjackson posted:

the last time I went to mcdonald's an extra value meal was 2.99 lol
Just remember that it's not inflation because prices of food, medical treatment, and housing don't count, thank you.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Kylaer posted:

Yeah the Wikipedia timeline on omicron is some crazy reading: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_the_SARS-CoV-2_Omicron_variant

quote:

14–23 November
More than 70 percent of sequenced samples from Gauteng province in South Africa are Omicron, indicating that it already has become the dominant variant in the province.[9]

24 November
South Africa makes its first report of B.1.1.529 (as it is scientifically known) to WHO,[1] based on samples that had been collected from 14 to 16 November.[10]

The sequencing just can't keep up with this fucker, once you get any data it's already at least a week behind and omicron can get a lot done in a week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Chamale posted:

Florida seems to have stopped reporting on weekends, but they do still report covid numbers.

I could have sworn from the graphs and stuff that Florida had officially reached numbers of deaths akin to China?