Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

meet girls at the store posted:

As a chronic illness haver, I would like to see these people try to deal with a chronic illness that permeates every single facet of your existence and is utterly inescapable, forever :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Nothus posted:

Remember when mRNA vaccines were awesome because they had the possibility of being rapidly retooled for emerging variants. Well, we're just not going to do the retooling part because it costs money and the politics are about to shift hard against vaccination.

Better hope those free boosters has lasting protection because they're the last ones you'll get.

I'm very curious how the "just boost" schedule changes due to Omicron variant?

Imagine much shorter than 5-6 months due to large reduction in neutralizing factor compared to previous strains like Delta.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Wastid posted:

212, my mom is going now.

that sucks man, sorry

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Wastid posted:

212, my mom is going now.

I'm sorry :(

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Kylaer posted:

You're doing the lib thing. "You said something bad about Biden? Put on your MAGA hat and get out of here, Trump-lover!"

If this were the case, it would have taken off in Italy before it did in Wuhan. Saying it started somewhere other than Wuhan is implausible, along the lines of saying omicron didn't start in South Africa.

Especially since there is literally a papertrail of money coming from the U.S. NIH, through the EcoHealth Alliance, to the Wuhan Institute of Virology to study bat coronaviruses, which is an area of research that Peter Daszak is very keen on.

Very reasonable. I wish the people in power would do something about covid too. Unfortunately they aren't interested in doing so.

I feel like I'm watching the posting version of most extreme elimination challenge

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Golli posted:

If at-home tests are sold out in your area, you can purchase these FDA authorized (under EUA) tests directly from the manufacturer @ $13.98/box of two tests.

https://ihealthlabs.com/

They were giving away 10,000 free tests, with the promo code DoctorMike. One per customer. They are likely all given away by now, but wouldn't hurt to try.

the code still worked for me too, thanks!

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Kylaer posted:

Very reasonable. I wish the people in power would do something about covid too. Unfortunately they aren't interested in doing so.

Bullshit. DeSantis is doing something about COVID. He's actively collaborating with it.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Hahahahahaha this poo poo is so predictable. I called the American death toll for the year on January 19:

"3000 people are dying daily, and phase 1 vaccinations are expected to take months. We'll likely see 400,000 deaths in 2021 alone."

This was in a liberal group where 87% of posters predicted fewer people would die of covid under Biden than under Trump.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Well, we were gonna have a Christmas Eve dinner with both sets of grandparents. All adults are boosted but also all four of them are very open Biden. Now I’m not so sure. Maybe I’ll just move all the hepa filters we have to clear out the cat dander in to the room we’re eating in.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Nothus posted:

Remember when mRNA vaccines were awesome because they had the possibility of being rapidly retooled for emerging variants. Well, we're just not going to do the retooling part because it costs money and the politics are about to shift hard against vaccination.

Better hope those free boosters has lasting protection because they're the last ones you'll get.

The good news is an infection is sort of like a booster for vaccinated people and guess what we're all about to get!

Downside with this alternative-booster plan is significant chance of long-term disability for a large fraction of the public, but let's be real the important constituencies don't care about mass death let alone disability so long as the rate of return is safe. Capital really is gambling that the virus won't evolve to become much worse though, and we're going to have fun seeing if they're right.

edit: they really should make an Omicron booster though, it's already a separate pandemic. I'd bet it happens if only because the rich will want one.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Serf posted:

its always so weird to learn that these psychos and freaks have kids. like the fact that elon musk has 6 kids was mind-blowing for me. not only did he convince someone to let him reproduce, it seems to have imparted no wisdom to him at all

When Elon's first son died, he told his wife that it was manipulative of her to cry. Then he made her get IVF, and she gave birth to five sons in two years. Then, he divorced her.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Bullshit. DeSantis is doing something about COVID. He's actively collaborating with it.

https://twitter.com/BreitbartNews/status/1468584682614890506?s=20

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

:hmmyes:

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

its gonna rule when trump runs again and breitbart immediately calls desantis a rino

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Put out the fire, then we can talk about what idiot left the oven on.

I have to figure out "what's going on here?" as part of my job and every single conversation starts with the other person taking ten minutes to explain why it's not their fault. Even when the drat thing is still on fire.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Dec 15, 2021

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Iverron
May 13, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

Holy poo poo a lot of American star athletes are getting covid. We might see sports shut down soon.

feels as close as we’re going to get to that day in March 2020 when the NBA shut down given that no one gives a poo poo, what was the timeframe between that and mass graves in NY again?

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

mdemone posted:

but omicron didn't start in South Africa

I'm starting to think you don't actually know what you're talking about

just as in the example of wuhan, omicron was found to have been in Washington state prior to or around the same time the outbreak was being sounded in South Africa.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

That's a crack ping.

