Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Fraud requires effort. Whether it is work or not is a different story.

e: small question of my own. Does the USA do post Christmas sales. We have our own hype machines here for that so I don't notice it the same way something like black Friday which hasn't been a thing until Amazon moved into the market here.

Inceltown fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Dec 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Earwicker posted:

creating buzz around something is actual work.

not for blockchain specifically but for anything, generating hype can often be a labor intensive and difficult process on its own. its a very different kind of work than making or building the thing that needs to be hyped, but it's still work.

Speaking as a game developer, oh my god is promoting games work. You have to figure out what your audience responds well to, you have to figure out where your audience is and how to put material where they might see it, you have to actually make that material (which in turn involves understanding what parts of your game present it well, then going through the process of capturing that part of the game, writing an appropriate blurb, maybe compositing in the game logo or overlaying some music, etc), you have to convert that material into the dozens of different persnickety little formats that each individual advertiser is willing to work with...and then once the material's actually out there, you have to track how well it's doing and adjust things on the fly to maximize its effectiveness.

Just, y'know, as an example of how building hype is a lot of work.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

yeah im a musician and promoting music is way loving harder than making it. same with any kind of art. most musicians suck at it and almost everyone who can afford to hires professionals to do it for them.

hyping something is not "fraud" in it of itself. hyping something fraudulent is, and obviously the whole nft bullshit is sketchy af, but whether one is promoting something good or something lovely, the amount of work involved is often the same.

Inceltown posted:

Does the USA do post Christmas sales. We have our own hype machines here for that so I don't notice it the same way something like black Friday which hasn't been a thing until Amazon moved into the market here.

yes they are very common. stores want to quickly get rid of what didn't sell during xmas, and theyve got a lot of people coming in to do returns/exchanges at that time too

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 18, 2021

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Generating a lot of hype for hyping itt

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Marketing is a very real skillset and also requires work. My friend's mom is a marketing kinda type who retired and began painting. Now she's selling her pictures at pretty good prices, quite well above her artistic peers, because she knows how to hype them. I think she has three different websites based on customer type for example, which obviously requires more work than one, and even more so because it's not just a blank page with pictures and a phone number.

The skillset can be used for all sorts of stuff, most of it bad like bitcoin, cigarettes and paw patrol.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
I think it was Oblivion that attempted to create "dialogues" by having NPCs greet each other, exchange statement(s) and then say goodbye. The result has been ridiculed a lot, but I admire the ambition. Did any modern video game (does not have to be a RPG) tried something similar? Thank you.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Inceltown posted:

Wait, so the amendments were written in the original document and not added later?

More seriously 'the blockchain' is basically just a spreadsheet that everyone has a copy of so no one individual can forge an entry. In a situation where that lack of trust is important is where you find a use case for blockchain. This isn't that big of a use case so you don't see many people extolling those virtues often.

You find hype for blockchain because no one understands this or cares to help you understand if they do. This allows all sorts of people to create buzz about nothing instead of doing actual work. There are a bunch of hype men in business who are making bank going on about this and will continue to do so until they find the next stupid thing to move on to.

Yeah, there are some really specific applications where zero trust p2p records are useful. Not many, because if it’s zero trust, then it probably shouldn’t be open to the internet in the first place.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

What do you think the little QR codes on each sticker are for?

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Probably just links to more detailed information.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

I think it was Oblivion that attempted to create "dialogues" by having NPCs greet each other, exchange statement(s) and then say goodbye. The result has been ridiculed a lot, but I admire the ambition. Did any modern video game (does not have to be a RPG) tried something similar? Thank you.

I'm pretty sure the GTA3 games did this. Maybe the later ones as well, but I haven't played those.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'm pretty sure the GTA3 games did this. Maybe the later ones as well, but I haven't played those.

games like gta5 and rdr2 and watch dogs all have random npc dialogue like that but it's definitely not as weird and stilted as the oblivion dialogue

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Does lamb’s rennet have to be used to make sheepsmilk cheese and calves’ rennet for cowsmilk or is rennet just rennet and species doesn’t matter?

