Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Sockser posted:

And now I use that 5-step stair strip thing.

This thing is absolutely the MVP. It got my z level so precise that I went from having constant bed adhesion issues to my bed adhesion being frankly TOO good, and now I have to use a spatula to remove certain prints.

Speaking of which anyone have a good recommendation for a scraper that won’t hurt the coating on the steel sheet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Pham Nuwen posted:

This is a pretty drat compelling price point, and it can even print bigger than the Prusa Mini. Is there going to be perceptible difference between the print quality of a Prusa Mini vs. an MP10 Mini?

In a truly apples-to-apples comparison (same source model, slicer settings for layers/infill/temperature/speed)? No.

I would not expect the electronics on a Monoprice printer to last as long as a Prusa though. I won't really have a comparable reference for the Prusa I have vs. the Monoprice machine I got back in 2017 until, like, 2023 because the control board on my Monoprice machine died late 2019 and I just got my Prusa machine in the early part of 2021.

I keep saying I'll replace the control board/etc. on that Monoprice printer but :effort:

Just keep the 30-day return in mind and make sure you swap the Monoprice if there is any kind of problem with it. Do not try to "fix" it unless you let that deadline slip.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Making gears is still a lot more cumbersome than I would like, I really thought someone make this simpler by now.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

SEKCobra posted:

Making gears is still a lot more cumbersome than I would like, I really thought someone make this simpler by now.

As in modeling them or machining/casting them?

Because there are several gear generators on Thingiverse.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Talorat posted:

Speaking of which anyone have a good recommendation for a scraper that won’t hurt the coating on the steel sheet?

I like these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076BBW1WM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Comes with a huge box of spare blades and are useful for lots of things.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

biracial bear for uncut posted:

As in modeling them or machining/casting them?

Because there are several gear generators on Thingiverse.

Modelling anything more complex than two spur gears. I am making a really simple rc car drivetrain (because there are seemingly no commercial parts) and making the necessary bevel gears to fit inside the available space is really cumbersome (and I'm pretty sure my bevel gears are poo poo compared to ideal).

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!
Is it pretty normal for a new hot end to smell like burning oil/rubber? I bought a cheap Micro Swiss clone all metal hot end and after printing an XYZ cube it kind of filled the room with a faint smell of burning oil. It didn't smoke or anything, and I'm reasonably certain I installed everything correctly, but it just kind of stinks. Am I correct in assuming that this is some sort of oil left on the metal after machining, or is this my own fault for buying cheap poo poo and it's going to burn my house down?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
42h 18m

115%

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Roundboy posted:

42h 18m

115%

:allears:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jadius posted:

Is it pretty normal for a new hot end to smell like burning oil/rubber? I bought a cheap Micro Swiss clone all metal hot end and after printing an XYZ cube it kind of filled the room with a faint smell of burning oil. It didn't smoke or anything, and I'm reasonably certain I installed everything correctly, but it just kind of stinks. Am I correct in assuming that this is some sort of oil left on the metal after machining, or is this my own fault for buying cheap poo poo and it's going to burn my house down?

It's likely fine if it's only for the first print or two. If it persists, something is probably melting.

SEKCobra posted:

Modelling anything more complex than two spur gears. I am making a really simple rc car drivetrain (because there are seemingly no commercial parts) and making the necessary bevel gears to fit inside the available space is really cumbersome (and I'm pretty sure my bevel gears are poo poo compared to ideal).

Solidworks has a bunch of built-in gear templates, and Rhino has a free gear generator plugin.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Roundboy posted:

42h 18m

115%

:nice:

What filament is that? The rainbow stuff I've used before hasn't actually been very rainbow-y, the colours have been a bit muted which still works but I want something a bit more :catdrugs: like that

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

:nice:

What filament is that? The rainbow stuff I've used before hasn't actually been very rainbow-y, the colours have been a bit muted which still works but I want something a bit more :catdrugs: like that

CC3D Rainbow filament via amazon

I have complained about it before, but as far as silk PLA goes, its held up, printed okay, and actually looked like the metallic color in the description.

If I never see more rainbow in a different brand I would likely get it again. Its really nice for prints that just work in the color transition, i wish i knew the length between colors

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Sagebrush posted:

It's likely fine if it's only for the first print or two. If it persists, something is probably melting.

Solidworks has a bunch of built-in gear templates, and Rhino has a free gear generator plugin.

Guess I should give my Solidworks license another spin while I still have it.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Roundboy posted:

42h 18m

115%

I love it!

