Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Sucker pruning isn't the way to go for all tomato varieties. If it's one that goes bushy as opposed to viney you can leave them.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/vegetables/tomato/determinate-vs-indeterminate.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

I was wondering the same, especially considering it's in a vertically constrained environment. I personally wouldn't prune and just make sure it gets plenty of food and light. Yes, most of them are indeterminate but you're not really looking for leg room in an indoor grow.

The leaf color is already amazing.

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I got an aerogarden and started 3 cherry tomato plants about a month ago and they are going gangbusters.

I remember reading there are some secondary actions I need to take to promote fruiting like trimming some of the branches or assisting pollination or whatever. Is there anything I'm supposed to be doing other than keeping the water/food levels correct?

The pollen falls and pollinates itself. Something that vibrates the plant like a fan can help fruiting.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Or just shake it.

Shake that plant.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

mischief posted:

Or just shake it.

In a hydroponic container, this is perhaps less fun than you envision. Or more, depending on how much you are turned on by mopping. A cheap paintbrush, twirl it in each flower, voila.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

As burned out as I get growing stuff outside at least I've never had to molest my plants. :v:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I prefer to think of it as being sex-positive. :colbert:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
drat I never really thought about how many partners I participate in sex with.

Does each flower count or do they have to have discontinuous vasculature?

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Platystemon posted:

drat I never really thought about how many partners I participate in sex with.

Does each flower count or do they have to have discontinuous vasculature?

I don't know what discontinuous vasculature is, but I'm intrigued.

I mean, I want to please my plants, if you know what I mean and I think you do.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

rojay posted:

I don't know what discontinuous vasculature is, but I'm intrigued.

I mean, I want to please my plants, if you know what I mean and I think you do.

Means they don’t have any fluid connexions between them. The flowers are all on what can be said to be one plant.

It’s something of a distinction without a difference because plants are weird and we can join and separate them basically at will. What is one plant today may be two plants tomorrow or vice versa.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

mischief posted:

As burned out as I get growing stuff outside at least I've never had to molest my plants. :v:

They’d do it themselves* if they could.

*probably all the drat time if they could figure out how. we’re lucky it’s quiet.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Plants molest human respiratory passages all the time.

We spend tens of billions of dollars annually treating the symptoms.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Thanks everyone.

mischief posted:

I was wondering the same, especially considering it's in a vertically constrained environment. I personally wouldn't prune and just make sure it gets plenty of food and light. Yes, most of them are indeterminate but you're not really looking for leg room in an indoor grow.

The leaf color is already amazing.

To be clear, the lamp slides up the column so it's not actually vertically constrained (or at least not for a few more inches).

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
I know it's nothing compared to most of yall but still made me happy to see today.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

iwentdoodie posted:

I know it's nothing compared to most of yall but still made me happy to see today.

Our secret is we also have lots of problems that creep in every growing season (and then buy too many things in the off season).

Those look like happy plants and I hope you get lots of fruit.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

My secret is that berries are my kryptonite.

That looks awesome and kudos to you for pulling it off.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Haha, thank you both.

That was yesterday or day before. About to pick the two bibb plants clean and take them out since they're both bolting and have started to block other plants. So far it's the only thing that's been eaten out of it.

I honestly have no idea how to tell when the romaine is ready, the snap peas (or beans, I honestly can't remember at this point) keep getting taller and I still haven't latticed them, and it warmed up again so I know broccoli and Brussels will probably still be awhile, but they're all healthy seeming and the stalks are probably just shy of 1/2" diameter. My one collard plant also went from tiny to loving massive seemingly overnight.

Seriously considering building a small raised bed next to the house this week and just filling it with some collards since they seem to be pretty hardy.

I probably should've done more research on what grows here and when, but last time I did that the info was super out of date with current temperature trends.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
What's the best place to order mature strawberry plants for next year? I'm looking at this place: https://onegreenworld.com/product-category/fruiting-ground-covers/strawberry/ any other suggestions?

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

showbiz_liz posted:

What's the best place to order mature strawberry plants for next year? I'm looking at this place: https://onegreenworld.com/product-category/fruiting-ground-covers/strawberry/ any other suggestions?