E: oops I thought this was the GWS questions thread. Bookmark browsing :argh:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I've never really known where to ask this so here is as good a place as any

We Americans and stuff have our Renaissance Fairs but these are clearly celebrations of the European Middle Ages.

So what of places like Japan, China, India, or anywhere that isn't European? They have similar things I assume? Does anybody know any details about them?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

NikkolasKing posted:

I've never really known where to ask this so here is as good a place as any

We Americans and stuff have our Renaissance Fairs but these are clearly celebrations of the European Middle Ages.

So what of places like Japan, China, India, or anywhere that isn't European? They have similar things I assume? Does anybody know any details about them?

I don't think anywhere other than America does those. They're very weird.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
Wikipedia suggests ren fairs didn't actually start till the late 50s to mid 60s in the US and that, while plenty of other countries participate in historical reenactment stuff (or have theme parks around the idea--there's one in Japan for example), very few have a "let's pretend we're all going to a festival in a time completely culturally divorced from us" type of tradition

I suspect most ren fairs are less about historical accuracy/revisiting and more for giving people a socially acceptable place to LARP. Like they might have more in common with like, anime or sci fi conventions than anything else

Carillon
May 9, 2014

How far away from the sun would you have to be for it to be as bright as the full moon if to us?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Carillon posted:

How far away from the sun would you have to be for it to be as bright as the full moon if to us?

Sun apparent magnitude: −26.74

Moon apparent magnitude: −12.90

The difference between the two is 100(26.74−12.90)∕5, or approximately three hundred and fifty thousand.

The Sun is* one astronomical unit away, and the light falloff follows the inverse square law. Take the square root of three hundred and fifty thousand and the result is about six hundred. If you were six hundred times as far from the Sun as Earth is now, it would be as bright as the full Moon.

*Earth is actually near its closest approach, which happens in early January, but that’s the average. We’re a percent and a half closer right now.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

To give some additional context, Pluto is 39.5AU, Eris (the furthest-out dwarf planet) is 67.8AU on average, though it has a very elliptical orbit. So to get that magnitude, you're somewhere out in the Kupier belt.

EDIT: wait, why did I read that as 60 rather than 600? You'd still be somewhere in the Kupier belt, but well beyond any identified (or suggested) dwarf planets, out in the scattered disc. You'd have to be four times further away from the Sun than the first Voyager probe.

DigitalRaven fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Dec 19, 2021

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Mafic Rhyolite posted:

Gold, silver, and platinum are some of the least reactive substances known to exist, they will never react with oxygen in the air to burn, they'll just melt. Metals like magnesium or sodium will burn pretty easily because they're reactive as poo poo and perfectly happy to combine with oxygen, the reactive gas that makes up just over a fifth of the air that surrounds us.

e: also you can't burn helium, it's a noble gas. It's extremely difficult to get noble gasses to react with anything at all. As far as I'm aware you need pretty specialized equipment to do it, and even then it's mostly only the larger ones like krypton and xenon that they can really get to work on a large scale, not the smaller ones like helium and neon.

Can you boil gold and turn it into a gas if it’s hot enough?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

DigitalRaven posted:

To give some additional context, Pluto is 39.5AU, Eris (the furthest-out dwarf planet) is 67.8AU on average, though it has a very elliptical orbit. So to get that magnitude, you're somewhere out in the Kupier belt.

EDIT: wait, why did I read that as 60 rather than 600? You'd still be somewhere in the Kupier belt, but well beyond any identified (or suggested) dwarf planets, out in the scattered disc. You'd have to be four times further away from the Sun than the first Voyager probe.

