Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I have a feeling this is the best scene that they're going to cut. I don't see how they do it -- the production values would have to be insane, they'd have to build like ten or twenty different sets.

Yeah and also I think it makes sense to cut down one of the many "fast travel" options Jordan introduced before he said "gently caress it everyone can instantly travel anywhere" by like book 6 or 7.

The Ways is a good set piece but I bet they never use it again and introduce portals by the end of season 2. It's good world building but when you're cutting out stuff like Caemlyn I don't see you spending time on Ways/Portal Stones/Skimming/TAR travel.

Also they apparently through in a portal ter'angreal already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

They built a big ways set, they'll probably keep it for the journey back to the two rivers in book 4.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
A lot of straw-manning going on regarding my take.

I like the show and think they are doing a pretty good job adapting the books so far.

But I do think the EF5 are underdeveloped through the first 6 episodes from where they could/should be.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

ad090 posted:

I'm guessing that we didn't get more of the Matt, Rand, and Thom journey scenes is, because Josha can't play the flute/sing, and Barney can't juggle/sing. Thom was playing guitar, and not harp/flute for the same reason I imagine, as well as not being able to juggle and doing standing double backflips and poo poo. Most of their time together is Thom giving them so marketable skills, and trying to convince them to not got to Caemlyn and eventually Tar Valon.

I remember he tried to convince the lads to go to Illian and become Hunters of the Horn. THE IRONY!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Devorum posted:

Holy poo poo is the "OMG look at this word chart that proves show bad!" canned talking point the most insipid bullshit.

It's just utter nonsense on every level, and I refuse to believe anyone using it is doing so in good faith. It's also boring to read someone whining about.

It's giving me severe flashbacks to those weirdos on Livejournal or Usenet or whatever who would post endless screenshot-supported diatribes about which of the Sailor Moons had the biggest "rack" and was therefore best

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

silvergoose posted:

They built a big ways set, they'll probably keep it for the journey back to the two rivers in book 4.

They might. I don't think they'll do Portal Stones enough, as much as I'd like them to.

I do believe the Shadar Logoth and Tar Valon sets the same just dressed different.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Jaxyon posted:

Also they apparently through in a portal ter'angreal already.

Call me crazy but I don't think that ter'angreal in the episode is a portal. I think it's far more likely to be a pocket dreamscape or something similar.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Data Graham posted:

It's giving me severe flashbacks to those weirdos on Livejournal or Usenet or whatever who would post endless screenshot-supported diatribes about which of the Sailor Moons had the biggest "rack" and was therefore best

what a bizarre take

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
When the portal stone scene comes up they should do an entire episode of various "I win again Lews Therin" vignettes.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

I have a feeling this is the best scene that they're going to cut. I don't see how they do it -- the production values would have to be insane, they'd have to build like ten or twenty different sets.

yeah, unfortunately

it was one of his best scenes

now that i think of it, the rhuidean vision requires about as much effort

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
There's a portal stone on the road by Tar Valon when Rand and Mat are walking towards the city. They're kind of important plot devices in book 2 and 4, so I can't imagine they're gonna get cut, but WAFO.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

the most redditor way to enjoy media possible

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i can see portal stones being a thing for season 2 but if they're cut for their intended purpose and included purely as a visual ref in that episode then i wouldn't be too surprised

definitely won't be touched on for this season, though

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

ChubbyChecker posted:

yeah, unfortunately

it was one of his best scenes

now that i think of it, the rhuidean vision requires about as much effort

Yeah but if they cut Rhuidean i'm pretty sure book readers from across the globe would converge on Prague to burn down the studios and tar and feather Rafe.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

There's a portal stone on the road by Tar Valon when Rand and Mat are walking towards the city. They're kind of important plot devices in book 2 and 4, so I can't imagine they're gonna get cut, but WAFO.

I think that was just an old sign post with old tongue writing on it, not a portal stone.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

rhuidean is not being cut, that's one of those things they absolutely can't remove without massive changes

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

How are u posted:

Yeah but if they cut Rhuidean i'm pretty sure book readers from across the globe would converge on Prague to burn down the studios and tar and feather Rafe.

For me, it's "I have won again, Lews Therin" that's non-negotiable. That, and the scene where Berelain shows off her boobs to Rand.

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

withak posted:

When the portal stone scene comes up they should do an entire episode of various "I win again Lews Therin" vignettes.

I would love that actually. The Wish was a great Buffy episode that did an alternate reality. I can't think of any others off the top of my head, but it's always fun to see 'what-if' stuff on occasion.

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

th3t00t posted:

A lot of straw-manning going on regarding my take.

I like the show and think they are doing a pretty good job adapting the books so far.

But I do think the EF5 are underdeveloped through the first 6 episodes from where they could/should be.

How would you do it though? Lets take episode 5 since lots of people are griping about Stepin's 15 minutes of fame.

So with that 15 minutes you give 5 minutes each to Perrin/Egwene, Mat/Rand, and Nynaeve. What do you do with those 5 minutes that both world builds and grows each character? In this episode you already built off of previous episodes so you get the Perrin/wolfbrother payoff. He already confesses to Egwene that he killed his wife. Egwene is able to channel under pressure. Mat knows he's going insane, just not the reason. He just wants to die instead of going insane. Nyneave is poorly dodging Tower politics. So, what do you do with that time?

