Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Platystemon posted:

Rangefinder, like, camera, or golf accessory?

It's a Bushnell Laser rangefinder. I literally have no use for it due to me not being a hunter, but it looks cool.

The telescope is a Tasco Space Station, which is cool, but I do already have a telescope I don't use.

I literally have no use for either, but everything else is boring. I know either one will end up in the closet after I get over playing with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
but hey witcher season 2 baby!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

3 month boosters lmao

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Iron Crowned posted:

It's a Bushnell Laser rangefinder. I literally have no use for it due to me not being a hunter, but it looks cool.

The telescope is a Tasco Space Station, which is cool, but I do already have a telescope I don't use.

I literally have no use for either, but everything else is boring. I know either one will end up in the closet after I get over playing with it.

you will find use for it sooner than later

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

euphronius posted:

3 month boosters lmao

lining up dutifully in the cattle line every three months for the rest of my life, in order to be knocked out of work or family care responsibilities for 24-48 hours, because the alternative is an unknown chance of airborne parkinsons. this is the future, now

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Petey posted:

lining up dutifully in the cattle line every three months for the rest of my life, in order to be knocked out of work or family care responsibilities for 24-48 hours, because the alternative is an unknown chance of airborne parkinsons. this is the future, now

it also means 2 sick days every three months

at least for me

(which is better than covid o know )

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

I already made the effort to get two full rounds of mRNA for dual vax card action to beat the six month mandate. A three month cadence has been an obvious minimum for a while now.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Solved the waste water mystery.

Iron Crowned posted:

I've been wearing a ff-402 since October 2020, which is pretty heavy, you get used to it. Work out those neck muscles yo.

Neck muscles are fine, but I've never managed to position it so it doesn't pinch the nose at all. I don't really have problems with Auras, even after eight hours.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Deceptive Thinker posted:

This and married at first sight are my wife's favorite trashy TV

Same. Both shows are an impressive display of sheer stupidity and people who generally shouldn’t ever be around others. My favorite each season are the people who are clearly on the shows just to push their Instagram or whatever but can’t even put forth the smallest effort.

Agent: “I’ve got the perfect opportunity for you. Go on this show for 8 weeks where you have to be married to a stranger. They will be equally attractive. You’ll also get a free trip to a tropical paradise and a bunch of other cool free experiences. All you have to do is let cameras follow you around for those weeks and make a real attempt at connecting with the other person which included moving in together.”
Participant on show: “I can absolutely do that.”

Participant puts forth zero effort from day one and then ends up cheating within a few days.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

euphronius posted:

it also means 2 sick days every three months

at least for me

(which is better than covid o know )

In the future, all Mon-Fri office workers will get their jabs on Friday evening. Generate antibodies on your own time, maggot

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
So out of curiosity; why is this happening? Like I don't mean in a moral/spiritual sense, or why the world leaders are behaving as they are. I mean, like, why is COVID-19 doing what it's doing?
Wet markets are not a new thing. Bats are not a new thing. Bats living in areas with humans are not a new thing. And I mean look at the common cold coronaviruses and other coronaviruses, none of which are new.

I get how the vaccination and whatnot are applying selection pressures, because evolution is one of the few parts of biology I do have a pretty good grasp on, but like yeah. My question is basically why is this just happening now? Why didn't COVID-1999 happen? Or COVID 2009? Like it seems to me all you needed for this to happen were a vector for bat to human zoonotic transfer, modern air travel to facilitate rapid spread, and capitalism to facilitate a complete lack of NPIs that would quickly and easily defeat the virus. All of these things have been around for literally decades.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

aren’t cities infested with rodents

and pretty much anywhere humans love actually

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

why do you think it came from bats ?? in a wet market

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

So out of curiosity; why is this happening? Like I don't mean in a moral/spiritual sense, or why the world leaders are behaving as they are. I mean, like, why is COVID-19 doing what it's doing?
Wet markets are not a new thing. Bats are not a new thing. Bats living in areas with humans are not a new thing. And I mean look at the common cold coronaviruses and other coronaviruses, none of which are new.