It’s about four light days, way past the outer planets, past even the Kuiper Belt but way short of the next nearest star, which is four and quarter light years out there. It’s within the Oort Cloud still. That extends a long, long way.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Baron Porkface posted:

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit

Baron Porkface posted:

Given the correct temperature and pressure, every single element is capable of being solid, liquid, or gas. It's not hard at all to boil gold compared to freezing hydrogen.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Blood Nightmaster posted:

I suspect most ren fairs are less about historical accuracy/revisiting and more for giving people a socially acceptable place to LARP.

ive only been to a few but they mainly seem to be about selling fantasy-themed arts and crafts. not really "larping" so much as just hawking jewelry and art and food in a sort of pseudo-medieval character. most of the people not selling poo poo were generally not in any kind of costumes at all

maybe you are thinking of SCA stuff i think those people are a lot more dedicated to actual roleplaying, and with an emphasis more on history than fantasy.

and yes, there are historical re-enactments in asian countries. for example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shingen-ko_Festival

Tiggum posted:

I don't think anywhere other than America does those. They're very weird.

this isn't even remotely true. if you take a look at this list of the major re-enactment groups there are more british ones than american, and some of the larger ones have chapters all over the world

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Dec 19, 2021

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I've been roleplaying as a bad poster all along.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Astonishing that the sun is brighter from Pluto than the full moon is from here.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Astonishing that the sun is brighter from Pluto than the full moon is from here.

Oh, yeah, there was a social media thing that NASA(?) did several years go called Pluto Time. They made a list of what time of day, in locations all over the world, at which the light level is comparable to high noon on Pluto. And since it was a social media thing, they encouraged people to go outside at that time of day, take a picture, and post it on Twitter with the hash tag. I did it because I was curious, and yeah, it was surprisingly bright out. The sun had set but there was still plenty of light out to read by, for example. Now granted that's high noon, so that's as bright as it gets, but still. It was pretty wild!

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

Earwicker posted:

ive only been to a few but they mainly seem to be about selling fantasy-themed arts and crafts. not really "larping" so much as just hawking jewelry and art and food in a sort of pseudo-medieval character. most of the people not selling poo poo were generally not in any kind of costumes at all

I should clarify, I was more trying to say that they're alike in that conventions also have places that just make arts/crafts/sell food for a specialty subject as well as have people dressing up in said subject. At anime and sci fi ones it's just anime and sci fi and at ren fairs it is fantasy or medieval stuff. You're right tho, by comparison there's arguably less attendees at a ren fair actually dressing up compared to the people working there since they're trying to sell you on the theme itself

Blood Nightmaster fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Dec 19, 2021

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Does lamb’s rennet have to be used to make sheepsmilk cheese and calves’ rennet for cowsmilk or is rennet just rennet and species doesn’t matter?

E: oops I thought this was the GWS questions thread. Bookmark browsing :argh:

Well go post it. This enquiring goon wants to know!

Silver Falcon posted:

Oh, yeah, there was a social media thing that NASA(?) did several years go called Pluto Time.

Thanks for that. This'll be fun! 4:39 tonight in Plymouth MN, which is 4 minutes after sunset here. (I'm already impressed by how bright that actually is!) I assume they're not taking cloud cover into effect though, and it's overcast today, so I'll head out at about 4:30.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
Does anyone have a good recommendation for a VPN to use? I'm not doing anything cool like plotting to assassinate billionaires or politicians so it doesn't have to be like legit good, I just need something to make it so my ISP doesn't send angry letters about my petty crimes against copyright law. My NordVPN subscription is expiring soon and I'm wondering what's a better option.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Mafic Rhyolite posted:

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a VPN to use? I'm not doing anything cool like plotting to assassinate billionaires or politicians so it doesn't have to be like legit good, I just need something to make it so my ISP doesn't send angry letters about my petty crimes against copyright law. My NordVPN subscription is expiring soon and I'm wondering what's a better option.

Mullvad. Easy to use but still does everything a paranoid nerd could ask for. I've been happily using them for years.

Runner-up, ProtonVPN.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Gin posted:

I hate headaches. My pain tolerance is not too bad but even a mild headache turns me into a giant baby. Here are my methods for getting rid of a headache in no particular order-

Take a decongestant
Drink 36 oz of water
Drink 1 cup of coffee
Hot shower, turn to cool if it feels bad on your noggin.
Light massage in concentric circles in the area your head hurts.
Use a finger and thumb to pinch, quite hard, the other hand in the web between your thumb and pointer finger.