We're not working on variant specific vaccines. We have a trillion dollar annual military budget and we can spare a few billion for vaccines. We're too dumb to live.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

mdemone posted:

but omicron didn't start in South Africa

I'm starting to think you don't actually know what you're talking about

It did. Best estimates are that it started its rise there in mid-October. The first case that was sequenced and identified was far from the first case of omicron.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Iverron posted:

feels as close as we’re going to get to that day in March 2020 when the NBA shut down given that no one gives a poo poo, what was the timeframe between that and mass graves in NY again?

We won't have mass graves again, just crematoriums operating 24/7 or bodies dumped in the ocean. Maybe mass graves in the states where you have enough empty space that you can do them without folks noticing.

If America was going to blink, we already would have. I've been saying it since Biden took office; the only way we get meaningful NPIs in this country ever again is if capital gets spooked enough to demand it - and even that is dependent on Biden or Harris being in power, because I'm certain Trump, and even probably DeSantis, are full fash death cultists enough that they would not listen to capital.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

watching my work meetup/pre-holiday-party stuff over zoom from 600 miles away

no masks despite CDC warnings and being located in a place that has rescinded its mandate (:lol:) but replaced it with a "strong advisory that everyone should mask indoors" :rubby:

so I haven't seen a single masked coworker on video, but it looks like the facilities people working AV etc at the facility, are all masked.

I begin to see why some people are seeing this as a class issue.

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

lmao

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1471167607944499205

e; beaten

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
Oh neat another lab leak hypothesis. Weird how this one also systematically misses all the evolutionary ancestors to SARS-CoV-2 that have been discovered since all the original "gain of function" garbage about inserting a furin cleavage site was proposed.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Kylaer posted:

It did. Best estimates are that it started its rise there in mid-October. The first case that was sequenced and identified was far from the first case of omicron.

Swing and a miss

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

wow 165 mild cases of death in one day!

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

We have no way of knowing how this will play out in the US, stop being a doomer.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Kylaer posted:

:lol:

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

LMAO at these amateur hour numbers. Give it two weeks, and we'll show those limey bastards how you do a proper autogenocide.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

We won't have mass graves again, just crematoriums operating 24/7 or bodies dumped in the ocean. Maybe mass graves in the states where you have enough empty space that you can do them without folks noticing.

If America was going to blink, we already would have. I've been saying it since Biden took office; the only way we get meaningful NPIs in this country ever again is if capital gets spooked enough to demand it - and even that is dependent on Biden or Harris being in power, because I'm certain Trump, and even probably DeSantis, are full fash death cultists enough that they would not listen to capital.

if nothing else we’ve definitely improved at sweeping the bodies under the rug yeah

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

new Ontario covid report just dropped and uhhhhhhhh

https://www.publichealthontario.ca/-/media/documents/ncov/epi/covid-19-early-dynamics-omicron-ontario-epi-summary.pdf?sc_lang=en

quote:

The estimated proportion of cases with SGTF increased from <1% prior to November 28th to 33% on December 9. From province-wide whole genome sequencing, the first Omicron case was identified in a traveller on November 22. All SGTF cases identified by PHO Laboratory since November 22 with conclusive whole genome sequencing results have been confirmed as Omicron (N=12). The province-wide coverage level of SGTF tests conducted at PHOL increased from 6% prior to December,
to over 25% in early December (Figure 1, panel A). We estimated a daily relative growth rate for SGTF cases that was 48% faster than non-SGTF cases (Figure 1, panel B, selection coefficient = 0.39, 95%CI: 0.32 to 0.47). We estimated that each case of Omicron is infecting 7.7 times more individuals than Delta (95%CI: 5.2 to 11.4). Using nowcasting to account for delays due to the incubation period of SARS-CoV-2 and delays in presentation, testing, and reporting, the projected SGTF prevalence among persons infected with SARS-CoV-2 on December 13 was estimated to be greater than 80%.

:stare:

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Am I the only one who doesn't give a poo poo if it was created in a lab or not because we are two years into this and the fact that the Government and Capital and humanity at large is just too loving selfish to stop a deadly pandemic from killing grandma is the real problem?

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

lol we're so hosed

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Honestly I get this. Why have restrictions when other counties and towns even are not. Your restrictions won't stop it so why bother.

Crack ping I guess.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Pillowpants posted:

Am I the only one who doesn't give a poo poo if it was created in a lab or not because we are two years into this and the fact that the Government and Capital and humanity at large is just too loving selfish to stop a deadly pandemic from killing grandma is the real problem?

No but it's really fun to come up with wild theories about its origin because it's not as if we're doing anything meaningful to stop or even slow it down one iota.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Pillowpants posted:

no, i actually even typed up an angrier than i wanted response to that other goon saying essentially the same thing as this and deleted it

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

The dastardly inscrutable chinamen created a virus so mild no one in the world can beat it!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

https://gizmodo.com/missouri-ditches-covid-19-measures-after-court-ruling-1848202938

What the gently caress?

Loucks
May 21, 2007

it was me. i let the pangolin gently caress me. i'm sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Finally someone has taken action to end COVID!