I get how the vaccination and whatnot are applying selection pressures, because evolution is one of the few parts of biology I do have a pretty good grasp on, but like yeah. My question is basically why is this just happening now? Why didn't COVID-1999 happen? Or COVID 2009? Like it seems to me all you needed for this to happen were a vector for bat to human zoonotic transfer, modern air travel to facilitate rapid spread, and capitalism to facilitate a complete lack of NPIs that would quickly and easily defeat the virus. All of these things have been around for literally decades.

Remember HIV? SARS? MERS? All those influenzas?

zone
Dec 6, 2016

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

in a nutshell, covid isn't the first disease to jump from animals to human beings, and certainly won't be the last. HIV, for instance, started off life as a disease of monkeys.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Spoondick posted:

a whole lot of medications are anticholinergic, like most ssris, most incontinence medications, and a lot of gi distress / nausea medications... hmm, we use all those things on the elderly
IIRC there are newer ones for some of these categories that are more selective so they hopefully don't affect the brain and have less side effects, and presumably those are okay.

Anyone taking an older anticholinergic drug should probably talk to their doctor about whether the one they're taking is safe in light of the studies about dementia and whether there's something else they should switch to.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

I'm in danger!

But even if it can infect rodents, that doesn't necessarily mean the transfer is two-way, right? Like while dogs and cats can get the plague, my understanding was they can't give it to humans?

And yes. To my knowledge that one part of Canada is the only place on Earth where you have urbanization but no rats.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i dont wear a mask at work and i have lots of customers every day that are traveling in and out of town. i talk to them and share their air. this cant possibly be dangerous because nobody has told me i have to wear a mask for legal or liability reasons. some of my customers wear masks but they always take them off to talk to me

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Failed Imagineer posted:

Remember HIV? SARS? MERS? All those influenzas?

Oh totally. But other than the 1918 Flu and maybe HIV depending on your criteria, I'm not sure any of those came out of the gates swinging as hard as 'Roni or adapted as quickly and powerfully as it?
I admit a bit of unfamiliarity with the particulars of the 1918 Flu, but was it an existential threat to all civilization on the planet the way 'Roni is?

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

zone posted:

certainly won't be the last

A bold prediction considering your prediction requires the continued existence of humanity.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Koirhor posted:

you will find use for it sooner than later

Good point, rangefinder it is!

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

ukhsa now has an omicron daily overview that's updated every night (so far): https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-omicron-daily-overview

this gets direct data on s-gene target failure cases alongside the confirmed omicron cases, with known hospitalisations and deaths. there's breakdowns for england given ukhsa is the remade public health england but omicron is not slowing down:
https://twitter.com/AlastairGrant4/status/1470865942993330179
we're still looking at a 2 day doubling time and an absurd Rt of 5.5 despite vaccinations and existing measures for delta keeping that near 1

an ex vivo study appears showing something unusual about omicron's shift compared to past strains:
https://twitter.com/mugecevik/status/1471088942543949829

Gildiss posted:

Yoo Jae-suk’s COVID-19 diagnosis to change year-end plans for local television
http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20211214000675
i was wondering when he'd return positive given how many people he interacts with on a daily basis...

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
One weird trick

https://twitter.com/ChristinaPushaw/status/1470571125046448130?t=nMBdV7uRNDaoiigAKcuwAw&s=19

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.

Zodium posted:

thank you. proof of intent of capitalism is a very interesting idea, and life being designed around capital more generally seems an instructive idea. as james gibson said, the rules that govern behavior are not like laws enforced by an authority or decisions made by a commander; behavior is regular without being regulated. the question is how this can be. "because each generation designs and prepares life for the next around capital" is as good an answer as i've ever heard.

expanding on this, while academia does act as a gatekeeper, it's not a monolith, it produces plenty of critical voices. the problem is they don't have any proactive influence on society, or academia. it isn't an independent gatekeeper, only one interdependent part of a vast control complex; it's perfectly safe and possible to make a career for yourself as a critical academic so long as you are nothing but. you'll just only receive energy from capital if you produce behaviors that serve to stabilize capitalism.

iirc the frontal cortex regulates certain behaviors using a similar system, generating many kinds of potentially relevant behavior and only disinhibiting as they become perceptually salient or goal-relevant. mayhaps academia serves a similar function in capitalism. presumably, if the data and charts and bars we believe should be persuasive were so to academics or decisionmakers, the critical academics who produced them would have done the persuading. they didn't. the evidence was sanitized before it ever reached us.

