Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Oh drat, the actors on imdb for The Eye of the World episode, completely forgot we're going to see Lews and Latra

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

alcaras posted:

Is "whoever gets between the Dark One and the Dragon will die" a show change? I don't recall it from the books, but to be fair, it's been 20+ years since I read Eye of the World.

There's a lot that's different here.

1 In the book Moiraine is not expecting a fight to the death with the dark one. She doesn't think whoever the dragon is would be up to that at all. The long term plan is to build up the dragon. The short term plan at the EOTW is she knows the dark one is interested in it for vague reasons and is seeking to counter because he's interested

2 In the books the dragon is supposed to be the one doing the dying.

3 In the book she wants all the kids there because they are ta'veren and the notion she has is, even if the odds are on paper against them 3 ta'veren will gently caress the odds sideways. Not sure if ta'veren is a thing in the show

None of that is criticism of the show per say

Well the criticism I guess I have is, why does she think Rand is ready for this? Its questionable to me that he's ready for this. It feels like she's taking a promising prospect and throwing them into a death match with the world heavy weight because he has good instincts.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

God drat 8 is gonna be a dense fuckin episode.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I wonder what they'll even do.. I can't see them having the budget for the Sealing along with what Rand and all are doing this last episode. I guess maybe just the argument over what to do? Really excited to find out

talkin bout LTT and Latra

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

they possibly might not even have lews therin and her directly talking but showing two separate perspectives, one from each. not sure! it could go in any direction.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Goofballs posted:

Well the criticism I guess I have is, why does she think Rand is ready for this? Its questionable to me that he's ready for this. It feels like she's taking a promising prospect and throwing them into a death match with the world heavy weight because he has good instincts.

I assumed the logic is largely the same behind Elayne's Children. "I can't lose because I'm not prophesized to."

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Johnny Joestar posted:

they possibly might not even have lews therin and her directly talking but showing two separate perspectives, one from each. not sure! it could go in any direction.

I love that I need to WAFO

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

MegaZeroX posted:

I assumed the logic is largely the same behind Elayne's Children. "I can't lose because I'm not prophesized to."

I'd be willing to accept that if I thought Moiraine was also a moron but that's not book or show Moiraine.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

MegaZeroX posted:

Presumably Moraine will die, considering that Min said that the Amyrlin would be her downfall, and Siuan is the one who had Moiraine go to the Eye. Plus, I'm guessing booking Rosamond pike for a full 3-4 seasons is expensive and also somewhat difficult since she is sought after. And her plot relevance in books 2-5 is basically trying to constrain/guide Rand, but she is only there for Rand really in books 4 and 5. And her role in book 14 is minor. Then, in season 2 we get Lan and Nynaeve development, and a motivation for Nynaeve to become an Aes Sedai (to bond Lan). Rand needs some more early development since doesn't seem like he is running away from everything, and killing her here can help motivate some next steps.

And Rand, Perrin, Mat, Egwene, and Nynaneve really can't be killed, they are all super important to the books. Lan I guess could be killed, but I highly doubt they'd kill him off since he never died in the books (well, technically Moraine didn't, but she also kind of did), plus his existence is a big part of Nynaeve's character so it would be a major change. And it also would feel kind of pointless, since it doesn't really move the plot like Moiraine's would.

And I guess, the final possibility would be that "our characters" means one of the villains, in which case sure, we can easily kill Aginor or whatever.

Or you know, the Green Man, if he is still around. Or if they throw in some random characters.

But my bet is still on them killing Moiraine early here, given how much episode 7 makes it seem like the case.

Rosamund Pike moved her family to the Czech Republic and took a producer credit, she wouldn't have done either of those things if she was just in this for a one-and-done

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Rarity posted:

Rosamund Pike moved her family to the Czech Republic and took a producer credit, she wouldn't have done either of those things if she was just in this for a one-and-done

Yeah, and also audio the first book, Moiraine isn't going anywhere lol. Pike really seems invested in this and it shows.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

pike is absolutely really digging it as a whole and i think part of it is because she gets to play a lesbian wizard who can throw fireballs and honestly how many opportunities are there for that

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Johnny Joestar posted:

pike is absolutely really digging it as a whole and i think part of it is because she gets to play a lesbian wizard who can throw fireballs and honestly how many opportunities are there for that

If you get the chance to be a Gandalf, you take it

e: Also, here's another of live reactors if you're bored and have a bunch of weed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6okqzhw-xM8

Barreft fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Dec 19, 2021

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Johnny Joestar posted:

Possibly bisexual, let's be fair.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
“They would not survive the ways”

