Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

My obsessive checking of ebay for pgs allowed me to snag a built pg exia for 250 canadian. I'm gonna dissamble it to paint it and add a third party led system so it technically sill counts as building a model!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

Ibblebibble posted:

I've only got two ver Kas and they're the ZZ and Sazabi. Will happily recommend both.

The FAZZ is also a cool kit, though it's functionally the ZZ with armor and a big gun.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I have the Nu Ver Ka and the original Hi Nu.

There are eons of engineering improvement in between them but I enjoyed both.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/necome_titan/status/1468691740622483456

Unrelated but I just got some Mr Mark Setter and Softer for the first time. What's the general use order for them? I know that Softer has a decent cure time where I shouldn't touch it for a while.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I've just seen that an HG Alteisen has just come out (and is completely out of stock for now, by the looks of it) so will be looking to grab one of those, but for someone who doesn't follow SRW, why are Bandai now making kits for it when Kotobukiya used to do them? It actually looks odd to me as besides having a bunch of Bandai properties in, I believe SRW has always been under the Bandai umbrella?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Ibblebibble posted:

https://twitter.com/necome_titan/status/1468691740622483456

Unrelated but I just got some Mr Mark Setter and Softer for the first time. What's the general use order for them? I know that Softer has a decent cure time where I shouldn't touch it for a while.

While it's not absolutely necessary on good plastic, your life will be easier if you gloss coat first. Then a dab of Setter on the spot where you want the decal, move it around as you need, let it dry, then Softer until it's flat. You can gently poke at it with the Softer brush, but don't go too crazy or you'll tear the decal. Once that's visibly dry you should be good to go, but you really should put a top coat over the decals, both for aesthetics and for protecting them from contact.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

BizarroAzrael posted:

I've just seen that an HG Alteisen has just come out (and is completely out of stock for now, by the looks of it) so will be looking to grab one of those, but for someone who doesn't follow SRW, why are Bandai now making kits for it when Kotobukiya used to do them? It actually looks odd to me as besides having a bunch of Bandai properties in, I believe SRW has always been under the Bandai umbrella?

It used to be Banpresto until recently apparently which was partially but not fully owned by Bandai/Bandai Namco. Since 2019 its full Bandai Namco though which explains the switchover to Bandai Spirits I guess.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

Stuff gets licensed all over the place. There are three different companies that have made Full Metal Panic kits, for example, and Macross gets around too.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Everyone's favorite YouTube paint authority Barbatos Rex has announced he has partnered with MCW (Model Car World) to release his own line of paints labeled Mecha Empire.

His first set is 10 anodized aluminum colors. Enamel based. He is working with them to release primary Lacquer colors, and Gundam specific colors and expects those to be available shortly as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VB72L652KGo

I put an order in, I respect his channel, and they look like they'll be really nice for details.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Finished my slightly fancied up EG RX-78 America Type.

Really love the Silver Plating EX gundam marker. Goes on like magic. The bits where it's a lil hosed up are from me trying to clean up some tiny missed spots- but if you do just a single coat it's a smooth near-mirror finish with zero effort.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
That owns. Looks great on those leg joints!

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Finished the Justice

Getting closer to being finished my next project. Starting on the diorama big hint of what the diorama is:

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Gundams chilling

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

https://hobby.dengeki.com/news/1423179/
Nice, btw if you need a thread subtitle "Only available in resin" would work

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
A dang HG Gespenst too, oo ma ma

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
There's a new 30MM weapon pack announced and it's a belt-fed chaingun :fap:

...And it releases in June next year.... :negative:

Also a field backpack that looks to be like the Ground Gundam's, but it doesn't show off what the weapon inside is "intended" to set up as.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

EthanSteele posted:

A dang HG Gespenst too, oo ma ma

They also revealed the new IBO kits, including a Gundam and a Graze.

Personally, I'm hoping the Gespent at least has a mention of the VTX crew in the manual, although I suspect my hopes are in vain.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

chiasaur11 posted:

They also revealed the new IBO kits, including a Gundam and a Graze.

Personally, I'm hoping the Gespent at least has a mention of the VTX crew in the manual, although I suspect my hopes are in vain.

This is the most Gyobu Gundam yet

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Also a field backpack that looks to be like the Ground Gundam's, but it doesn't show off what the weapon inside is "intended" to set up as.

I think it's just the rifle and accessories in the second shot.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RillAkBea posted:

I think it's just the rifle and accessories in the second shot.

Yeah you're right; I think my eyes glazed over it a bit the first time and I thought it was one of the standard 30MM guns. All the bits together made me read it as some kind of field weapon like a mortar or something.

Also Bandai have create a magical tool - an official parts separator.

maninthesuit
Jul 13, 2017
God gundam, a new Grimgerde, a Gespenst and a moderoid all going up for preorder on the same day. Welp, that's my budget for May and June next year murdered.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Wait a second

It's just a green Dom!

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeah you're right; I think my eyes glazed over it a bit the first time and I thought it was one of the standard 30MM guns. All the bits together made me read it as some kind of field weapon like a mortar or something.

Also Bandai have create a magical tool - an official parts separator.

Yeah it's a folding rifle/cannon. Basically just like the Ground Gundam except 30mm stuff can be broken down by default due to modularity.

