Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Johnny Joestar posted:

having it revealed that rand was the one who blasted away the trolloc in the ways was neat, i didn't expect that

That mofo has been channeling all season and suspecting he was the DR.

The ironwood door in Breens Spring, the trolloc in the ways and all this time he's had Tam's fever ramblings from winternight in his head too. Of course he needs to step up and out himself before all the E5 gets dragged to the Eye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

https://twitter.com/WotTVSeries/status/1471635504840032259

Maybe Morraine channeling was misdirection because she doesn't want the kids knowing how to open the gate.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Ok so from the dozen+ answers so far to the 'what was the design of the Ways reminiscent of in other media' question, I think I basically got the answer 'everything', lol. Thanks all.
Still would've preferred them to do a cool Escher type thing :/ Then you could have a re-enactment of the silly push egwene off a cliff scene from Ep 1, except this time Nynaeve instead of saying whatever she said before just says 'paradox' and goes off to fight someone on a ceiling :cool:

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

man if the dialogue is going to be this bad then you might as well just take it from the books
This is a fair point.

Hollismason posted:

Oh poo poo just got to the chapter of Knife of Dreams where Mat reads Thom's letter from Moraine and poo poo just got real.

Knife of Dreams is really loving good ya'll. Mat's story is fantastic.
You need to stop posting about the later books, you're gonna make me start re-reading the whole series again man. I don't have time for that in my life.
(keep posting)

The Lord Bude posted:

They should have kept this, it's so much better.

exmarx posted:

machin shin... it means 'imposter syndrome' in the old tongue
Machin Shin, the Black Wind... it's like the social anxiety you get on a really bad hangover!! Run for your lives!!!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I really hope they don't do my girl Faile dirty and cut her out. I've no idea how that would even work with Perrin and Egwene's stories

Hollismason posted:

Rand declaring himself the Dragon Reborn is way different than in the books where he's super reluctant to embrace the identity. I kind of wonder if he'll fully embrace being the Dragon Reborn so quickly because in the books he kind of didn't until The Dragon Reborn and we never see that thought process just him running.

I think he's so chill with it now cause he thinks all he needs to do is sneak off in the night, go to the Eye, channel some poo poo or whatever and job's a good'un. He's not thinking about the long haul and he's not processed the 'the whole world will hate me' thing. I imagine Rand's attitude will be very different next season as it really starts to sink in

Atlas Hugged posted:

I had the same thought, but the line from Lan about having nothing to die for before Moiraine was rubbing me wrong. It could be explained next episode that Moiraine gave him purpose in fighting the Shadow and so he can have his revenge and serve a greater purpose at the same time rather than just throwing his life away.

Yeah the way I took it wasn't Lan saying he didn't have a death wish, but that before Moiraine he was just going to end up dying for no reason but now he knows his death will have meaning and value

Every goddam time

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Rarity posted:

I think he's so chill with it now cause he thinks all he needs to do is sneak off in the night, go to the Eye, channel some poo poo or whatever and job's a good'un. He's not thinking about the long haul and he's not processed the 'the whole world will hate me' thing. I imagine Rand's attitude will be very different next season as it really starts to sink in

He comes out of the conversation with Min convinced he's going to die at the Eye.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
I wasn't clear as to why there was the whole melodramatic YOU'RE ALL GONNA DIE AT THE EYE YO thing Moiraine was saying. Was that some info she explicitly received from elsewhere? It was very weirdly put. Why on earth Randland would she tell them they're all going to die, it seems like the dumbest tactic possible if you're trying to convince all these people to go there because you don't know which one is the important one that has to be there. She can't lie, sure, but I don't think they ever explicitly asked her anyway, and based on her answers a bit later in the conversation it seemed like she was saying she actually doesn't know for certain?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

She's assuming the last battle is about to happen between the dragon and the dark one, and anyone else there is hosed

It's not an unreasonable assumption.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

I'll add another. The caves in Scotland in Uncharted 4

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

silvergoose posted:

She's assuming the last battle is about to happen between the dragon and the dark one, and anyone else there is hosed

Rand thought Ishi was the DO for however long and Moiraine, unreliable narrator that she is, is making the same assumption.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Hexel posted:

Rand thought Ishi was the DO for however long and Moiraine, unreliable narrator that she is, is making the same assumption.

