Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I remember watching The Matrix Reloaded with a bunch of my classmates while skipping class and I told everyone that I read on THE INTERNET there was something after the credits. About minute 10 of credits later I got worried and they got antsy but thankfully I escaped ridicule for wasting everyone’s time when the teaser for #3 started.

Later that same year I burned a lovely cam copy of the movie to a CD and played it with my dreamcast for a section of some presentation I had to give in my language arts class. It’s possible I recorded it to VHS first but I just remember the dreamcast being a key point in transferring/playing the media, and I wasnt above setting my dreamcast up at school for such a payoff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

TV Zombie posted:

Can't finish it (up to S3, episode 3)but I really dislike Halt and Catch Fire's Joe MacMillan.

He has that effect on a lot of people in his life. I liked him more at the end of the series than I did at the end of season 2, but I don't expect anyone to get AMC+ just to see his growth in the last 2 seasons.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Tweak posted:

Later that same year I burned a lovely cam copy of the movie to a CD and played it with my dreamcast for a section of some presentation I had to give in my language arts class.

absolutely incredible sentence

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?
The Matrix is a Terminator 2, Fury Road tier masterpiece that has a sense of danger that the sequels never really capture in the same way. Reloaded comes close in two scenes, those being the freeway chase, and the final confrontation with Trinity and the agent in the power plant. Revolutions doesn't really nail the same feelings imo but it does have that song Navras which is a goat tier final boss theme song to use in my stick figure fights for Newgrounds

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I Before E posted:

He has that effect on a lot of people in his life. I liked him more at the end of the series than I did at the end of season 2, but I don't expect anyone to get AMC+ just to see his growth in the last 2 seasons.

If I may rant a bit Joe feels like a snake oil salesman. Cardiff Electric goes down because of him wanting to innovate, and people get laid off because of decisions he's made and the vision he has. Based on his past and decisions he's made, his marriage fails.

His drat benchmarks for Mutiny in order to give them the resources they need, is so frustrating because I feel like he's done it to make himself look better as he boasts about them without considering the strain it puts on the Mutiny crew.

He even uses Gordon's antivirus program to...somehow build up a anti-virus firm? OFF OF ONE FLOPPY DISK because I can't imagine Joe writing code to save his life? Yet one demonstration gets him funding?

Gordon has drug and mental issues, Cameron can act like a child at times but man Joe's issues suck so much. I dislike him so much.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

TV Zombie posted:

If I may rant a bit Joe feels like a snake oil salesman. Cardiff Electric goes down because of him wanting to innovate, and people get laid off because of decisions he's made and the vision he has. Based on his past and decisions he's made, his marriage fails.

His drat benchmarks for Mutiny in order to give them the resources they need, is so frustrating because I feel like he's done it to make himself look better as he boasts about them without considering the strain it puts on the Mutiny crew.

He even uses Gordon's antivirus program to...somehow build up a anti-virus firm? OFF OF ONE FLOPPY DISK because I can't imagine Joe writing code to save his life? Yet one demonstration gets him funding?

Gordon has drug and mental issues, Cameron can act like a child at times but man Joe's issues suck so much. I dislike him so much.

You're absolutely right about all of this but I still can't bring myself to hate him. All of the main characters are in this balance of being intensely frustrating but still comprehensible in a very human way. Part of it is that (general plot stuff, nothing TV Zombie didn't cover) I don't see him as a snake oil salesman as much as I see him as ambitious to a fault. He's constantly going through this Icarus cycle where he comes into a place, sees how it could be better, tries to make that happen, succeeds just enough to make me think this time he'll reach where he wants to be, and then the wings melt and he falls to earth due to his self-sabotaging, tempestuous personality. Also he's hot

I Before E fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Dec 14, 2021

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

making bread

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

eating bread

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

what bread you make cav

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

franch bag wet

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Cavauro posted:

franch bag wet

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

First Matrix, great genre defining work.
Matrix animated dealie, great world building stuff sold me on wanting to see the sequel.
2nd Movie. Ok.
3rd movie. Just no.