One of these normally helps for my common headache reasons (dehydrated, sinuses full, stress/worry, or hangover)

Make sure you're eating something, too!
Many thanks! As a follow up - is it normal to still feel fatigue a week after the shot?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Powered Descent posted:

Mullvad. Easy to use but still does everything a paranoid nerd could ask for. I've been happily using them for years.

Runner-up, ProtonVPN.

Mullvad had been suggested to me by multiple friends who work in IT.

Most of my IT friends (and also myself) think NordVPN is a honeypot. No solid proof, they're just very cheap, and very well-marketed.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Hi Friends, digital art questions

1. What are some *free and no sign-up* websites that process uploaded photos into different art styles?
Examples of the type of website tool I'm looking for:

2. What are some good websites that generate AI art?

3. What are good resources for step-by-step photoshop work flow tutorials for how to turn a photo into a certain art style?
  • Haven't found any
I scoped out the tutorials in the 2012 OP of the digital art thread on SA, but the tutorial resources there did not meet my needs.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Ornery and Hornery posted:

2. What are some good websites that generate AI art?

this is the best one i've found

https://colab.research.google.com/drive/1nWkU3HlGBF5Gl_XjWs_k-QIDDB18nDpK?usp=sharing#scrollTo=wSfISAhyPmyp

Ortho
Jul 6, 2021

No particular reason, but many, if not most, guides to building cob structures stress to keep it dry after not to built them cold. Does that me it can't ever be gotten wet or built in cold weather? Is there any particular coating (paint, say, or something else) that will make it water resilient), and how cold is cold?

Ortho fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Dec 20, 2021

Ortho
Jul 6, 2021

Realer question: I don't particularly care and will keep doing it either way, but is there a code issue with running old lights and appliances? Appliances not so much, but I'm very fond of 1910s lighting fixtures and I prefer original wiring. Never had an issue yet in 15 years, but it bothers some people and they tell me I'm violating "a code". Never what code and they can't tell me when pressed, just " a code"/

It seems a crime to tamper with something much older than me -- twice as old or more. A 90 year old lamp, after beeping it out on the meter to ensure safety, ought to be left alone in my mind. I wouldn't think of touching the wires. Even if they are frayed, I''d just put on a sleeve of heat-shrink tubing on if possible or just electrical tape if not, but almost none are damaged in any way. I do have some dangerous electrical things where the case becomes live, but.... well, just don't touch the case and you haven't a problem.

Edit: table lamps, primarily, but also floor lamps and wired-in electroliers.

Ortho fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Dec 20, 2021

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â

dustin.h posted:

Realer question: I don't particularly care and will keep doing it either way, but is there a code issue with running old lights and appliances? Appliances not so much, but I'm very fond of 1910s lighting fixtures and I prefer original wiring. Never had an issue yet in 15 years, but it bothers some people and they tell me I'm violating "a code". Never what code and they can't tell me when pressed, just " a code"/

It seems a crime to tamper with something much older than me -- twice as old or more. A 90 year old lamp, after beeping it out on the meter to ensure safety, ought to be left alone in my mind. I wouldn't think of touching the wires. Even if they are frayed, I''d just put on a sleeve of heat-shrink tubing on if possible or just electrical tape if not, but almost none are damaged in any way. I do have some dangerous electrical things where the case becomes live, but.... well, just don't touch the case and you haven't a problem.

Edit: table lamps, primarily, but also floor lamps and wired-in electroliers.
Is this a joke? Whether it's up to code or not, changing the wiring of ancient, dangerous electric equipment doesn't spoil the authenticity, just stops it from murdering or injuring you/others.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I was with you up to, “just don’t touch the case”.

Ortho
Jul 6, 2021

No no,. My home mt my antique m my old messabdand gaslights are primate new, though -- they're still made and mine arm's an my the house was built in c1795 and is far, far from, The 80-09- tear olds bright as eclectic lights s just wondering any Ths gas, lightsarea new,

Ortho fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Dec 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ortho
Jul 6, 2021

Edir 1=q Quote

Ortho fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Dec 20, 2021