Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Can't wait for Moraine to get turned into a Saidar battery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Nitrousoxide posted:

Can't wait for Moraine to get turned into a Saidar battery

You know, I wonder if the ones left behind aren't going to chase after Moiraine and Rand but stay behind in Fal Dara. With the bond masked how would Lan even find them?

Also, we have Nyneave and Egwene there, and a woman who knows the weaves and knows how to channel but has very little power of her own. So she could mount an effective defense using them in a circle.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

CainFortea posted:

You know, I wonder if the ones left behind aren't going to chase after Moiraine and Rand but stay behind in Fal Dara. With the bond masked how would Lan even find them?

Well, Lan is a guy who's trained most of his life for war against the Shadow in the Blight, and has been shown to be an excellent tracker so it wouldn't be crazy that he could find them if he really tried.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

RandomReader posted:

Is that a female Myrddral? As far as I know, there's no reason Fades can't have sexual dimorphism, so I dig it.

Yes, there is. Fades are a sterile throwback product of Trolloc breeding. They're always male in appearance and absolutely identical, which is technically not required but becomes significant when Shaidar Haran shows up as it's how the Forsaken realise he's special. I tell you, though, I'm going to laugh like a drain at the chud reaction if it turns out they've genderflipped the Superfade instead of making him taller.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Jedit posted:

Yes, there is. Fades are a sterile throwback product of Trolloc breeding. They're always male in appearance and absolutely identical, which is technically not required but becomes significant when Shaidar Haran shows up as it's how the Forsaken realise he's special. I tell you, though, I'm going to laugh like a drain at the chud reaction if it turns out they've genderflipped the Superfade instead of making him taller.

You know what, all I want for Christmas is for this to be canon.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah they're absolutely not shelving moiraine next week, there is a defined point to do that and her saving rand from lanfear is like. way more impactful of a moment and would make more sense in seasons 2 or 3. they'll totally bring her back a bit sooner, though, since there's stuff they can have her do.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
We've got a least a few seasons of Moraine , it would be weird for them to do this now. All of the characters are pretty important to the story right now so it'd be really weird to get rid of any of them.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

CainFortea posted:

Also, we have Nyneave and Egwene there, and a woman who knows the weaves and knows how to channel but has very little power of her own. So she could mount an effective defense using them in a circle.

It's pretty clear Moiraine and Rand battle Ishi at the Eye and the wonder girls help defend Fal Dara.

I haven't seen Lan in any leaks or promo materials so no idea what he's up to next week :shrug:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I'm revising my vote for most effective Chosen to Aginor. He was bloody hopeless as a fighter and leader, but what he did do is create the Trollocs, so his kill count is far, far higher than any other.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

if you consider that aginor was responsible for a lot of the shadowspawn in general he absolutely qualifies as one of the most terrifying fucks around

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I'm revising my vote for most effective Chosen to Aginor. He was bloody hopeless as a fighter and leader, but what he did do is create the Trollocs, so his kill count is far, far higher than any other.

Asmodean's effort to results ratio is pretty huge, all he had to do was magic up some tats on Couladin and tens if not hundreds of thousands of people died in the ensuing chaos

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

*And gholam, and draghkar, and whatever the gently caress Worms are, and so on,

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I really hope we get the worms on screen because they don't really feature into the novels at all but they sound vicious and cool

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Umbra Dubium posted:

Rafe: "Not all of our characters are gonna make it."

So then, who dies at the Eye who didn't in the book?

You'll note, however, he doesn't explicitly say "...out of this season."

Moiraine (sorta), Rand (kinda), Mat (arguably more than once), Egwene, Birgitte, and Siuan all die before the end of the books, to say nothing of all the second and third tier characters who get bumped off along the way or in the minor character die-off at Tarmon Gaiden. If one were to be suspicious of Rafe doing some Aes Sedai talking here, I'd say he was trying to convince people that someone major (probably Moiraine because of the death flags they're raising and because she's in a similar position as Ned Stark in GoT's season one) is going to die so the surprise is that "no, everyone lived. This time."

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Rafe should totally pick up Robert Jordan's bit of Aes Sedai style "truth" for all his answers just to gently caress with people.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

CainsDescendant posted:

Asmodean's effort to results ratio is pretty huge, all he had to do was magic up some tats on Couladin and tens if not hundreds of thousands of people died in the ensuing chaos

While true, that pales in comparison to 3000 years of war.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

https://twitter.com/SAghdashloo/status/1472322139202244615

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I'd buy it. :shrug:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Is she jerking us around?

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

https://twitter.com/saghdashloo/status/1472323959739883522?s=21

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Can you imagine her cussing Rand out?

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

So, does anyone have a good idea what Min's vision of Rand with the baby is supposed to mean?

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

DTurtle posted:

So, does anyone have a good idea what Min's vision of Rand with the baby is supposed to mean?