Yeah exactly. I have no problem with her not knowing but declaring things as fact, every single aes sedai does that poo poo all the time.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Hexel posted:

This is something that happens in the books too at this point. She interviews Fain and he talks about Ba'alzamon appearing in person but not being fully solid. This makes her say that the dark one is able to manifest in the world after only barely being able to touch it three years ago .

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Hollismason posted:

Rand declaring himself the Dragon Reborn is way different than in the books where he's super reluctant to embrace the identity. I kind of wonder if he'll fully embrace being the Dragon Reborn so quickly because in the books he kind of didn't until The Dragon Reborn and we never see that thought process just him running.

It's driven from a very different place.

If you told Rand in Book 1 that anyone who wasn't the Dragon would die if they went to the Eye of the World, especially Egwene, and he had even the slightest inkling he was the Dragon, he'd go. Hell he'd probably go even if he didn't think he was the Dragon to keep her safe.

El Grillo posted:

I wasn't clear as to why there was the whole melodramatic YOU'RE ALL GONNA DIE AT THE EYE YO thing Moiraine was saying. Was that some info she explicitly received from elsewhere? It was very weirdly put. Why on earth Randland would she tell them they're all going to die, it seems like the dumbest tactic possible if you're trying to convince all these people to go there because you don't know which one is the important one that has to be there. She can't lie, sure, but I don't think they ever explicitly asked her anyway, and based on her answers a bit later in the conversation it seemed like she was saying she actually doesn't know for certain?

From the scene, it looked like to Moraine that they were going to decide not to go out of stubbornness because they thought she was fooling them. So she came out with the exact truth to throw them off.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
I enjoyed that episode quite a bit.

A lot of business to write Mat out, but it mostly worked. I get the complaints about the love triangle/CW stuff, though I'm still engaged here. I like the big picture of this show but feel like it's not as strong as it could be on a scene-by-scene basis.

Min is not the character I had in my head but she's good.

I'm hoping they lean into Rand getting weird and paranoid pretty quickly after this season because otherwise he's too boring, even if that was deliberate.

Kind of weird that Loial just disappeared when they got to Fal Dara. More and more people are saying there should be more Loial.

People trying tactic realism the cold open must hate fun.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Omnomnomnivore posted:

More and more people are saying there should be more Loial.

:hmmyes:

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
When Loial isn't on screen the other characters should ask "where's Loial?"

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Omnomnomnivore posted:

I'm hoping they lean into Rand getting weird and paranoid pretty quickly after this season because otherwise he's too boring, even if that was deliberate.

Conversely I hope its built up slowly over time. He should be moderately paranoid at the end of season 2, and become somewhat estranged to Egwene. Season 3 we should see the paranoia have a bit of madness to it, and him to start to move beyond Egwene. Season 4 is where we should meet Lews Therin and get the box, and Season 5 is where the madness gets bad, and in Season 6 Saidin gets purified but Rand starts slipping into Darth Rand. Season 7 is Darth Rand, and Season 8 is Jesus Rand.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Where was that post about the WoT being a soap opera? I feel like we need to repost it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

When Loial isn't on screen the other characters should ask "where's Loial?"

This, but then they meet in the library and have cake

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Goofballs posted:

What I loved about that was Egwene assuming she did it. Oh, Egwene.

Ahaha. Like when Suian talked about the most powerful Aes Sedei in 1000 years but meant Nynaeve

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

CainFortea posted:

Where was that post about the WoT being a soap opera? I feel like we need to repost it.

The books or the show? Because yes

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
"I waited an hour for you to apologize" is 1000% a woman written by Robert Jordan.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

to be fair to egwene i think she mainly assumed she did it due to not having real training and panicking while also having no reason to think rand was going to dash in and reflexively do it with lews therin magic

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

There's a massive fuckin' spoiler right in the show's own credits, identifying that the character Magdalena Sittova plays is actually Tigraine Mantear.

