Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

I think Shoreh Aghdashloo would be great in this show. But ideally not as Cadsuane. Because Cadsuane should be cut from the show. You can do it, Rafe. Fix Jordan's mistakes!

She is the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

So is there just not an animated short for episode 7 or...? Anyone heard anything?

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Rythian posted:

I think Shoreh Aghdashloo would be great in this show. But ideally not as Cadsuane. Because Cadsuane should be cut from the show. You can do it, Rafe. Fix Jordan's mistakes!

She is the worst.

Yep. No Cadsuane. Even Sanderson said Cadsuane should've just been Moiraine

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Hughmoris posted:

:hai:

Machin Shin in the books: "Flesh so fine, so fine to tear, to gnash the skin; skin to strip, to plait, so nice to plait the strips, so nice, so red the drops that fall; blood so red, so red, so sweet; sweet screams, pretty screams, singing screams, scream your song, sing your screams..."

Machin Shin in the show: "Why did you volunteer to write that log4j script? You don't know PowerShell. You can't remember the syntax to loop through objects. You're going to hard-lock your computer"

It's become that "dog that can hurt you in other ways" meme and I'm good with that.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Hollismason posted:

Reading Knife of Dreams and Egwene sowing discord all through out the White Tower while they keep her captive is pretty loving great. Although I hope this storyline is resolved this book. Although I don't think it will be.

Sadly not.

BTW is anyone else disappointed that Loial won't get to meet the Green Man?

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Mayor Dave posted:

Sadly not.

E: read wrong, way too late

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Mayor Dave posted:

Sadly not.

I am. I knew the Green Man probably wouldn't make it into the show, but it still stings a little. Him rambling at Rand about the Da'Shain, Loial meeting him, him obliterating Balthamel, that's all super cool.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Green Man will live on forever in our hearts with Tom Bombadil.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Staying up late and I can't put down Knife of Dreams, Tuon just declared Mat her husband!

Edit:

Okay I finished Knife of Dreams , the last book totally written by Robert Jordan it was a loving hell of a ride! So much poo poo happened in this book. Here are my uncollected thoughts.

Perrin and Failes story finally reached its conclusion! It wasn't to bad also it seems this is a end of Shaido possibly because Theravana announced them all getting the gently caress out of there to the 3 Fold Land and loving off. So that is two storylines resolved here.

Elayne get's captured, rescued, then captures Black Ajah, foiling the Black Ajah's plot against her. In the meantime she successfully gets the throne of Andor. Another long term plot line resolved! This was actually enjoyabled except for the fact that Aveindha was sent away and I really liked Avienhda , hopefully we get to see her POV chapter soon.

Rand faces and gets his goddamn hand blown off by Semirhage! Holy poo poo. Just Forsaken out of nowhere with this one. Not much was resolved with Rands plot line.

The Dark Ones grasp on reality is coming closer with weird poo poo happening whole villages getting swallowed by bubbles of evil was loving terrifying and out of loving no where. Probably one of the best sequences in the book.

Mat's story and now he's a loving prince! Tuon declares him to be her husband! That was shocking and out of place. I was surprised by it. Great loving story and Mat has finally met back up with the Red band.

What a great loving book after the last two were kind of almost preludes to this book setting the stage so to speak for all of this to happen.

Whats going to happen next? I have no idea. However I have 5 days of vacation and I've got 4 more books to read!

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Dec 19, 2021

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Hollismason posted:

Staying up late and I can't put down Knife of Dreams, Tuon just declared Mat her husband!

God, I love that chapter. Mat gets the upper hand over Karede and is looking slick, then moments later Tuon totally flips the script on him.

bio347 posted:

It's interesting that they didn't hold off on the Dragon Reborn identity reveal until the climax. It's like the entire point of the first book, and they spent so much time being coy about it, only to not hold through to the end.

You can tell by chapter 6 of The Eye of the World that Rand is the Dragon Reborn. Even if you miss the various clues in the text, the fact that 75% of the book is from Rand's point of view pretty much gives the game away. So by even trying to conceal who the Dragon Reborn is, the show actually creates and extends a sense of mystery that isn't in the book at all.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

jng2058 posted:

God, I love that chapter. Mat gets the upper hand over Karede and is looking slick, then moments later Tuon totally flips the script on him.