The HG Gespenst also includes inactive slash rippers that can be stored on the same brackets that mount the missile pods to the wings. It's unclear to me whether they're separate from the slash ripper with clear effects parts since the plastic color between the two isn't the same.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
These are pretty sick

Cyclase's Schwalbe

Siegrune

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Wait a second

It's just a green Dom!

I've made an order for two of the gatling guns, the backpack, that green Not-Dom kit, and the new Head Set B. Gonna make another chonky heavy-gunner robot slinging dual belt-fed gatling guns with back missiles :black101:.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!
I got a hankering for RG Zaku should I resist or is it a manageable build?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

It's not too bad, but it's an early RG so there's a few bits that have the habit of falling off when you're posing like the front skirt flaps. Also, Zaku tubes are still a pain in the rear end.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Sazabi posted:

I got a hankering for RG Zaku should I resist or is it a manageable build?

I made an RG Zaku a few months ago and I have to say its problems are way over exaggerated.
The hoses really aren't a big deal. They're just more difficult than your average gunpla build so just be more patient and go slower and you'll be fine.
I don't remember any pieces falling off. I did have a hard time getting it to stand up for the final pose though. If you don't have a stand, maybe don't expect an action scene.
If you have a strong aversion to decals you might find it frustrating. There are a lot and some are real small. You can always choose to just not apply them if they're not your thing.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
This was shared on a goon discord and somehow never made it to this thread. So I figured I'd share for everyone else to admire. A gingerbread grandpa:

https://twitter.com/crafty_calamity/status/1470384704905953280?s=21

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

JuffoWup posted:

This was shared on a goon discord and somehow never made it to this thread. So I figured I'd share for everyone else to admire. A gingerbread grandpa:

https://twitter.com/crafty_calamity/status/1470384704905953280?s=21

Yes, yes they are.

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!

Skrillmub posted:

I made an RG Zaku a few months ago and I have to say its problems are way over exaggerated.
The hoses really aren't a big deal. They're just more difficult than your average gunpla build so just be more patient and go slower and you'll be fine.
I don't remember any pieces falling off. I did have a hard time getting it to stand up for the final pose though. If you don't have a stand, maybe don't expect an action scene.
If you have a strong aversion to decals you might find it frustrating. There are a lot and some are real small. You can always choose to just not apply them if they're not your thing.

The pipes gave me a bit of trouble- I resorted to just clipping off the plastic segments one by one and sliding them on manually rather than doing the thread-through thing. It was a bit time-consuming, but no more so than doing RG decals, so there is hope if the method in the instruction manual doesn't work out.

Burns
May 10, 2008

The RG Zaku pipes are annoying but do make the whole thing look good. But overall its a shaky kit.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
It has the common early-RG problem where the posable hands are absolutely trash, but the RG Zaku was the first Gunpla I built and I didn't gently caress it up too bad.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'd recommend the Johnny Ridden RG Zaku. You sacrifice the insane bend at the knees for a sturdier overall model.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Finally got back into plastic cocaine after almost two years, in part because I ran out of space to put them. I've moved, bought shelving, working on a MG Barbatos and man is it a great kit. Any recentish standouts, doesn't have to be Gundam, I def want to get my hands on the RG EVA-01 for example?

Mordja fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Dec 17, 2021

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Why in hell is the Barbatos still the only MG IBO kit? Surely they could make the Lupus Rex with only a bit of retooling, and the Bael uses the exact same frame doesn't it?

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Diet Poison posted:

Why in hell is the Barbatos still the only MG IBO kit? Surely they could make the Lupus Rex with only a bit of retooling, and the Bael uses the exact same frame doesn't it?

It's relatively new and the first IBO kit in the grade.

Seeing as IBO and their kits are super popular, I'm sure they have a ton of kits in the pipeline.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Mordja posted:

Finally got back into plastic cocaine after almost two years, in part because I ran out of space to put them. I've moved, bought shelving, working on a MG Barbatos and man is it a great kit. Any recentish standouts, doesn't have to be Gundam, I def want to get my hands on the RG EVA-01 for example?

the RG Evas are fantastic, so are the RG Nu/Sazabi.

the new MGs of the 00 suits have also been great too (well the Dynames and Kyrios are, I haven't built the Virtue yet).

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
I found the Battlelog kits at Target, no Livelance, but they had the Barbataurus. Which is an interesting build. Wasn't expecting basically two Barbatos kits attached via a method that can best be described as "shoving one Barbatos' head up the other's rear end"

Arc Hammer posted:

I'd recommend the Johnny Ridden RG Zaku. You sacrifice the insane bend at the knees for a sturdier overall model.

It's okay, but it has issues. Besides the pipes one of those tiny chest panels on mine fires off with the force of a 90s toy missile and I have only found it out of pure luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

ANAmal.net posted:

It has the common early-RG problem where the posable hands are absolutely trash, but the RG Zaku was the first Gunpla I built and I didn't gently caress it up too bad.

I forgot about the terrible hands. I made the green Zaku which comes with optional single pose hands.
Looks like original red Zaku is the only one that only has the fully posable B-runner hands. They're a great idea that does not work at all in reality.