Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
The real frightening thing is that's not the only one available, which tells me there's a market for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Trabant posted:

If you missed the Lowe's table saw deal, Alibaba's got you covered with the Shopsmith Mark 666:

That's right, it's a table saw with an inline jointer and drill.

I'd post it in the OSHA thread but I'm catching up on something like 39k posts there.

It's pretty much because of Tony Hawk, but New Girl was always my favorite song of theirs.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Bob Mundon posted:

The real frightening thing is that's not the only one available, which tells me there's a market for it.

These were marketed in the 50-60s a lot more heavily but surprisingly you can get a brand new EzDecapitation machine from shopsmith dot com today!

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Trabant posted:

If you missed the Lowe's table saw deal, Alibaba's got you covered with the Shopsmith Mark 666:

I'd post it in the OSHA thread but I'm catching up on something like 39k posts there.

I would be proud to own that deathtrap.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

What you do with that is put a spinning feed mechanism in the drill chuck and then have it automatically joint and rip your planks at the same time. It's actually safer than having the tools separate if you think about it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I like that it has more than one way to catch onto something you're wearing or your hair and as rapidly as possible pull your hand or your forehead directly into a spinning blade.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i dont like that at all, personally

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I wonder if they all spin all the time or if there is a way to select. I hope they all spin, all the time.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

all spin, all the time.

Hell yes

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

I refuse to believe there's a way to spin those bits independently.

Also--is that drill supposed to be a "lathe headstock"?

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003

tater_salad posted:

These were marketed in the 50-60s a lot more heavily but surprisingly you can get a brand new EzDecapitation machine from shopsmith dot com today!

I don't recall seeing a jointer in a smopsmith.

In any case, the ability to bore holes in your nuts while you remove digits from each hand with the jointer and table saw all at the same time is a real time saver.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Bob Mundon posted:

I don't recall seeing a jointer in a smopsmith.

In any case, the ability to bore holes in your nuts while you remove digits from each hand with the jointer and table saw all at the same time is a real time saver.

Wow, really need to integrate this into my workflow.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

tracecomplete posted:

Also--is that drill supposed to be a "lathe headstock"?

Don't think so:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Trabant posted:

Don't think so:

Hahahaha holy poo poo that's amazing

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Ah yes just point the drill bit towards yourself at waist level...

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

oh wow i thought i was misunderstanding something about how that's supposed to work

jesus christ

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
It's your one stop shop for dismemberment and sterilization.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Trabant posted:

lmao the e-stop is right next to the spinning drill chuck

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST

Trabant posted:

Don't think so:

I think you normally use that setup with a table mounted below the chuck to set your work piece on rather than just free handling it like that.

Now if you are in the market for a high quality flesh remover you gotta get yourself one of these accursed things off aliexpress

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...229225764%22%7D

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Just searching "power tool" on ali express gets some :stonklol: results like BLIMATKO angle grinders or an attachments that turn a drill into a reciprocating saw

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

HolHorsejob posted:

lmao the e-stop is right next to the spinning drill chuck

thats so your spinning carcass stands a chance of hitting it and shutting down power. If anything thats some smart engineering.

E: Assuming its not an ornamental E-stop.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I had no idea Alibaba was such a rabbit hole of sketchy tools.

Next years HCH Secret Santa should require you to buy your santee something <$20 from Alibaba.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
I decided not to drive 40 minutes each yesterday to get that Delta table saw because my saw is "fine" and then today I had an irritating experience in the interaction between my saw's fence not being perfectly parallel to the blade and the riving knife. Feels bad.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

wesleywillis posted:

ornamental E-stop.

This made me wonder if you could get ornamental e-stop buttons on Ali. I didn't see any that are intentionally non-working but I did find a review of one by a Russian buyer who used the most Russian of objects for scale:

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Don't know why you're all freaking out about the safety of that tool, the guy is clearly wearing safety wool gloves. Those should get pulled right off his hand, winding themselves into the various spinning implements and gumming up the works nice and quick.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Degloving, but now as a safety feature.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Trabant posted:

This made me wonder if you could get ornamental e-stop buttons on Ali. I didn't see any that are intentionally non-working but I did find a review of one by a Russian buyer who used the most Russian of objects for scale:

This picture is freaking art.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Just Winging It posted:

Degloving is a safety feature.

thread title

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000223O8/
6" Freud dado set for $63.50 from Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012YF25Q
8" Oshlun dado set for $66.50.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Are there any recommendations for one-handed reciprocating saws? My dad is the type of person who comes back from a day working construction to fix up his previously neglected farm and it seems really handy for stuff in more awkward locations or where you want to be able to stabilize stuff with your other hand. I found a review of a bunch that was aggregating opinions from various users on ergonomics and measuring the time it took to cut through various materials but it only had a few options.