I got some ornamentals from them this spring and didn't have any complaints. Go for it, I say.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I highly, highly recommend mara des bois, which is a crossbreed of wild strawberries and domesticated strawberries. You wouldn't want them as your only crop, but they have the most intense taste. One Green World carries them, too!

https://onegreenworld.com/product/mara-des-bois-strawberry/

However, I'd recommend buying in bare-root bunches rather than prepotted. Planting out strawberries is dead easy. Last year I bought from Nourse Nurseries, but they're sold out for 2022. Burpee has them, and they're pretty reliable.
https://www.burpee.com/strawberry-mara-des-bois-prod001561.html

Never ordered from these people, but I'm trying them.

https://handpickednursery.com/products/mara-des-bois-strawberry-plant-buy-3-get-1-free-non-gmo-free-shipping

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Dec 11, 2021

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

God is the sweat running down his back...

iwentdoodie posted:

Haha, thank you both.

Your soil and plants look so frickin' healthy.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
I'm jonesing hard for spring already. Think I am going to spend a good portion of my holiday days off obsessively planning my garden for 2022.

Very eager to try out a three sisters bed, even though I know corn is probably more fussy than it's worth.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Chad Sexington posted:

Very eager to try out a three sisters bed, even though I know corn is probably more fussy than it's worth.

You can use sunflowers in place of corn.

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.
I ordered Sunchokes for next year and they grow thick stalks too. May be too invasive for your liking since they spread their tubers out.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Does anyone in warm climates still have tomatoes growing? I'm in Southern California. I had a couple of bush tomatoes die off around September/October. But this other indeterminate variety keeps going. Its still producing and the whole plant is doubling in size every month so I have to keep cutting it back. It's a huge tangled mess and I really should just kill it altogether. I've got spider mites now and this variety isn't particularly flavorful anyway.

Should I have killed this off sooner? I don't know what the rules are for tomatoes. I grew up in a place where the frost would kill them and you wouldn't have to think about it.

I mean I'm not going to complain about fresh tomatoes at Christmas.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

FogHelmut posted:

Does anyone in warm climates still have tomatoes growing? I'm in Southern California. I had a couple of bush tomatoes die off around September/October. But this other indeterminate variety keeps going. Its still producing and the whole plant is doubling in size every month so I have to keep cutting it back. It's a huge tangled mess and I really should just kill it altogether. I've got spider mites now and this variety isn't particularly flavorful anyway.

Should I have killed this off sooner? I don't know what the rules are for tomatoes. I grew up in a place where the frost would kill them and you wouldn't have to think about it.

I mean I'm not going to complain about fresh tomatoes at Christmas.

In warm places tomatoes don't actually die. They can keep growing and you might be able to keep it growing until March/April when you'd be planting new ones. If you're having pest problems though, best to just tear it out and start again in the spring when it gets warm enough to start them outside fresh.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Queen-Of-Hearts posted:

You can use sunflowers in place of corn.

Plus it will almost always be way more rewarding. I've never had anything but frustration trying to grow corn on a small to medium scale.

Just keep in mind that if you grow sunflowers in your garden for one year, you'll be growing sunflowers in your garden forever. And that's totally awesome.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

mischief posted:

Plus it will almost always be way more rewarding. I've never had anything but frustration trying to grow corn on a small to medium scale.

Just keep in mind that if you grow sunflowers in your garden for one year, you'll be growing sunflowers in your garden forever. And that's totally awesome.

Similarly, don’t ever plant zinnias unless you want zinnias forever and everywhere (plant zinnias).

I bet okra could work well for a 3 sisters kind of thing, except it doesn’t really jump up until later in the season.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Okra is another bogeyman plant for me. We've planted it several years and had nothing but frustration. I've got a pile of Clemson Spineless seeds that we have used multiple times, it's proven to be extremely tough and resilient. I can get the plant about hip height and to set fruit but then they invariably stall, plus the drat things are worse than beans to go from "almost ready to pick" to "stringy foam seed carriers" overnight. I always end up with a big bowl of them in the garage drying out to harvest the seeds... and the cycle repeats the next year.

They're a pretty plant and always welcome in a southern garden but drat I'm bad at growing them.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Made the mistake of popping an avocado seed and now I have a little avocado tree growing in a pot in my weed shed, five minutes from the mountains in Colorado. :(

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

i am harry posted:

Made the mistake of popping an avocado seed and now I have a little avocado tree growing in a pot in my weed shed, five minutes from the mountains in Colorado. :(

I am so guilty of this.