You can tell by chapter 6 of The Eye of the World that Rand is the Dragon Reborn. Even if you miss the various clues in the text, the fact that 75% of the book is from Rand's point of view pretty much gives the game away. So by even trying to conceal who the Dragon Reborn is, the show actually creates and extends a sense of mystery that isn't in the book at all.

Yeah its a great loving sequence. I just finished the book it was super loving good.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

"Matrim Cauthin is my bloody husband. That is the wording you used, correct?"

Tuon owns. At least she would if it weren't for the imperial slave-holding nation she's empress of.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Hughmoris posted:

:hai:

Machin Shin in the books: "Flesh so fine, so fine to tear, to gnash the skin; skin to strip, to plait, so nice to plait the strips, so nice, so red the drops that fall; blood so red, so red, so sweet; sweet screams, pretty screams, singing screams, scream your song, sing your screams..."

Machin Shin in the show: "Why did you volunteer to write that log4j script? You don't know PowerShell. You can't remember the syntax to loop through objects. You're going to hard-lock your computer"

YOU FORGOT TO OPEN THAT VALVE THE BLACK WATER IS GONNA OVERFLOW INTO THE BILGE AND MIX WITH OIL PLUS YOULL GET A FUEL PRESSURE LEAK WHILE YOURE TRYING TO PLUG THE HOLE

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I saw someone point out that the whole Perrin-Rand-Egwene drama was probably inserted because Mat's lingering dagger madness was originally going to cause the conflict between the Emond's Fielders this ep and they had to scrabble something together last minute. Even the bit of Perrin crush hinting in the first episode could be added in the edit and it was never really meant to be a Thing. If that's the case then I'm a lot less annoyed that they went to that well for cheap drama and, unless it comes up again, I'm going forward with that as my headcanon. I really hope they can salvage Perrin next season, though. I love the character but I don't like all the sadness they've got him carrying so far.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
There's way too many moments in the season hinting at Pegwene for it to be a last minute addition

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Its a really bizarre choice because out of all the characters from Emond's Field I'm pretty sure Perrin and Egwene interact the least in the following books. They go on their own adventure in book 1 but have no real screen time together in TGH or TDR and after the Shadow Rising I think they cross paths in T'A'R 3 or 4 times and don't ever actually meet in person again. And most of the T'A'R encounters is one of them seeing the other and thinking they don't know about T'A'R.

If they want to carry it forward in any way you're looking at an incredibly radical restructuring.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Rarity posted:

There's way too many moments in the season hinting at Pegwene for it to be a last minute addition

Are there? I probably missed a few. I figured if they really meant it to be a thing there'd have been at least a whiff of jealousy when she and Aram were hanging out but I didn't get that

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Off the top of my head:

- The stuff with Laila not going to Egwene's braid ceremony
- Them snuggling up by the fire in episode 2
- Perrin checking Egwene out during the Tinker dance
- Generally a high level of physical intimacy

There was enough there that I'd already picked up on the vibe halfway through the season

Hellbore
Jan 25, 2012
We're not that for off from Perrin splitting up from Rand/Egwene and not seeing each other for essentially the entire rest of the series, and this happens after Egwene and Rand break up anyway. So it's not going to matter in the long run.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Rythian posted:

She is the worst.

gently caress you. Cadsuane is one of the few sensible people in the Tower. Her meeting with Sorilea alone is enough to justify her inclusion.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Finished book three, I really liked the Perrin scene with him doing blacksmith work, it was well done.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Listening to the Audiobook of Eye, got to the part where Rand has to watch a vision of his naked mother be tortured by myrdraal and thinking about how the series is a lighthearted, feel-good romp from start to finish.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

SirSamVimes posted:

"Matrim Cauthin is my bloody husband. That is the wording you used, correct?"

Tuon owns. At least she would if it weren't for the imperial slave-holding nation she's empress of.

And she herself is a sul'dam who enjoys breaking women (basically the most horrific kind of abuse and torture you can imagine). Tuon's a piece of poo poo tbh and she never grows in the book.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Barreft posted:

Yep. No Cadsuane. Even Sanderson said Cadsuane should've just been Moiraine

If Moiraine was doing Cadsuane's job she wouldn't have hosed it up, and Rand would never have devolved as far as he has by TGS.

