Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Maybe Moghedien? She was a stockbroker or something and got the slapdown
She bet it all on saidincoin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I mean start of book 2 they're both in fal Dara

and now they have a pocket dimension in a box unless moiraine didnd take it with her.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Not gonna lie, hardworking teacher who doesn't get recognition she deserves going full nihilist is becoming an increasingly believable scenario

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Jaxyon posted:

Not gonna lie, hardworking teacher who doesn't get recognition she deserves going full nihilist is becoming an increasingly believable scenario

I don't think it's going full nihilist as much as "i'll show those fuckers, i'll get what i deserve"

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

RandomReader posted:

She bet it all on saidincoin.

She bought the Wu-Tang album

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Actually iirc she was investigated for ethical concerns so that's a very relevant reference

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
My favorite part of Winter's Heart was the Chosen all showing up to do something and getting loving sniped like crazy by Cadsuane and the Ashaman wielding Callandor. Then they all just kind of were like " Well gently caress this I'm leaving".

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Hollismason posted:

My favorite part of Winter's Heart was the Chosen all showing up to do something and getting loving sniped like crazy by Cadsuane and the Ashaman wielding Callandor. Then they all just kind of were like " Well gently caress this I'm leaving".

For me it was Moghedien showing up, taking one look and saying "gently caress that", and just sitting around with a bowl of popcorn watching everyone else fight.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jaxyon posted:

Mesaana turned evil cause they made her fight for dollar bills during an ice hockey game, checks out

franks
Jan 1, 2007

Alcoholism is the only
disease you can get
yelled at for having.

Hollismason posted:

Oh poo poo I killed someone. Never mind, not a forsaken, just that dumb guy Dashiva

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Moghedien is the best forsaken

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

franks posted:

Oh poo poo I killed someone. Never mind, not a forsaken, just that dumb guy Dashiva

This is the best part. Is it Elza?

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Hollismason posted:

Those scenes were so good. Did you catch that one of the Forsaken got killed by Elza, the Darkfriend that Verin messed with?

franks posted:

Yup, love it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

RC Cola posted:

This is the best part. Is it Elza?

Yes! "Who the gently caress cares, it's just a renegade Ashaman, not one of the Chosen"

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Hollismason posted:

Everything about the Forsaken getting clowned by Rand's allies during that battle owned.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

RC Cola posted:

Moghedien is the best forsaken

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Prairie Bus posted:

Those scenes were so good. Did you catch that one of the Forsaken got killed by Elza, the Darkfriend that Verin messed with?

Yup, love it.

I must have missed that which one?

Trying to get through Crossroads of Twilight but the book has now sidetracked to Egwene and the White tower siege. Kind of dull reading with not much happening.

Its been well over half the book and we still haven't seen Rand except for all the channelers to freak out at all the one power that was being drawn and creating a beacon for everyone who could channel.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Dec 15, 2021

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Hollismason posted:

Trying to get through Crossroads of Twilight but the book has now sidetracked

That's Crossroads alright.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

which of the chosen would y'all want to work for?

i'd be down to sign on with ishamael or demandred tbh

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Finally got to the Rand chapters of Crossroads of Twilight which seems to be going nowhere. Glad we finally got to Rand.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

SerSpook posted:

Asmodean, probably. Chill dude, cool tunes, low key schemes that aren't likely to get me killed.

Definitely not Lanfear, that whole "I'll flay you alive with the Power if I get pissed enough" thing is a bit of a turn-off.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

SerSpook posted:

Ishamael: can satisfy him with enough word salad business buzz words

Demandred: super hands off 95% of the time, but the other 5% puts you into ultra stress fire drill mode by randomly demanding an 8am deep dive update on a project you’ve barely worked on at 10pm the night before

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

jng2058 posted:

Asmodean, probably. Chill dude, cool tunes, low key schemes that aren't likely to get me killed.

Definitely not Lanfear, that whole "I'll flay you alive with the Power if I get pissed enough" thing is a bit of a turn-off.

probably my number three choice

i like ishamael because he's the naeblis (providing some protection from other chosen) and, while quite insane, doesn't really seem like he just randomly murders his minions or anything. rewards also seem quite good, when you succeed. just don't gently caress up

demandred is just very competent. unlikely to waste my life in some foolish mission, if he's getting me killed there's a reason for it. also his grudge is with lews therin, i'm not lews therin so it feels kinda safe. feels like if you fail, he's the most likely to just give you a critique and equip you to succeed next time, even if he'd be an rear end in a top hat about it

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Well I'm not a fan of Graendal's 'tear your brains into shreds' policy but I do like her 'everyone gets to be really pretty' policy so I'm conflicted

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Rarity posted:

