Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Commander Keene posted:

I thought Sony was being a huge PITA to devs who want to institute cross-play unless it's within the PlayStation ecosystem because :capitalism:

They care most when there's in-game currency/items to buy (i.e., anything by Hi-Rez, Apex, etc).

That said I can't see it happening, Nioh/2 never did,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Sony doesn't like it when you use Microsoft-bought items on their platform, they never got their cut after all, yet they are hosting you. There's big exceptions like a fair chunk of Destiny 2 DLC, but on the whole they bristle at it.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
So the general thinking is that Square is presenting this as a remake of FF1 with named characters for the party members, but the twist is that the four MCs become the four fiends/Garland that the actual party fights in FF1? Haven't been following it closely and didn't play the demo, mildly interested but it isn't totally clear what's official and what isn't.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Electromax posted:

So the general thinking is that Square is presenting this as a remake of FF1 with named characters for the party members, but the twist is that the four MCs become the four fiends/Garland that the actual party fights in FF1? Haven't been following it closely and didn't play the demo, mildly interested but it isn't totally clear what's official and what isn't.

Here: this should explain everything

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Electromax posted:

I haven’t played the demo but iirc the fact that Garland’s health bar title was “Chaos???“ tipped people off to the later confirmed twist that Jack’s full name is Jack Garland. The Four Fiends thing is speculation but really since they confirmed Jack Garland it’s not much of a stretch.

Tbh im interested because of the YouTube shitpost videos and the actual game looks legit fun to engage with, if it’s story is enjoyable-bad that’s a bonus but I just finished KH3 and as batshit as that story is the execution is mostly bland, so im kinda skeptical.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What I really want is an Octopath-engine game where the setting is either 6's industrial-revolution or 7/8's Diesel-punk.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

On the other end of the spectrum, Forspoken looks terrible because it's a dour generic high budget game where the developers were seemingly told no laughing or displays of joy allowed in the workplace

As far as AC type games go it looks a hell of a lot better than anything Ubisoft has done

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Dec 22, 2021

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Lastdancer posted:

Is there any interest in a FF7 Remake AMV done to Guns n' Roses November Rain? I mean I'm doing it anyway but I'm just curious

I like the song and kinda like the game so sure I'll watch it.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
One other FF7 thing that kind of amuses me is Cloud finding Cait Sith's ultimate weapon in the Shinra HQ your first time through and going "I'm not taking this, no reason to take anything we don't have a use for." I know it's just so you can't get an ultimate weapon in the first few hours of the game, but Cloud has no problem taking and holding onto Vincent's guns or Yuffie's weapons. I guess you could argue that at least those are weapons and a megaphone isn't (and there's no way Cloud could predict that someone would join them who uses them), but there's still stuff like the 1/35th Soldier or the Tissue Box or even the fake Masamune that serve no purpose but Cloud is happy to take them.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
It's also a cute hint that you'll return eventually.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

Twelve by Pies posted:

One other FF7 thing that kind of amuses me is Cloud finding Cait Sith's ultimate weapon in the Shinra HQ your first time through and going "I'm not taking this, no reason to take anything we don't have a use for." I know it's just so you can't get an ultimate weapon in the first few hours of the game, but Cloud has no problem taking and holding onto Vincent's guns or Yuffie's weapons. I guess you could argue that at least those are weapons and a megaphone isn't (and there's no way Cloud could predict that someone would join them who uses them), but there's still stuff like the 1/35th Soldier or the Tissue Box or even the fake Masamune that serve no purpose but Cloud is happy to take them.

"Megaphones are for losers." - Cloud Strife

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i'm having a lot more trouble getting used to the combat controls than i expected. knowing when to block, too. fun as hell, tho

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

FF7R: I just did the boss fight against Roche (as in the 1v1 duel) and he's a complete prick, I love him

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What I really want is an Octopath-engine game where the setting is either 6's industrial-revolution or 7/8's Diesel-punk.

I think we all need to buy the HELL out of DQ3-HD if we want them to go thru and put their back catalog through the Octopath engine.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Party Boat posted:

FF7R: I just did the boss fight against Roche (as in the 1v1 duel) and he's a complete prick, I love him

This is correct

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

i'm having a lot more trouble getting used to the combat controls than i expected. knowing when to block, too. fun as hell, tho

Really the only downside to holding block all the time is the slower movement speed. It’s good to get into the habit since the dodge roll has no invincibility frames and is rarely a better option outside of attacks like the Guard Scorpion Scorpion Sentinel’s shockwave.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I miss Roche. Probably the best new character in the remake

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I feel like VIIR probably has one of the steeper learning curves in a FF game? Quite a few combat mechanics are easily missed even if they give you a tutorial, and even then it's a very involved game.

