Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

lament.cfg posted:

Polite, problem statement up front, previous attempts to resolve described. This is a perfect ticket for a low skill user.

They even used a ticket and didn't email out IT director!

Glorious

:unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

larchesdanrew posted:

Can you imagine being able to place a curse on users :allears:

can dumb childish pranks count as curses? i had a colleague that kept using the chattr command to keep our configuration management system from overwriting things he modified locally. seeing as this is :wrong:, i wrote a wrapper script that was something like this, and copied it to /usr/local/bin/chattr:

code:
#!/bin/bash
if [ -n "$SUDO_USER" ]; then
     user=$SUDO_USER
else
        user=$USER
fi
rand=$((RANDOM % 20))
if [ "$rand" -eq 0 ]; then
        echo "gently caress You, $user"
else
        /usr/bin/chattr "$@"
fi
i think a few weeks later he was freaking out thinking we had some sort of intrusion and i took responsibility and cleaned it up. we still work together and one of his most recent freakouts was when another team rolled out some sort of azure active directory auth thing and he was aghast that he had to submit his credentials to an external microsoft site.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

We just launched a brand-new website for our company and I received a mail from the internal project team that the site didn't work in Internet Explorer (it gave a message the site wouldn't work, apparently) and if I could fix this.

I explained them the only reason we still have IE is for compatibility with some systems that don't work with anything else, to use Chrome and that if it had to run on IE, they should have included that in their requirements to their supplier (who would have told them to get hosed, and rightly so).

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.

senior director of some poo poo posted:

every workflow is failing
oh sounds serious. i'll follow the trail of fw:fw:fw back to the original source...

actual human posted:

one field is not shown, sometimes

i just need to stop talking to management entirely

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

CaptainJuan posted:

if only

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Right up there with “we need Flash Player on the iPads”

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

quote:

Our nest thermostat doesn't work sometimes with the new access points

Golly jeepers that really isn't ideal. Maybe, and just hear me out here... Maybe... Don't have the shittiest consumer smart thermostat ever invented as your primary method of climate control for your whole business.

Just, you know... Just one professional's opinion :shrug:

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

CaptainJuan posted:

oh sounds serious. i'll follow the trail of fw:fw:fw back to the original source...

I went from a job where I spent hours a day interacting with various managers to one where I talk to my boss once a week. Sometimes less than that even. And it is glorious.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Bargearse posted:

"Why can't we hardwire the iPads into the Ethernet?"

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Bargearse posted:

We had a vendor say to us, just the other day, that "customers typically resolve <this issue> by finding an old computer that still has Flash installed and using it to administer the system." Absolutely not, get the gently caress out.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think Intune was hurriedly moving things over to their Azure-style portal as the Silverlight team were busy killing off the plugin that their previous management console relied on.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Relevant to the thread title.
https://i.imgur.com/nhBuIRI.mp4

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

xiw posted:

this has been a hard learning for me - i'm walking away from a job after building completely bonkers things on top of saas platforms that fundamentally don't support it, and i'm getting a whole bunch of 'well, you should keep on supporting this after you go because we can't find anyone who can look after it' pressure.

It's kind of a psychological trap for tech people I think because, after all, there isn't much that isn't *technically* possible.

Lmao. If its that important to them, quote them a half mil a year for support and shrug if they say no.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Kurieg posted:

I bet that Thinkpad managed to still start up properly afterwards

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

does anyone here use the salesforce itsm solution

i really don't want to, i don't like it, but i'm looking for strong arguments against adoption compared to something like freshservice

our sales and client services teams use salesforce, so some of our leadership (outside of IT) are strongly in favor of IT also adopting salesforce, but...we're just not that impressed by their itsm offerings

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Kurieg posted:

These log4j remedies are getting ridiculous tbh

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

my cat is norris posted:

does anyone here use the salesforce itsm solution

i really don't want to, i don't like it, but i'm looking for strong arguments against adoption compared to something like freshservice

our sales and client services teams use salesforce, so some of our leadership (outside of IT) are strongly in favor of IT also adopting salesforce, but...we're just not that impressed by their itsm offerings

Salesforce doesn't even use their ITSM solution internally.

Not for any good reason, but still.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kurieg posted:

Nothing weird here; Just a laptop with a liquid crystal display.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

you ate my cat posted:

We had a vendor say to us, just the other day, that "customers typically resolve <this issue> by finding an old computer that still has Flash installed and using it to administer the system." Absolutely not, get the gently caress out.

At the time I was working in the public school system, and the teacher who raised the ticket complained to the Department of Education and Training that I was either too lazy or too incompetent to help her.

My reply was a simple, one-line "Apple have never supported Flash Player on any of their iOS devices, and even if they did it would present an unacceptable security risk". The whole thing was quietly dropped and I never heard about it again.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Some good stuff: https://imgur.com/gallery/Hs6kywf

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Oh god, the CPU that's cleanly snapped in half :stare:

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

lol

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

That's a load bearing cable.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's fine, there's a second cable there. That's N+1 redundancy :colbert:

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Stop doxxing me, I have a intel cpu on my keychain too(it’s an old slot a sepp core)

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I took one of those 32MB PC-100 memory sticks from my Christmas wreath when I worked at the television station and fashioned it into a keychain for my bookbag.

I always hoped the CE would notice, but he never did. Wasted opportunity, that.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I remember similar RAM sticks being thrown out when I was enjoying my first ever internship and they were kind of amazed that I cared to keep them. In retrospect it's pretty weird how fast things changed between 1998 and 2006 in storage and memory terms. poo poo got cheap fast. I took them home and happily maxed out the memory in my old Win98 retrogaming machine.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

We have 16 and 32GB SO-DIMMs in a junk closet. Why and how much was spent butting those fuckers from like CDW. They look a couple years old

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Bob Morales posted:

We have 16 and 32GB SO-DIMMs in a junk closet. Why and how much was spent butting those fuckers from like CDW. They look a couple years old

Sir I don't think they're supposed to go in your rear end.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Sir I don't think they're supposed to go in your rear end.

It's a free country.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

GreenNight posted:

It's a free country.

Oh poo poo well I'll take all of it then. I can probably sell it for scrap at the least.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Oh poo poo well I'll take all of it then. I can probably sell it for scrap at the least.

Ok, dad

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

larchesdanrew posted:

I took one of those 32MB PC-100 memory sticks from my Christmas wreath when I worked at the television station and fashioned it into a keychain for my bookbag.

I always hoped the CE would notice, but he never did. Wasted opportunity, that.

I'm glad you've been in a much better place these days, but the stories from your TV Station days is still some of my favorite SH/SC things ever.

Specifically:

The afore mentioned Christmas Wreath of RAM
Buffalo Drives
"That is not your concern"

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Ticket came in, via email, from within the office:

"Is the internet out?"

...you sent an email to ask if the internet was working?
Also, no the internet is not out. Closed.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

"Is the internet out?"

Immediately makes me think of this class: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRGljemfwUE

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I'm giving people one more year before I'm curt about "no, the emails are in the cloud now" response if they email about internet outages.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

"Is the internet out?"

Hey AWS could be broken again

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Taking a week off for surgery and I gotta tell you, loving off and turning off all of my notifications felt really great this morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

larchesdanrew posted:

Taking a week off for surgery and I gotta tell you, loving off and turning off all of my notifications felt really great this morning.

The best part of any time off is leaving my work phone and laptop behind at the office where I can safely ignore them.