Oh please, there are authorities enforcing rules permeating every aspect of capitalism and the threat of repression plays a key role in holding the whole thing together. Same with calculated propaganda, much of which does come out of academic and quasi-academic settings like think tanks. There's a strong disincentive to question the bullshit and an even stronger one to tell the powerful what they want to hear. The prevalence of lack of insight into how the game is played gets overstated to obfuscate this. In fact, though, all-pervading cynicism is another way the system maintains itself.

Someone like Monica Ghandi is inexplicable as a simple product of a self-regulating complex system. She is a blatant scam artist and serial liar who only sees the money and clout she's getting by spewing nonsense. Only an ivory tower lib thinks the system that benefits her plays out entirely unguided by intentional actors (on the other hand, it's the same with downplaying capitalism's systematic character in favor of agency, go figure).

Systems thinking and what some might call "conspiracist" views on human intent are compatible IMO - humans have always reflected on their experiences, solved problems, and adapted to their environment. They can observe what works toward their own interests and what doesn't within a given system and exploit their position, resources, and knowledge, even if they clearly aren't reverse engineering capitalism with fancy leftist theories from smoke-filled rooms or something. The fuckery around regulatory obligations with an airborne virus like COVID is a clear example of this. Public health authorities advertising COVID as an airborne virus creates huge legal and regulatory burdens on governments and businesses (like what happened with the rulemaking process with OSHA and CDC's masks-off debacle back in May), and the CDC, WHO, and everyone else at the state and local levels denying it as long as they did only dug that hole deeper. The incentives furnished by capitalism as a system explains the "why" and intent explains the "how".

Sidenote: being a radical-seeming "critical voice" that ultimately maintains capitalism is fully possible within academia -- and, more importantly, you can still get paid very well. That's Noam Chomksy's entire career outside his actual field, linguistics. Radicals can also be excommunicated from academia entirely for having certain unpopular views and being especially outspoken about them: Steve Salaita was a good example. He's now a bus driver with a PhD.

Bathtub Cheese fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Dec 15, 2021

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Actually, just thought something.
If zoonotic reservoirs - rodent or otherwise = were a major or even substantial source of spread for Omicron, wouldn't we expect China and Japan to, despite their current efforts, not have COVID under control? Their policies are currently, for obvious reasons, based on modifying and observing human behaviors and health, not pest control. I mean I'm sure they probably have pest control plans anyway, but you know what I mean.
If rats were spreading COVID in a meaningful way, wouldn't China see more cases as their lockdowns and quarantines are obviously not something rats understand or respect.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Looks like herd immunity was right all along

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Can't have COVID in your state if everyone is dead

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Oh totally. But other than the 1918 Flu and maybe HIV depending on your criteria, I'm not sure any of those came out of the gates swinging as hard as 'Roni or adapted as quickly and powerfully as it?
I admit a bit of unfamiliarity with the particulars of the 1918 Flu, but was it an existential threat to all civilization on the planet the way 'Roni is?

Dude the 1918 flu killed maybe 5% of the global population, before global tourism was even a concept.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Failed Imagineer posted:

Dude the 1918 flu killed maybe 5% of the global population, before global tourism was even a concept.

I'm pretty sure by the time this is over, COVID will have wildly outperformed a mere single digit percentage.

I know how huge the death toll was for the 1918 flu, but like did any country collapse from it? Were any of the fascist power grabs of the interwar period predicated upon the turmoil and instability the plague, rather than the war, caused?