Rand's Andoran heritage is a later reveal, dammit!

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Unless you're googling the character it's not a spoiler when there's no context or even a name given in the episode.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Omnomnomnivore posted:

"I waited an hour for you to apologize" is 1000% a woman written by Robert Jordan.

Idk it seems pretty normal behaviour to me.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Beefeater1980 posted:

Idk it seems pretty normal behaviour to me.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I've gotten that direct line from my mother at some point.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Natural 20 posted:

From the scene, it looked like to Moraine that they were going to decide not to go out of stubbornness because they thought she was fooling them. So she came out with the exact truth to throw them off.

silvergoose posted:

Yeah it's definitely not an unreasonable assumption, but she's not giving them the 'exact truth', which would be 'I think it's super likely you're going to die'. She was just saying you are ALL DEFINITELY GOING TO DIE AAAAAA. It just felt very odd, if she's trying to convince them to go maybe she would give them some kind of hope that they could at least aid the fight in some way or whatever.
Meh. Someone else commented on it upthread so I thought I'd ask. It's not important, I just wondered whether maybe Siuan had told her from the premonition that everyone non-dragon would get dead, or something like that, to explain the oddity. I will chalk it up as another odd choice they made in a scene.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

RC Cola posted:

Ahaha. Like when Suian talked about the most powerful Aes Sedei in 1000 years but meant Nynaeve

It also works really well for the future when she starts to come into her own and actually can do some incredibly impressive poo poo - not least becoming the actual Amyrlin.

This episode was great. Of course the fighting in the cold open was overblown, but it's no worse or sillier than the Witcher, it was stylish, solidly choreographed, and shows just how badass Aiel are, even if Tigraine is only adopted. Also why you do not go into a fight with a cloak on. Cloaks snag or can be used against you. If you have a cloak, get rid of it, or use it off-hand to parry/distract.

The Ways: Good. Very good. I like the aesthetic they came up with. Wish we could have seen more of the vastness of the place, but what we got was good. A little sad the demented rantings of Machin Shin wasn't included, but the route they did go worked well, and in some ways even better. That thing will find and use your fears and insecurities and shame against you. Also, Loial. Oh, Loial. And drat, Fain.

Fal Dara was really good, I thought. Design-wise, someone's been doing their homework, given the bastions clearly visible. It sold the idea of fortress that is also a city convincingly. Uno was pretty much perfect. Agelmar's characterization was... off, yeah. If anyone would be falling over themselves to be polite to and welcoming of an Aes Sedai ( not to mention Lan ), it should be him, but I can roll with it. Also, Fain being a cocky motherfucker and strolling right past Perrin and Nyneave in the street. I like Min.

On first watch I was real skeptical of the whole EF4 falling out and Perrin/Egwene, but... on second watching, it works. I get why it's there, and while I kind of wish they would have found something else than Perrin carrying a torch for Egwene, it actually does let Perrin get a bit of a meatier plot with Faile, if it's also about how he needs to let go of Egwene along with his guilt over kiling Laila. Also, they're all tired, cranky, have been thoroughly traumatized, traveled against their will through half of Creation, gone through the loving Ways complete with psychological abuse, and told that one of them is going to live and the others end up dead if they go to the Eye, so... yeah, fair dues. I'd be on edge and lash out too, most likely.

Lan and Nynaeve romance-plot... Again, I can see why they changed it around, and am generally supportive. When they made this thing, I don't think they knew they'd be getting a second season, plus there was Covid shenanigans and uncertainty. I makes sense to get as many plotlines out in the open as possible. The 'will they, won't they' works in the books, but on TV, especially if they can't be sure of renewal, they need to offer some resolution, and this works admirably. I know that apparently Lan being 'softer' in the series is a big issue for some people, but the fact that he checks in on other Malkieri and obviously cares about them is a great way of showing why everyone is so liberally throwing around "Dai Shan"; He's the kind of prince that people would want to follow. Which, again, is going to be important later.