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease
Are there any bright silver PLA filaments? They all seem to be fairly dark grey.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

jeff8472 posted:

Are there any bright silver PLA filaments? They all seem to be fairly dark grey.

I was going to say the same, but i have seen some actual build pictures of Sunlu silk PLA+ silver filament and it looks pretty drat shiny and nice

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

jeff8472 posted:

I've seen "steel" coloured silk PLA that might do the trick but I don't think I've ever seen an actual silvery colour, I'd guess it's quite tricky to actually get it right because a lot of the lustre of silver it from the reflectivity which of course I don't think you can really do with PLA (or plastic generally).

insta
Jan 28, 2009

jeff8472 posted:

As others have said, you want a silk. They'll have a sheen.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

jeff8472 posted:

I’ve used plenty of silk metallic filaments, but never anything as good as this

Polymaker Silk PLA Filament 1.75mm Silver, 1kg Spool Shiny PLA Filament 1.75 - PolyLite PLA 3D Printer Filament, Print with Most 3D Printers Using 3D Filament https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08T1B2B9B/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_CSQZSKPMDZR3EY72YFX2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Sockser posted:

I’ve used plenty of silk metallic filaments, but never anything as good as this

Polymaker Silk PLA Filament 1.75mm Silver, 1kg Spool Shiny PLA Filament 1.75 - PolyLite PLA 3D Printer Filament, Print with Most 3D Printers Using 3D Filament https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08T1B2B9B/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_CSQZSKPMDZR3EY72YFX2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Prints are actually that color ? Because I have rolls of stuff that shiny, but it doesnt print that way. The sunlu i recommended before was because i saw actual prints of it

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Repeating it doesn't make it more correct. The guy asked for opinions, appears to have skills and a limited budget. I gave him an alternative, perfectly valid opinion, that has worked for tons of people.

Sure, if you have the money and want as close to a turnkey solution as possible, buy a Prusa...but if you have a spare weekend or 2 , you can get a much better printer for the same amount of money, using an Ender3 V2 as a starting point.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Idle thought, but surely part cooling (i.e. the fan almost all printers have pointing in the vague direction of the nozzle) is only really necessary when you're doing a span over a void? Would it be better, if you were doing a part that had no spans - not even a flat top - to just turn it off and let the part cool slower? My thinking is that you'd get more heat transfer to the layer below and so a better adhesion between layers, and also less potential for warping generally because the part as a whole will have cooled down more uniformly. More importantly does any slicer support doing this (i.e. only cooling when doing a span)?

Or am I just overthinking this and it doesn't really make that much difference?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

No, cooling is still important even if there are no bridges because the plastic doesn't solidify instantly. Hot plastic can sag and compress under its own weight, leading to squashed layers, and if your part is small enough that the nozzle comes back over a given area while it's still soft, the effect will be multiplied. Cooling the plastic as soon as it comes out of the nozzle is usually necessary to keep the extruded trace exactly where it's meant to be -- depending on the specific characteristics of the polymer you're using, though.

You're correct about the effect on strength, though. Slower cooling generally means better layer fusion and a stronger part. By adjusting the extrusion temperature and fan flow, there is a certain amount of trading off you can do between the crispness of your part and its mechanical strength.

E: and yes, I believe prusaslicer will let you disable the fan everywhere except bridges with some combination in the cooling settings.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Dec 18, 2021

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Idle thought, but surely part cooling (i.e. the fan almost all printers have pointing in the vague direction of the nozzle) is only really necessary when you're doing a span over a void? Would it be better, if you were doing a part that had no spans - not even a flat top - to just turn it off and let the part cool slower? My thinking is that you'd get more heat transfer to the layer below and so a better adhesion between layers, and also less potential for warping generally because the part as a whole will have cooled down more uniformly. More importantly does any slicer support doing this (i.e. only cooling when doing a span)?

Or am I just overthinking this and it doesn't really make that much difference?

Its been said, but its also important on small areas the nozzle stays over (think the smoke stack on a benchy) it needs cooling to prevent just the proximity of the nozzle making it a melty mess.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Roundboy posted:

Its been said, but its also important on small areas the nozzle stays over (think the smoke stack on a benchy) it needs cooling to prevent just the proximity of the nozzle making it a melty mess.

Yeah especially for PLA you want the plastic solidifying almost as soon as it leaves the nozzle, an aggressive part cooling fan gives better prints. For ABS you want it toned down to get better layer adhesion and less warping. Slicer pre-sets usually have good starting points for the different materials.