(Cut to horses in the ways, under attack by machin shin)

YOU ARE A BAD HORSE
YOU ARE SLOW
YOU THREW THAT LITTLE BOY ON PURPOSE

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Brolander posted:

“They would not survive the ways”

(Cut to horses in the ways, under attack by machin shin)

YOU ARE A BAD HORSE
YOU ARE SLOW
YOU THREW THAT LITTLE BOY ON PURPOSE

BEES

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

^^^^^
STICK!
YOU ATE GRASS TOO FAST NOW YOU ARE GOING TO DIE

Goofballs posted:

2 In the books the dragon is supposed to be the one doing the dying.

Yea, but as pointed out previously, the show prophecy is actually what happens in the books at the end.

Goofballs posted:

Siuan's dream is that the dark one is weak right now.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Bella’s gonna die in the eye

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

this day is just way too bizarre :vince:

https://twitter.com/rafejudkins/status/1472373269206650882

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

CainFortea posted:

^^^^^
STICK!
YOU ATE GRASS TOO FAST NOW YOU ARE GOING TO DIE

Yea, but as pointed out previously, the show prophecy is actually what happens in the books at the end.

And Siuan can't lie, so Moiraine believes it and she's being led into a trap. I mean we've basically seen that in the leaks, but there's no reason for Moiraine not to trust Siuan 100%

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Okay, now we need to get Henry Cavill for Talmanes "I didn't hear no bell" Delovinde.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Whoa. Well she does need a new job. And she's loving awesome. But not Cadsuane.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills :unsmith:

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

CainFortea posted:

He'd have to be real weak for Rand to pull out the win. Maybe the show Dark One is more of a Sauron figure than an extradimensional timeless force of destruction and malevolence. Its probably just an Ishamael dream she had but I still wouldn't put money on Rand at this juncture. His accomplishments so far are knocking down a door and tossing a trolloc over the side.

I'm really enjoying these Machin Shin loving with a horse posts though

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Barreft posted:

Whoa. Well she does need a new job. And she's loving awesome. But not Cadsuane.

She's also in Arcane.

I'd think Sorilea is another possibility for the mood board.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Goofballs posted:

He'd have to be real weak for Rand to pull out the win. Maybe the show Dark One is more of a Sauron figure than an extradimensional timeless force of destruction and malevolence. Its probably just an Ishamael dream she had but I still wouldn't put money on Rand at this juncture. His accomplishments so far are knocking down a door and tossing a trolloc over the side.

I'm really enjoying these Machin Shin loving with a horse posts though

I mean, yes obviously it's Fishy Ishy mucking about in dreams. That's the point. It's a trap laid by him by making Siuan think that the dark one is very weak, but getting stronger so if they strike now perhaps they can win.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm still wilded out right now that the show is doing fairly well even considering that it's dealing with the inevitable first season weirdness that a lot of shows go through and has to put in more effort to make the tone closer to later books than i expected

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Put it another way, Tyson is an old man who smokes a lot of weed these days. I still wouldn't put a teenager in the ring with him.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Shed make a hell of an Elaida, too.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

rocketrobot posted:

She's also in Arcane.

I'd think Sorilea is another possibility for the mood board.

Sorilea would be perfect.

Or Setalle Anan

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Dench would also make a tip-top Cadsuane.

Or Maggie Smith. Although I think I prefer Smith as Verin (yes I know it’s probably cast already).

Actually I just had a better idea - get Anna Deavere Smith as Cadsuane.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
What's really important is who the gently caress do we be casting for Bayle Domon

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Dramatika posted:

What's really important is who the gently caress do we be casting for Bayle Domon

Colm Meaney

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Dramatika posted:

Rutger Hauer is probably a bit old, but it needs to be a Dutchman

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Hopefully they just bring Moiraine back early and have her do Cadsuane's stuff. Moiraine is perfectly capable of teaching Rand tears and laughter, especially since she actually knows the dude. I hope Cadsuane is completely cut.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Rutger Hauer is probably a bit old, but it needs to be a Dutchman

rutger hauer also died 2 years ago so independent of dutch heritage he would not be eligible

but also i don't think bayle domon is gonna be in the show

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I feel like the showrunners wouldn't have a problem finding an awesome slot for her to fill.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Pleads posted:

Please no :(

Why not?

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Actual footage of a dog that escaped the Ways

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Dramatika posted:

Danny DeVito

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

CainFortea posted:

Okay, now we need to get Henry Cavill for Talmanes "I didn't hear no bell" Delovinde.

Rahvin