The reveal of Rand being the Dragon is hugely different from the books - of course - but also works well with how the story's been adapted for possibly-just-one-season-of-TV. As nice as the declaration with Callandor in the heart of the Stone would have been, it makes sense to do the reveal now, and given Rand's character and where he is in this telling of the story? It all hangs together very sensibly. Unlike a lot of others, apparently, I thought the jagged flashback worked really well. Especially with how Rand's archery had markedly improved with each memory and reveal.

And finally... the Blight. I did not expect... that. But, again, it works. It's obviously unnatural, twisted, creepy, and... yeah. It looks disgusting, corrupted, and alien.

All we need now is more Loial.

And Fain.

And Min.

And a couple more episodes per season and ten seasons, because the story needs a bit more room to breathe.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Softening up Lan's character seems like an intentional choice to modernise the story with an example of positivity masculinity and I'm completely here for it

CainFortea posted:

Rarity posted:

I mean Wheel of Time basically is a soap opera:

- Way too many characters to count
- Stretches out storylines for way too long
- Characters come back from the dead
- Secret parentages
- Love triangles
- Everyone is sexy

I warned you about love triangles bro!

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Straight up this has happened between my wife and I before when we had an argument and both stormed angrily to other room. Then like 2 hours later while we made dinner we discussed how childish we were being and apologized. Both of us thought we were right and waited for the other to apologize. People get pig headed when they think they are right

But we are in our 30s and aren't 20 on a quest to save the world where a force of evil just spit our deepest fears into our ears.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Rand reveal was really good. Blood snow was really good. Show good.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Rarity posted:

Softening up Lan's character seems like an intentional choice to modernise the story with an example of positivity masculinity and I'm completely here for it

Seconding this, and also to add that the core of the character is still very much there. He's drily witty ( his "hadn't noticed" sounded really dry and a touch sarcy to me, at least ), an outstanding warrior, a man of conviction, honor, and caring...

And most importantly, it's not hidden behind an exterior that has all the expressiveness of a slab of loving granite.

Like, yes, I get that he's described as putting up this immovable, stoic facade in the books, until we get to peek inside his head. Which we can't do on television. It works in the books. It's really cool... in the books. Can't do it on TV.

So yeah, 'softening' him was the right choice, because holy gently caress he would have been terrible if done 1-for-1 from the books.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lan should be a weird goth no viewer likes because he never talks nor shows emotions except when he happily imagines dying, convince me otherwise

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Imagine Lan's actor interrupting Moiraine mid speech to just say "nothing matters, we all will die someday" or some poo poo. That could work and be hilarious. Just make Lan a C-Spam poster

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

RC Cola posted:

One of the best single moments lol. From :toot: to :confuoot: an instant (dang those don't show up well with Dark Theme enabled)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Sab669 posted:

One of the best single moments lol. From :toot: to :confuoot: an instant (dang those don't show up well with Dark Theme enabled)

Agreed. I can't wait for Egwene to find out that it was Rand who blasted the Trolloc. "OK, show of hands - who here can't channel?"

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I didn't know I needed Uno being Tigraine's agent today but there it is

https://twitter.com/robertsguy/status/1471880650785447940

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

The non book spoiler tv thread is arguing about how realistic Tigraine's fight scene was, and its really hard to not explain that literally that is what Aiel do. And she is like a little baby Aiel. A normal maiden would have killed all of those men with half the effort and twice the anime

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

RC Cola posted:

Imagine Lan's actor interrupting Moiraine mid speech to just say "nothing matters, we all will die someday" or some poo poo. That could work and be hilarious. Just make Lan a C-Spam poster

Moiraine: We need to go to the Eye of the World, Rand. There you will confront The Dark One for the final time.

Rand: I am so torn between my love of my friends and Egwene and needing to do the right thing for the world. Perhaps it is my destiny.

Lan: Brunch libs, blue maga, Marxism, lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

How are u posted:

Moiraine: We need to go to the Eye of the World, Rand. There you will confront The Dark One for the final time.

Rand: I am so torn between my love of my friends and Egwene and needing to do the right thing for the world. Perhaps it is my destiny.

Lan: Brunch libs, blue maga, Marxism, lmao.

poo poo now I need to figure out what sub forum all of our main characters would hang out in