I don't think you actually need a Cadsuane to get Darth Rand and the Revelation on Dragonmount, but you absolutely do need an absence of Moiraine.

His Divine Shadow posted:

And she herself is a sul'dam who enjoys breaking women (basically the most horrific kind of abuse and torture you can imagine). Tuon's a piece of poo poo tbh and she never grows in the book.

Yeah, Tuon's a pretty awful person. I love every interaction she has with Mat in spite of that, though. That whole arc is a tonne of fun.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Aghdashloo for Sorilea and expand the role. Have her train Egwene in dreamwalking, deal with Aviendha and her bullshit and teach Rand al'Thor to laugh and cry again.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

bio347 posted:

It's interesting that they didn't hold off on the Dragon Reborn identity reveal until the climax. It's like the entire point of the first book, and they spent so much time being coy about it, only to not hold through to the end.

I feel like "big thing in second to last episode of the season" has been a common trend in TV lately.

Gives a big moment to ensure they catch the next episode and set up the pieces for next season.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I wonder if they will tone down the Seanchan in the TV show to make their later alliance for the last battle more palatable

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Cadsuane's a good character, the only problem is the way she's dumped in as this super special famous Aes Sedai who just hasn't been mentioned up till then but that's something the show can fix by giving her a bit of hype before we first meet her

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Cadsuane is amazing and I'd be pretty upset to lose her.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Nitrousoxide posted:

I wonder if they will tone down the Seanchan in the TV show to make their later alliance for the last battle more palatable

I hope not, because I think a major theme of the series is how hard it is to unify people together even for an important common purpose, and the Seanchan should be an obvious example of that. Without the entire slavery thing, we lose a lot of some obvious tension, or at least properly justified tension between them and the Tower.

Rarity posted:

Cadsuane's a good character, the only problem is the way she's dumped in as this super special famous Aes Sedai who just hasn't been mentioned up till then but that's something the show can fix by giving her a bit of hype before we first meet her

Yeah, Cadsuane role is fine in the series. One of the things I thought was weird after I finished reading the series and went online was how much she was hated by the online fandom (along with Egwene and Gawyn)

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I always liked Cadsuane; she was sensible and didn’t seem to go for all the dumb bullshit leaping to conclusions that otherwise plagued the Aes Sedai.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Yeah she was immediately portrayed as "I think I'm better than everyone else, but actually do things that are better than everyone else instead of just being arrogant." and that was pretty appealing given how incompetent so many people are!

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Yeah, Tuon's a pretty awful person. I love every interaction she has with Mat in spite of that, though. That whole arc is a tonne of fun.

I think the whole Mat and Tuon relationship is just bizarre, and didn't really make sense for either of them.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

teddust posted:

I think the whole Mat and Tuon relationship is just bizarre, and didn't really make sense for either of them.

I really like it and the culture clashes being near constant is a good mirror for Rand and Aviendha, and Perrin and Faile.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

CainsDescendant posted:

I saw someone point out that the whole Perrin-Rand-Egwene drama was probably inserted because Mat's lingering dagger madness was originally going to cause the conflict between the Emond's Fielders this ep and they had to scrabble something together last minute.

Is it confirmed that the reason Mat got left behind while the rest of the group took the ways was the actor leaving? I halfway thought they were setting up something where he'd get captured by the Shadow and end up at the the Eye anyway for the big showdown. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out in the finale, whether he's there or not.

Overall the show has been good so far although the speedrun pace makes me wonder how this is engaging new audiences. It feels like there's very little time for any of the characters or settings to breathe, and a lot of somewhat forced complexity/conflict that doesn't always land well.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Hollismason posted:

I'm excited to see what happens next for Perrin

:shobon:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Perrin's TGS-AMoL run is the best Perrin content since TSR :hai:

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Tuon’s a piece of poo poo but I really like her a Mat together. I bet she would get more growth if those side books got written.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I don't not like Tuon but she is not a good person like at all. I will be starting The Gathering Storm today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Mat Cauthon posted:

Is it confirmed that the reason Mat got left behind while the rest of the group took the ways was the actor leaving?

If you look at the concept art for the episode they're dated from March 2020 and they include Mat standing with Perrin, Rand, and Egwene at the Fal Dara waygate looking at the city, and there's another one of the tavern Min is working at with Mat in the foreground. So he was definitely supposed to come with the group in the initial production.