Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Declan MacManus posted:

took inoue a while. Washed Up?!!!!???

Lol

For real though that kid took a loving beating, doesn’t even have a wiki page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
kids face looked like a rough cut of meat

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

can't decide if it's not a tight guard or if inoue is just that good at aiming punches

could be both

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

The IOC has removed boxing and weightlifting from the summer games in LA. Pretty bullshit if you ask me

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Boxing I bet but weightlifting sucks. The boxing was just too comically corrupt even for the IOC

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
yeah boxing has been a disgrace to the ioc for decades. i'm pretty unsurprised it's shitcanned.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Marching Powder posted:

yeah boxing has been a disgrace to the ioc for decades. i'm pretty unsurprised it's shitcanned.

Is it more or less corrupt than figure skating

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Boxing this summer was great, the Olympics finally had a format that was fun. Yeah historically it’s been a black eye, but this year was really fun and pretty straightforward

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Removing weightlifting is crazy. Removing boxing is probably a fine decision even if I’m a fan of it.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Mr. F! posted:

The IOC has removed boxing and weightlifting from the summer games in LA. Pretty bullshit if you ask me

China is going to be furious about the weightlifting move. They've been rolling out beast-mode gold medalists (using methods we can only imagine) for years.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

No Lu is some bullshit.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

LLCoolJD posted:

China is going to be furious about the weightlifting move. They've been rolling out beast-mode gold medalists (using methods we can only imagine) for years.

Yeah, pretty crazy. They also dropped the pentathlon. Weightlifting, boxing and pentathlon has been part of the Olympics for hundreds of years!

Bad choice imo

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

I read that as corrupt as boxing was, somehow international weightlifting was even worse

Mrs. Dash
Apr 11, 2009

Mr. F! posted:

Yeah, pretty crazy. They also dropped the pentathlon. Weightlifting, boxing and pentathlon has been part of the Olympics for hundreds of years!

Bad choice imo

I don't think it's a "confirmed dropped" situation. It's more that the federations in charge of those sports have been told they're not on the list but they can get back on the list if they make whatever changes the ioc is looking for

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Modern pentathlon sucks rear end though

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Mrs. Dash posted:

but they can get back on the list if they make whatever changes the ioc is looking for

Oh, so just more zeroes in the check amount.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

ilmucche posted:

Modern pentathlon sucks rear end though

It's not even 5 events anymore, they combined the running & the shooting into one event; "the laser-run"

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Troy Queef posted:

I read that as corrupt as boxing was, somehow international weightlifting was even worse

Yeah they were openly threatened with being expelled if they didn't do some reforms and refused. I think the international wieghtlifting chief basically gets constant bribes to overlook failed drugs tests and wanted that more than the olympics

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/28/sports/olympics/weight-lifting-olympics.html

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Artur Beterbiev vs Marcus Browne tonight. Sneaky big/relevant fight. Browne is world class, 5 years younger, the bigger man, and a pretty slick technician. None of that has mattered in the past against Beterbiev, but it's an intriguing fight anyway.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Is a great matchup imo. Beterbiev is getting up there in years but as they say power is the last thing to go, and he's got plenty of it.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Main event about to start on ESPN+

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

lol this anthem recording

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Star Spangled Banner: The Directors Cut

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Oh my god just get to the fight

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Took long enough, that poo poo was putting me to sleep

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Oh gently caress lol

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

*me shouting into thread, voice echoes* hello?!!!!!!!!! Anybody?!!!!?!

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Keeps stepping on Browne's foot lol

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

:drat: mother fucker with that crater in his head

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
I missed the fight until now. Is that gash due to a punch or from a headbutt?

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Hahaha oh gently caress

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Welp

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Beterbiev: still a beast.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Dr.Radical posted:

I missed the fight until now. Is that gash due to a punch or from a headbutt?

Was an unintentional headbutt. They both suffered cuts but Beterbiev's was nasty. The doctor said he'd give Beterbiev one more round after the 4th round and the ref just let it keep going.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
42-0 Gilberto Ramirez fights tomorrow. Hopefully 2022 sees fights between him, Beterbiev, Dmitry Bivol and Joe Smith.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Beterbiev: still a beast.

:emptyquote:

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Kovalev in his peak destroyed guys and looked invincible doing it. Beterbiev doesn't look invincible, but he does look unstoppable. Would love to see him against Canelo in the next year, that's the fight to make.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

The Ninth Layer posted:

Would love to see him against Canelo in the next year, that's the fight to make.

still can't quite wrap my head around this sentence being possible

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

The Ninth Layer posted:

Kovalev in his peak destroyed guys and looked invincible doing it. Beterbiev doesn't look invincible, but he does look unstoppable. Would love to see him against Canelo in the next year, that's the fight to make.

The difference between Kovalev and Beterbiev is that by all accounts, Beterbiev is a gym rat. Kovalev basically became washed overnight in the second Andre Ward fight and his lifestyle clearly caught up to him around that point. The Kovalev that Canelo fought was quite clearly a shadow of his former self.

Beterbiev is still essentially in his prime and if a Canelo/Beterbiev fight is made in 2022 I'd personally favour Beterbiev. Guy is a loving wood chipper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyfire
Jul 2, 2004

Chisora-Parker is getting fun. Delboy is massively down on rounds, been knocked down a couple of times but he keeps swinging away.