You can either accelerate some time and get them headed out of Tar Valon already, but then you cut an opportunity to show the non-book reader audience just how strong the warder/AS bond is, and also that these are human characters with real grief. So, you cut all that with a throw away line about how warders get big sad after an AS dies. That's not gonna stick with your average viewer. Instead they're just in the whirlwind of 'on to the next stop' and the world only consists of these 6 characters and nothing much else matters.

And this is considering time constraints, I'd probably gladly watch 10 episodes that were 90 minutes each, but that's not gonna fly with your average streaming binger, which is unfortunately what they have to cater to. So I think they're doing a pretty good job. I wish the writing was stronger, but that can always be improved. I'm sad Barney Harris is gone, because I think he's done the most with the little that any of them have been given. I'm a bit worried that Perrin doesn't have a ton of range, but hopefully that's because he just hasn't been given much to do. By season 2 it could easily be the Egwene/Nynaeve show because they're the strongest actors, and then /whitecloaks will implode on itself.

And now I'm just kind of tailing off because I had to stop halfway through to do some work and don't remember what I was talking about anymore, kind of a Winter's Heart moment.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I don't think that was a portal stone. It has the same script that the other road sign stones had

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Dingleberry2 posted:

And this is considering time constraints, I'd probably gladly watch 10 episodes that were 90 minutes each, but that's not gonna fly with your average streaming binger

I read today that the first season of the LOTR show is gonna be 20 episodes :stonk:

https://www.slashfilm.com/568297/lord-of-the-rings-season-1-episode-count/

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Dingleberry2 posted:

I would love that actually. The Wish was a great Buffy episode that did an alternate reality. I can't think of any others off the top of my head, but it's always fun to see 'what-if' stuff on occasion.

TNG loved that. Yesterday's Enterprise had the Klingon War universe, Inner Light where Picard lives out a whole new life, and Parallels which had Worf hopping through increasingly divergent universes, including a glimpse at one where the Borg won and the Federation had been assimilated.

As far as doing sets for "I have won again, Lews Therin" it's not really that many. You need the Al'Thor farm again for the one where Rand and Tam get killed by Trollocs on Winternight, some Two Rivers stuff from when Rand dies an old man there, and Camelyn walls for when Rand dies as a member of the Queensguard. After that it's just brief glimpses of stuff as the visions go faster and faster that probably don't have to be that detailed.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Dingleberry2 posted:

The Wish was a great Buffy episode that did an alternate reality. I can't think of any others off the top of my head

Fwiw, The OA is rife with this. If I could have one more season of any cancelled show, The OA would be tied with Party Down for what show I'd pick.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Dingleberry2 posted:

Legend of the Seeker did one that was p good too

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

They could steal the Mandalorian tech and do it that way. Make it hazy and dreamlike, so you don't need a huge set, just some actors and a green screen. I think you could do a decent version of it that way. I could be remembering wrong, but I think we really only see Rand's versions anyways, the rest are just reactions from other people about it.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

It's more the time investment I would think- you're probably looking at a really big chunk of screen time on a show that has a very limited time budget.

Which is a shame, because I loving love that scene.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I think I'm at the point where I stopped reading the books. Not sure though book ten sounds about right.

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

jng2058 posted:

As far as doing sets for "I have won again, Lews Therin" it's not really that many. You need the Al'Thor farm again for the one where Rand and Tam get killed by Trollocs on Winternight, some Two Rivers stuff from when Rand dies an old man there, and Camelyn walls for when Rand dies as a member of the Queensguard. After that it's just brief glimpses of stuff as the visions go faster and faster that probably don't have to be that detailed.

Actually, shouldn't we be (hopefully) getting versions of that anyways? I would hope that we get the Accepted testing. I assume Nynaeve and Egwene will go to Accepted right away in S2 so they need to go through the rings.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Gully Foyle posted:

I think that was just an old sign post with old tongue writing on it, not a portal stone.

CainFortea posted:

I don't think that was a portal stone. It has the same script that the other road sign stones had

Ah okay, my bad.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Dingleberry2 posted:

Actually, shouldn't we be (hopefully) getting versions of that anyways? I would hope that we get the Accepted testing. I assume Nynaeve and Egwene will go to Accepted right away in S2 so they need to go through the rings.

I hope they keep Nyneave telling Egwene and Elayne that they will make the Aes Sedai "pay our price" for putting them through that test.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

silvergoose posted:

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Dingleberry2 posted:

How would you do it though? Lets take episode 5 since lots of people are griping about Stepin's 15 minutes of fame.

So with that 15 minutes you give 5 minutes each to Perrin/Egwene, Mat/Rand, and Nynaeve. What do you do with those 5 minutes that both world builds and grows each character? In this episode you already built off of previous episodes so you get the Perrin/wolfbrother payoff. He already confesses to Egwene that he killed his wife. Egwene is able to channel under pressure. Mat knows he's going insane, just not the reason. He just wants to die instead of going insane. Nyneave is poorly dodging Tower politics. So, what do you do with that time?