I'm aware of how bad the 1918 Flu was in raw numbers, I'm just not sure it's going to compare unfavorably to COVID before long.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the most trustworthy numbers

mystes
May 31, 2006

Maybe the color just wrapped around because Florida is so hosed.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

an ex vivo study appears showing something unusual about omicron's shift compared to past strains:
https://twitter.com/mugecevik/status/1471088942543949829

Well, that certainly would explain why Omicron seems to be "mild" at first glance while being so infectious. Staying out of the lungs allow the patients to stay out of the hospital where they can keep on spewing the virus out everywhere.

Extending the infectious phase is a pretty nifty trick to continue the spread.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Actually, just thought something.
If zoonotic reservoirs - rodent or otherwise = were a major or even substantial source of spread for Omicron, wouldn't we expect China and Japan to, despite their current efforts, not have COVID under control? Their policies are currently, for obvious reasons, based on modifying and observing human behaviors and health, not pest control. I mean I'm sure they probably have pest control plans anyway, but you know what I mean.
If rats were spreading COVID in a meaningful way, wouldn't China see more cases as their lockdowns and quarantines are obviously not something rats understand or respect.

Plague is endemic to the western United States and a bunch of other areas worldwide, and people do occasionally catch it. It doesn’t start another Black Death because the conditions that allowed it to flourish no longer exist.

Or for perhaps a more direct example, bird flu and swine flu are out there and constantly threatening new pandemics, but we’re usually just barely able to contain them by murdering all the nonhuman hosts in the area.

Animal-to-human transmission events are relatively rare. If we can control human-to-human transmission, we win, even if the pathogen has an animal reservoir.

It does require constant vigilance, though.

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

e: I think it's neat to look at, not that it "shows" anything.

Did they ever figure out how it sort of kicked around independently all that time? was the "it was all one guy" idea wrong?
Was it just an undermonitored part of the world?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/chenweihua/status/1471106364332204033?s=21

mystes
May 31, 2006

NeonPunk posted:

Well, that certainly would explain why Omicron seems to be "mild" at first glance while being so infectious. Staying out of the lungs allow the patients to stay out of the hospital where they can keep on spewing the virus out everywhere.

Extending the infectious phase is a pretty nifty trick to continue the spread.
It might genuinely make it less deadly because people won't have as much trouble breathing although people who have their other organs destroyed will presumably still be hosed anyway

It would kind of suck in its own way if it's seriously less deadly but spreads much faster and has the same rate if long term complications and nobody cares about stopping it.

mystes fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Dec 15, 2021

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

platzapS posted:

Did they ever figure out how it sort of kicked around independently all that time? was the "it was all one guy" idea wrong?
Was it just an undermonitored part of the world?

We went through this already. IRL is now Dragonball and it was training in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber.
Idiot.

Joking aside? I don't think so, but I do seem to recall we dismissed the 'it was one dude' idea. I think it was just probably bouncing around some poor part of SA or the US before it decided to go out on its roaring rampage of revenge.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

It has happened before.

There was an influenza pandemic in 1957-1958 that killed something like 1 to 4 million people worldwide
There was another pandemic in 1968-1969 that killed another 1 to 4 million people worldwide
There was an outbreak in Russia in 1977-1979 that killed about 700k people
H5N1 has had multiple outbreaks from 2006 to 2008
H1N1 was in 2009
MERS was first identified in 2012 and has had small outbreaks ever since, with the last big one in 2018

There was also an outbreak of avian flu in 2015 that killed tens of millions of birds, another one in 2020, and African Swine Fever has been ravaging pig populations for decades, with a huge outbreak in 2018-2019

We've been rolling the dice against influenza / coronaviruses forever, and eventually something was going to come up SNAKE EYES

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
This history of pandemics is a good watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_ppXSABYLY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

It's worth pointing out that government messaging right now is loving actively discouraging people from taking precautions that they would normally take in situations like this. We're telling people to do less than you would do if you knew someone at work had the flu or a bad cold, while actively setting public health knowledge back with poo poo like 6-foot distancing rules.

I wouldn't rule out the possibility that we're just actively making things worse and creating a perfect breeding ground.