In particular I was looking at the Milwaukee M12 Fuel since a friend of mine has their impact driver and impact wrench and they work great, if that stubby impact wrench doesn’t get something loose odds are I need to grab the breaker bar.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Dec 19, 2021

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Are there any recommendations for one-handed reciprocating saws? My dad is the type of person who comes back from a day working construction to fix up his previously neglected farm and it seems really handy for stuff in more awkward locations or where you want to be able to stabilize stuff with your other hand. I found a review of a bunch that was aggregating opinions from various users on ergonomics and measuring the time it took to cut through various materials but it only had a few options.

I have personally never used one but if you are in the ecosystem I have heard people sing praises for the little m18 hackzalls.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
The M12 Hackzall is pretty lovely. Not sure about the M12 FUEL. It's probably much better. I have the M18 FUEL and I have no need for a regular Sawzall anymore because it has cut through anything I've thrown at it with ease, including 2x and 4x lumber.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

22 Eargesplitten posted:

In particular I was looking at the Milwaukee M12 Fuel since a friend of mine has their impact driver and impact wrench and they work great, if that stubby impact wrench doesn’t get something loose odds are I need to grab the breaker bar.

Does your dad already have rechargeable cordless tools? If so just get the one for that line.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

He has so many different brands and I don't know why. Just off the top of my head from when I was working for him he had Bosch, Makita, and DeWalt cordless tools, but it has been long enough that I don't know what he currently has or what series they were if any of those tools didn't walk off at a job site. That was 10+ years ago too so I don't think the brushless lines were so much of a thing back then.

E: I'll see if my mom knows, she does a lot of work around the house too.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Dec 19, 2021

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I have the M12 non-Fuel Hackzall and it's fine for small jobs. I've used it for things like cutting pvc pipes and breaking down MDF stuff. I kinda wish I had the Fuel variant though.

The M18 would likely handle way more stuff but for smaller jobs of lightweight material it's fine.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
A one-handed sawzall is a great gift though. As long as you get one they have batteries for it'll get used.

Whatever brand works for your dad, try to get a brushless one if you can.

For anyone who might need to get gifts for someone far away, Home Depot has a "scheduled delivery" option where a delivery service will take the item from the closest Home Depot to a person's house. I live in Maryland and I bought my brother in Utah a Makita cordless work light. For $9 HD delivered it to his door. It was at his house 3 hours after I submitted the online order. This was yesterday, on the weekend before Christmas, the busiest shopping and shipping days of the year.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I decided to just ask him what brand he used, looks like he uses Milwaukee after all but he also mentioned that he doesn't have a cordless circular saw so I guess I'll get him one of those. What size blade should I be going with? I've never bought one, just used other people's. Looks like 7 1/4" is the standard size?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I decided to just ask him what brand he used, looks like he uses Milwaukee after all but he also mentioned that he doesn't have a cordless circular saw so I guess I'll get him one of those. What size blade should I be going with? I've never bought one, just used other people's. Looks like 7 1/4" is the standard size?

7 1/4" is great but (and granted I have other tools for dealing with sheets and dimensional lumber) I have made it a drat long time just using the little 6 1/2" that came with my batteries. I actually love the poo poo out of how light it is and how easily I can use it working vertically like on a wall or when I just need to make a quick recut on a rough milled board.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

IMO the big thing that 7.25 has going for it blade availability. It’s the standard for corded saws so there’s just more blade options for 7.25 saws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Literally A Person posted:

7 1/4" is great but (and granted I have other tools for dealing with sheets and dimensional lumber) I have made it a drat long time just using the little 6 1/2" that came with my batteries. I actually love the poo poo out of how light it is and how easily I can use it working vertically like on a wall or when I just need to make a quick recut on a rough milled board.
Weight really should be a big factor for purchasing circular saws. Currently my only circular saw is a huge corded Milwaukee, and it's great and all that it's powerful enough to kill God, but it's heavy enough that I avoid using it whenever I can feasibly use something else.