I have a durian seedling right now. It turns out that that fruit was quite fresh. The plant looks cute under my grow light, but durians are ultratropical. They don’t just need a frost‐free climate. They can’t even get within a dozen degrees of frost, and I mean Celsius. They also don’t fruit till they’re at least three storeys tall, so fruiting one indoors would be a bit of a challenge. Not to mention the soil requirements.

I’m going to keep it as long as I can as a houseplant. It may need to be kept forever under glass or plastic to maintain humidity.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

mischief posted:

Okra is another bogeyman plant for me. We've planted it several years and had nothing but frustration. I've got a pile of Clemson Spineless seeds that we have used multiple times, it's proven to be extremely tough and resilient. I can get the plant about hip height and to set fruit but then they invariably stall, plus the drat things are worse than beans to go from "almost ready to pick" to "stringy foam seed carriers" overnight. I always end up with a big bowl of them in the garage drying out to harvest the seeds... and the cycle repeats the next year.

They're a pretty plant and always welcome in a southern garden but drat I'm bad at growing them.
I have no problem at all growing okra and by August they're 8' tall, I just have a problem making myself do anything in the garden in August, and so all my okra pods are a foot long and I never pick them.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

I had an odd and ends jar with a few cucumbers, some garlic, a dried cayenne, and some runty roma tomatoes. Several months pickling does lovely, lovely things to tomatoes in those conditions.

Count me in on the sunflower 3 sisters club this Spring.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

mischief posted:

I’d try a whole new variety of those haven’t worked for you for multiple years. Also, if you keep seeds from poorly performing plants, you’re selecting FOR traits that you didn’t like. Seeds are cheap, be kind to yourself.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

mischief posted:

For okra you basically just need it warm. If the soil's too rich in nitrogen then the plants might be robust but not produce, otherwise okra's pretty tolerant of soil quality. The "trick", in so far as there is one, is that flowering in most cultivars is triggered by the length of the day--most of them start flowering when the daylight drops to ~11 hours a day.

So grab an almanac or whatever to find out when that is in your neck of the woods, take a look at the seed packet to see how long it takes that cultivar to reach maturity and just do the math. If you've got a short growing season you can try "dwarf" varieties--they're called that because they reach maturity more rapidly, and therefore when the plant is smaller. That helps when the window in late spring/early summer where it doesn't get too cool at nights is short.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

SubG posted:

For okra you basically just need it warm. If the soil's too rich in nitrogen then the plants might be robust but not produce, otherwise okra's pretty tolerant of soil quality. The "trick", in so far as there is one, is that flowering in most cultivars is triggered by the length of the day--most of them start flowering when the daylight drops to ~11 hours a day.

So grab an almanac or whatever to find out when that is in your neck of the woods, take a look at the seed packet to see how long it takes that cultivar to reach maturity and just do the math. If you've got a short growing season you can try "dwarf" varieties--they're called that because they reach maturity more rapidly, and therefore when the plant is smaller. That helps when the window in late spring/early summer where it doesn't get too cool at nights is short.

That explains why I've never had luck with even short growing season okra, because where I am it gets too cold by the time the daylight gets that short. In fact our 'official' first-frost date is before that!

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Platystemon posted:

I’m going to keep it as long as I can as a houseplant. It may need to be kept forever under glass or plastic to maintain humidity.

I just sprouted a pomegranate seed and have some jackfruit seeds soaking :cry:

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Just a small question. Anyone got a place they really like for buying fruit trees? I found a couple but I feel like a tree is a little bit of an investment so I'd figured it wouldn't hurt to hear a recommendation. Something that is in or can deliver to new york if that helps narrow it down.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Just a small question. Anyone got a place they really like for buying fruit trees? I found a couple but I feel like a tree is a little bit of an investment so I'd figured it wouldn't hurt to hear a recommendation. Something that is in or can deliver to new york if that helps narrow it down.

I've bought from tytyga and onegreenworld and in both cases the trees turned out fine. I think most places have a guarantee of some sort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Whitenoise Poster posted:

How big? At some point the only real choice is local unless you're buying in serious quantity.