Even in games like XII/XIII/XV your NPC buddies will usually be able to handle things eventually, but in VIIR you do have to take reins and swap often.

Which is fine, but it's probably not a 'I just want to shut my brain off and play some mash-y video games' option.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ApplesandOranges posted:

I feel like VIIR probably has one of the steeper learning curves in a FF game? Quite a few combat mechanics are easily missed even if they give you a tutorial, and even then it's a very involved game.

Even in games like XII/XIII/XV your NPC buddies will usually be able to handle things eventually, but in VIIR you do have to take reins and swap often.

Which is fine, but it's probably not a 'I just want to shut my brain off and play some mash-y video games' option.

It's an action game compared to an RPG. It's only really comparable to Lightning's Return in the franchise.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Lastdancer posted:

Is there any interest in a FF7 Remake AMV done to Guns n' Roses November Rain? I mean I'm doing it anyway but I'm just curious

Only if it costs as much as the original video

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/finalfantasyvii/status/1472688441389314048?s=21

interesting

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

I wish I could love the remake. I got to wall market and had to put it down and I never really picked it up again.

I don't love the battles and the game is SO loving SLOW. I completely understand that they had to pad out Midgar but Cloud moves around the fights and the slums like molasses, the party members don't do poo poo unless you're switching around to them all the time and it's way too on rails for my liking.

It does look loving awesome though. I think they absolutely nailed the slums and the graphics and the extra stuff they added to puff it out. It's great to see FF7 in real life, so to speak.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Tall Tale Teller posted:

I wish I could love the remake. I got to wall market and had to put it down and I never really picked it up again.

I don't love the battles and the game is SO loving SLOW. I completely understand that they had to pad out Midgar but Cloud moves around the fights and the slums like molasses, the party members don't do poo poo unless you're switching around to them all the time and it's way too on rails for my liking.

It does look loving awesome though. I think they absolutely nailed the slums and the graphics and the extra stuff they added to puff it out. It's great to see FF7 in real life, so to speak.

If you stay in the power stance the whole game than yeah you're not gonna be moving lol

Party Boat posted:

Just did this too. Also love Badger as Wedge

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Tall Tale Teller posted:

So you stayed in power stance and didn't like swapping characters all the time but the gameplay was too slow?

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
FF7R's battle system is pretty much perfect, it's more engaging than picking abilities out of a menu but still feels like the original game.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Yea I would not describe ff7re's gameplay as slow.

And on the easier difficulties it is absolutely a turn your brain off and hit buttons kind of game.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Tall Tale Teller posted:

I don't love the battles and the game is SO loving SLOW. I completely understand that they had to pad out Midgar but Cloud moves around the fights and the slums like molasses

https://twitter.com/SunhiLegend/status/1300205803446697991

https://twitter.com/SunhiLegend/status/1324781677441372164

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

I know how to play the video game you pack of weiners.

It's a slow game. I don't care for the battle system and it didn't hold my interest. It's not a bad game but I just can't hang with it.

Every Final Fantasy is the worst Final Fantasy.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The thread title has changed so that is no longer the case.

Final Fantasy is good now

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Just reminded that with the PC version SunhiLegend will now have the tools to make even better FF7R combat highlights

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Tall Tale Teller posted:

It's a slow game. I don't care for the battle system and it didn't hold my interest. It's not a bad game but I just can't hang with it.

Fine whatever, but to call the battle system itself slow is a fuckin lmao, it's like the best part of the game

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Tall Tale Teller posted:

I don't love the battles and the game is SO loving SLOW.

what

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tall Tale Teller posted:

You said the combat system is slow which is demonstrably untrue unless you don't know how to play the game.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/SunhiLegend/status/1314227833649205256

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
You can tell Final Fantasy 7 is a fantasy game because the giant corporation stops being evil when they realize they're killing the planet.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Twelve by Pies posted:

You can tell Final Fantasy 7 is a fantasy game because the giant corporation stops being evil when they realize they're killing the planet.

Nah, they know that early on and just want to find new ways to kill the planet. They only change their mind after their CEO has a near-death experience because of his own actions.

Which to be fair is still fantasy.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Tall Tale Teller posted:

It's the opposite of slow though, is the thing. The constant swapping around characters and using abilities off c/d keeps you moving constantly and if you know what you're doing battles are over incredibly fast. Like on hard mode I was having issues keeping up with all 3 party members cooldowns while juggling attacks and spells and poo poo in some of the digital arena fights.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Okay sorry I said it was slow. It's a very fast game now.

I feel bad that I'm not good at the battle system. I like it now though you all convinced me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

On the other end of the spectrum, Forspoken looks terrible because it's a dour generic high budget game where the developers were seemingly told no laughing or displays of joy allowed in the workplace

Considering what game developers get up to when they're allowed to have fun it's an alright trade off.