Well I'm not a fan of Graendal's 'tear your brains into shreds' policy but I do like her 'everyone gets to be really pretty' policy so I'm conflicted

Well you've got nothing to worry about then

Personally I wouldn't work for them, I'd set myself up as one

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Well you've got nothing to worry about then

Personally I wouldn't work for them, I'd set myself up as one

pulling a taim, i respect the game but good luck

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

SerSpook posted:

probably my number three choice

i like ishamael because he's the naeblis (providing some protection from other chosen) and, while quite insane, doesn't really seem like he just randomly murders his minions or anything. rewards also seem quite good, when you succeed. just don't gently caress up

demandred is just very competent. unlikely to waste my life in some foolish mission, if he's getting me killed there's a reason for it. also his grudge is with lews therin, i'm not lews therin so it feels kinda safe. feels like if you fail, he's the most likely to just give you a critique and equip you to succeed next time, even if he'd be an rear end in a top hat about it

FWIW Jaichim "Call me Bors" Carridin was working for Ishamael and that did not go well for him

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

FWIW Jaichim "Call me Bors" Carridin was working for Ishamael and that did not go well for him

idr if he was at all competent tbh, if he was then i guess i'm signing on with demandred. i bet he has a good pension plan

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

SerSpook posted:

idr if he was at all competent tbh

Big no

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Tar Valon is basically Paris before it outgrew the island, right?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Asmodean will always be that one bizarre fly in the ointment in the statement that the 13 Forsaken trapped were the most important ones. His only talents were as a rather successful composer (though apparently nowhere near as good as he could have been with effort) and a moderately competent, but not exceptional, administrator. He's not even particularly strong in the One Power (compared to his compatriots). Compared to the likes of the person who helped release the Dark One in the first place and was the first to pledge, the person just a step below the Dragon in terms of ability, the one who created the Dark One's army, etc.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Lord Koth posted:

Asmodean will always be that one bizarre fly in the ointment in the statement that the 13 Forsaken trapped were the most important ones. His only talents were as a rather successful composer (though apparently nowhere near as good as he could have been with effort) and a moderately competent, but not exceptional, administrator. He's not even particularly strong in the One Power (compared to his compatriots). Compared to the likes of the person who helped release the Dark One in the first place and was the first to pledge, the person just a step below the Dragon in terms of ability, the one who created the Dark One's army, etc.

He was just the 13th most selfish aes sedai out there, basically.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

yeah i didn't think so

ishamael 100% seems like the type of boss that will give you a directive and give resources to do it, but if you gently caress up he's gonna have your rear end. and i mean literally, he's gonna send a fade to chop that fucker off for his trophy wall and then drown you in brandy

but if you meet the goal you get a nice bonus and get to live another week

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

rocketrobot posted:

Tar Valon is basically Paris before it outgrew the island, right?

I mean, google "map of Tar Valon" [NWS]

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

I've always figured Asmodean just lucked into it. I'm imagining him showing up to premiere his newest "Anthem of Darkness", tuning his harp before his big debut, when "Hey, what's that bright light...."

Afterwards, once they figured he was in there, it was more "Asmodean's there too? drat, he must have been more important than we thought!"

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

jng2058 posted:

I've always figured Asmodean just lucked into it. I'm imagining him showing up to premiere his newest "Anthem of Darkness", tuning his harp before his big debut, when "Hey, what's that bright light...."

Afterwards, once they figured he was in there, it was more "Asmodean's there too? drat, he must have been more important than we thought!"

100% there just to provide entertainment and ambience to the rest of the chosen. he'd been working all week on ishamael's entrance music, and demandred's he'd had to a polished shine

then lews therin and his hundred companions put the dark one's head through a steel chair, unfortunately he got a big whiff of the dark one's taint in the process, driving him mad. hadn't cleaned that in years

SerSpook fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Dec 15, 2021

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I mean for all we know, Ishamael called them all there for a battle royale, or maybe a tea party.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I mean for all we know, Ishamael called them all there for a battle royale, or maybe a tea party.

the chosen rumble

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

Rarity posted:

Can you at least request the 'death by too much pleasure' option? I mean, if I have to go out that one doesn't sound as bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Lord Koth posted:

He was more powerful than Be'lal, and he got his third name. Which is something more than some of the other forsaken.

Yea, if I had to pick one to work for it'd be Asmodean. He doesn't even DO anything.

Edit: Actually WoT wiki is weird about Asmodean. Because it says he was a capable administrator, and his sectors didn't do the attrocities that other forsaken did. Except that any musician who ever said anything bad about his art, or who he felt ever tried to rival him, were maimed in some way so they couldn't not do that art ever again and then released.

It says that as the worst thing he ever did, and then just offhand mentioned that he severed his own mother and gave her to the fades for their pleasure.

CainFortea fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Dec 15, 2021