The Stroker Ace
Feb 7, 2007

I don’t like how the V For Vendetta movie turned an indictment of Thatcher era politics into a 9/11 analogy.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

The Stroker Ace posted:

I don’t like how the V For Vendetta movie turned an indictment of Thatcher era politics into a 9/11 analogy.

Of all the parallels that could have been made with a V adaptation, equating the Thatcher and Bush administrations actually feels like a worthwhile angle in line with the general spirit of the original. I don't hate it in theory.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

it was good

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
gently caress Ted Faro.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

I'm making a london broil for steak sandwiches since I got a new meat thermometer

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

First thing I popped in for my PS5 was Ghost of Tsushima. gently caress yeah. Also - gently caress the Khans

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

I'm making a london broil for steak sandwiches

nice

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Do you think American Gods is too much for a 12 year old?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Do you think American Gods is too much for a 12 year old?

Yes

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Yeah I forgot about the sex demons and stuff

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Neil Gaiman is a verified pervert, so I would naturally just assume any project he's on that isn't explicitly geared toward children is inappropriate for them at some point or another.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

CobiWann posted:

gently caress Ted Faro.

the game wouldn't let me throw his corpse from the building so I had to imagine it, and it was good.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I got the lad some Discworld books instead

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I read American Gods at 12 but I and many others wouldn’t recommend you raise your child according to how I was.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I got the lad some Discworld books instead

discworld rules a lot

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

NienNunb posted:

I read American Gods at 12 but I and many others wouldn’t recommend you raise your child according to how I was.

The thing is he’s my nephew and my brother is a little bit of a square so I have a responsibility as uncle to give him and his brothers stuff that’s a little more out there

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

give him the film 'Joker'.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Too twisted

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

The thing is he’s my nephew and my brother is a little bit of a square so I have a responsibility as uncle to give him and his brothers stuff that’s a little more out there

Discworld is excellent stuff for growing minds, although A Series Of Unfortunate Events is also pretty good in a pinch

imo get him Small Gods and/or Hogfather, and start him thinking on big concepts in digestible ways :pseudo:

also maybe Monstrous Regiment, but it’s one of my favorites so I’m biased

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

SatansOnion posted:

Discworld is excellent stuff for growing minds, although A Series Of Unfortunate Events is also pretty good in a pinch

imo get him Small Gods and/or Hogfather, and start him thinking on big concepts in digestible ways :pseudo:

also maybe Monstrous Regiment, but it’s one of my favorites so I’m biased

Going Postal was one of my favorite books when I was younger

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

punk albums and a drum set

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

he will love the novels based on the video game 'DOOM', starting with Knee-Deep in the Dead, then Hell on Earth, followed by Infernal Sky and finally Endgame

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Cavauro posted:

he will love the novels based on the video game 'DOOM', starting with Knee-Deep in the Dead, then Hell on Earth, followed by Infernal Sky and finally Endgame

a perfect gift for anyone who loves DOOM and/or the Church of Latter-Day Saints

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If he is into comics at all, get him the complete Bone.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Imo 12 is young enough that you shouldn't give them American Gods but old enough that you can tell them about it, imply that it's "really out there, not sure you're ready for it", and let them take the initiative to get it at the local library.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I got super into the Diablo books when I was a kid - the ones by Richard Knaak

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I Before E posted:

Imo 12 is young enough that you shouldn't give them American Gods but old enough that you can tell them about it, imply that it's "really out there, not sure you're ready for it", and let them take the initiative to get it at the local library.

This is a good idea but do it for The Sandman because it’s cooler. Or Swamp Thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I Before E posted:

Yeah, this is the way to do it.

Comic books are also great at that age because you can sneak a lot of stuff in with "Oh it's just comics"