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!

jeff8472 posted:

Fillamentum’s Extrafill PLA has a “Repunzle Silver” which has a pretty nice smooth finish and a bit of sparkle to it. Ive printed some parts with it and olan on doing a UFO model with it sometime soon.

Heres some pics:

They also have a metallic grey that may interest you.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Anyone had any experience printing costume armour?

I've never done cosplay in the past, but after running out of practical things to print on my printer, for some reason at 36 years old I've got it in my head that I want a wearable master chief outfit that would mostly be used as a mannequin display.

Curious as to any advice people might have before I start churning through the filament. I printed a stormtrooper helmet earlier in the year which looks cool but I don't know about its structural integrity.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I find that CHT nozzle interesting.

While I don't really print at high-flow speeds (yet), I found what CNC Kitchen showed interesting, that the material starts building up internal stressed because of polymer chains something something, something which high-flow nozzles seem to reduce due to extended heating. Including that CHT, which is pretty compact, considering.

I wonder if it helps with printing by reducing said stresses, that also seem to cause warping and additional shrinkage.

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

Isometric Bacon posted:

Anyone had any experience printing costume armour?

I've never done cosplay in the past, but after running out of practical things to print on my printer, for some reason at 36 years old I've got it in my head that I want a wearable master chief outfit that would mostly be used as a mannequin display.

Curious as to any advice people might have before I start churning through the filament. I printed a stormtrooper helmet earlier in the year which looks cool but I don't know about its structural integrity.

I don't do it seriously, and haven't made anything for myself that I can show off, the only advice I'd give is perimeters equals durability, and don't be afraid to up your nozzle size for fewer thicker layers. You're going to be post processing all the same, so go for speed and strength.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
A 36-year-old doesn’t need a master chief outfit.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015

withak posted:

A 36-year-old doesn’t need a master chief outfit.

drat, no need to kinkshame. Bacon, make the costume. Do iiit
I tried to make some drawer sliders. :thunk:

I added some electrical tape on the rollers for improved traction.

They don't really work very well, but I'm burning to make another revision and see what happens.

Cory Parsnipson fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Dec 19, 2021

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The trick probably is to use proper bearings.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
I was having trouble finding bearings that wouldn't make the design bigger than I wanted. I thought about trying something involving airsoft pellets. The PLA is smooth enough to slide across itself extremely easily, so I might be able to get away with just making a telescoping slider and avoid a lot of the complexity involved with adding the rollers. The drawer can't fail if I don't use it too much. :shrug:

I did try out this 3d printable 608 bearing and it actually spins. It's terrible, but at the same time very cool.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

I found a $25 Amazon gift card laying around when I was cleaning some poo poo up, it was still good. Just ordered some rainbow filament for a giant slug. I printed the original a while back because I love slugs, but I feel the need for a giant one.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Maybe if you packed it with enough grease that plastic never actually touches plastic?

edit: The bearing, not the rainbow slug.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
Ooh, that's interesting. What kind of grease should I use? White lithium? I know nothing about cars.

e. Ok so I googled it and looks like white lithium grease might not have been the best. I tried it anyway, and it doesn't really help that much by itself, but I covered both tracks with electrical tape and I can get the wheels to spin when the slider is under load.

Also I realized that I could pick up nylon rollers with ball bearings inside them at home depot pretty cheap.

And for anyone wondering, drawer sliders go for $6

ee. Nice vv; looks great

Cory Parsnipson fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Dec 19, 2021

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Babby first prints

If I want to go to microcenter and get a microswiss mk8 0.8 nozzle, I assume it's a decent quality? I don't feel like trying to get anything shipped right now, and I want to print faster

insta
Jan 28, 2009
MicroSwiss is one of the better third party brands. You'll pay for it, but I've never been unhappy with them.

How hard are you pushing your current nozzle? A V6 @ 0.4 can pretty reliably do 13mm^3/s.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Hi, would anyone be willing to print this one piece? Like 20% infill out of some water resistant material, preferably black but any color will work really

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5168474/files

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Vaporware posted:

If I want to go to microcenter and get a microswiss mk8 0.8 nozzle, I assume it's a decent quality? I don't feel like trying to get anything shipped right now, and I want to print faster

Try 0.6 first.. using the area of a circle calculation, 0.4 is 0.50mm^2 and 0.6 is 1.13mm^2, ie. more than double. 0.8 is 2.0mm^2, quadruple the hole size.

Haven't heard complaints about microswiss quality, just the price