There are lots of possibilities:

1) It's an abstract way of signaling him coming to grips with his birth heritage stuff
2) It's one of his babies with Elayne
3) It is to signal that in a sense he will be born again in Ishmael's Moridin Body
4) There is going to be some TV only scene involving babies

Which of these, I have no clue. The lack of red hair signals it isn't 1, but it could just be more abstract. I don't really see much of a reason for 2, unless it is to signal to the viewers that Rand isn't going to die until he can rock his children or whatever. 3 seems doubtful since its kind of abstract/reaching where even after everything finished people wouldn't agree that is what it is.

Which is a longer form of saying that I have no clue.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Dec 18, 2021

its HIM
Oct 22, 2013

How are u posted:

Honestly the thing that I liked the least about the episode is that they gave Lan a 'family' of sorts. Lan-Nynaeve romance is a bit rushed but eh what ya gonna do, it's TV.

Chomposaur posted:

I think whatever poo poo that goes down next episode is going to set them on a new trajectory -- maybe cause Lan and Rand to shut down and distance themselves out of duty or fear of getting people killed.

One of these things is going to solve the other. RIP family.

its HIM
Oct 22, 2013

gently caress yes.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Please no :(

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

DTurtle posted:

it's in the leaked gifs rand gets tempted by a life he can't have

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Dench would also make a tip-top Cadsuane.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Something someone pointed out to me is that in episode 7 every character basically everyone spends the episode reacting to their internal fears being whispered by Machin Shin

Rand is obvious of course, both with him being the Dragon hanging over his head and lashing out about Egwene not loving him

Moirane being told "You will murder them and call it heroism" is what causes her to warn that anyone that wasn't the Dragon was going to die.

Egwene was told that she was nothing and spends the episode as the strongest advocate for going (and thus amounting to something).

Nynaeve was told that she would do nothing to save the others as she heard them die, and then spent the entire episode trying to stop everyone from going.

Lan is told that he can't protect her (ambiguously who between Moiraine and Nynaeve), and the episode ends with him indeed being separated from one of the possibilities because he was sleeping with the other.

Perrin is barely in the episode, but what little of him is there has him denying that he ever loved Egwene, which Machin Shin indicated was the reason he killed his wife.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

MegaZeroX posted:

Something someone pointed out to me is that in episode 7 every character basically everyone spends the episode reacting to their internal fears being whispered by Machin Shin

Rand is obvious of course, both with him being the Dragon hanging over his head and lashing out about Egwene not loving him

Moirane being told "You will murder them and call it heroism" is what causes her to warn that anyone that wasn't the Dragon was going to die.

Egwene was told that she was nothing and spends the episode as the strongest advocate for going (and thus amounting to something).

Nynaeve was told that she would do nothing to save the others as she heard them die, and then spent the entire episode trying to stop everyone from going.

Lan is told that he can't protect her (ambiguously who between Moiraine and Nynaeve), and the episode ends with him indeed being separated from one of the possibilities because he was sleeping with the other.

Perrin is barely in the episode, but what little of him is there has him denying that he ever loved Egwene, which Machin Shin indicated was the reason he killed his wife.

Shame how I couldn’t hear any of that because of how the audio was mixed for Machin Shin.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Is "whoever gets between the Dark One and the Dragon will die" a show change? I don't recall it from the books, but to be fair, it's been 20+ years since I read Eye of the World.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

alcaras posted:

Is "whoever gets between the Dark One and the Dragon will die" a show change? I don't recall it from the books, but to be fair, it's been 20+ years since I read Eye of the World.

Yes, but also possibly no.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

alcaras posted:

Yep, though it's also a pretty reasonable thing to assume, and also it's probably incorrect (fueled by Ishy dream? bad assumption on Siuan's part? foretelling misinterpreted?).

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Yeah, I just imagine the idea is that if the Dark One is literally there, no one that isn't prophesized to defeat him is going to live. Like, a literal god versus some random young adults, an accomplished swordsman, and an adequate channeler would presumably result in everyone's deaths if not for the Dragon, which will only get them through the minimum.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i think they're making it a thing in the show that moiraine + siuan are probably working on flawed/incomplete knowledge and assuming things as best they can and like, honestly, it makes sense. there's no reason for them to actually have all the details about something that quite literally existed before them and is loving ancient and inscrutable as a whole. they're notably working off of old prophecies, one of which was muttered out by an aes sedai before she loving croaked, and kind of have to wing it. it's a pretty reasonable assumption to go 'hey anyone who isn't the dragon reborn will mostly likely eat poo poo at this encounter' and to actually be able to mean it to where the 3 oaths lets her speak it. you also have to consider that she's probably inherently including herself in that as well and might not expect to live.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Also Moiraine is pretty metal in that she is 100% going into this expecting to die

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Dramatika posted:

Also Moiraine is pretty metal in that she is 100% going into this expecting to die

This makes her last words to Lan even more poignant. Giving her approval of Nynaeve is probably the kindest thing she could have left him with.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Dramatika posted:

The funny thing is being willing to die is the least of what she's willing to do.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I love Mat's thoughts about her, that maybe it isn't Thom or him that's the real hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Bea Arthur would have been a good Cadsuane