Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Calaveron posted:

I'm gonna guess they did that because they weren't sure that they were gonna be able to make a FF7Re2 because lmao Square-Enix so they went ahead to give it a climax and conclusion that could've been its own thing.

It's possibly this but also, Sephiroth has been part of the public consciousness for almost 25 years. People who don't know FF7 still know Sephiroth and so Square kind of had to include him earlier than necessary.

Now should people who have never played the original play the remake? Absolutely not imo, but Square was still trying to get those dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

My one issue with Remake is that I don’t think the final boss should have been Sephiroth. That should have been saved for later.

From another perspective, I as a fan would have wanted to get a chance to actually face him as as swordsman on top of the Bizarro/Safer fight we got in the OG. And IIRC, Hamaguchi had them added in as the final boss in FF7R because he wanted to give fans that chance.

If FF7R2 ends at the City of the Ancients like what people are speculating, Jenova makes more sense as the final boss there since that was the case before which then deprives you of a chance to fight Sephiroth until the final battle.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sephiroth is gonna be the final boss of every 7R game.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Sephiroth is gonna be the final boss of every 7R game.
This. There's no way he's not going to be.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

7R also makes it clear that the Sephiroth you fight isn't the 'real' Sephiroth. It intentionally goes to a parallel to the end of the FF7 except Sephiroth stops it and the whole thing is taking place in a weird meta landscape anyway.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I feel Swordsman Sephiroth would have been the final battle you know where Cloud fights him alone. Just it would be a real fight.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Epi Lepi posted:

Now should people who have never played the original play the remake? Absolutely not imo, but Square was still trying to get those dollars.

I've got a friend who is completely blind on the original (they don't even know about Aerith) and they loved the remake, and are now staunchly refusing to play the original until after the remake is finished because they want the remake series to be their full first experience with the story.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Playing FF13 some more. I just got to the open areas of chapter 11. I don't understand the decision to make the game delete all my paradigms whenever i change my battle team. It's a pain in the rear end to redo everything anytime i feel the need to use someone else (usually Sazh as a synergist, my usual party is Fang/Vanille/Lightning).

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 12, 2021

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I combined the two medias I was consuming today
https://twitter.com/vgcartography/status/1470187932912959495?s=20

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

I feel Swordsman Sephiroth would have been the final battle you know where Cloud fights him alone. Just it would be a real fight.

Counterpoint: Aerith getting to say 'Screw him' to Sephiroth.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
sephiroth is now some weird metanarrative cancer poised to exploit FF7R's canon rewrite to make a Bad Guy Wins ending, it makes sense he'd be more ubiquitous in this new context

but the presentation was lacking. they needed a better voice actor and camera framing that played up his menace. his initial encounter with cloud in that alley fell totally flat

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

There's some Time Bullshit going on and now there's probably three Sephiroths running around. And, hell, if they make the Advent Children trio show up too, I think that could be fun.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

In Remake 2 you play a party of three Sephiroths trying to outwit those wacky Avalanche kids and their dog.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

FF7R2 is going to end at Nibelheim, clock it

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Can't wait for Blue the Blue and Red the Red to show up ahead of schedule too

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

FF7R2 is going to end at Nibelheim, clock it

Start and end. Begin with a playable version of the Kalm flashback, end in the actual town.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I should elaborate I don't mind Sepherioth's presence in the game. I just don't think he should have been fought before Cloud explained his beef with him.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
R2 changes Sephiroth's meltdown from being over being the "son" of Jenova to instead finding out he's going bald.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
His sword is bent.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Masamune - Made in Wutai

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

I want the pixel remaster for VI to come out now thanks.

Tell me when it's coming out Square please.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Calaveron posted:

I'm gonna guess they did that because they weren't sure that they were gonna be able to make a FF7Re2 because lmao Square-Enix so they went ahead to give it a climax and conclusion that could've been its own thing.

Eh not really considing its a time travelling sequel but i habe heard theres only gonna be 3 parts to it and its easy to see how that will go down (northern creator/weapon cliffhanger) part 3 starting in junon and big open world plus return to midgar and more.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Bongo Bill posted:

There's some Time Bullshit going on and now there's probably three Sephiroths running around. And, hell, if they make the Advent Children trio show up too, I think that could be fun.

The cinematic director said the 3 you fight at the end were the advent children trio and not og barret, cloud, aerith like people thought lol

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I can't believe the remake is really going the "Name everyone Sephiroth" route.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Whenever Sephiroth is not on the screen other characters should be asking "Where's Sephiroth?"

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

That chocobo gp game is actually looking pretty good

https://twitter.com/NintendoEurope/status/1470680237335797763?t=nW-OEsuR6XR0yDzm6UdW8Q&s=19

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
I still can't believe they named one of those aspects of Sephiroth after a loving milkshake.

E: I know people are thirsty for Sephiroth but this is ridiculous! :haw:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I can go for a Sephiroth Shake.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I need to kill Chaos...

https://twitter.com/fforigin/status/1470755706429083652

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

she looks cool. I wonder if there's going to be much more difference between party members if it's just another character for making a build with

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Part of the gilgaverse, definitely a mainline entry.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

grieving for Gandalf posted:

she looks cool. I wonder if there's going to be much more difference between party members if it's just another character for making a build with

I wonder if she joins your team after defeating her and her pirate crew for a ship.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Final Fantasy Megathread: an unwavering conviction that chaos must be defeated

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Five Warrior Fiesta.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

She looks cool.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

grieving for Gandalf posted:

In the demo I think characters had specific jobs/weapon types they could use so they were at least somewhat different from one another. Unless I missed something that let you build them however you want.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

is she gonna be tiamat? i mean, its obvious where this is going, then again. bullshit. so who knows. day 1 tho.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Vikar Jerome posted:

is she gonna be tiamat? i mean, its obvious where this is going, then again. bullshit. so who knows. day 1 tho.