You can either accelerate some time and get them headed out of Tar Valon already, but then you cut an opportunity to show the non-book reader audience just how strong the warder/AS bond is, and also that these are human characters with real grief. So, you cut all that with a throw away line about how warders get big sad after an AS dies. That's not gonna stick with your average viewer. Instead they're just in the whirlwind of 'on to the next stop' and the world only consists of these 6 characters and nothing much else matters.

And this is considering time constraints, I'd probably gladly watch 10 episodes that were 90 minutes each, but that's not gonna fly with your average streaming binger, which is unfortunately what they have to cater to. So I think they're doing a pretty good job. I wish the writing was stronger, but that can always be improved. I'm sad Barney Harris is gone, because I think he's done the most with the little that any of them have been given. I'm a bit worried that Perrin doesn't have a ton of range, but hopefully that's because he just hasn't been given much to do. By season 2 it could easily be the Egwene/Nynaeve show because they're the strongest actors, and then /whitecloaks will implode on itself.

And now I'm just kind of tailing off because I had to stop halfway through to do some work and don't remember what I was talking about anymore, kind of a Winter's Heart moment.
All it would take is a handful more interactions, spoken or otherwise, per episode for the EF5. Some of the stuff they're giving us is really good. Like when Siuan starts talking about, "You're the most powerful channeler we've seen in 1000 years" And Egwene puffs up and then gets deflated when she realizes Siuan is talking about Nynaeve. They need more of these kinds of moments for the main 5, showing or telling the audience who these characters are and why they should care about them.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Dingleberry2 posted:

I don't agree that the whole of the E5 are in a bad position, character investment wise; I'd certainly like Nynaeve to have more big sister/mother hen moments, but she and the rest are doing fine on their own, or at least as fine as they were in the books. Rand's the one of the gang that's got investment issues, so that's where I'd dump the lion's share of Stepin's screentime. I might have pushed Thom's death and such to episode 5 myself and slotted in a new scene during the farm, it would be nice for Thom to spend more time with the boys pre-death. Either way, push Thom to episode 5 or leave it alone, the scene I'd do is Rand teaching Mat the Flame and the Void, to help Mat get a grip. Reinforce the whole "Rand just really cares about everyone" thing they've got going on, and spreading it out the Rand lore dump they're gonna pull off in the next few episodes. If Thom was around, I's have had him comment, either to expand on it's background, or just to be like "intriiiiiguing". If I was feel a little frisky, I'd have Rand react to the presence of the True Source, maybe play off Mat's difficulty learning with Rand being rusty.

Oh, this slipped my mind, but they had Egwene's braid being undone as part of the whitecloaks violating her, and it's a shame/bad to miss her immediately (3 days, but still bailing on years of Emonds Field culture to emulate her new faction. At least she added on a Tinkers vestment thingamabob while Perrin remains in the same outfit.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

They show 5 stills from episode 7 at the end of this weeks episode of Inside the Wheel of Time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izxrL5RN1tk&t=1484s

It looks like they get attacked by something in The Ways :toot:

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

regulargonzalez posted:

Fwiw, The OA is rife with this. If I could have one more season of any cancelled show, The OA would be tied with Party Down for what show I'd pick.

I hate it when people bring up The OA.

Because then I remember how disappointed I was they didn’t give it a third season.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

regulargonzalez posted:

The dancing robotsis one of my favourite reveals in TV, for how it just completly upends how you think things work and what the show is gonna be about. It's brilliant.

It's also so completly batshit and nonsensical that I almost don't need spoiler tags.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

El Grillo posted:

I dunno, he is all right. He is the only reason they make it to Caemlyn, Matt is super hosed up by the time they get there and Rand has some pretty intense scenes with him trying him that they're not going to die and even if they are he's not going to just give up, sit around and wait for the Fade. It's quite good reading. I also like that he gets very homesick at certain points, kind of grounds the character a lot.
He's kind of solely defined by his reactions to the story though. Not so much the inner fully formed personality yet.

I dunno when you feel the division in GoT took place and it's been too long since I read the books so I've no idea. But the first few seasons of GoT were definitely the best IMO.

That is because GOT relies on character dynamics to tell a "history/fantasy" story. That's the strength of GOT, it's fantasy for people who are embarrassed by fantasy, and for fantasy fans who wanted "real and gritty".

WOT's strength is the story, as well as great characters. the show is distilling the greatness into a visual medium.

At the end of the day, WOT is a stronger story with a lot more text to pull the best elements from, to create the best visual version of that story for a new/old audience.

None of their changes so far have fundamentally altered what makes that story great. Splitting the dragon soul into five or four would be the first major change that I would strongly disagree with. I think we'll know by the end of this week if they've done that.

and random but awesome.

https://twitter.com/MeRavingMad/status/1470796639145127937?s=20

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

LionArcher posted:

None of their changes so far have fundamentally altered what makes that story great. Splitting the dragon soul into five or four would be the first major change that I would strongly disagree with. I think we'll know by the end of this week if they've done that.

they're not

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

We are blessed to have Rosamund Pike as Moiraine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

:eyepop: