Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If you don't kill Garland then Chaos never happens so the only winning move is not to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Not play final fantasy? Haha no

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

D&D is butt

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

zedprime posted:

If you don't kill Garland then Chaos never happens so the only winning move is not to play.

You misunderstand.

I'm here to goddamn kill Chaos.

If Tin Man over there has to go before there is a Chaos to be killed, then call me Bowling Ball cause I'm gonna knock him all kinds of down, strike after strike.

Hire me to write your dialog, SE.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Evil Fluffy posted:

Whenever they finish the remakes in 2085 I fully expect that to be the ending. "You made things 'better' but everything you fought against had to happen to prevent a bigger tragedy so now you need to stop yourselves and restore the timeline."

the whole point is that she didn't need to die, her death is just sad and meaningless

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Aeris needed to die because she was a boring character.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I guess that depends on whether you think Aerith is the one who made the Lifestream join with Holy in order to make it repel Meteor, or if the Lifestream would have done that even if she hadn't died. Remember that at first Meteor was successfully breaking through Holy's power because it had gotten too close and too strong for Holy to stop. If Aerith was the cause of the Lifestream combining with Holy, then her death was necessary, because without her Meteor wins. If it wasn't, then yeah it was sad and pointless.

However, during the ending sequence, Marlene is sitting in Kalm and suddenly looks around and says "The flower girl?" When the Lifestream starts combining with Holy, Aerith's face gets shown. These aren't conclusive evidence of course but the implication is very strong that the Lifestream joining with Holy actually was because of Aerith and thus her death was necessary.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Aeriths plan all along: take over the life stream.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

It makes sense in a weird way, if the Planet is a living entity then it knows humans are loving it up, and with Sephiroth/Jenova gone, there's no reason for it to stop Meteor. Meteor wipes out all humans and the Planet can begin to recover. Aerith being a medium to tell the Planet "No, humans are capable of being good, my friends can put things right, and create a world where we live in harmony with you" so that it decides "Well okay, guess I'll stop Meteor then" works.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Aeris needed to die because she was a boring character.

No she doesnt? Like fr she is a bitch, but in a good way, i love how much she fucks with cloud at every oppurtunity

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Meteor eats planets though

Or is that Jenova

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
steam still says 2021 for ffvipr

Gonna start holding my breath..... now.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Someone on the FF subreddit posted screenshots from 6PR from Famitsu today. Looks real good. The opera scene looks like it got Octopath’ed a bit.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

aerith is the best bisexual representation gaming has ever had

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

jokes posted:

Or is that Jenova

Jenova is The Thing, it pretends to be part of a native species so it can kill them all. Meteor just smashes into planets and presumably destroys them. Could be like a dinosaur extinction meteor where it kicks up dust into the atmosphere on a planetary level and wipes out living things on it, though, instead of destroying the planet entirely.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

jokes posted:

Or is that Jenova
Galactus.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Loving the opera scene

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

jokes posted:

Loving the opera scene

Yeah that looks really good.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the march towards narshe looks great too, very moody.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
They did away with the sad and angry faces from the mobile port.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Dec 17, 2021

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Scalding Coffee posted:

They did away with the sad and angry faces from the mobile port.

what's that? they had little Golden Sun emoticons?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It was something like all the guys had this angry at everything look with their eyebrows and the girls didn't have the raised eyebrows. The mobile port that was godawful to look at, not the PR mobile version.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Dec 17, 2021

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

That opera scene is straight-up HD-2D, that rules

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Scalding Coffee posted:

It was something like all the guys had this angry at everything look with their eyebrows and the girls didn't have the raised eyebrows. The mobile port that was godawful to look at, not the PR mobile version.

That was the Matrix style, Dimensions and FF5 had the same deal. That one thing annoyed me more than anything else about the ports.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
Folks??? im just gonna let you know: Im here to kill chaos

JoJosSiwaAdventure
Nov 3, 2021

by Pragmatica
on the one hand, $115 AUD. on the other...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvKZz0Oe29M

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Lady Radia posted:

Folks??? im just gonna let you know: Im here to kill chaos

No but I’m here to kill chaos

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

jokes posted:

No but I’m here to kill chaos

Bullshit

*starts blasting Limp Bizkit*

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Now that we can look back on Nu-Metal with nostalgia instead of oversaturation, Im very excited for Jack's quest to become the thing he kills

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Harrow posted:

That opera scene is straight-up HD-2D, that rules

Looks straight-up actual 3D to me, so I wonder if there's gonna be dramatic camera movements and lighting during the opera, which would be amazing.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

drat modders work fast.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Doing some FF12 model extraction. So many cool weapon designs, and this is just "swords" (not "greatswords" or "dual-wielding judge weapons" or any of the other 300+ models).
https://twitter.com/vgcartography/status/1471852675616620548?s=20

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

That opera scene looks crazy good

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Electromax posted:

Doing some FF12 model extraction. So many cool weapon designs, and this is just "swords" (not "greatswords" or "dual-wielding judge weapons" or any of the other 300+ models).
https://twitter.com/vgcartography/status/1471852675616620548?s=20

Ohh, the Flametounge and the Runeblade are badass! I love how ornate some of these swords are.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The sheer amount of detail in FFXII is really amazing.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

My neighbor who I play games with brought up that his wife is looking for an RPG to play. She's been super into Skyrim recently, but I guess the real-time element of the combat stresses her out, so he wondered if I had any turn-based recommendations to give. I asked if she preferred story or gameplay, and he answered the former, so I said she should try FF6, 9, or X.

Are those fair suggestions? For someone relatively casual, are one of those better than the other? Should I have suggested 4?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Really most Final Fantasy games would have been perfectly good suggestions. One nice thing about FFX is it has the fewest real-time elements to its combat (aside from the button presses during Overdrives) so if she wants fully turn-based that's the best call. Though FFIX also has slow enough combat pace, especially if you turn on Wait mode, that it would work just fine, too.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Blue Labrador posted:

My neighbor who I play games with brought up that his wife is looking for an RPG to play. She's been super into Skyrim recently, but I guess the real-time element of the combat stresses her out, so he wondered if I had any turn-based recommendations to give. I asked if she preferred story or gameplay, and he answered the former, so I said she should try FF6, 9, or X.

Are those fair suggestions? For someone relatively casual, are one of those better than the other? Should I have suggested 4?

Those seem like good calls, I don't know if I'd recommend 4 up front to anyone who didn't grow up with it or its contemporaries. I grew up with 4 being my absolute favorite and I'm firmly of the opinion that its story/characters/gameplay are more iconic than actually good

I think I realized on my last playthrough that there isn't a single dungeon in that game that doesn't annoy the poo poo out of me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

This Reddit post has more FF6 pixel remaster screen shots that look like they came from a video, though I can't find the video anywhere yet: https://www.reddit.com/r/FinalFantasy/comments/rijvms/pictures_of_final_fantasy_vi_pixel_remaster/