They were kinda blindsided that the internet figured out that Jack is Garland, so I'm guessing they're not gonna try very hard to hide this twist either.

Anyway I'm glad Jack finally has a friend he can hate Chaos with together.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Kinda wanted to play FF7 again but playing it with no limitations seems, I dunno, kinda meh. At first I thought a low level run might be cool, but the problem with that is I'm pretty sure there's no way to gain AP without gaining EXP (at least maybe until disc 3?), meaning I'd be stuck with weak materia for nearly all the game, which isn't appealing to me. Then I wondered if maybe assigning classes to characters might be fun, limiting what materia they can equip based on a randomly assigned job.

I'm probably not the first person to think of creating "jobs" using materia but this is what I came up with just on my own, wanted to see what others thought.

Knight - Restore, Heal, Deathblow, Slash-All, Double Cut, Elemental (weapon), Added Effect (weapon), Counter, HP Absorb, Cover, Counter Attack, HP Plus

For Knight I figured I'd combine it with Mystic Knight (since it wouldn't have much interesting to do otherwise), obviously for Elemental to work you have to link it with a magic or summon materia, but the idea is you wouldn't be allowed to cast the magic directly, it only exists to power the element/status attack. It also gets a bit of white magic stuff to help be supportive to an extent.

Black Mage - Fire, Ice, Earth, Lightning, Transform, Exit, Poison, Gravity, Comet, Destruct, Contain, Ultima, W-Magic, Magic Counter, MP Absorb, MP Turbo, Quadra Magic, MP Plus, Magic Plus

White Mage - Restore, Heal, Revive, Seal, Mystify, Time, Barrier, Full Cure, Shield, W-Magic, W-Item, Sense, Final Attack, Quadra Magic, MP Plus, Magic Plus

A couple of interesting things here: Destruct was hard to place, since it contains DeBarrier and DeSpell (Dispel), and Dispel is usually a White Mage thing. However it also gets Death at its final level, which doesn't fit White Magic. It also seems needlessly complicated to go "White Mage can only use DeBarrier and Despell, Black Mage can only use Death" so I just gave it completely to Black Mage. In exchange I gave Time to White, Haste and Slow are generally white magic (when Time Mage doesn't exist) even if Stop isn't, but if Black Mage gets usual white spells I think it's fair to give White Mage a usual black spell. White Mage also gets W-Item for a bit of Chemist flavor, and Sense because Libra is also usually a white magic thing. Final Attack goes to White as well for linking with Revive, because that's fun.

Summoner - Fire, Ice, Lightning, Restore, Heal, all Summon materia, W-Summon, Final Attack, Magic Counter, MP Absorb, MP Turbo, MP Plus, Magic Plus, HP<->MP

Summoner gets the three basic black magic spells and healing because otherwise it wouldn't have poo poo it could do in Midgar, given the first summon you get isn't until the Chocobo Ranch. This makes it kind of almost a Red Mage at the start of the game, too, besides previous FF games have had summoners associated with black magic (Rydia) and white magic (kid Rydia, Garnet/Eiko, Yuna) so it still feels like it fits.

Ninja - Seal, Mystify, Transform, W-Item, Steal, Throw, Added Effect (weapon), Counter, Added Cut, Magic Counter, Sneak Attack, Pre-Emptive, Steal As Well, Long Range, Speed Plus

Ninja is also part Thief of course, and gets the status effect magics in addition to stealing. Long Range access would be kind of wasted if you get Ninja on Yuffie or Vincent though, but I feel like it doesn't fit thematically with any other job.

Blue Mage - Enemy Skill, Sense, Morph, Manipulate, Mime, HP Plus, MP Plus

So I'm not 100% happy with what I have for Blue Mage, but I'm kind of at a loss otherwise. Enemy Skill basically can't be linked with any Support materia, so all of that is out. It gets Sense and Manipulate for obvious reasons, and Morph because I guess it maybe fits thematically. Mime doesn't really fit thematically but I feel like Mime should go somewhere and can't really be its own class due to the materia being so late in the game. None of the Independent materia seem to really fit Blue Mage thematically either, it's never had any sort of countering or cover abilities, and manipulating sneak/surprise attacks is generally Thief/Ninja territory.

Also, any job can equip All as a linked materia, and most of the other Independent materia, which would be Chocobo Lure, Luck Plus, Underwater, Mega All, Gil Plus, EXP Plus, Enemy Away, and Enemy Lure. All jobs can also equip Elemental and Added Effect on armor, since armor that protects against elements/statuses has never been job exclusive, though again as with those linked materia on Knight, the idea is that a White Mage for example could do Ice + Elemental, but wouldn't be allowed to actually cast Ice in battle.

So those are the only jobs that really fit the materia I feel, I played around with the idea of Red Mage as its own class instead of a jumpstart for Summoner but I feel it didn't bring enough as its own identity to work. Stuff like Samurai or Geomancer also doesn't work because there really isn't enough materia to justify it, without just being dull and limited, or just like "Black Mage but with way less spells."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Vikar Jerome posted:

The last trailer kind of hinted at this yeah